Anime/Manga Recommendations

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

solarsunrise
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

i need some help

Post by solarsunrise » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:01 am

ok. i wanted to know a good anime to watch next. iam eternally in love with fushugi yugi and i waish someone would have told me about it sooner. but i reaaly want to watch something new. any ideas?

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 am

For starters, what genre(s) are you interested in?

And should it be something on DVD, or are digisubs of unlicensed series fine?
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Anime/Manga Recommendations

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:23 am

++Mod Mode++

Okay, guys. I'm merging this into a new topic for Anime/Manga recommendations. That way everybody who wants to give/get a suggestion can come to one thread.

Please, everybody who asks for a recommendation, specify what genre(s) you are interested in. It won't do you any good if everybody is suggesting historical dramas when you want space-fighty laser gun action. Capice?

++/Mod Mode++
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

solarsunrise
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: Anime/Manga Recommendations

Post by solarsunrise » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 am

NameGoesHere wrote:++Mod Mode++

Okay, guys. I'm merging this into a new topic for Anime/Manga recommendations. That way everybody who wants to give/get a suggestion can come to one thread.

Please, everybody who asks for a recommendation, specify what genre(s) you are interested in. It won't do you any good if everybody is suggesting historical dramas when you want space-fighty laser gun action. Capice?

++/Mod Mode++
yeah i should have done that to begin with. sorry my mistake. but i do like action and drama. i've only seen one comedy and it was hilarious. i'm not really sure what kind i like b/c i don't have access to many kinds. i do seem to be drawn to the dramatic ones that have a central plot kind of like fushigi yugi or fruits basket or something to that nature. thanks again for your help! ^_^

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Anime/Manga Recommendations

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:50 am

solarsunrise wrote:
yeah i should have done that to begin with. sorry my mistake. but i do like action and drama. i've only seen one comedy and it was hilarious. i'm not really sure what kind i like b/c i don't have access to many kinds. i do seem to be drawn to the dramatic ones that have a central plot kind of like fushigi yugi or fruits basket or something to that nature. thanks again for your help! ^_^
Ayashi No Ceres sounds like a good recommendation for you. It has a LOT of drama, and also involves magic of some sort, along with legends...since you like Fushigi Yuugi, I figured you'd like this since it's by the same arist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres,_Celestial_Legend More info here.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

solarsunrise
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by solarsunrise » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:57 am

thanx. i'll look into it

smackyy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by smackyy » Sat May 03, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm glad this thread exists I've been wondering were I could get recommendations for other anime!

I recently finished watching Sailor Moon and i loved it so I guess a couple of animes that are similar to SM genre I could like.
Also when I was younger I used to Love the Dragon Ball and Dragon Z series and also Ranma 1/2.
So any recommendations you have simililar to the shows I mentioned would be great!!

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 pm

smackyy wrote:I'm glad this thread exists I've been wondering were I could get recommendations for other anime!

I recently finished watching Sailor Moon and i loved it so I guess a couple of animes that are similar to SM genre I could like.
Also when I was younger I used to Love the Dragon Ball and Dragon Z series and also Ranma 1/2.
So any recommendations you have simililar to the shows I mentioned would be great!!
Well, you might enjoy Inuyasha, Naruto and probably Bleach. The first two aren't really my cup of tea, but I know it's popular with a lot of people who like, or are interested in, the titles you listed.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

smackyy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by smackyy » Sun May 04, 2008 2:07 am

Thanx!! I'm definitely going to check out you recommnedation.

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:01 am

OK, my anime and manga box isn't very big.

I obviously like Sailor Moon, but I like Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, Naruto(Not Shippuden), and Inuyasha. Can anyone recommend any good anime/manga?
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:58 pm

My recommendations:

Yu Yu Hakusho-released by Funimation and Viz Media-this story revolves around Yusuke Urameshi, who dies one day saving a little boy from getting hit by a car. Absolutely no one, in the living world or the spirit world, expected his death, much less the reason for it (everyone believed Yusuke incapable of caring about anyone else, as he was a delinquent) and therefore the spirit world had no place to put him. King Yama of the spirit world grants him the opportunity to return to life if he can prove he's worthy of it, meaning he has to help people as a ghost. When he does finally return to life, he's stuck in service to the spirit world as a Spirit World Detective, capturing rogue demons and spirits that come to the living world and sending them back. This one ends up becoming a fighting anime/manga for the most part. It runs for 112 episodes and is still being released in manga form by Viz Media.

Wolf's Rain-released by Bandai and Viz Media-this one focuses on a pack of wolves in a world nearing the apocalypse. The wolves are searching for the Lunar Flower Maiden, who can open the gate to Paradise for them before the world ends. The anime ran for 7 volumes from Bandai and the manga ran for 2 from Viz Media. They may or may not be still available.

