Hentai!

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:53 pm

Mendoza wrote:Sakura Diaries realy isnt a hentai. For one the story is too good and coherent :P Seriously its more of an adult romance/drama, and when compared to the debauchery of bible black its barely even perverted.
Sakura Diaries is sold in the hentai section of most anime catalogs and anime sections in stores. It does list adult content, and could therefore be labeled a hentai. Hentai doesn't necessarily mean raunchy sex. Plenty of hentais have dramatic plots, such as Magical Twilight.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Texas

Post by Mendoza » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:41 pm

Tiff wrote:
Mendoza wrote:Sakura Diaries realy isnt a hentai. For one the story is too good and coherent :P Seriously its more of an adult romance/drama, and when compared to the debauchery of bible black its barely even perverted.
Sakura Diaries is sold in the hentai section of most anime catalogs and anime sections in stores. It does list adult content, and could therefore be labeled a hentai. Hentai doesn't necessarily mean raunchy sex. Plenty of hentais have dramatic plots, such as Magical Twilight.
Hentais do have to have sexual intercorse of some kind in them, and i dont remember anyone actualy having sex on screen in that show. Softcore may not even show penetration but sex does occur. Adult content is also a catch all term that doesnt realy cover hentai. Another good example of a show that is not hentai but could be considered hentai is Wicked City. Wicked city does contain sex scenes, a good number actualy, but i have only seen it listed as hentai a few times. It also like Sakura Diaries had a normal release. Hentais realy have to be about showcasing sex. Both wicked city and sakura diaries could work if the nudity was taken out of them, in fact the original release of sakura diaries had alomst none and it worked fine. You cant say that about a hentai, even a light one like Karuhara Ninja Girl. The defenition of hentai is much like the one for pornography in general, you cant define it but when you see it you know what it is.
You have a valid point as well though. Sakura diaries is definetly not a show for kids, and is probably best seperated from the normal anime, but have you ever noticed that violent anime is rarely seperated in the way hentai is.
i remember seeing hellsing out with the rest of the anime and it didnt have any kind of dont sell to minors marking, and knowing how well some stores are dubius in their carding programs i can just imagine a kid picking up hellsing and thinking it has something to do with Van Hellsing. Id love to see the kids face when Van showed up. :twisted:

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:57 pm

Mendoza wrote:
Hentais do have to have sexual intercorse of some kind in them, and i dont remember anyone actualy having sex on screen in that show. Softcore may not even show penetration but sex does occur. Adult content is also a catch all term that doesnt realy cover hentai. Another good example of a show that is not hentai but could be considered hentai is Wicked City. Wicked city does contain sex scenes, a good number actualy, but i have only seen it listed as hentai a few times. It also like Sakura Diaries had a normal release. Hentais realy have to be about showcasing sex. Both wicked city and sakura diaries could work if the nudity was taken out of them, in fact the original release of sakura diaries had alomst none and it worked fine. You cant say that about a hentai, even a light one like Karuhara Ninja Girl. The defenition of hentai is much like the one for pornography in general, you cant define it but when you see it you know what it is.
"Hentai" is a word used to mean "perverted". The term hentai, when in reference to anime, refers to any material (including manga) that can be used to be sexually arousing. One does not always have to see SEX to be aroused. There is material in Sakura Diaries that is highly sexually suggestive. Therefore, it most certainly can be (and is most everywhere I look) classified as hentai. Hentai does NOT have to be about showcasing sex.

And I'd rather you not try to school me on what hentai is, dear. I have about five boxsets sitting in my cabinet..INCLUDING sakura diaries.
Last edited by Tiff on Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Texas

Post by Mendoza » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:01 am

Yes true
But the literal defeniton of the word hentai, and what has come to be known as hentai in the popular culture are two different things.
Besides im not trying to school you :)
Just explaing my statement and view.
Thats what the board is for.
No harm no foul right?

