Anime You Thought You Would Hate But Then Liked

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Anime You Thought You Would Hate But Then Liked

Post by Rainbow » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:24 am

What anime did you not like at first, and then either left it, came back, and liked it later, or else found you liked later episodes? I had that happen with Excel Saga. When I first saw it, I didn't like it. But then after I did research on it, figured out exactly what it was doing (like that they DON'T actually eat Menchi), watched Puni Puni Poemi (which I loved the first time I watched it), then I came back to Excel Saga and liked it a lot. Has anyone else had anything happen like that?
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:34 am

Detective Conan.
The way the ears and noses were drawn were not what I was used to and I thought they looked really ugly. ^^;; I actually really love the art now, even if the ears are big. xD

Plus I thought it would be mindless junk, but some of the mysteries are really confusing, so much that I had to rewatch the whole episode to understand it.

And I love Ran and Shinichi. Heiji too. YAY.

I didn't think I'd like Hunter x Hunter, we just watched it because it was on before Conan (at eight. Conan's at nine.)

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:43 pm

Petshop of Horrors. A few years ago some friends and I were hanging out and decided to get some Anime from Roger's Video. We went looking and one of them pulled out a PSOH VHS. I looked at it and thought the art looked very ugly (and the English VHS covers are nasty looking) and couldn't stand the "retarded looking girl" on the front. Plus it said that it had extreme violence, so I thought it would be an all gorefest. How wrong I was

The art in the actual episodes were very well done and the colour was very nice. The "retarded looking girl" was actually a guy, the Kawaii Count D, who ended up being my favorite Anime character. The stories were also very well written and weren't all blood and limbs. And the violence in the episodes was very tame. The commericals at the start were more gory. PSOH ended up being one of my favorite Anime and Manga series.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Full Metal Alchemist. The previews on cartoon network made it seem like some big action anime, and shows that are mostly action don't appeal to me. I also thought Al was a robot (I had only seen previews and part of an episode on CN), and that just made me even more disinterested. I don't do robot anime, unless it's got something that just REALLY appeals to me. I had no idea the show had so much emotion, and so much backstory.

....^^; the title made me think "Full Metal Jacket."

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:13 pm

I first downloaded episode one of Tokyo Mew Mew a year ago way back before it was even considered to be licensed by anyone. When I first saw it I didn't get into it any. It looked like just another generic magical girl anime and there wasn't anything unique about it that I saw that interested me. But when 4Kids announced they were dubbing it, I oddly started to get more interested in the show. I downloaded the fansubs again and I strangely liked it a lot more this time.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 pm

My HiME because they list it as mecha when it's much more than that. I dislike mecha anime such as Gundam Wing and My HiME focuses much more on character relationships than on giant robots.

Full Metal Panic is actually pretty good despite the giant robots. -_-" I actually caught on from watching the mecha-less sequel Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. I just might watch the new Full Metal Panic The Second Raid as well!

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:25 am

The Big O- When Toonami first started airing commericals it looked so bad. Me and my friends were totally turned off (We thought it was another Gundam Wing). Then we watched it, and totally fell in love. I loved the art, characters, episodes, and the animation. One of my favorite series.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:24 pm

I didn't care much for Full Moon o Sagashite at first, and I thought to myself; "Yet another pop singer shoujo series? Didn't Studio Pierrot already milk this genre dry in the 1980s?" I was hooked by the time the female lead sang her first song at the end of episode 1. I love the characters, art, and cute character designs.

And the music, of course. That's the purpose of the series, after all.

MollyNephlite_Fan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by MollyNephlite_Fan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:10 am

Acutally, I didn't think I'd like Sailor Moon very much :shock: . We went to the movie store and Rachel (my sister) got some movie I wasn't old enough to watch, so I didn't know what I wanted to get. So I just choose this movie with a anime girl on it who had weird hair and large moon on her forehead. "Sailor Moon R, Promise of the Rose?" I was thinking. "Does that mean it's rated R?" (I seriously thought that's what it meant :lol: ) but, it was in the "family" section, so I got it. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but when i was finished with it. I rewinded it, and walked it again. And then again. I liked it so much i watched it I think 5 times that night.

Whoa, that's my story. LOL.

I also didn't think I would like Love Hina, because the cover of the movie was weird looking. But I liked it alot.
Same goes for Ranma 1/2.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:49 pm

Sailor Moon, just from the original commercials they had here in the US. I actually mocked my brothers when they started watching it during the Black Moon saga. I started watching a few days later, and got hooked.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Evangelion and Gundam Wing. :D For both of which, I'm not really usually into mecha series, so that turned me off to both for a while.

With Eva - I watched a bit of it when I was much younger and I didn't find the characters likeable at all so I stopped. Couldn't initially get into the plot either. Now that I am older I find the characters fascinating in their unlikeableness and flaws :P and the more disturbing and deep parts of the series are great too.