Chrono Crusade-released by ADV in both manga and anime-this story is set in 1920's New York City and revolves around a Catholic Nun named Rosette and her demon friend Chrono. The two investigate paranormal activity around the area and exorcise demons when they find them. Rosette also joined the convent in an effort to locate her brother Joshua, who was kidnapped by a demon years earlier during a fight amongst the demons. In an effort to fight some of the stronger demons, Chrono, who lost his ability to fully power up, has linked his lifeforce with Rosette's. In order to use his power, he has to tap into her lifeforce, which shortens Rosette's time to live. The anime ran for 7 volumes and the manga ran for about 8. I've not read the manga, but I'm told it's better than the anime.

Basilisk ~Kouga Ninpou Chou~ (or the Kouga Ninja Scrolls)-released by Funimation- this story revolves around Gennousuke and Oboro, the heirs to two rivalling Ninja clans in medieval Japan. The two are engaged to be married until the Shogun decides to set the two sides in a war to the death to decide who his next heir will be. The war ends up coming between Oboro and Gennousuke, who had ended up falling in love with one another. This anime ran for 6 volumes.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm

jupiter23 wrote:My recommendations:

Yu Yu Hakusho-released by Funimation and Viz Media-this story revolves around Yusuke Urameshi, who dies one day saving a little boy from getting hit by a car. Absolutely no one, in the living world or the spirit world, expected his death, much less the reason for it (everyone believed Yusuke incapable of caring about anyone else, as he was a delinquent) and therefore the spirit world had no place to put him. King Yama of the spirit world grants him the opportunity to return to life if he can prove he's worthy of it, meaning he has to help people as a ghost. When he does finally return to life, he's stuck in service to the spirit world as a Spirit World Detective, capturing rogue demons and spirits that come to the living world and sending them back. This one ends up becoming a fighting anime/manga for the most part. It runs for 112 episodes and is still being released in manga form by Viz Media.

Wolf's Rain-released by Bandai and Viz Media-this one focuses on a pack of wolves in a world nearing the apocalypse. The wolves are searching for the Lunar Flower Maiden, who can open the gate to Paradise for them before the world ends. The anime ran for 7 volumes from Bandai and the manga ran for 2 from Viz Media. They may or may not be still available.

Chrono Crusade-released by ADV in both manga and anime-this story is set in 1920's New York City and revolves around a Catholic Nun named Rosette and her demon friend Chrono. The two investigate paranormal activity around the area and exorcise demons when they find them. Rosette also joined the convent in an effort to locate her brother Joshua, who was kidnapped by a demon years earlier during a fight amongst the demons. In an effort to fight some of the stronger demons, Chrono, who lost his ability to fully power up, has linked his lifeforce with Rosette's. In order to use his power, he has to tap into her lifeforce, which shortens Rosette's time to live. The anime ran for 7 volumes and the manga ran for about 8. I've not read the manga, but I'm told it's better than the anime.

Basilisk ~Kouga Ninpou Chou~ (or the Kouga Ninja Scrolls)-released by Funimation- this story revolves around Gennousuke and Oboro, the heirs to two rivalling Ninja clans in medieval Japan. The two are engaged to be married until the Shogun decides to set the two sides in a war to the death to decide who his next heir will be. The war ends up coming between Oboro and Gennousuke, who had ended up falling in love with one another. This anime ran for 6 volumes.
I have Chrono Crusade Manga. Woops.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Yu Yu Hakasho and Wolf's Rain. Thanks!
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:20 am

To solarsunrise: A good anime or manga.. Hmm, well if you were taken in by the hype, Naruto, Death Note, and Bleach are for you (even though i despise them). If not, then try Inu-yasha. I liked it. Or even Loveless. It does have some boys-love though. But I look beyond that, or just close my eyes, and see a great story. Also, Hellsing is good, too much swearing though. Excel Saga if you are still hungry for more Kotono(sp?) Mitsuishi(sp?) (she did the VA for Usagi) Cardcaptor Sakura if you are in the mood for a different plot each episode, but it is a shojo just like sailor moon. For manga, try Love Hina. Even though Tiff might not like it, It has really good art style, and Mutsumi is THE BEST :D :lol:
My favourite Cardcaptor Sakura quote *contains spoilers*:

Sakura: I love you Yukito-san!
Yukito: I love you too, but the one you love most isn''t me.
Sakura: *looks confused*
Yukito: You love your father right?
Sakura: Yes.
Yukito: And what about me?
Sakura: I love you.
Yukito: Aren''t the feelings quite similar?
Sakura: *realizes* They are. You have known for awhile haven''t you?
Yukito: Yes, you have always loved me as if I were a part of your family and I am grateful for that.
Sakura: Is there someone you love?
Yukito: Yes
Sakura: Is it..brother? (Touya)
Yukito: *eyes widen and then he smiles* Yes, I don''''t know what I would do without Toya. He made sure I didn''''t disappear.
Sakura: I''m sure he loves you too! He did everything to make sure you didn''t disappear! But if brother ever does anything to hurt my dearest Yukito-san, I will teacher him a lesson!
Yukito: *puts hand on her cheek* Thank you, Sakura-chan. When you find the one you love, if he ever hurts you, I will teach him a lesson.