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:03 am

Mendoza wrote:Yes true
But the literal defeniton of the word hentai, and what has come to be known as hentai in the popular culture are two different things.
Besides im not trying to school you :)
Just explaing my statement and view.
Thats what the board is for.
No harm no foul right?
The literal definition of hentai is NOT "a showcasing of sex". Hentai is a word to mean "perverted". And...what? Hentai in popular culture also is NOT "a showcasing of sex".

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:08 am
Location: University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Contact:

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:07 am

Hentai is anime meant for arousal, or in it's adjective form, perverted. It doesn't have to be raunchy. After all, softcore porn is still porn, so softcore hentai is still hentai.

And the definition of hentai hasn't changed in anime pop culture. Hentai will always mean anime intending to arouse/perverted. You have just been misinformed. Please, don't try to pin it on different definitions.

And one last thing, addressed to several people. Anime. Manga. Hentai. These words are not pluralized. Please stop adding the letter -s to them. It is wrong.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

User avatar
Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Texas

Post by Mendoza » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 am

I didnt say that the literal definition was a showcasing of sex.
But i am making the assertion that in popular culture hentai products have become synonimus with sex, quite often explicit sex.
an internet search for hentai will give some credence to that.
I think that when you mention the word hentai most people will think about depictions of sex acts in one manner or another.

Edit: What do you mean by Raunchy exactly? If the anime just has to arouse you then a show with scantaly dressed girls could counted as hentai. So then the soul purpose of hentai is to arouse the viewer, this would then make it pornographic by the dictionary defenition of pornography correct.
Last edited by Mendoza on Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:08 am
Location: University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Contact:

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:16 am

Mendoza wrote:I didnt say that the literal definition was a showcasing of sex.
But i am making the assertion that in popular culture hentai products have become synonimus with sex, quite often explicit sex.
an internet search for hentai will give some credence to that.
I think that when you mention the word hentai most people will think about depictions of sex acts in one manner or another.
That's because most hentai has sex in it. However, that still doesn't mean it has to. Pop culture hasn't changed its definition. You just misunderstood. That's all there is to it, so please stop trying to justify it. It's not that big a deal. Hopefully you know better know, so just learn and move on.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

User avatar
Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Texas

Post by Mendoza » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:23 am

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
Mendoza wrote:I didnt say that the literal definition was a showcasing of sex.
But i am making the assertion that in popular culture hentai products have become synonimus with sex, quite often explicit sex.
an internet search for hentai will give some credence to that.
I think that when you mention the word hentai most people will think about depictions of sex acts in one manner or another.
That's because most hentai has sex in it. However, that still doesn't mean it has to. Pop culture hasn't changed it's definition. You just misunderstood. That's all there is to it, so please stop trying to justify it. It's not that big a deal. Hopefully you know better know, so just learn and move on.
If you wish, I wont protest any longer

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:25 am

Mendoza wrote:
ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
Mendoza wrote:I didnt say that the literal definition was a showcasing of sex.
But i am making the assertion that in popular culture hentai products have become synonimus with sex, quite often explicit sex.
an internet search for hentai will give some credence to that.
I think that when you mention the word hentai most people will think about depictions of sex acts in one manner or another.
That's because most hentai has sex in it. However, that still doesn't mean it has to. Pop culture hasn't changed it's definition. You just misunderstood. That's all there is to it, so please stop trying to justify it. It's not that big a deal. Hopefully you know better know, so just learn and move on.
If you wish, I wont protest any longer
This is not a chat room. Let someone else post now.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:49 am

Mendoza wrote:Living Sex Toy is hilarious even in its sub form. The premise is outrageous( a man raped and left for dead by a group of lasivious women recovers and gets his revenge by finding out each woman's sexual weakness, then leaves them in a box in public).
On that description I checked it out, and while hilarious isn't the word I'd use for it, it was pretty entartaining. It's like a hentai, gender-reversed Kill Bill. It's always best when even the non-Hentai parts of the story are good. So even though it's uncensored, it's on my list.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

490

User avatar
MiariTrunks
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:28 am

Post by MiariTrunks » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:14 am

StarBallz. The very very funny paraody of Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Star Wars. From the makers of Sailor and the Seven Balls

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:02 am

I must reiterate that Urotsukidoji's the only hentai I've ever seen as anime. And in a cut version too (the uncut version is banned in Australia). With a dub as bad as Streamline's Akira.

