Evangelion

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Evangelion

Post by Rindesayu » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:26 pm

What do you think of this series?I'm sure we're all aware of how extremely popular it was and still is to a degree,but frankly,I hated it.The whiny,psychotic twits of characters(Oh god! I hate myself!! I want to die!!),the nonsensical Christian crap,and above all,the low-budgetry.The technical aspects aren't always the most important thing in an anime,but don't make a damn series if you don't have any moolah(countless reused and/or dragged on shots,random newsprint,and a bunch of squiggly lines...oooh,how impressive).

Honestly,when I decided to collect this series,I thought it was gonna be the best damn show I'd ever see,but words can't even begin to describe how disappointed I was.Granted,some of it is rather well-done,but these people could have done so much better overall.I'm dying to get the manga...

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Re: Evangelion

Post by Starscream » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:41 pm

Rindesayu wrote:...Christian crap...
I WAS going to respond to this, but thanks to your very insensitive comment (I'm Catholic), I won't. You might want to reconsider the words you say before posting on a public forum like this.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:43 pm

Not something that I would go out of my way to collect on DVD but I'd still like to collect ( after I've got the 10 + seris I want to collect aht is) it just to be able to wacht it when I want.

As for all the relgion may just be me but I didn't think it was that big a deal ( then again I've seen the seris dubbed adn both moives subbed so if there's been a misunderstanding along the way sorry) it was there I ignored it took notice of the stuff it was just there I know most of the things metioned so I spaced out many a time ( not meant to be nasty to anyone so please no one take it that way).

Shinji needs somone to take him out failing that his eva to stop on him faling that a rubber.

the manga I've been told is better adn differnt in how it end's or somethign along thoese lines anyway
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:46 pm

No,no,no,I'm not bashing Christians or anything related to Christianity,I'm just saying it seems like they stuffed a whole bunch of Christian-related material to create something poignant and profound or merely seem "cool".I'm truly sorry if my comment was offensive.I didn't mean anything bad by it.I'm a Christian myself.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:54 pm

Fair enough...sorry if my comment came off too harsh, too ^^;;

Anyhow, I enjoyed it, for the most part - granted, I've only seen bits and pieces - but I liked the two movies at the end. I would like to get more of it (either rental or bootleg ;) and make a better judgment of it, though ^^;
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:56 pm

Christianity in Japan is very umm odd to them there not many chtistians in Japan ( I think 1% of people there are I read) So Eva wanted to go for mestery and used Christian background and stuff. Think of someone doing the same seris over here only useing Wicca or something like that
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:09 pm

I've seen the first 8 episodes, and so far it seems too dark for me. I like Rei and Shinji a little bit, but I think Rei's too, too obedient (I like her being unemotional, though). As for Shinji, it kind of bugs me how he keeps fluctuating between absolutely refusing to pilot the Eva, but then deciding to do it. I don't mind him being a "wimp" though, since it seems unique with the macho males I've seen in other shows. I do like Asuka and Misato, though, since they're funny.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:33 pm

Em wrote:Christianity in Japan is very umm odd to them there not many chtistians in Japan ( I think 1% of people there are I read) So Eva wanted to go for mestery and used Christian background and stuff. Think of someone doing the same seris over here only useing Wicca or something like that
That, and I notice that in a lot of anime, you'll see Christian references snuck in here or there. I think it's part of Japan's fascination with western culture. For example: In a few of Naoko's artbook images, Usagi is wearing crosses. The christmas images are very christian at times. The cross the senshi jump off of in SuperS. The way the senshi are hung on the crosses in SMR. The list goes on.

As for Evangelion, I saw one DVD and couldn't take it anymore. Shinji was just too damned irritating. His whining just goes on and on. And it's too bad, because I wanted to see it for the other aspects...but I just couldn't take it. Every two seconds I was yelling "SHUT THE HELL UP" to the screen.
I've seen the first 8 episodes, and so far it seems too dark for me. I like Rei and Shinji a little bit, but I think Rei's too, too obedient (I like her being unemotional, though).
I'd recommend against watching the movie, then.

And as for Rei:
[spoiler] She's a clone. She has basically no personality, she's like a doll. That's why she's extremely obedient. [/spoiler]

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:18 pm

Tiff wrote:
And as for Rei:
[spoiler] She's a clone. She has basically no personality, she's like a doll. That's why she's extremely obedient. [/spoiler]
I know that already. And I also know:
[spoiler]somewhere later in the series she does something out of her own free will, but I don't remember what[/spoiler]

I actually like her somewhat...her being more unemotional and Shinji being more emotional breaks gender stereotypes in an interesting way.

