Anime that you gave up on..

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Anna Roz » Fri May 07, 2004 11:26 am

Pocket Monsters- After the second season, it went downhill for me. I can't believe the Japanese kids aren't tired of it YET. And there's over 300 monsters now. Next thing you know, they'll make a million of them..

Dragonball GT- Surprisingly enough, this is the only Dragonball series that I hate. If you thought DBZ was repetitive, GT only reinforces that, and tries too hard to recapture the "feel" that Dragonball and Dragonball Z had. It's a good thing that it ended so soon. I guess Toei (somewhat) learned that if you try to drag out a good thing too long, it's bound to come back stale..

Digimon- Haven't seen the Japanese version, but after the first two seasons, I quit. But the good thing is, that unlike Pocket Monsters, they actually let the show rest in peace after 4 seasons..

FLCL- The show used to be on my favorites list, but after watching all 6 episodes over and over, I'm starting to get pretty irritated. I think I'll take a BIG break from it before ever watching it again..

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri May 07, 2004 2:38 pm

Dragonball GT- Surprisingly enough, this is the only Dragonball series that I hate. If you thought DBZ was repetitive, GT only reinforces that, and tries too hard to recapture the "feel" that Dragonball and Dragonball Z had. It's a good thing that it ended so soon. I guess Toei (somewhat) learned that if you try to drag out a good thing too long, it's bound to come back stale..
oh god yes... Manga artists actually know when to stop making a series.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Fri May 14, 2004 9:42 pm

I also gave up on Digimon. I'm talking about the dub, btw. I LOVED the first season, thought it was genius. I loved the characters, the attacks, corny humour...The second season...Was good, but not as awesome as the first season. I liked the new characters introduced, and everything else...But it just wasn't as good as the first season. The third season...Oh my. Strange-ness galore. It was ok, but I didn't like all the characters that they had, and the fact that they made the first two seasons turn into a t.v show just wasn't right in my book. Fourth season...No. It's weird, has a stupid theme song (Hey, I didn't mind the techno one, but this one is too corny...) and they took all my favourite digimon and replaced their voices, making them sound weird...*sob* It was a long, downhill ride...
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Fri May 14, 2004 11:43 pm

bobobo-bobo-bobo-bobobobo-bobobobobobobo-bobobo or whatever--too many damn "bos" to count
not yet, but i'm really considering it. its off the wall humor was amusing for a while, but it gets beyond tiring quickly. i would just like one episode with a plot! or at least one that makes sense! and this is coming from a guy who's only seen the first 4 episodes. i swear, if i don't so much as laugh out loud during episode 5 bobobobobobobobobobobobo's getting the boot.
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:14 pm

Choc wrote:Anyway, another anime I want to add to my list is Full Metal Panic!. The second the series no longer revolved in a school building, and the second the annoying klutzy girl (TM) Testarossa Theresa came, I lost all interest.
Huh? Testarossa wasn't klutzy, she was really elegant sometimes.

I never really give up on anime. I usually watch what my friends like, and then I end up liking it. Often I watch the first episode of stuff and hate it, but that's not really giving up.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:33 pm

Inuyasha. I watched three episodes, thought it looked like a good dub (when people got hit you SAW it, there was blood, Kagome was in the shower and they actually left in close ups). But after the jewel broke I could tell what was going to happen. Hmmmm, an important item that everyone's after breaks into a million pieces...I wonder if they have to go after it and spend over a million episodes trying to reconstruct it -_-. Plus when Kagome returned to her home after the second episode I was like 0___o; oh God, please don't let this be a recouring thing.

I actually watched DBZ back in the day (grade 6). I can't remember when I stopped watching it, but it was because nothing new happened and got repetitive.

Digimon in the third season. As much as I hate the dub (sooooooo much SDA) I watched it because the last two arcs kicked ass. When season two came, I thought it was okay (even more SDA), but i kept watching it thinking it would get better, and it did when [spoiler]Ken turned good[/spoiler]. Then it started getting serious and dramatic. The third season was crap, but I watched all of it thinking it would get better, it didn't. Then I watched the first episode of the fourth season -_- that was enough, no more.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:34 pm

Pokemon- It used to like it but it got too annoying.

DragonBall GT- I still love DBZ my second fav anime show since I dont watch anime too much. But GT boring and I got lost in their story plot too boring for me.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:37 pm

I don't think this series ever got mentioned. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG. I used to watch that show and play the video games religiously when I was a kid, but now it's just really stupid and annoying to me.

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:09 pm

which one? sonic x?
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:36 pm

yamijounouchi wrote:which one? sonic x?
I don't know. All the sonic series were all the same to me.

Mewteos
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mewteos » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:32 pm

Inuyasha - I loved this series when it began, but once I got...oh, 70 episodes or so into it, you'd think they would've made some progress on finding Naraku.

Love Hina - Awesome manga, but the anime makes me cringe >.<;;

Prince of Tennis - ...It was...interesting, three episodes in. But having never played tennis, I didn't care too much.

Real Bout High School - O.o; Wow. Let's find an excuse to stick as many pantyshots in while sort of carrying a plot. Didn't like it one bit.

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:41 pm

Let's see...

Comic Party - I sure this is a good series, I know this is a good series, but I don't know enough about anime to get all the in-jokes in this show. My friend showed me this first episode of this... no luck. :oops: I felt so bad that I didn't appreciate it!

Pocket Monsters (Pokemon) - I liked it when I about 10 (I still like the games :oops: ) but I got bored of it ages ago. Nothing wrong with the dub, it's just not aimed at my age group.

Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat - OK, I normally LOVE Di Gi Charat, but this didn't appeal to me. All the characters had lost their evil streak, plus, no Rabi en Rose!?! I don't care if her Seiyuu is the narrator, it's still not the same. :( I may try and watch more of this series, there's just other things I'm watching at the moment. :)
~So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:22 am

Pocket Monsters:
After watching most of the first season and the first three movies, I got tired of it. And then they released another 100 monsters. :x Plus, with no availability of the Japanese dub and many many reruns (before the new seasons), I just stopped bothering.

Legend of Condor Hero:
The animation is crappy. The only redeeming thing about this anime is beautiful opening and ending sequences. The characters are average-looking. The only beautiful design is of Shouryuujo. The Chinese martial arts/sword fights are cheesy and bad. This is good for a kids show (but I doubt they would understand all that's happening) but too shallow for an action fan to appreciate. I'd say stick with the old Hong Kong live action version starring Andy Lau or read the novels. :x

Piano:
This is a pretty...plain series. It talks about a girl who is taking piano lessons. Yeah. :roll: I have watched 3 episodes of it (I think it has 10), it has little to no comedy, no romance, no action, it's just everyday life. The most exciting things in the first three episodes must be the girl's piano lessons with an attractive male teacher. I would think that would leave somewhere but not really by the end of episode 3. I don't think a fan can stay that long for something to happen. It would have been great if it became a live action drama series but not as an anime. It features beautiful character designs by Kosuke Fujishima (Ah! My Goddess, You're Under Arrest!).

Serial Experiments Lain:
My Blockbuster was so limited and the only thing attracting was the first two volumes of Lain on DVD. Everybody thought this was a good series that's a bit confusing so I rented them both. :x I had to suffer through several hours of confusion (I didn't want to waste my money). I almost fell asleep. And what is with that repeated scene of the light pole?! :?

NekoSun518
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by NekoSun518 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:26 pm

From the anime I've seen I've given up on the following

YuGiOh - It started to get really boring for me, really fast. It was like, oh Yugi's gonna win and all will be well. The only episodes I like to watch of it are where Kaiba beats Yugi...thats damn cool.

DragonBall/Z/GT - I can't stand watching it for the most part. Theres a few episodes I find really interesting and funny, but other then that it just seems so stupid to me.

FLCL - My friends love this and I don't know why. I tried to watch it, I really did and I got bored and confused halfway through the first episode. So, I just never bothered to finish watching it.

Gundam series - with the exception of Gundam Wing, I dislike the Gundam serieses (cant spell). I tried to watch the ones that came on Toonami and I watched maybe like the first 2 or 3 episodes of them and they just bored me. I couldn't stand them at all.

And I know this is off topic but is MKR really that bad? I've never seen it or read the manga....so I have no real clue. I'm just curious cuz I've been thinking of trying it out.
My Myspace

A convo between me and my best friend Shannen

Me: Did something just explode?
Shan: *looks at me*
Me: What was that noise?
Shan: Jackie, its been thundering out for the past half hour.
Me: It has?
Shan: Yes, Jackie. Your brain exploded.

"But I am le tired"
"Well have a nap then FIRE Z MISSILES!"

