Anime You Thought You Would Hate But Then Liked

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Hikari
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Hikari » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:55 pm

Full Metal Alchemist is one. I never saw any of the previews like Tiff, but looking at a clip on the website made me think "What the hell? A kid and another kid in armour are sneaking in somewhere...?" XD I thought Ed was younger. O_O *gets attacked by Ed*

But after reading the first volume and kater some of the anime, I got hooked. ^^

Another is Dragon Ball Z. I thought it was nothing but two stupid idiots fighting all the time. Oh, it is, believe me, but I loved it sooner or later somehow. o.O Well, not as much as I used to a year ago, but...yeah.

KariOhki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by KariOhki » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Air: From what my friend told me, it sounded like a depressing angst-fest. Finally he convinced me to watch it, and I was hooked after the first episode. I love Kanna.

Haibane Renmei: I actually had some interest in this when I read about it in some magazine before it was licensed. Then I forgot about it, and when it was licensed it just looked like another Lain to me (I HATED Lain) Then I watched it...and was hooked.

Anubi: Oh God.
Anubi: I just saw Mog/Terra hentai.
Kari: XDDDDDDDDDDDD
Anubi: My life is snow scarred.
Kari: ooooo, snow
Anubi: Oo, fun.
Anubi: SNOW SCARRED.
Anubi: WHOO.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:13 pm

KariOhki wrote:Then I forgot about it, and when it was licensed it just looked like another Lain to me (I HATED Lain) Then I watched it...and was hooked.
I kinda liked Lain, but Haibane Renmei, like you said, was awesome. I was a little worried of seeing it because I heard it was from the same creator of NieA_7, and I hated that series quite a bit.

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Bobobo-Bo-Bobobo: I heard the idea before it aired on Toonami and I just wrote it off as being really stupid. When it finally premired, I laughed the entire first episode. It's one of the ones I hate to miss when it comes on.

Gundam Seed: I had never watched any of the others before I saw this one and I thought it eas going to be boring. I love that show to death now, I wish it was on TV at a reasonable time.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Sat May 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Sailor Moon. I seriously didn't like it at first. I thought it was rather silly. But I began to get into it a bit more after a few episodes. Something kept me watching it. When I got around to seeing the original version, I became an even bigger fan.

I also didn't think I would enjoy Fushigi Yuugi and Utena at first. Actually I didn't get into FY the first time I watched it. I downloaded the first couple episodes and I was like "whatever". But later on, an online friend who was a huge fan of the show, sent me the entire series and the first two OVAs . Then I totally loved it.

As for Utena, something about the style threw me off, but the more I watched it, the more i loved it. then I saw the movie and completed the series... and the rest is history

Ironically those three series (SM, FY, and Utena) are my three favorite anime now. lol
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sat May 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Sailor Moon- When I first heard about it I was like "Sailor Moon? that sounds so stupid!" Then the doll commercials came out and they were like "Sailor Moon! Sailor Mars!" and so on. Then my friends started watching, so I started because of them and I was hooked.

Cowboy Bebop- I saw half an episode on toonami and I thought it was boring. Then my friend lent me her box set and I was hooked after the first episode.

SailorZero
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorZero » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:08 pm

There's this anime called "Wedding Peach". This anime was created by the same people who did SailorMoon. At first I thought this anime would be some sort of knock off that I would never like, but I fell for it. It's cute just like sailor moon and is just as much intense in the "love department"! :D If you're a true sailor moon fan, I have a feeling you'll love this anime too. Maybe you should even check it out.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 pm

SailorZero wrote:There's this anime called "Wedding Peach". This anime was created by the same people who did SailorMoon.
No, it isn't. Wedding Peach is a lot like Sailor Moon, but it was not created by the same people. The Wedding Peach manga was written/created by Tomita Sukehiro and Yazawa Nao, whereas Sailor Moon's manga was written by/created by Naoko Takeuchi.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

artemis_is_my_dawg
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by artemis_is_my_dawg » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 pm

when i was younger about 12 maybe my brother would watch shows with the stupidest names, Fooly Cooly, Cowboy Beebop, and Evangelion, so i mocked him for it. then this year i was asking him for Noir (he has a bunch of animes on discs) and saw Fooly Cooly, Cowboy Beebop, and Evangelion, and decided to give them a try. I loved them right away especially Fooly Cooly!