With GW - I found it boring at first, but it had interesting enough characters and subplots that it really got me after a while.

Also, Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors from my Toonami days... thought it would be just guys running around being macho and killing stuff but it's actually great (even if the dub does suck) :D
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:15 pm

Gundam Wing: I had tried watching it, but couldn't get into it. Then one day, while i was cleaning I left the TV on for backround noise, and Gundam Wing was on. I found myself rather interested, and stopped cleaning to watch. ^^;

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:03 am

Three other shows I forgot to mention are Digimon, CCS, and Tsubasa. When Digimon first came on TV it was back when monster taming anime was pretty popular in the U.S. While I did like Pokemon at the time I admit that I was starting to get sick of all the commercialized anime being aired on TV. So, when I saw a commercial for Digimon premiering on Fox Kids, my first reaction was "Ugh, not another Pokemon." But on the Saturday it premiered, I was bored so I decided to see what the first episode was like. I acknowledged right then that the show wasn't anything like Pokemon unlike my intial reaction, but there still wasn't anything in the show that grabbed my attention. But I kept on watching it every week out of boredom and before you knew it I was hooked. I think it was the arc where they were searching for the Eigth Child in the Real World that finally did it. Since then I have been a big fan of Digimon and I abosuletly adore this series, especially Tamers, as you can tell from my username.

For CCS, I also thought it was going to be another Pokemon ripoff from the commercials of CC that I saw on Kid's WB back when it was on every Friday afternoon. But one day I was bored yet again, so I flipped it on to the Kid's WB and saw that CC was on. I remember it was the Mirror card episode that was airing, so I decided to give this show a shot and even thought it was badly dubbed, I was insantly hooked. Since then I have moved onto CCS which I also adore and have been a Clamp fan ever since. As big of a Clamp fan as I am however, I admit that I wasn't so wild about Tsubasa when it was first announced. I'm not a big fan of crossovers, so the idea of a crossover series featuring all of Clamp's most popular characters didn't exactly strike me as anything interesting. But because it was Clamp, I gave the first episode a shot. It was surprisingly very enjoyable despite having a few flaws at first but the more I watch it the more I seem to love it.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:08 pm

CCS, because I saw Cardcaptors first and I thought it was going to be the same type of series. Another was Inuyasha, I didn't think I was going to like it because of the commericals I saw. After I watched it, I loved it. :)
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

Mercurius Twin
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Mercurius Twin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:31 am

Sailor Moon, way back when it first started airing. I thought it was terrible, not really worth watching even for the pretty girls. I abandoned it entirely before the first season ended. Then, a few years later, I'm flipping through channels randomly when I stumble across Sailor Moon again. I still thought it was pretty bad, it's just that the pretty girls had more of a hold on me. ^_^ Once Sailor Moon S was dubbed though, I started watching it quite religiously. That led to me finding out about the Japanese version, and that was the point of no return. It's become ingrained since then.
Three quotes I like:

"Smart. Beautiful. Mercurius Twin."
- The "Sloganize" website

"Stop that, you! You're an accessory."
-Tsukino Usagi (to Luna, ep. 6)

"Stop the clapping! YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!"
- Professor Frink

sailor_serenity33
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailor_serenity33 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:35 pm

When Sailor Moon came out All my Friend said it was the stupidest show ever so I never really liked it even though i had never really watched it. then one day i decided to give it a look and it has now become my favorite show ever.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:25 am

Outlaw Star: During a forum between eho would win in a fight: Heero Yuy or Gene Starwind, I chose Heero because, at the time, I didn't know who Gene was. Then I watched OLS on Toonami, and was hooked on by its story. After that, I've bought the entire OLS DVD Collection, as well as Angel Links.

Evangelion: They say it's supposed to be the greatest modern anime today, but this is based on how they define the word, "great". I took a look at it myself, as well as the movies that follow it, and to me, I think it's great, but not "must-own" great.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:13 am

Monster. Just because the theme of the story just shouldn't be my type... but I don't know why, I read the manga (or, part of it, a few volumes) and got the the anime, and... and I really liked it. I have yet to see all the eps, but I'm very much planning on it.
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:47 pm

Sailor Moon. It was incredibly annoying at first, but watching only the dub didn't help too much. I found the characters to be worthy of your standard Saturday morning cartoon, and the outfits made for a serious feeling of "WTF." Luckily, there was nothing else on TV in that time slot that interested me, so I kept watching it and eventually came to love it.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:56 pm

Definately Sailor Moon. I saw the toy commericals back when it just was getting started over here and they looked a little weird. Not to mention cheesy. And then I saw one episode, it was the one about thunder from the R season. Usagi was far too whiny in my opinion and i just thought it had to be pathetic.

Then over winter break I started watching more and more of it and found that it actually had a plot. So I decided to see where it went and got hooked ever since.