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:46 pm

The Rose Of Versailles - Classic story based on the manga by Ikeda Riyoko. It follows a story of Lady Oscar who is raised as a male in order for her to command the French army during the revolution as well as protect Marie Antoinette. It has everything such as a strong female lead(uggh I hate doormat female roles in animes but Oscar doesn't stray to that direction at all), a love between her and Andre who is her childhood friend and also the affair of Antoinette and Fersen the Swedish count.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:18 pm

I finished watching the anime and reading the manga of Cardcaptor Sakura. I really liked it. The only animes I have seen is CCS and Sailor Moon (I did watch Pokemon(dubbed) when it was popular back in the day but gave up on it =P) I would like to try anything, I heard about Rose of Versailles sounds interesting maybe I'll check it out. Any other recommendations?
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:53 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:I finished watching the anime and reading the manga of Cardcaptor Sakura. I really liked it. The only animes I have seen is CCS and Sailor Moon (I did watch Pokemon(dubbed) when it was popular back in the day but gave up on it =P) I would like to try anything, I heard about Rose of Versailles sounds interesting maybe I'll check it out. Any other recommendations?
I assume you like shoujo, so Magic Knight Rayearth is good. Lucky Star is also good, but it's not for everyone. I recommend watching an episode or 2 before you delve into it.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 am

Alexclow345 wrote:
AnimatedEvey12 wrote:I finished watching the anime and reading the manga of Cardcaptor Sakura. I really liked it. The only animes I have seen is CCS and Sailor Moon (I did watch Pokemon(dubbed) when it was popular back in the day but gave up on it =P) I would like to try anything, I heard about Rose of Versailles sounds interesting maybe I'll check it out. Any other recommendations?
I assume you like shoujo, so Magic Knight Rayearth is good. Lucky Star is also good, but it's not for everyone. I recommend watching an episode or 2 before you delve into it.
For MKR, get season 1 only. Season 2 put me to sleep. Maybe hold off on the movie (or was it OVA?) too.

My picks:
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
My-HiME
Air, Kanon (2006), and/or CLANNAD
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:23 am

I would also recommend Ashita no Joe, though if you are into serious drama with sympathetic characters and boxing, this is for you(though this one is as old as Rose Of Versailles).

Bleach is also up there as my favorites though it depends whether or not you like it or not, but I would say this is sorta like Yu Yu Hakusho but intense and with cool characters too(Isshin Kurosaki is my favorite since he looks like me, plus the eerie thing is that he also has my mannerisms at certain times).

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:42 am

demoneyeskyo87 wrote:Bleach is also up there as my favorites though it depends whether or not you like it or not, but I would say this is sorta like Yu Yu Hakusho but intense and with cool characters too(Isshin Kurosaki is my favorite since he looks like me, plus the eerie thing is that he also has my mannerisms at certain times).
Really? I've never though of the two being alike, save for them both being "fighting" anime. Bleach has cooler (physical) weapons, but Yuuhaku has a much less annoying main character.

And I've been wanting to see Ashita no Joe for a while now, but I keep forgetting to look for it when I'm on my anime buying stints. D:
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Oh, I am so happy that someone made this topic!!:) Now, I can ask an anime/manga recommendation. I would like to ask anyone if they know a good manga (or anime) that is romance or comedy, or both. Preferably (sp?) it is a shonen, but anything is good. Thank you if you decide to help me:)
My favourite Cardcaptor Sakura quote *contains spoilers*:

Sakura: I love you Yukito-san!
Yukito: I love you too, but the one you love most isn''t me.
Sakura: *looks confused*
Yukito: You love your father right?
Sakura: Yes.
Yukito: And what about me?
Sakura: I love you.
Yukito: Aren''t the feelings quite similar?
Sakura: *realizes* They are. You have known for awhile haven''t you?
Yukito: Yes, you have always loved me as if I were a part of your family and I am grateful for that.
Sakura: Is there someone you love?
Yukito: Yes
Sakura: Is it..brother? (Touya)
Yukito: *eyes widen and then he smiles* Yes, I don''''t know what I would do without Toya. He made sure I didn''''t disappear.
Sakura: I''m sure he loves you too! He did everything to make sure you didn''t disappear! But if brother ever does anything to hurt my dearest Yukito-san, I will teacher him a lesson!
Yukito: *puts hand on her cheek* Thank you, Sakura-chan. When you find the one you love, if he ever hurts you, I will teach him a lesson.