Evangelion

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:10 am

Hehe, I finished it.

Awesome, awesome, awesome series... definitely one my all-time best IMO, and I've seen quite a few.

And contrary to what most say (I guess it's the psychologist in me) - I actually really LOVED the final 2 episodes, I thought it was great and a true mindfuck and everything ... up until

[spoiler]maybe the last 5 minutes or so, after which I proceeded to emite a HUGE "WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT?!" and laugh HYSTERICALLY at my screen. It's like they did all that, then at the very end, "we got lazy and couldn't think of a real ending, so HERE'S SHINJI FINDING HIMSELF AND PEOPLE CLAPPING!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS, YOU MADE IT THROUGH THE SERIES, HERE'S A COOKIE!!!!" ... lol.[/spoiler]

Heh, so yeah, that's my rendition of the very end of Eva. ^_- Although, I'll definitely have to watch the movie now... I'm so incredibly curious to find out what really happens.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:19 am

Sylphiel wrote:Heh, so yeah, that's my rendition of the very end of Eva. ^_- Although, I'll definitely have to watch the movie now... I'm so incredibly curious to find out what really happens.
Oy, End of Evangelion (don't even bother with Death and Rebirth, unless you want a complete collection) is an even worse mindfuck than the last two episodes.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:26 am

Umino wrote:End of Evangelion is an even worse mindfuck than the last two episodes
Excellent :D I've been reading about the movie, and now I know more, and still wanna see it.

Addendum to my last post where I laughed at it; I actually DO appreciate the last 5 minutes of the TV series now, I've been doing some research and reading about what stuff means - [spoiler]And.. Shinji being congratulated by everybody in his mind makes perfect sense to me now, he was Complimentated (sp.?). >P So the whole "merging of all human souls"/Human Complimentation Project took place, and in his mind, there's his perfect happy place... where he's all brainwashed and merged and content to be. That was what he wanted all along, acceptance, and he found it when he was Complimentated.[/spoiler]

Since in the movie - [spoiler]when everyone was Complimentated, they saw what they wanted in their mind, like their own personal little heaven. The end of the TV series was like Shinji's personal heaven.[/spoiler]

Just... awesome. And now, I think that was a really unique and cool way to do the ending. Because [spoiler]we feel like we're being brainwashed like Shinji (^^; ), and we get to observe it just as he would be experiencing it[/spoiler]

And also, I definitely support the idea that the movie is an ALTERNATE ending, not additional explanation of the TV ending as Dan had told me, since [spoiler]it's pretty clear that he rejects being Complimentated along with everybody else in the movie (he's there with Asuka at the end), while in the series, he accepts the brainwashing and goes along with it. So, big ass difference there. Taken from a website, "The End of Evangelion is the official ending to the saga. In the RCB it is stated that EoE was created from the original scripts for eps 25 and then a new script written to continue from that episode, but because of production errors they could not be used. However, this does not mean the TV ending is false, it is simply an alternate conclusion."[/spoiler]
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:07 pm

I went through the entire series myself recently.

The entire series is great, but not the best in my book.

My thoughts of the characters:

Shinji: The textbook definition of a coward, who sometimes takes matters into his own hands (see the beginning of episode 19 [?])

Asuka: The female equivalent of Wufei (driven by her ego and pride) who then "lost her smile" at the end of episode 22, only to be seen kicking ass again at EOE

That's all I can think of...
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:03 pm

I was thinking about it and it figure that Instrumentality is Japan.

[spoiler]I mean think about it, the goal of instrumentality is to eliminate the individual for the sake of a new whole. [/spoiler]

Japan continually says it is a homogeneous nation. And it tries to suppress the rights of the individual. For example, the Ministry of Education, when censoring textbooks, makes suggestions to the publishers to reword phrases to reduce the importance of the individual and extol the virtues of self sacrifice and duty to the state. And Japan often tries to suppress minorities, like the Ainu and the Okinawan people, who are just recently getting proper attention.

Anno was making a commentary on Japanese society on many, many levels and this one is like a shot in the neck.

Instrumentality is Japan!

I've got some more thoughts but I'm kinda lazy. So maybe I'll.....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:47 pm

o_O;

wow, hell has frozen over.

I turn on Adult Swim, and find Evangelion there...and not just any dub..but the direct from DVD dub, complete with the entire subbed opening and subbed kana, kanji, etc.

It was pretty cool, despite the fact that I still cannot get into the show (thanks to shinji) and despite the fact that some of the voices made my ears bleed (why the hell does Misato sound like a 13 year old girl?!)

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:40 pm

ADV's actresses have never been good in their dubs IMO. Their actors are far better than their actresses.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:07 pm

After watching some of the Wedding Peach dub, I would have to agree with you. The girls voices aren't that good. They're too high pitched, especially Momoko's. Pluie, Yousuke, Tanaka, Igneous and Yanagiba though have good voices. Raindevila is an exception as she has a good voice.

As for NGE, I have not seen it and, frankly, don't really have an interest in seeing it.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:38 pm

I've watched a couple of episodes of the series and I think its pretty good. I have also read all eight translated manga volumes. I think that overall the manga is slightly better with the characters since it seems that everyone is less annoying (especially Shinji.) I've also heard some people say that Evangelion is anti-Christian, any thoughts on that?

Also, on another note, I found something really funny while going over the Penny Arcade wiki. Basically its this whole bunch of articles on "THe Elemenstor Saga," a parody of high fantasy. One of them involves a made up anime called "Elemenstars." Scroll down to the 5th season and read the titles and last episode. Its hilarious.

http://elothtes.pbwiki.com/ElamenSTAR%20Episode%20Guide
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:02 am

Finally saw End of Eva tonight.

Brilliant.

And as for the post above mine... uh, it's not anti-Christian, it just uses a lot of religious symbols from a bunch of different religions (ex. The Tree of Life, etc.).
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me