Fushugi Yugi

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Chibi chibi star
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Fushugi Yugi

Post by Chibi chibi star » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:43 pm

I've only read 4 volumes of Fushugi Yugi manga and so far, I think it's good! Here's basicaly a summary of it: It's about a Jr. high school girl named Miaka who likes to eat and sleep, like Usagi. Sadly, her mom makes her take a cram school so she can get her into a good high school (basicaly, she wants Miaka to go to a high school she wants her to go to), but Miaka wants to go to the same high school Yui (her best friend) and her other classmates go to. One day, she and Yui go to the library and go to the Restricted section. There, they find a book entitled "The Universe of the Four Gods" as soon as they open the book, they find themselves in Midevil China and are recued by a boy named Tamahome. Then, suddenly, they're back at the library. Eventualy, Miaka becomes the Priestess of Suzaku and Yui becomes the Priestess of Seiryuu. They find themsleves on opposite sides of a war battling for the legendary bird called the Suzaku, who makes all wishes come true. That's about all I can tell for now. Anywaz, I love this series!
Last edited by Chibi chibi star on Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish on a star...
Just to be with you...
Please find me...
Call my name for me...
I'll be there for you...
My only love...

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:24 am

I have watched the entire series (well, aside from the OAV episode with Yui and the purple-haired boy). It is really good! Too bad it was a rental from my friend, I wanted to rewatch it but I don't have it now. :cry: The set is just so expensive.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:24 am

Chibi chibi star, you do not need to put summaries in the spoilers box. What you just posted could be read on the back of the manga or on the back of the video. Please try to refrain from doing that.

I've only seen the anime, and it was cute, but I saw it dubbed. Miaka's voice = HORRID. While I liked the initial storyline, some aspects just drove me crazy (like everyone trying to get into Miaka's skirt -_-; come on, she's not that damn irrisistible)

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:41 pm

She sounded fine in my Eikoden. But that was when she was all serious. I have yet to see her dubbed comedic side. I heard the Fushigi Yuugi dub was pretty good from Squirrel (yes, him).

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:54 pm

Sakuya wrote:She sounded fine in my Eikoden. But that was when she was all serious. I have yet to see her dubbed comedic side. I heard the Fushigi Yuugi dub was pretty good from Squirrel (yes, him).
Her voice just annoys the crap out of me beause she's constantly going "TOMAAHOOMEEEE" in this horrid, high pitched, whiney voice.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:16 pm

I somewhat like Miaka, mostly because she reminds me of...get ready...MY DOG! No, not the one in my avatar, the other one. Aggie. Aggie and Miaka are both food maniacs (Aggie will WHINE until you feed her, and she'll just keep eating until she barfs, then probably eat her barf...hmm...don't know if Miaka's THAT extreme since she's a human not a dog), they're both clingy to those they love (Aggie's always either begging for us to pet her or give her food), they both have people they love who are a bit cold to them (I tend to push Aggie aside to coddle Diana, who's my favorite of the two dogs), they both are very sweet and naive, they both have someone they compete with for love (I've just seen the first four episodes of FY, but Nuriko and Miaka fighting over Hotohori (?) and Nuriko bossing Miaka around reminds me of how Diana always shoves Aggie away from us so that SHE can be the top dog). Okay, so this doesn't really make Aggie any different from the classic shoujo anime main girl? Well, Aggie's brown floppy ears look a LOT like Miaka's pigtail-buns hairstyle, and they both have brown eyes. So far, I haven't found an anime character who fits Aggie better than Miaka Yuuki! I showed my mom the anime too, and she agreed that Miaka seems spastic and frentic, like Aggie was as a puppy. Aggie's 10 years old now, and has settled down a bit, but I still think she has much resemblance to Fushigi Yuugi's star character.

Also, Aggie gets lots of love from other people too, just like Miaka has so many people on the show who think she's attractive. Aggie's charm is being cute and that she loves to be pet, unlike Diana who runs away.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:01 am

I read the first 2 or 3 volumes of the Fushigi Yugi manga because my library had them. After that I thought of buying the rest, but I started watching the anime (on VHS, subtitled) and never bothered to continue.

