Manga/Anime to avoid

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:16 am

Fruityla wrote:
Maybe it's just my tastes, then.
XD kinda like how i'm one of the few people who doesn't like Magic Knight Rayearth.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:39 am

Tiff wrote:
Fruityla wrote:
Maybe it's just my tastes, then.
XD kinda like how i'm one of the few people who doesn't like Magic Knight Rayearth.
And I'm one of the few people that doesn't like Naruto.

I didn't care for MKR all that much either though. I mentioned that once on a message board a long time ago, and someone emailed me an entire essay they wrote explaining why MKR was actually better than Sailor Moon. It was quite amusing actually.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:27 am

As for Naruto, I see it as the next DBZ, though I have to admit that I haven't seen the series at all.

And yes, I'm familiar with the old saying, "The only people who would criticize this show is those who've never seen that show".

After watching Macross uncut, I auctioned off my Robotech DVDs.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:04 am

I feel the same way about Naurto as I do about Yu Yu Hakusho (spelling?)

The show started out pretty interesting, but after about the 5 or so episode (10 in the case of yu yu) it devolved into another DBZ clone
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:13 am

Tiff wrote:. Shoujo + Giant Robots = no.
What about Escaflowne? Another anime I saw recently to add to the thread: Ghost In The Shell (the 1st movie). I really wanted to like this movie. The basic premise looked really entertaining and after getting addicted to Bubblegum Crisis, I was really looking forward to this cyberpunk anime. The movie got a lot of rave reviews that made it seem really good and even my 11 year old cousin loves GITS, but I just couldn't get into this movie. The movie is just extremely too talky and reminded me why I've never been a big Star Trek fan. A lot of anime fans act like GITS is a very gory movie but there's only maybe three action scenes in the entire film and none of it excited me any. The rest of the movie they just talk and talk. I wouldn't mind the talking so much if they actually did something or if the talking advanced the story and characters somehow. Like, I love Serial Experiments Lain and it's one of the talkiest anime in the world, but at least Lain does stuff and the characters are actually entertaining. All the characters in GITS are clones of each other with no flaws at all and they have virtually no character development whatsoever and Kusanagi comes across as too much of a show-off for my personal tastes. And I never understood exactly why the Puppet Master was so dangerous, anyway.

A lot of anime fans praise this movie for being deep and philosophical, but the philosophy isn't any different from the pop philosophy you find in other sci-fi shows and it all feels just tacked on for the sake of it and I don't see how the philosophy is actually important to the plot or develops the characters any. Many anime fans also praise the movie for its visuals but I didn't think the animation in it was all that great. I mean, sure the animation is detailed and smooth, but it's no different than any other '90s violent anime movie Manga Entertainment has on DVD. Of course, I'm also the only person I know who thinks the ball room scene in Beauty And The Beast is over-rated, so what I do I know about animation? But I still don't see anything revolutionary about the animation and the music is very forgettable. In fact, there was one point at the beginning of the film where Kusanagi is leaving her home during the opening credits and there's this same freaking tune playing over and over again and it really drove me insane. I almost wanted to fast-forward during that scene and I ended up taking small breaks during this movie to keep my butt from getting sore. I still might check out the TV series because admittedly it does look somewhat more interesting than the GITS movie and I really wanted to like this, but I just couldn't get into it and I fail to see what's so revolutionary and wowing about this film.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:43 pm

I always saw Escaflowne as a mixture of Shojo and Shonen. But even if it is Shojo it was done pretty well. It wasnt like Hitomi was some awesome first class mecha pilot.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho. Again, it's one of those things that starts off really nice but ends up getting preetty dumb. For one thing; I can't stand the art. It seems much to sketchy and when I look at some of the demons in the anime, it feels like they ripped off Hiei's character design WAY too many times. The basic personalities of the characters are pretty overused as well. While I was reading the manga, it felt way too much like a DBZ ripoff. It's really too bad, because I truly wanted to like this manga. When I first started reading I honestly enjoyed Yusuke and Keiko's relationship, and Hiei and (I forget what her name is) his sister. Oh well. And it bored me out of my mind. Dark tournament...zzz
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:03 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:What about Escaflowne?
what about it? I don't care for Escaflowne, either.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:35 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I feel the same way about Naurto as I do about Yu Yu Hakusho (spelling?)