Can someone who has seen the uncut version tell me whether or not Miss Togami seduces Akemi like she does in the manga?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

User avatar
devilmaykickass
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:29 pm
Location: United States

Post by devilmaykickass » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:20 am

F3: Frantic, Frustrated, and Female and Sex Demon Queen are hilarious, and SDQ has magical transformations, very similar to Sailor Moon. =p

Legend of the Blue Wolves(Legend of the Four Horsemen) was great...about these two guys in this military organization and he ends up having to kill him at the end...it was sad. :cry:

User avatar
ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:08 am
Location: University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Contact:

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:48 pm

F3: Frantic, Frustrated, and Female and Sex Demon Queen are hilarious, and SDQ has magical transformations, very similar to Sailor Moon. =p

Sex Demon Queen is actually a parody of Magic Knight Rayearth, and I think it's absolutely hilarious.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

User avatar
Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1310
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 am
Location: Bug Valley
Contact:

Post by Rainbow » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Tiff wrote: "Hentai" is a word used to mean "perverted". The term hentai, when in reference to anime, refers to any material (including manga) that can be used to be sexually arousing. One does not always have to see SEX to be aroused.
Then is "Puni Puni Poemy" a hentai? I've seen it usually defined as getting close to hentai but not actually going there. I'm not saying I'm scared of it (it sounds like a hilarious parody, and I've seen some pretty silly pictures from it, I hope it comes in the mail tomorrow as of this post), I'm just curious. Or is it the "missing link" between hentai and regular ecchi shows kind of thing? (not that anime evolves that way, I mean in-between)
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Rainbow wrote:
Tiff wrote: "Hentai" is a word used to mean "perverted". The term hentai, when in reference to anime, refers to any material (including manga) that can be used to be sexually arousing. One does not always have to see SEX to be aroused.
Then is "Puni Puni Poemy" a hentai? I've seen it usually defined as getting close to hentai but not actually going there. I'm not saying I'm scared of it (it sounds like a hilarious parody, and I've seen some pretty silly pictures from it, I hope it comes in the mail tomorrow as of this post), I'm just curious. Or is it the "missing link" between hentai and regular ecchi shows kind of thing? (not that anime evolves that way, I mean in-between)
Puni Puni Poemy is not sold as hentai. It's not classified as hentai. I'm talking about when a show or manga is made up ENTIRELY of sexually arousing material, INTENDED to cause sexual arousal. I'm not talking about a few naked scenes.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1310
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 am
Location: Bug Valley
Contact:

Post by Rainbow » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:12 pm

Oh, okay. I guess I just misunderstood. Then, no, I've probably never seen any actual hentai (although I've read descriptions of hentai anime on the Internet).
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 955
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: Oswego, NY
Contact:

Post by Sylphiel » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:45 pm

I don't know if this is technically considered a hentai manga (probably not, but there is a fairly large amount of sex and nudity in it), but has anyone read Dance 'Till Tomorrow? I absolutely love it, though I only read and bought the first 3 volumes... really catching story and interesting characters :) That's probably my favorite of anything semi-hentai I've read... as for anime, I don't really know, I don't watch much hentai.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr


So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

User avatar
heartlessarchangel
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:29 am
Location: Washington State

Post by heartlessarchangel » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:29 am

my personal favorites for hentai would have to be the ones I own on dvd, which are:

Welcome To Pia Carrot Volume 1 and 2

Fencer Of Minerva Volume 1

I Dream Of Mimi

Maiden Of Deliverance(the sequel to Maiden Diaries which I have yet to see)

La Blue Girl 1-6

Locked