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:29 am

Rainbow wrote: I actually like her somewhat...her being more unemotional and Shinji being more emotional breaks gender stereotypes in an interesting way.
I've observed that Evangelion really seems to break some stereotypes, which most people don't appear to notice. The stereotype I mostly noticed was with Asuka -- basically, she's a genius. She graduated college at the age of thirteen and is fluent in three languages, and most characters that smart are stereotyped as being quiet, polite and submissive, and Asuka is anything but. Asuka is a nerd, but she's far from your stereotypical one.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:01 am

Stephen Victor wrote:
I've observed that Evangelion really seems to break some stereotypes, which most people don't appear to notice. The stereotype I mostly noticed was with Asuka -- basically, she's a genius. She graduated college at the age of thirteen and is fluent in three languages, and most characters that smart are stereotyped as being quiet, polite and submissive, and Asuka is anything but. Asuka is a nerd, but she's far from your stereotypical one.
*nods* Asuka is a character that I like even though I haven't really seen her in anything. I didn't get far enough in the series to meet her (at least, I don't think I did), but I've read enough on her and seen music videos and clips...and she's awesome. She reminds me of me XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

shansen
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by shansen » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:31 am

I have actually seen this series ... in fact, it was the first subtitled series I ever saw (RealMedia fansubs ... this was about 3 and a half years ago). I would have stopped after about episode 18 or 19, but I just wanted to see how it ended.

I've also seen Death & Rebirth, as well as End of Evangelion.

For those who don't know the story ... Hideaki Anno (the producer) released episodes 25 and 26 of the series. There was such an outcry that he went back and produced End of Evangelion ("Death" is simply a recap of the series, and "Rebirth" is the first half of the movie ... I think).

It's a really weird series. The only way things started to make sense was when I rented both Death & Rebirth and End of Eva on DVD, and listened to the Director's Commentary. It was a great commentary ... funny in spots, but also extremely informative with respect to ... well, everything. Especially all the religious references that I didn't get at all. I also found some websites that explained what was going on.

No one likes Shinji ... everyone I've ever met who has seen any amount of Eva wants to beat him up, or slap him, or do something to keep from wallowing in self-pity. Trust me; it only gets worse as the series progresses. As we go along, Asuka also does this ... as does Misato (Shinji's caretaker, and also a Major with NERV, the organization that deals with the EVA's).

The end of the series also has a lot of introspection, where, to put it briefly, every character hates him/herself, and does everything in order to be noticed, or something like that. It gets really confusing when you're in someone's mind, and that person is talking to an image of him/herself and images of other people, and then suddenly you're back in reality, only to go into someone else's mind, etc.

Here are some Asuka-related spoilers (I can't remember exactly which episodes these all come from, since I haven't seen it in a long time):
[spoiler]- We see a flashback at one point ... Asuka had come home one day to find that her mother had hanged herself; this is a 3- or 4-minute montage of jumpy imagery and words like "Tod" (death in German) being flashed on the screen. It's actually somewhat disturbing
- At one point, Asuka is being ... well, mentally raped by an Angel. She snaps, and goes berserk. This goes on for quite some time
- In the later episodes, we find out that she is actually very similar to Shinji in that she just does things to get attention, she doesn't think she's very good ... more wallowing in self-pity ensues[/spoiler]
And one piece of general info on Asuka: she actually failed some sort of entrance-type exam in Japan, but only because she couldn't understand the test (she graduated in Germany and therefore didn't know all the Kanji). Also, she has a very marked Japanese accent when she speaks German (which she does at one point when she gets a phone call).

Eva is very weird, and has an absolute ton of layers to it. Anyone who says that they understand it fully is lying; no one in the universe fully gets Evangelion, period. If you're looking to warp your mind and can put with up Shinji's incessant whining, then you might want to give this a try.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:44 am

Stephen Victor wrote:
Yes, here are the main anime stereotypes I've noticed the three main characters (Shinji, Asuka, and Rei) break:
1) When there are three main characters in a team (like Magic Knights Rayearth, or when on BSSM it was just Usagi, Rei, and Ami), there's almost always two outgoing people (usually a ditz and a bossy one) and then a quiet, smart one. On Evangelion, there's two quiet people (one more emotional and the other unemotional) and one outgoing character who's the smart one (I don't think Rei's a genius, is she?).
2) When there are two girls and one boy as the main characters, the girls blatantly fight over the boy. So far as I know, Rei and Asuka don't fight over Shinji, it's their FANS who argue over which one should be paired up.
3) None of the main Eva characters are ditzy, except maybe Misato is a little bit.

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:21 am

Rainbow wrote: 1) When there are three main characters in a team (like Magic Knights Rayearth, or when on BSSM it was just Usagi, Rei, and Ami), there's almost always two outgoing people (usually a ditz and a bossy one) and then a quiet, smart one. On Evangelion, there's two quiet people (one more emotional and the other unemotional) and one outgoing character who's the smart one (I don't think Rei's a genius, is she?).
Well, I don't think Rei is smart in the way that Asuka is, but she's still supposed to be a bit of an intellectual, I think -- in the way that I remember her being deep, thoughtful, introspective and just how she tries to figure out and understand people and life ... both her and Asuka are supposed to be intelligent, just in different ways. Neither are stupid.

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:43 pm

When there are two girls and one boy as the main characters, the girls blatantly fight over the boy. So far as I know, Rei and Asuka don't fight over Shinji, it's their FANS who argue over which one should be paired up.
Neither of them make a very good couple IMO,especially Shinji and Asuka.I can understand Asuka being attracted to Shinji(he may be a wussy loser,but he's a nice kid,and I don't think he looks half- bad),and I can certainly understand Shinji being PHYSICALLY attracted to Asuka,but him being attracted to Asuka's personality?That's a laugh.She has her reasons for acting the way she does,but she's so mean and nasty towards him most of the time that I don't understand how he could desperately want her like that.At least Rei and Misato treat him with kindness.

Shinji/Rei isn't exactly a match made in heaven either(what with the "mother-clone" thing),but in a way,I think they're somewhat decent together,simply because they get along easier.

MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:26 pm

This was my first series for Anime, and it is by far my favorite. The emotion, the secrets, then endings, the mind boggeling! It is my type of anime. I can see why others didn't like it, but I truly loved it. The religious twists were very cunning. I liked how the creator was kinda insane and on many pills when he made this. Then he got better :( And no series 2. But that is okay, multiple series usually are not that great. It was so extreme that it sucked me into its little world. Too popular for....was it adult swim it was on? Whoever it was on, it took it off after like 3 episodes :D That's my kind of series.
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:18 pm

MDL, it was only on CN as part of Giant Robot week, and two episodes got shown. I don't think AS could air it anyway (because I'm pretty sure ADV is airing it on their Anime Network)
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:08 pm

Oh, well, I havn't had cable, so I wasn't sure when it would be on ^^;;
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:55 pm

Rindesayu wrote:the nonsensical ...Christian crap...
This is just a thought, but before you go bashing something, you should really try to look it up. The little religious quirks found in Evangelion are NOT from Christianity. In Christianity, Jesus slowly died on the cross, he was not stabbed with the Lance of Loginus. In Christianity, the sixteen NAMED angels do not appear. All of the religious things are from Judaism, namely the Kaballah. Also, Lilith doesn't appear in Christianity AT ALL. Evangelion had very little to do with Christianity. So, please, do your research before you bash something.

I thought Evangelion was an interesting series. I really enjoyed it. It was very deep and moving, not like a lot of anime which is all action and fanservice. It had a real story, and was realistic. People really could build all those things one day. I thought the characters were wonderful, and I actually felt toward every one of them. Ayanami was this deep character, who betrays her very existence. Asuka was the product of insanity, and she slowly goes insane as well. Shinji was the product of a broken home, and an asshole father. He was abandoned at a young age, and he watched his mother die. He hates his father, proven by the alternate reality he experiences. He has made Kaji into his father, rather than Gendo. I thought it was a beautiful series, and definetely worth watching over and over. However, the manga is a lot better than the anime. Asuka gets more development than she did in the anime. Ayanami and Shinji also get more, and everything is really deep.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:58 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote: I thought Evangelion was an interesting series. I really enjoyed it. It was very deep and moving, not like a lot of anime which is all action and fanservice. It had a real story, and was realistic. People really could build all those things one day. I thought the characters were wonderful, and I actually felt toward every one of them. .
*nodS* see, it's for these reasons I want to see it...but I a) don't have access to it right now, and am not going to buy something unless I know I will like it and b) I just cannot get passed Shinji's whining.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama