Anime that you gave up on..

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Mon May 15, 2006 11:58 pm

Fushigi Yuuigi- Miaka was so annoying that I never even bothered to watch the second season. Seriously, every guy in the show wanted her including the gay one. She was loud and annoying and kept putting the other characters in danger. Oh, and in one episode she had a minor wound on her arm while one of her guardians entire body was bandaged from wounds, yet she's the one who gets healed while the more injured character had to wait a whole day! Would have enjoyed the series if it wasn't for her.

Inuyasha- It just got old.

DBZ- Lost interest after the Cell saga. Though Goten and Trunks were cute kids, but couldn't keep me interested.

Gundam Wing- Started to lose interest in the series halfway through and as soon as Relena became Queen I just couldn't stomach the series anymore.

Pokemon- watch five or six episodes and got bored of it.

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Tue May 23, 2006 9:35 am

inuyasha - i'm a bit hesitant about completely giving up on this show, considering what a big fan i was, but really, it's just way too repetitive and unoriginal after a while. i stopped watching around that whole shichinintai saga, i couldn't even make it to the end of it. after a while i just decided that i really didn't care how inuyasha and his buddies would all make it out alive this time.
yuu yuu hakusho - technically i watched it till the end, but i really wish i hadn't. that was without a doubt the most disappointing ending i've ever seen. [spoiler]i mean to set up the ending as they did just to pull a tournament out of their ass?! did this show really need another tournament after the 30 or 40 some episode long tournament that they already had? moreover, why in god's name would they squeeze it into the last few episodes? what a cop-out.[/spoiler]
naruto - and i know i'm not the only one. come on, over a year's worth of filler! why not just cancel the thing? i watched the first episode of the filler and couldn't tolerate another one. i do still read the manga, but i'm honestly becoming a bit weary of it as well. [spoiler]i really have no desire to see another fight between naruto and sasuke. not to mention the fact that naruto only has like two or three jutsu in his repertoire.[/spoiler] i'll resume watching the anime after the filler ends, but who knows when that will be? everytime someone says it's going to end it doesn't, so i've just been trying to put it out of my mind.
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Yugioh: Same old thing every time. Plot was always the same. Heart of the Cards crap. And in some thread a couple of pages back, we can't forget Marik's infamous line: "Taste my rod, Yugi!!!". -_-;;;;;

Pokemon/Pocket Monsters: One reason why: Same thing AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:32 pm

I gave up on Yu Yu Hakusho and Naruto for the same reason. They both started out interesting and really cool but after about 10 episodes they devolved into another Dragon Ball Z rip off so I quit watching them.

Another series I gave up on because it offended my intelligence. the series Hanaukyo Maid Team and its a spoiler why so I'll treat it as such

[spoiler] The character Cynthia/Grace is messed up. The character herself isn't the problem it's how she is handled. Cynthia and Grace are the same person. A child suffering from multple personality disorder. There is an episode where they are trying to cure her of this disorder, but they choose not to because "They dont want to miss the personality that would be lost." This is terrible because MPD is a serious condition, its not "kawaii" and its not something to make fun of. I guess my offense comes from my special education training where I have been told about and actually seen this disorder. Seeing it treated as a cute character trait just bothered me so much it ruined the show for me.[/spoiler]
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:03 pm

One Piece: I heard a bunch of good stuff about this so I downloaded the first 30 episodes. I stopped watching after episode 8. I found nothing interesting about it except for the red-haired chick. I also don't like the art style.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:53 am

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:Another series I gave up on because it offended my intelligence. the series Hanaukyo Maid Team and its a spoiler why so I'll treat it as such

[spoiler] The character Cynthia/Grace is messed up. The character herself isn't the problem it's how she is handled. Cynthia and Grace are the same person. A child suffering from multple personality disorder. There is an episode where they are trying to cure her of this disorder, but they choose not to because "They dont want to miss the personality that would be lost." This is terrible because MPD is a serious condition, its not "kawaii" and its not something to make fun of. I guess my offense comes from my special education training where I have been told about and actually seen this disorder. Seeing it treated as a cute character trait just bothered me so much it ruined the show for me.[/spoiler]
"Offended your intelligence"?!?

GET OVER YOURSELF!

It's a TV show. If we had to sanitize everything to satisfy every whiner and complainer by getting rid of all "offending" material, then both comedy and drama would be dead and buried forever. Not that HMT really warrants being defended, but you're criticizing it for the wrong reason.

Also, in your case, avoid a series called Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:45 am

Hm, I never lost interest in the anime I watched, but that's what some manga did do. Well except for:

Tenchi Muyo! Not even the manga could satisy me. All that there was was pure boredom. Ok, it was drawn good (in both manga and anime), the animation was fluent, the characters were okay, I guess, but the storyline... I gave up on it in no time because it was just too boring to watch or read. :?

