Dubs you think are good

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Dubs you think are good

Post by Tempest » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:20 am

What the hell, right? I looked over previous topics, and didn't see a match.

What anime dubbs do you consider to be good or better then most? You don't need to list why unless you feel the need to ^_^

I personally like;
Cowboy Bebop
NightWalker
Sorcerer Hunters
and Lupin the 3rd
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:22 am

I think Cowboy Bebop is the best dub out there! :D It has a western feel to it therefore English would match it best.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:29 am

Rurouni Kenshin (the TV series. I've heard the OVA dubs are very bad)
Trigun
Ah! My Goddess (movie and the Mini-Goddess episodes)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Blue Gender
Excel Saga (I <3 dub Hyatt)
Lupin III
Ai Yori Aoshi
Inuyasha
Outlaw Star
FLCL
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:37 am

Well Dinozore you just about listed them all. I must make one small edition and that's Mobile Suit Gundam MS 08th Team and Gundam Wing.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:40 am

I've heard (really) good things about the Chobits dub, too, but I didn't list it because I haven't seen it yet.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:16 am

^_^ Nice way to see both sides, Tempy.

I haven't seen a lot of dubs, so my list is small, but:

Trigun
Cowboy Bebop (some of the voices are..ehh..but the dub itself is quite good)
Pretty much all of the Miyazaki movies.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:58 am

Let's see well OutLaw Star adn Gundam Wing come to mind first off adn I heard tha tthe Rnama 1/2 frist season dubb was good but how true that is I've no clue
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:10 am

Tiff wrote: Pretty much all of the Miyazaki movies.
I agree with you on that one, it totally slipped my mind! :P I have yet to see the Spirited Away dub. But I have seen both versions of Kiki's Delivery Service. It was awesome! I have no problems with viewing either one! :P Princess Mononoke on the other hand wasn't as good, there were just so many mispronounced names.

Chibi chibi star
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Chibi chibi star » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:57 am

IMO:
FLCL
Hellsing
Trigun
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Inu-Yasha
Cowboy Beebop

I think those were done very nicely. The companies who do them should do more anime shows.
I wish on a star...
Just to be with you...
Please find me...
Call my name for me...
I'll be there for you...
My only love...

marspeach
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by marspeach » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:08 pm

Spirited Away (although I still thought the original was better).
Last edited by marspeach on Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a loser!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:23 pm

Spirited Away
The Big O
Outlaw Star

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:27 pm

Sakuya wrote:
Tiff wrote: Pretty much all of the Miyazaki movies.
I agree with you on that one, it totally slipped my mind! :P I have yet to see the Spirited Away dub. But I have seen both versions of Kiki's Delivery Service. It was awesome! I have no problems with viewing either one! :P Princess Mononoke on the other hand wasn't as good, there were just so many mispronounced names.
Yeah, Mononoke wasn't done as well as the others...My Neighbor Totoro was done excellently.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by J Anderson » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:57 pm

The Miyazaki movies for the most part. Though I've heard the original 1990s dub of Castle In The Sky was bad(the one on the DVD is a recent re-dub). I honestly thought the Mononoke dub was excellent.

I really liked the Excel Saga dub, because they threw in a lot of stuff the Japanese version didn't without really changing anything.

I guess the Night Warriors: Darkstalkers dub was decent. Except for Hsien-Ko's horrid valley girl attitude. But I have to attribute this to the fact that the subtitles were word-for-word the dub script. I really have a hard time watching a sub when the script is identical.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:59 pm

J Anderson wrote:The Miyazaki movies for the most part. Though I've heard the original 1990s dub of Castle In The Sky was bad(the one on the DVD is a recent re-dub). I honestly thought the Mononoke dub was excellent.

I really liked the Excel Saga dub, because they threw in a lot of stuff the Japanese version didn't without really changing anything.
A lot of the voices in Mononoke bothered me (Lady Eboshi's, to name one), but it wasn't bad...just not up to par with some of the other Miyazakis, IMO.
And as for Excel Saga...A lot of the voices I cannot stand (Excel's comes to mind), but as far as translation and keeping in the Japanese jokes/inside jokes, it did a good job. I don't 'like how they threw random stuff in, but I do like how they kept a lot of the inside jokes without confusing people...For example, in the episode where they go to america:

Japanese version:
(Excel) In the name of the moon, I will punish you! *sailor moon pose*
(Guy) Hey, that's from that old show...didn't you used to be a voice actress for it?
(Excel) HEY, I DID REALLY GOOD IN THAT!
(or something along the lines of that...)

English Version:
(Excel) In the name of toons, I will punish you! *sailor moon pose*
(Guy) Hey, that's from that show..Sailor goons...boy, what an old show.
(Excel) HEY! I WANTED TO TRY OUT, BUT THEY DUBBED IT IN CANADA!

Both versions were hilarious, and they both kept the initial joke of her voicing Sailor Moon.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor Europa
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Sailor Europa » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:30 pm

I'll have to add to this long list that has appeared with:
Revolutionary Girl Utena.
In the beginning, there are mispronounciations of names, and the voices are a bit odd, but as the series progresses, the dubbing gets much better.
"Hey long distance. Tokyo! I love the French!" ~Ron Stoppable

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:00 pm

FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha
The Miyazaki films
Ruroni Kenshin

EDIT: I also liked Yu Yu Hakusho and Big O, though for the latter, I've never seen/heard the original.
Last edited by Starscream on Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sailor Sapphire
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sailor Sapphire » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:14 pm

I know this is going to sound weird, but...Pokemon is a good dub too! What's even more amazing is how quickly they get the dub done and still manage to do a good job!
Agree that Yu Yu Hakusho is also good
Bringing a presence that's cold as ice, I am the icy cool Gem Senshi, Sailor Sapphire!

Sapphire Gem Power, make up!

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:35 pm

Hmm, there's not been many series that I've seen both the dub AND the sub to, but so far as I can tell the Ranma 1/2 and Nadesico dubs are pretty accurate, as well as the Evangelion one. The Ranma 1/2 dub had a funny dub line that I liked because it added an anime reference:
Both: there was a story about a group of martial arts who used toys to fight, and they wanted to go back to older times, too
Original: The martial artists do a show for some kids and the kids say they have to go to cram school.
Dub: The kids say they have to go watch Pokemon. I just thought it was funny because even though it wasn't accurate, it's not terribly off since many Japanese kids DO (or at least used to) like Pokemon anyway. I found it amusing that they mentioned a Japanese show instead of an American show. The Ranma dub doesn't Americanize things, so far as I've seen (which would be EXTREMELY difficult, since it seems to be set in a more traditional, old-fashioned setting than some other anime I've seen, such as BSSM). Also, I REALLY like Shampoo's dub voice (I think I've mentioned my love of accents already).
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sailor Sapphire
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sailor Sapphire » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:42 pm

Would it be theoretically possible to have a dub that is better than the sub?
Bringing a presence that's cold as ice, I am the icy cool Gem Senshi, Sailor Sapphire!

Sapphire Gem Power, make up!

LilEva
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by LilEva » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:56 pm

Tenchi Muyo
Ranma 1/2

And I agree with the people that said the Miyazaki movies, but I have to say that the Laputa:Castle in the Sky dub was terrible. James Van Der Beek was horrible as Patzu.