Lupin the 3rd

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Lupin the 3rd

Post by Passions55 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:37 pm

Is any one here into Lupin the 3rd?

It's about a notorious master thief who is the grandson of the gentleman thief, and his exploits of concocting various ways to steel priceless objects with his two theif companions Goemon the swordsman and Jigen the sharp shooter, as well as his lust interest partner/rival Fujiko Mine. And he is constsantly pursued by inspecter Zenigata to capture him. This anime is full of humour and good writing and twists.

Recently I've been getting into the movies and I think this anime is pretty awsome. What I find pretty cool about this anime is it's longevity, and has had three tv series and movies spanning over 30 years. the first series started in the late sixties and ended in the early 70's, then started with another series in the late 70's before ending and then starting a third series in the mid eighties. After that they have hads Lupin the 3rd movies or specials come out once every year even to this day, which is pretty awsome.

If any one hasn't heard or thought about getting in this anime I suggest you do it's very good espicially the movies. :) Who are fans of this series?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:39 pm

I adore Lupin the 3rd. Unfortunately, due to its old animation style not many people will give it a chance. I've heard too many times how the art style is bad next to newer titles being released. It's not really bad as much as it is just old. There is a difference. And the dub. Oh how much I love the dub. <3 I probably would have never became this much of a fan had I not watched it on Cartoon Network when it premiered. Richard Epcar how you make my heart SOAR.

I've seen all the way up to volume 10 of the DVD sets, but I'm still missing the last 5, I think. Out side of the Castle of Cagliostro I haven't seen the movies yet. I know they also have live action movies. I'm a little afraid to watch those...

Fun fact. The idea of Lupin the 3rd is based off of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Thief a novel series by Maurice LeBlanc, a French writer. They aren't bad. I have a few of them that I had downloaded from the Gutenberg project.

Another fun fact the very first season ("Green Coat" Lupin) the head animation artist was Miyazaki (Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's moving Castle). He was also the lead animator and I *think* producer for Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:06 pm

I love Lupin III. This is one of the series that really got me into old anime series.

Have you seen the first Lupin movie? It's excellent, and has some really awesome 70's direction.

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:16 am

I've really wanted to get into Lupin III. It looks like a blast. :D
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:19 am

Tempest wrote:I adore Lupin the 3rd. Unfortunately, due to its old animation style not many people will give it a chance. I've heard too many times how the art style is bad next to newer titles being released. It's not really bad as much as it is just old. There is a difference.
^^; I'm one of those people. Except, it's not so much that it's old...there are plenty of old-animation shows I like (Cutey Honey being one of them.) But I just find the animation god-awful ugly. I cannot watch something if I find the animation awful...it distracts the hell out of me and ruins the animation experience for me.

So yeah..I don't mind old art styles, I just find the art in Lupin hideous >_>;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:58 pm

have you ever seen the second series of Lupin the 3rd that appeared in the 70's Tiff? I thought as far as character designs go that the the second series gave them the most attractive features, especailly Fujiko.

Has any one seen the Lupin movie Dead or Alive? I really enjoyed it and I was impressed by the portrayal of Dective Zenegata in the movie. Normally he his depicted as being bumbling oaf used for comic relief but he was portrayed as very compitent, cunning, serious and even dignifide in this film and gave Lupin a run for his money. I actaully came to respect his character in Dead or Alive.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:24 am

Passions55 wrote:have you ever seen the second series of Lupin the 3rd that appeared in the 70's Tiff? I thought as far as character designs go that the the second series gave them the most attractive features, especailly Fujiko.
If I'm not mistaken the series of Lupin the Third that you're mentioning was the season that they dubbed and aired on Cartoon Network back in the day and that would have probably been the one she watched. It has been a few years since I last did a major search on the Lupin movies and series and I could be mixing up my seasons.

If I had to recommend a Lupin anything to someone it would probably be Castle of Cagliostro, the one Miyazaki had a hand in. Not only is the movie done primarily in his art style, but there is just enough of his vision and influence that it would be a good stand-alone movie.

As for Dead or Alive, I'll have to give it a whirl. I do love me some Zenigata and it would be interesting to see his character portrayed as something other than a bumbling detective.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 am

Yeah, I've seen the art from that season, too. It's the entire art style in which the show is drawn that I can't stand. I just don't like it. Hell, I can't watch One Piece for the same reason. I tried once, and the art was so bad to me, I couldn't take it ^^;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:28 pm

I love Lupin the 3rd, :D!

Its my guilty pleasure. Funny as this may sound, I like the character of Inspector Zenigata since he's always tries many ways to catch Lupin(often with disastrous results).