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:02 pm

Ranma 1/2. After a season and a half, I started seeing the same thing over and over--the same water gags, the same martial arts comedy, the same star-crossed lover storyline. I didn't think watching more of it would give me any new information or entertainment.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:Ranma 1/2. After a season and a half, I started seeing the same thing over and over--the same water gags, the same martial arts comedy, the same star-crossed lover storyline. I didn't think watching more of it would give me any new information or entertainment.
Yeah, I didn't care for how they did the anime. I love the manga, but mostly for the artwork (Rumiko draws the most hilarious expressions and comedic scenes), and becuase it's good mindless entertainment at times. The anime sucks, IMO.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:10 pm

I know this is going to make me sound contradictory and overly sensitive, but I didn't like Excel Saga, and I thought I would. I got it sort of on a whim at ACen, which means it's going to be rather difficult to get money/get it exchanged since it wasn't bought at a store, but that's beside the point.

1) The thing with Menchi disturbs me, and I think it's because I love my own dogs so much. Actually, it wouldn't be disturbing if it weren't for the ending song; the whimpering in it sounds like my dog Aggie whining in the car, only more truly sad instead of just panicky. I've heard that[spoiler] she doesn't eat Menchi anyway[/spoiler] but because I'm a dog lover, I still don't like that.

2) I also don't like the way Pedro is treated because he reminds me of the Mexican laborers my dad helps in his job, and I guess I only think abuse is funny if the target is someone with a degree of "power" or else a total fool-head anyway. (like with Usagi, and even that's just teasing) So a personal reason there, too.

It's odd, though, that I don't like that, yet I'm a fairly big fan of Azumanga Daioh. I mean, Tomo and Yukari-sensei inadvertently abuse Chiyo-chan in various ways (she's often smacked in the head with various things in gym class) yet that doesn't disturb me as much. Maybe it's because they're all kind of on the same level, all high school students/immature teacher. I'm rather confused at myself for disliking Excel Saga, actually, I almost feel guilty for being disturbed by such a show. I tell myself that it's a different culture and that kind of thing, but then again, I've also heard that it parodies many genres of anime, and since I don't watch MANY MANY different anime enough, maybe that's why I don't think it's as funny.

The most bizarre thing is, though, that I like the opening theme. Weird, huh? Then again, I like Eva's OP theme and I don't like the Eva show itself...maybe I'm just more of a sucker for music!
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:00 am

NekoSun518 wrote:

And I know this is off topic but is MKR really that bad? I've never seen it or read the manga....so I have no real clue. I'm just curious cuz I've been thinking of trying it out.
This is my own personal opinion, but I liked the manga of Magic Knight Rayearth better than the anime. The first season made a lot of changes to the storyline I didn't like but the second season and the OVAs were much better. A lot of people hate the Rayearth OVAs, but I personally found them to be more enjoyable than the tvseries. If you're going to check out Magic Knight Rayearth, I'd recommend reading the manga first followed by the tvseries and the OVAs. That's the route I took and with the expection of the first season of the anime, it was pretty enjoyable to me, but that's just my opinion.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:53 pm

Lesse, some series I gave up on:

Neon Genesis Evagalion: just not my thing

Dragon Ball Z: (is that supposed to all be one word < _<) Anyway, I liked until the Freiza saga. Then it went downhill for me. How many times can Freiza transform? For Pete's sake, man, just skip to the most powerful form already! X_x

Pokemon: I missed some episodes because my work schedule changed, and when I finally was able to catch a new episode, they were still on their way to the same freakin' town as they were the last time I watched it. o_o; I still watch it from time to time, but not the way I used to.

YuYu Hakusho: My work schedule changed again, and I missed too many episodes. I was going to catch up on repeats or buy the DVDs but never did.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:01 pm

Full Metal Alchemist- Jesus, this show is overrated. I had high hopes for this show. After the first run of episodes on Adult Swim, I gave up. The out of place comical moments, killing off great characters left and right, and Ed's annoying "I'M NOT SHORT!" gag just made me give up on the show.

Wolf's Rain- I have to admit, I love the characters, the designs, and the animation. But it seemed like the story went no where. And the ending was a HUGE LETDOWN. [spoiler]it pretty much rip off Sailor Moon Classic's ending[/spoiler]

Please Twins- I watched the first volume, and got bored half way through the first episode. It just seemed like a typical harem show, completely pointless. Mabye if it had more Maiku nudity I would like it better. Within a week, I gave my DVD away.

Angelic Layer- This show looked fun. Too bad it put me to sleep. It just seemed so slow, and it left flat. The manga seemed to have more life in it.