The show started out pretty interesting, but after about the 5 or so episode (10 in the case of yu yu) it devolved into another DBZ clone
That just goes to show how differently people see things. I've never found Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Dragon Ball to be all that similar to each other. Same genre, yes, but clone, no. ^^;

I can't really think of anything people should outright avoid. Try anything once, I say. Naruto is seriously over-hyped in my opinion, and DBZ bored me to tears, but I can still see how people like them. The only thing I've seen so far that I can't sit through if FLCL. x_X
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:30 am

NameGoesHere wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:The only thing I've seen so far that I can't sit through if FLCL. x_X
AMEN. I can't stand that show. >_> I know a lot of people who like it, but I just find that show idiotic.
Last edited by Tempest on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:59 am

Quite honestly, most of this is all opinion. The only thing I know that is needed to avoid:

Dragonball GT. Completely. and. utterly. a. piece. of. crap.

I haven't read that much, so I don't know what all to say...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:58 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention Bewitching Nozomi. OK, I do like some sports stories--I have been known to enjoy Prince of Tennis. But then there's this. The story involves boxing, of all sports--it's simply a sport I've never had any interest in. I could not name one boxer at all, aside from Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson. Besides that, it's the sport in which you're most likely to get injured.

But never mind that. In this show, we get a stereotyped hero, a heroine who is apparently very complex (and has a dream for the hero that is never adequately explained) and the basic competition comes from the hero's attempts to qualify for the Barcelona Olympics. Oh, and the hero has REALLY fast reflexes.

In short, not very interesting stuff.

Otherwise, we shall go with Darkside Blues. It's set in a place where a borough in Tokyo is one of the last places in the world to be free of a big corporation. Into this weird world comes our hero, an effeminate guy named Darkside, who has the power to cleanse people's minds of whatever nightmares they are experiencing. OK, so far so good. We have a terrorist group that is led by a girl who wears a neat wrist gun thing. OK. We have a masked villain. Kinda cool, actually. But we also have jack-all happening in the way of any sort of plot. I saw almost all of the movie, and I was as confused at the end as I was at the beginning. Everyone is introduced, but nothing is resolved. In fact, the only bit i missed was the heroine escaping after completely failing to kill a guy while he was right where she wanted him. Seriously, I left my screening to go to the loo, thinking that the movie wasn't anywhere near over and we still had a chance of something substantial happening. I came back and people were leaving the theater.

I then got on the IMDB and said that this movie was one that "starts AND ends in the middle, at the expense of those who came in in the middle" (it references an old film quote my Grandfather once gave me). And I said how much the movie wasted my time. And another film critic, Richard Scheib, said that the movie was "akin to reading a trilogy starting with the middle book and trying to piece the plot strands together from partial information." Couldn't agree more.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

yamichan2
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by yamichan2 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:27 pm

All I have to say is avoid an anime titled, The Ping Pong Club, at all costs.
Unless you like full frontal male nudity in a south park like show with a sport premise. And you are over sixteen...
My mom bought the anime test drive of this show for me. I am still in shock.

otakugirl17
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by otakugirl17 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:29 pm

The only anime I've seen and can't STAND to sit through for a minute are

Dragonball GT- Toei took a wonderful series and destroyed it with this so-called "ending". It had THE most confusing plot that was rushed and crammed in 64 episodes, ignored important characters who have been in the show since the beginning AND ignored characters who NEEDED to be developed, and killed off characters for NO reason who had CHEAP deaths at that( the way Piccalo and Krillin were killed is down right PATHETIC). Just horrible. I REFUSE to consider this an ending to the series. Cannon or not.

Fooly Cooly- has absolutely NO plot. Just radomness all crammed into one episode. I will NEVER understand its popularity.

Pokemon- LOVED it at first then it became repetetive when Jhoto began. I still enjoy the games even though they have become repetetive as well.

