Cardcaptor Sakura

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

TuxedoLuke
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Cardcaptor Sakura

Post by TuxedoLuke » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:03 am

Hey All,

I was wondering if someone could help me...

I am watching the Japanese version of CCS, and I want to know when to watch the first movie, like after which episode do I watch the movie? I know it probably wouldnt matter either way, but I would prefer to watch it in order if I could. Can anyone help?

Thanks

TuxedoLuke :P

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:32 am

Chronologically, the first movie occurs between episodes 35 and 36 (i.e. between season 1 and season 2), so that would probably be the best place to watch it. The movie is kind of a side-story, though, so you could watch earlier if you wanted to (it doesn't spoil anything for you as far as the main series plot goes)

TuxedoLuke
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TuxedoLuke » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:39 pm

Thanks heaps for that!!! I had a feeling it was between those episodes....

TuxedoLuke :P

Saphir
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Saphir » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:38 pm

I enjoyed seeing the sealing and using of THE ARROW, but I was expecting the other four mystery cards to be caught within the movie, especially since the villain was using waves and bubbles. Pity THROUGH, WAVE, and LIBRA never got used...

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:49 pm

Saphir wrote:I enjoyed seeing the sealing and using of THE ARROW, but I was expecting the other four mystery cards to be caught within the movie, especially since the villain was using waves and bubbles. Pity THROUGH, WAVE, and LIBRA never got used...
I have a good idea on the other two, but what exactly is LIBRA supposed to do? (is it one of the somewhat useless cards, like MOVE or SWEET?)

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:33 pm

None of the cards are useless. Some aren't especially powerful, but none are useless. Libra, for instance, passes Judgement on its target. That doesn't tell us anything, as not once in the series or the manga is it used (to my knowledge), but it does do stuff. We just don't know EXACTLY what. And Move can move tiny things. Or, if the user was exceptionally powerful, it could move even them. It's a quick little teleport spell. And the Sweet just well, makes things sweet. Here's a scenario/use for each of those three:

Libra: I know I said that its never used, but I have a theory that one time it is used. It's in the manga, when Yue is judging Sakura. [spoiler]The Clow Cards come out and protect Sakura from Yue's--the judge's--attacks. It is my theory that this is Libra's doing. It has judged Sakura worthy, and so is helping her against Yue.[/spoiler] As for a potential use, perhaps Rika and Chiharu are fighting. Rika says Chiharu has been telling lies about her, and Chiharu says that Rika is a two-faced ho. Both want Sakura on their side of the argument. So, Sakurara uses the Libra card at home that night to judge the situation. After hearing what the Libra says, she knows what to do.

Move: Suppose Sakura leaves her homework at home (which she's very likely to do). She can sneak in the bathroom and use the move card to bring her homework to her.

Sweet: Suppose Sakura's baking cookies, and she's out of sugar. She can use the Sweet to sweeten them.

See, none of the cards are useless.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:11 am

I know they have a use, that's why I said "somewhat useless" rather than just "useless". ;) And the problem with the homework scenario with MOVE is that it can't move anything too far (that added to the fact it can't move anything too large or heavy). Kero himself stated that the card was virtually useless.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:21 am

EmperorBrandon wrote:I know they have a use, that's why I said "somewhat useless" rather than just "useless". ;) And the problem with the homework scenario with MOVE is that it can't move anything too far (that added to the fact it can't move anything too large or heavy). Kero himself stated that the card was virtually useless.
Yes, but it all depends on the strength of the Master. Is Sakura becomes powerful enough, then she'd be capable of moving things long distances. She could probably one day even teleport herself, with the power she has.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:29 am

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
Yes, but it all depends on the strength of the Master. Is Sakura becomes powerful enough, then she'd be capable of moving things long distances. She could probably one day even teleport herself, with the power she has.
True enough. It's proven that the cards do become more powerful and can even take on some additional uses as Sakura increases her magical powers, particularly [spoiler]in the third season, since she's changing the Clow Cards into her own cards. She was able to make it to where FLY would sprout wings on herself, rather than having to ride on the flying wand.[/spoiler]

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:33 pm

If these cards were never used in the anime at all, then I wonder why CLAMP even bothered to create them in the first place?

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:57 pm

I'm not sure CLAMP actually created all 52 cards, as many don't even appear in the manga. (i.e. Sweet, Arrow, Through, Libra, Big, Little). I think that the animation company created the rest of them. And even then they didn't use some of them.

TuxedoLuke
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TuxedoLuke » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:34 pm

So am I right in saying that Sakura doesnt seal all the cards in the Anime? Are some cards just not included in the series? Which cards are left out?

TuxedoLuke

Obsessive Touga Fan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Obsessive Touga Fan » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:37 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote: Libra: I know I said that its never used, but I have a theory that one time it is used. It's in the manga, when Yue is judging Sakura.
Libra doesn't exist in the manga. In vol 11 (and possibly some other times I don't remember), Sakura specifically says that there are 19 Clow Cards. In the manga, the only Clow Cards that exist are the 19 that we see Sakura capture and later convert into Sakura Cards.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun May 30, 2004 1:16 pm

Unfortunately I've only seen the CCS dub, but this has always bothered me, when did Sakura seal Through, Wave, and Libra?
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Sun May 30, 2004 1:26 pm

I believe she sealed them sometime between the first and second seasons, over the holiday she has before she enters 5th Grade. The capture on these cards is never shown on screen. :)

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun May 30, 2004 4:49 pm

doodlebuguk
I believe she sealed them sometime between the first and second seasons, over the holiday she has before she enters 5th Grade. The capture on these cards is never shown on screen.
... ... ... F#@K!!!!

-_- then what was the point of inventing new cards for the anime if they're never seen being captured and never used?

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Mon May 31, 2004 3:26 am

I think the producers made those cards to bring the total number of Clow Cards up to 52, as has been already said, as that's the number of cards in a normal deck of playing cards. :)

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Mon May 31, 2004 7:15 pm

Umm well you see
Only read if you've seen 2nd moive!
[spoiler] there's 53 in the 2nd moive theres a last card that is neagtive and has the power of all 52 cards it joins wiht another ( Jugement I think could be wrong) right at the end and becomes Hope such a sweet story[/spoiler]
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:26 pm

Em
Umm well you see
[spoiler]there's 53 in the 2nd moive theres a last card that is neagtive and has the power of all 52 cards it joins wiht another ( Jugement I think could be wrong) right at the end and becomes Hope such a sweet story [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Maybe it's like that blank card that comes in packs, or the instruction card ^_^[/spoiler]

~Suicide Kings

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:37 pm

Em wrote:Umm well you see
[spoiler] there's 53 in the 2nd moive theres a last card that is neagtive and has the power of all 52 cards it joins wiht another ( Jugement I think could be wrong) right at the end and becomes Hope such a sweet story[/spoiler]
[spoiler]The 53rd Clow Card is called "Nothing". The card that it joins with (to create the 53rd Sakura Card "Hope") doesn't really have a name. Anyway, yes, it is a sweet story. I loved that movie. It served as a great ending to CCS[/spoiler]