FY is another one of my favorite anime series. I like Miaka for the most part, but she did annoy me sometimes. She can get pretty stupid. I wanted to strangle her the time she wrote the names of food on those magic scrolls of Tasuki's. Why do so many anime girls have such a food obsession anyway?
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:10 am

FoxFire wrote: FY is another one of my favorite anime series. I like Miaka for the most part, but she did annoy me sometimes. She can get pretty stupid. I wanted to strangle her the time she wrote the names of food on those magic scrolls of Tasuki's. Why do so many anime girls have such a food obsession anyway?
I dunno, she annoyed me most with her damn "I have to be a martyr and run off to try and fix everything myself!", and then she'd get her sorry ass captured or into trouble, and someone would have to go save her. It happened all the freaking time. It was like:
(miaka) *SOB* everyone's hurt becuase of me! *pity trip* I must go fight Nakago myself and save Yui! GOODBYE, TOMAHOME! I CAN NO LONGER LOVE YOU! *runs*
(nakago) bwahahah I am evil. *tries to rape her*
(miaka) *SCREAMS* HELP, TOMAHOME!
(tomahome) *saves her*
(miaka) oh, I love you*_*

I wanted to kick her in the freakin head.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:45 am

FoxFire wrote: Why do so many anime girls have such a food obsession anyway?
It's a trait given to silly main characters of both genders, to add to the comedic parts of the show. Ash from Pokemon and Ranma from Ranma 1/2 are two male characters I can think of who are big eaters too.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Chibi chibi star
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Chibi chibi star » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:19 pm

Hehehehehehehehehehehe. I like food. Anywaz, I absolutely CAN'T STAND Yui in the manga. She's just a freakin brat!

Yui: You know, Miaka? I LIKE Tamahome, so I'll take him away from you!*mad marks*

Yui: You LOSE Miaka. Tamahome belongs to me.*more mad marks*

Isn't she a brat?! Please don't spoil this for me, but does she DIE?! If so, good! I know she's brainwashed by Nagako, but really, it's too much!
I wish on a star...
Just to be with you...
Please find me...
Call my name for me...
I'll be there for you...
My only love...

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:35 pm

I think Yui was a good character before she entered the book. I mean, she's more sane and she's smart. And to answer your question, view at your own risk.

[spoiler]No she doesn't die.[/spoiler]

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:53 pm

Fushigi Yuugi is my favorite anime, I think it's an excellent series. My favorite character is Tasuki followed by Tamahome, Nuriko, and Miaka. To make it short, Tasuki and Tamahome are so very........... I love them. *_* Nuriko is so awesome and original. And Miaka reminds me of Usagi a lot. I like Usagi more though.

And I hate Yui, the back stabbing bitch that she is! Well she's okay in the OVAs but she was kinda "just there"

I wish they developed Mitsukake and Chiriko a little more. Many times they'd be there and seemingly ignored by the other characters too. o_O

And yes the FY dub is horrid. I especially hate Tasuki's voice, it's soo ugly!!

I only read volume one of the manga. So far I like it.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:18 pm

Rainbow wrote:It's a trait given to silly main characters of both genders, to add to the comedic parts of the show. Ash from Pokemon and Ranma from Ranma 1/2 are two male characters I can think of who are big eaters too.
He does like food, but I don't think Ranma is obsessed with food. That would be his dad.

Anyway getting back on topic, I don't hate Yui. Look at it from her point of view. She believed she was raped, she was stranded in the book alone for months, and when Miaka finally returned she heard her say she came back to be with Tamahome.

And Tasuki is my favorite character too. I usually like characters who can control fire (Tasuki, Rei, Hikaru) for some reason.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:05 am

I've never seen the anime series, but I hear that it's very good. I've only read the manga so far. Can't get enough of the manga soon enough!

Yeah, Miaka's obsession with food is a bit out there, but I think it's kind of cute. you also have to admit, she does try to do things so others won't be burdened, but she always ends up doing it anyway. I feel sorry for her.

Yui is a mystery. she wants Miaka to suffer, but she doesn't. she really needs to make up her mind.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:17 am

FoxFire wrote:
And Tasuki is my favorite character too. I usually like characters who can control fire (Tasuki, Rei, Hikaru) for some reason.
Me too obviously :P I also like Cooan and Eudial in BSSM. And in video games, Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, and some others.

Another reason I like Tasuki is because he's kinda hot headed and cocky.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:00 pm

I love Fushigi Yuugi.

And, having never seen the dub (aside from an RM file of Episode 1), I'm curious as to how they did Nuriko...
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:20 am

Well, Fushigi Yuugi was dubbed uncut, so I doubt they did anything to Nuriko.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:34 am

Actually, I was referring to the voice. After all, we start out thinking Nuriko is a woman.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:44 pm

I'm pretty sure a woman did his voice like the Japanese version. Sounds pretty feminine.

see kei
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: Fushugi Yugi

Post by see kei » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:47 am

Fushugi Yugi Rox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D