Ai Yori Aioshi- interesting for the first 3 episodes then started becoming a rip off of Tenchi Muyo

Zoids Fuzors- had boring characters and boring plot that was IMO only created as a cheap attempt to market off the toys( the Gundam series are guilty of this too, but at least the plot and characters ARE interesting)

Bobo-Bobobo whatever the damn title is- just like Fooly Cooly: no plot with just radomness crammed into one episode.

As for Yu Yu Hakusho and Naruto, I see no similarities between them and DBZ in terms of plot.

The only thing YYH and DBZ have in common is that they were dubbed by the same company and sharing some of the same voice actors.

And while I love Naruto, I find myself not wanting to watch it sometimes because of the way CN keeps treating it like it's the new DBZ. CN is making the same mistake it made back when DBZ was on air by over commercializing(if that's even a word?) it.

Showing 2 episodes during Toonami unlike the other shows who get only ONE episode per week, moving it to week nights while STILL being shown on Toonami, showing mini marathons, and ALWAYS finds a way to keep it on their schedule whenever a movie premieres. It's the same EXACT thing they did with DBZ. I know Naruto is their highest rated Toonami program, but DAMMIT give the other shows a chance to shine.

I'm done ranting now.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:54 pm

I feel obligated to respond...
otakugirl17 wrote:Fooly Cooly- has absolutely NO plot. Just radomness all crammed into one episode. I will NEVER understand its popularity.

[...]

Ai Yori Aioshi- interesting for the first 3 episodes then started becoming a rip off of Tenchi Muyo
Part 1. It's randomness packed into six episodes, not one. And some of us like randomness. But to each their own...

Part 2. AYA is hardly a rip-off of Tenchi Muyo. The lone similarity is both belong to the harem genre, and that's it. Beyond that, the two series are nothing alike.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:I feel obligated to respond...
otakugirl17 wrote:Fooly Cooly- has absolutely NO plot. Just radomness all crammed into one episode. I will NEVER understand its popularity.
Part 1. It's randomness packed into six episodes, not one. And some of us like randomness. But to each their own...
I think part of the reason a lot of people don't like Fooley Cooley is because it's, to some of us, not even clever randomness. See, I love Excel Saga, which is VERY random..but SO many of the jokes are smart, and the characters are likeable. To me, NOTHING about Fooley Cooley is likeable. Hell, the main character annoys the fire out of me.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:40 pm

the reason I compare Yu Yu and Nartuo to DBZ isnt because of plot but because its just the fight of the week that takes forever to finish.

I never really liked that kind of anime.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

yamichan2
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by yamichan2 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:04 pm

Personally I have to agree that YYH and DBZ are very different in terms of plot and style.
I can see where some people might see them as simalar though.

I didn't like FLCL either. It was not interesting and it was to random. I do like Excel Saga, because as Tiff said, Excel Saga is clever in its randomness and it has a cohesive element to it all.

I refuse to acknowledge DBGT as well.
Find me on www.gaiaonline.com! :P

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:25 am

Topic BUMP!

In response to Trajedy, yes I also disliked mermaid melody. I can't get into it, it just seems to drag along in a happy happy land sort of way.

Yugioh is another anime I dislike. Some times it's OK but other times it like DBZ. At the start of the episode someone (Mainly Yugi) wil be challenged to a duel which lasts 30 minutes then the battle will finish half way through the next episode, then there will be mindless chatter and congratulations, then someone else will challenge Yugi and the cycle begins again.

I know so many people like Wolf's Rain, but I just get bored with it. It's another anime which seems to drag on for eternity.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:46 pm

A Snow Fairy Named Sugar. I tried enjoying it, but after 2 discs, I just can't do it. maybe i'm just not getting the point. Whatever it is, i just can't recommend it to anyone.

Tiff, I can see your point with MKR. I like the story, but it's easier to digest in the manga form. The anime gets a bit repetative and stupid at times. Course i kind of have the same complaint with Fushigi Yugi. I just couldn't take watching it.

i rather enjoy the Miyu tv series, but I do agree that it's very monster of the week, until they get to the last few episodes and actually decide to have a plot.

Lastly, I'm avoiding Nadia, Secret of Blue Water. It's just very hard to like Nadia. She's got far too much annoying attitute for me to have much interest in the series. And it only got worse in the movie.