Okay, I just name the manga now that I lost interest in:
- Manga Love Story, Love Hina (I hated the characters... okay, I wasn't fond of them, so to speak)
- X (it became dull after awhile)
- Shinshi Doumei Cross (Arina Tanemura isn't god at inventing stories, no siree)
- 3x3 Eyes

that's all ^^°

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:28 am

Aya Reiko

GET OVER YOURSELF!

It's a TV show. If we had to sanitize everything to satisfy every whiner and complainer by getting rid of all "offending" material, then both comedy and drama would be dead and buried forever. Not that HMT really warrants being defended, but you're criticizing it for the wrong reason.

"Offends my intelligence" is a term that means something is so simple or stupid you can't enjoy it, it has nothing to do with offencive material.

"I refuse to watch Jackass The Movie because it's nothing but a bunch of dumbass stoners hurting themselves. It offends my intelligence."

"Pokemon is the same repetitive shit over and over. It hurts to watch it 'cause it offends my intelligence."
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:44 am

Aya Reiko wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:Another series I gave up on because it offended my intelligence. the series Hanaukyo Maid Team and its a spoiler why so I'll treat it as such

GET OVER YOURSELF!

this isnt about getting over myself. its a serious condition they were making fun of that bothered me. ok maybe it wasnt my intelligence it offended but my sensabilities.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:16 am

::Mod Mode::

Aya Reiko I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions, but please calm down. -_-; There was no reason to get that upset over a person's comment like you did. He just thought that some of the elements of the show were poorly handled. Reading the reasoning behind his views I can understand why. I get the same way when people confuse Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder (Dissociative Identity Disorder). It's a pet peeve that takes the fun out of whatever I was enjoying. I don't think he meant it as the start of some kind of censoring crusade.

::edited to correct my gender slips::
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:44 am

Tempest wrote:::Mod Mode::

Aya Reiko I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions, but please calm down. -_-; There was no reason to get that upset over a person's comment like you did. He just thought that some of the elements of the show were poorly handled. Reading the reasoning behind his views I can understand why. I get the same way when people confuse Schizophrenia and Multiple Personality Disorder (Dissociative Identity Disorder). It's a pet peeve that takes the fun out of whatever I was enjoying. I don't think he meant it as the start of some kind of censoring crusade.

::edited to correct my gender slips::
for the record Im very much against censorship

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:58 am

::MOD MODE::

And while I don't like to beat a dead mule, to further back up Tempest, I don't understand why Sailormars Obsessed fan is not allowed to express his opinion on why he gave up on an anime in a "Anime you gave up on...." Thread. Everyone has reasons for their decision to give up a show, I don't know why it was necessary to criticize Sailormars Obsessed fan's reasons.

TBA

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:01 pm

One anime I gave up on was the lion version of Voltron. My reasoning being:

*I CANNOT stand the enemy. Prince Lotor was just...ugh. I mean, the enemy before (Yurak) was okay, he just sought out to seek and destroy the "space explorers", and conquer the planet they were staying on. Prince Lotor just wants the princess of that planet, and is obsessed over her because she looks like his dead mom. o_O

*The good guys are static. Keith is the boring hero, who shows little to no emotion; Lance is just a smartassed dimwit; Princess Allura would probably literally just drop like a sack of potatoes if someone just did as much as poke her; Pidge is the stereotypical nerdy kid who has an annoying voice; and Hunk would just much rather eat than save the universe.

The ONLY good guys who weren't static were Princess Romelle and Sven, and that's a damn shame. Why? Sven was ONLY in the first six episodes, and doesn't show up until the series is damn near over, and Romelle is too busy being captured for any 'real' character development. ¬¬;

*It's the EXACT same thing. Every. Single. Episode. The team is found goofing off, the enemy makes their plans, the enemy attacks, the people of Planet Arus freak, the Voltron team gets the lions out, they form Voltron, they slice up the enemy, more goofing off.

*The space mice. While I think their cute, they annoy me. I mean... When Voltron couldn't defeat an enemy, the space mice came in in their little makeshift Mouse-tron and helped destroy the enemy for them. =|

It's just why I gave up on it. Like... I know my reasoning probably does sound a little silly. And those who have probably seen Vehicle Voltron are probably saying "omgwtf VV is just like that!" Yeah, it sometimes is, but at LEAST VV had some decent character development with the leaders of the team(s).
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:00 am

.hack//SIGN - more like, .gack//SIGH, that blue haired kid is showing poor manners again and then the entire cast comments on it.... again. Babble babble Key of the Twilight babble babble gack. I actually own the entire series of this on bootleg, and with the bad subtitles and dull, vague dialogue that I suppose is intended to be deep and meaningful... I couldn't get through the first disc. Like Nietzsche said--real art strives for clarity and does not try to obscure itself. Seriously, dude, I've been to graduation ceremonies and dentist waiting rooms that were more riveting than this shit.

