If DiC dubbed these anime

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

If DiC dubbed these anime

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:18 am

Think of some anime and imagine what it'd be like if DiC dubbed it. As scary as it may seem, this can be just for fun if you want it to be. Post even the most violent anime if you want. If the thought frightens you, don't read my post.

Pokemon: Misty's shorts and top would be filled in. Tracey (no, that's too girly. His name's Kenny) will have a red sweatband instead of pink.Many of Team Rocket's blastoffs would be cut.
Beauty and the Beach would be skipped, no doubt. I'm pretty sure the whole Prima ep would be skipped too. (If you know why, good for you. If you don't, just look at this this picture) http://www.geocities.com/anyshippers/primatheory.html

Hellsing: Ellsing. Integra would be male. Many body lines will be erased from Sara Victoria. Alucard actually WANTS to help fight evil, it's not like he's bound.

Inuyasha: The Adventures of Ian Ashton and Friends. An American girl named Karen meets Ian Ashton. They have many adventures with their friends Roke and Songo. Oddly, Roke always seems to be hurt for no reason, and since Songo is the only one nearby, we assume she's a short-tempered meanie. Ian Ashton fights misunderstood monsters while dealing with relationship problems with his old girlfriend Kiki, who's dead now and is just a nasty evil girl who's out to get Karen and Ian. No way is she at all misunderstood. Later in the season, her name is changed to Keelia, probably cuz Kiki is too cute for such a mean person (and she KEELed over haha)
At this point, many Kikyo fans such as myself are pissed that she is being treated this way, and how they gave her such an annoying squeaky voice while Karen has a sweet, soft voice.

Stars: Serena would be voiced by...um, one of those girls from Nick. RiRi would be voiced by Tara Strong, probably the most suitable choice. Sadly, the old lady returns as Luna.

Daniel, the lead singer of the 3 Lites, will be made out to be some jerk who's just trying to take Serena away from Darien, and he doesn't care about her at all. He just has some kind of grudge with Darien.

When Sailor Star Fighter appears, she reveals to Sailor Moon, "Serena! I know you know of my brother Dan. I am his twin sister, Sailor Star Fighter. We have a deep connection with one another. Whenever there is danger nearby, he yells out Star Fighting Power! and switches places with me, so wherever I am he goes, and wherever he goes I am, and I fight. But he is safe because wherever I am it is always safe."
At this point, even the little kids note that she's babbling on a lot longer than she needs to. So now, Daniel is hated because he's a jerk, and Fighter's hated cuz she she's a motormouth. For the rest of the season we are relieved that they are never seen side-by-side. Sadly, many Amara and Michelle fans are disappointed because they aren't seen much either.
~~~~~~~~
(post your thoughts on Stars too if you want, but keep on topic to other anime, too, please)
Last edited by SeiUsa on Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: If DiC dubbed these anime

Post by Dinozore » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:40 am

SeiUsa wrote:When Sailor Star Fighter appears, she reveals to Sailor Moon, "Serena! I know you know of my brother Dan. I am his twin sister, Sailor Star Fighter. We have a deep connection with one another. Whenever there is danger nearby, he yells out Star Fighting Power! and switches places with me, so wherever I am he goes, and wherever he goes I am, and I fight. But he is safe because wherever I am it is always safe."
Some European dub of Stars already did that, iirc...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:17 am

You're remembering correctly. I think the Italian dub did it.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:39 am

Cowboy Bebop: The whole series would be reduced to a 15-minute clip show of Ed and Ein.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:22 pm

Puni Puni Poemi: This is how it would go-
[spoiler]
1-Poemi sliding down the rainbow, doesn't hit the ground.
2-Poemi cooking, but it stops at the explosion
3-Poemi bouncing around the classroom in the dark, cuts off before Futaba even appears
4-The first two classroom scenes (the raising her hand at nothing and then vaulting in the classroom)
5-Poemi talking with Futaba after school probably wouldn't be cut
6-Cut to the second episode, where Puni Puni is running up the monster but it doesn't show her smash it through the building because that part flashes through two people having sex
7-Then abruptly go to the part with the soldiers until Poemi shows up.
8-K-kun finding out that his parents are aliens would be shown, except it would be dubbed that he's happy about it and that's why he's crying
9-Cut to the happy ending scene at the very end except the dominatrix sister (Itsue) would have a big black box in front of her entire body.
[/spoiler]

Okay, now that's probably even more weird and disjointed than Poemi uncut, but that's probably what it would take for it to be allowed on American TV.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:44 pm

DiC probably wouldn't touch Puni Puni Poemi. Since PPP is only two episodes they wouldn't bother showing it on TV anyway.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 pm

I know they probably wouldn't (since a dub consisting of just the parts I mentioned would barely be an episode as it is) but I just was being silly since it was one where I could remember the story in detail and also was one that would get a HUGE hacking job by a dubber who wanted to cut all the objectionable material out.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Utena: Annie (Anthy) and Tina (Utena) are sisters. As are Jody (Juri) and Shirley (Shiori). Half of each episode is reduced by about 10 minutes of "objectionable material". The ending is completely changed and the last few episodes are cut up and turned into a clip show. Annie and Tina spend most of the series talking about "OH MY GAWD, LIEK TONY (Touga) IS SUUUUCH A HUNK!"
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Sylphiel wrote:Utena: Annie (Anthy) and Tina (Utena) are sisters. As are Jody (Juri) and Shirley (Shiori). Half of each episode is reduced by about 10 minutes of "objectionable material". The ending is completely changed and the last few episodes are cut up and turned into a clip show. Annie and Tina spend most of the series talking about "OH MY GAWD, LIEK TONY (Touga) IS SUUUUCH A HUNK!"
Don't forget Sammy (Saionji), who never hits Anthy. He just doesn't like girls with glasses.

...*shudders* the HORROR.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:56 pm

Tiff wrote:
Sylphiel wrote:Utena: Annie (Anthy) and Tina (Utena) are sisters. As are Jody (Juri) and Shirley (Shiori). Half of each episode is reduced by about 10 minutes of "objectionable material". The ending is completely changed and the last few episodes are cut up and turned into a clip show. Annie and Tina spend most of the series talking about "OH MY GAWD, LIEK TONY (Touga) IS SUUUUCH A HUNK!"
Don't forget Sammy (Saionji), who never hits Anthy. He just doesn't like girls with glasses.

...*shudders* the HORROR.
ROFL, yeah. That would definitely be cut... along with, like I said, pretty much half the series.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:06 pm

Slayers: First off, they would probably change the name to something like Sorcerers, becuase Slayers makes people think of vampires. DAMN THAT BUFFY.

Lizzie (Lina) and Gary (Gourry) are on a whirlwind adventure to do good deeds across the land! Violence is cut, Lina's greediness and bad behavior is cut, and it's nothing more than a generic, mindless show about a magic user and a Jedi (Gary's got a lightsaber!) who are the best of friends and just LOVE to help all!

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:29 pm

Azumanga Daioh: Renamed "High School Hi-jinx." Characters include Cindy, the brainy 13-year old; Sally, the tall girl who keeps cats at home; Amy, who comes from Boston and is nicknamed "Townie"; and Mrs. Yukari (pronounced YUKE-uh-ree), the wise teacher. Story involves the lives of perpetual 10th-graders in a small-town high school. Humor is utilized to study common teen issues like drugs, cheating on tests, and unwanted pregnancy.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:32 pm

If Dic dubbed CCS, the show's name would be changed to Cardcaptor Sara or something like that. All the names of the characters would be changed to English names instead of just some of them being kept in badly misprounced Japanese, expect for Kero who would keep his name since he's a magical creature, anyway. Dic might have actually dubbed CCS more accurately than Nelvana did, though. Nelvana tried to turn CCS into a boys' action show believing the series would get better ratings that way, but Dic actually kept in the "girlyness" of Sailor Moon, so they might actually leave the romance in CCS had they tried to dub it instead.

They still would have cut out all the "unacceptable" relationships like Toya x Yukito, but all the "normal" relationships could be left in. But I think they would probably skip the episodes where Sakura meets her great-grandfather for the first time and the episode where Kero gets drunk. The former would have to be skipped because Sakura goes inside the mansion of an old man she just met by herself and even though Kero's drunkness could be covered up, Dic probably would have thought that since it was a filler-in anyway, it would have been pointless to try and re-write the script, so why not just skip it?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:51 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote: Nelvana tried to turn CCS into a boys' action show believing the series would get better ratings that way, but Dic actually kept in the "girlyness" of Sailor Moon, so they might actually leave the romance in CCS had they tried to dub it instead.
I disagree. Optimum often made lines changed to avoid the word "maiden" or "girl" in them. In episode 13, for example, the "girls can beat boys" thing in the Japanese was changed to a cheesy "down with the Negaverse" line, and Makoto's line in the Sailor Moon R movie was changed from "Hitting a girl is the worst" to "It's not right to push people". I don't think it was until S that they stopped doing this, though I could be wrong.

Heartless_Fiend
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Heartless_Fiend » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:37 pm

Alright, I'll give it a whack...

Ranma 1/2

Well, Ronnie (Ranma) and his father Gary (Genma) have come back to Japan from China. Instead of Ranma turning into a girl, his twin sister Veronica replaces him and Ranma goes to some alternate demention thingy. It's the same for all of the characters with curses. Anyway, Ronnie finds himself engaged to Annie (Akane). He and Gary have to live with Annie family, including Karen (Kasumi), Naomi (Nabiki), and Sam (Soun). And all parts with naked or topless girls are cut, Happosai is made into a grandfatherly old man who's panty raids are cut (and his name is now Harry). Any parts with groping are cut, most violence is cut, and Akane now calls Ranma "a big, stupid jerk" instead of a pervert.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:24 am

Actually, there was a cut version of Utena that aired on ABC down here. I never saw the show, but it was called Ursula's Kisses, and had Tommy (Touga), Angie (Anthy) and Ursula (Utena). Usually ABC's kids shows are pretty good (even if they did unleash the Wiggles on the world), but this sounds like it was pretty ugly.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:44 am

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
Actually, there was a cut version of Utena that aired on ABC down here. I never saw the show, but it was called Ursula's Kisses, and had Tommy (Touga), Angie (Anthy) and Ursula (Utena). Usually ABC's kids shows are pretty good (even if they did unleash the Wiggles on the world), but this sounds like it was pretty ugly.
...W....T.....F?!?

o______O;;

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:22 pm

Tiff wrote:
...W....T.....F?!?

o______O;;
LMAO........

Looks like I wasn't that far off, HAHA! :roll:
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:47 pm

Having just seen the first two episodes (in English) on Comcast's "On Demand", I had to look this up...and every word of it is true.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:12 pm

Starscream wrote:
Having just seen the first two episodes (in English) on Comcast's "On Demand", I had to look this up...and every word of it is true.
That's.....horrendous.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama