End of Geneon Ent. (formerly Pioneer Ent.)

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

End of Geneon Ent. (formerly Pioneer Ent.)

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:41 pm

From ANN:
Geneon Exits American Anime Industry
Geneon USA has officially informed retailers that as of 5 PM PDT this Friday, September 28th, the company will cease all DVD production, sales, and distribution.

All Geneon USA DVD titles scheduled for release after November 6, 2007 have apparently been canceled.
From AoDVD:
Geneon Entertainment Exits
Though the finality of things is still up in the air, Geneon Entertainment has sent out information to retailers regarding their 4th quarter plans. According to the information, Geneon will be shipping all releases they have in the queue for street dates through 11/05/2007. All orders placed after this coming Friday is non-returnable. As of 12/31/2007, they will be shutting down, apparently completely as AnimeNation is listing everything past 11/11/2007 as canceled. Plans for beyond 12/31/2007 are still up in the air but what little is being said indicates that they're intending to focus on their own properties in a similar way to Kadokawa Pictures USA is doing things.

yipe...
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 pm

..............T____________________T *wallows in her own coner of dispair*

QUICK!!! TO EBAY!!!
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:39 pm

Now this really sucks, because I'm in the middle of Kyo Kara Maoh! and I just started on The Story of Saiunkoku. I hope some other company has plans to take over the releases of those, because I'll be pretty angry if they just stop in the middle.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 pm

Ouch. That sucks for all the avid anime buyers out there. First the end of Pioneer and now the end of Geneon... Something must've been wrong over there or something.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 am

Wasn't Pioneer and Geneon the same company, only with a different name? I wonder how this is going to affect the future of Sailor Moon since both ADV and Geneon had an interest in licensing Sailor Stars if Toei ever sold the rights to them. I'm pretty sure that the classics will end up getting rescued licensed by other companies somewhere down the road. It's almost a guarantee that Funi will rescue license Tenchi Muyo since they already have the rights to the new series and they've rescued licensed fan favorite series before like Slayers and Love Hina. Lain, Akira, Trigun, and Hellsing will probably see rescue licenses too given their immense popularity with anime fans. I'm hoping there's a chance for a rescue license of X TV because of how popular CLAMP is in the U.S. but I'm not sure how possible it is for Fushigi Yuugi to be rescued license since it's a fairly old show who's popularity has kind of died off over the years. What I'm really worried about though are some of the more niche titles like Nanoha and Rozen Maiden, specifically the latter since because it was supposedly a poor seller for Geneon, it makes me wonder how willing the other companies will be to continue it.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:51 am

Well, it seems to me that with both ADV and Geneon wanting the rights to Sailor Moon, with Geneon out of the picture ADV will probably get it.

And I've been following the reports on the Anime News Network as well as the discussion on their boards, and by the way it looks Geneon may not be totally disappearing, they just may be halting business for a while. The President and CEO of Geneon just recently released a statement to the fans that they are looking into (or will be doing so soon anyway) what will happen to all the shows they licensed. A couple of dubbing companies have reported to the ANN that dubbing work is still continuing on some of the series that Geneon was handling the releases of, so that may be some good news.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 pm

jupiter23 wrote:Well, it seems to me that with both ADV and Geneon wanting the rights to Sailor Moon, with Geneon out of the picture ADV will probably get it.
I think by now, ADV probably has lost interest in SM. Also, Funi's rise makes them a possible candidate. However, VIZ seems to be the only distro that seems consistently interested in long running series like SM.

Now that I think of it... this may mean the end of anime CD's being brought over in the US for now. ADV music has long since been kaput, and now with Geneon bowing out...
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.