I gave up on anything written by Rumiko Takahashi, because her characters are so stock and predictable and her gags are beaten to death. 10 episodes of InuYasha aren't interesting. 10000 episodes of InuYasha are even LESS interesting.

Ayashi no Ceres. Watase Yuu has the incredible ability to create heroines that are less likeable than the girls of My Super Sweet Sixteen.

I stupidly trusted my idiot otaku friend and watched a few episodes of Love Hina. Date simulation anime. God. I'm so very glad I get to experience such interesting characters as Generic Anime Fails-at-Life Hero, Tomboy Heroine McBigtits, Sickly-Shy McBigtits, Angry Frigid Bitch with Sword McBigtits, Older Drunk McBigtits, Innocent McBigeyes, and What The Fuck Is That Thing. Will there be sexual humor and romantic tension? Fascinating!
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:07 am

Anthy wrote:[
I stupidly trusted my idiot otaku friend God. I'm so very glad I get to experience such interesting characters as Generic Anime Fails-at-Life Hero, Tomboy Heroine McBigtits, Sickly-Shy McBigtits, Angry Frigid Bitch with Sword McBigtits, Older Drunk McBigtits, Innocent McBigeyes, and What The Fuck Is That Thing. Will there be sexual humor and romantic tension? Fascinating!
I love you. That is all.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:07 am

Anthy wrote:
I gave up on anything written by Rumiko Takahashi, because her characters are so stock and predictable and her gags are beaten to death. 10 episodes of InuYasha aren't interesting. 10000 episodes of InuYasha are even LESS interesting.

Ayashi no Ceres. Watase Yuu has the incredible ability to create heroines that are less likeable than the girls of My Super Sweet Sixteen.

I stupidly trusted my idiot otaku friend and watched a few episodes of Love Hina. Date simulation anime. God. I'm so very glad I get to experience such interesting characters as Generic Anime Fails-at-Life Hero, Tomboy Heroine McBigtits, Sickly-Shy McBigtits, Angry Frigid Bitch with Sword McBigtits, Older Drunk McBigtits, Innocent McBigeyes, and What The Fuck Is That Thing. Will there be sexual humor and romantic tension? Fascinating!
I adore Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 manga, becuase it's mindless entertainment mixed with good art and sweet moments. But most Rumiko Takahashi anime does nothing for me, either. I despise Inu Yasha, and the Ranma 1/2 anime is meh at most. But her manga? Yum.

I'm in agreement about Watasi Yuu's female characters. Now, I DID love Ayashi no Ceres, becuase I adored the storyline, and I loved Ceres (not Aya, but Ceres) and Yuuhi (the chopstick guy). But I agree that most of her female characters are completely unlikeable. *cough*MIAKA*COUGH*

DIE, LOVE HINA, DIE. *STABS IT* LMFAO, Anthy. L. M. F. A. AND O.
Last edited by Tiff on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:11 am

Anthy
Tomboy Heroine McBigtits
I so want that to be my screen name now.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:22 am

peachvampiress wrote:Anthy
Tomboy Heroine McBigtits
I so want that to be my screen name now.
Knock yourself out, love.

...with your knockers. :D
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 am

Frigid Bitch with Sword McBigtits huh? Anthy, you've lightened the way.

Well, I finshed Love hina so... I guess I never could finish:

DBZ-I wanted to but... it's to long :?

Fushigi Yuugi-It's boring.

Detective Conan-Is still going...

He Is My Master-Self Exlplanatory

Sailor Moon-Wait.. what!? :shock:

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:22 pm

Tiff wrote:
Anthy wrote:

I adore Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 manga, becuase it's mindless entertainment mixed with good art and sweet moments. But most Rumiko Takahashi anime does nothing for me, either. I despise Inu Yasha, and the Ranma 1/2 anime is meh at most. But her manga? Yum.

I'm in agreement about Watasi Yuu's female characters. Now, I DID love Ayashi no Ceres, becuase I adored the storyline, and I loved Ceres (not Aya, but Ceres) and Yuuhi (the chopstick guy). But I agree that most of her female characters are completely unlikeable. *cough*MIAKA*COUGH*

DIE, LOVE HINA, DIE. *STABS IT* LMFAO, Anthy. L. M. F. A. AND O.
Signed *__* Because it's exactly the same I've always thought.

I'll never like Yuu Watase's style except in Alice 19th. Ayashi no Ceres was fairly mediocre, but I'm talking about the manga now.

And you DON'T want to know what I think of Love Hina. It would be too much :D

Only one thing: Rumiko Takahashi has her good stories sometimes (Rumiko Theatre), but everything else is just boring to death. The good news is, I've actually found my interest in the Inu Yasha manga back, but I hate the anime.
Ranma 1/2 was just dull in both anime and manga. There are no stories of Takahashi I really appreciated except Rumiko Theatre which I mentioned earlier ;)