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Tiff wrote:
SailorZero wrote:There's this anime called "Wedding Peach". This anime was created by the same people who did SailorMoon.
No, it isn't. Wedding Peach is a lot like Sailor Moon, but it was not created by the same people. The Wedding Peach manga was written/created by Tomita Sukehiro and Yazawa Nao, whereas Sailor Moon's manga was written by/created by Naoko Takeuchi.
From what I heard, there WERE people who did Sailor Moon working on it, but really only a few.
And the manga really is created by different people, just like you said, Tiff ^^ One just has to look at the horrible art of Wedding Peach. In my opinion, Yazawa Nao really isn't talented enough, both in drawings and storytelling. Sailor Moon came out before Wedding Peach. Actually, it's a total ripoff, but I guess everyone noticed that (especially here) xD

#1SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by #1SailorMoonFan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:09 pm

FMA. I thought it was going to be lame and just a boring action story. First time watching it in Japanese, I was instantly hooked.

Jewel_Chan72
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Jewel_Chan72 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Dragon Ball Z. My friend always liked it but I never understood why until I got past the full episodes of "power-ups" and into the actual storyline. It's a good series, just very...VERY long.

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:36 am

peachvampiress wrote:Petshop of Horrors. A few years ago some friends and I were hanging out and decided to get some Anime from Roger's Video. We went looking and one of them pulled out a PSOH VHS. I looked at it and thought the art looked very ugly (and the English VHS covers are nasty looking) and couldn't stand the "retarded looking girl" on the front. Plus it said that it had extreme violence, so I thought it would be an all gorefest. How wrong I was

The art in the actual episodes were very well done and the colour was very nice. The "retarded looking girl" was actually a guy, the Kawaii Count D, who ended up being my favorite Anime character. The stories were also very well written and weren't all blood and limbs. And the violence in the episodes was very tame. The commericals at the start were more gory. PSOH ended up being one of my favorite Anime and Manga series.
Heck, yes! That is my favorite series of all time, and did you know there's a sequel to it? Sadly, Tokyo Pop has no desire to pick it up, though.

To get back on topic, the series I thought I was going to hate was Elfen Lied. I thought that was going to be just a huge gorefest (which it was) but it also had an excellent story to it which explores what it truley means to be human, and I was full out crying at the end of the series and I want to read the manga so bad!
STAGE OUT!!!

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:58 pm

I didn't think I would like One Piece at first, mainly because of the art style. I tried the first episode and didn't really like it. I decided to give it another chance because I usually give an anime ten episodes to decide if it is really good or not. I started to really like it at about episode five. I got to the Arlong arc and fell completely in love with it. It's probably my favorite anime right and the art style eventually grew on me.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:47 pm

Sailor Moon looked like utter crap to me back in 1995. I remembered they had girls with planets, and sailor outfits, and weird hair. Looked pretty freaking dumb.

Utena is another one that just sounded so bizarre from descriptions. I actually think it was Anthy who got me to watch it. I ended up finishing the series before her and telling her that

[spoiler]Anthy dies[/spoiler]

... but of course, that doesn't really happen. I just wanted to throw her off. But she was pissed at me for weeks until she finished it, because she thought I had totally ruined the super amazing ending.

My newest discovery is, I guess, Evangelion, although I am a little late. The whole robots/children thing threw me off I guess.

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:10 am

Dragonball looked so gay to me... I don't even understand why I like it now. Something about the hair I'm sure...

sailor skywalker
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by sailor skywalker » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Ah ! my goddess
I thought romance in a cartoon all epiosde long
but than Belldandy she was so sweet
and Urd and Skuld fighting one magis the other machine
0__O its was so funny I love those two

Trajedy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Trajedy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:29 pm

Prince of Tennis!

My friend is in love with it, and allI could think was "An anime... about tennis?" She finally convinced me to watch it, and now I'm completely obsessed with it, and the musicals. @[email protected]

nap*
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by nap* » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:51 pm

I honsetly thought I would hate Digimon, first thing that came into my mind was pokemon clone, but because off it I like sailor moon, It came on right before it, in the day and age where i could wake up early.

Then I thought I would hate gravitation, but it grew on me and it's now one of my favorite anime.

Finally shin chan, I thought it was stupid because of the episode i saw, then I watched a different episode because it was right before sailor moon, and I was in stiches

Lightweight
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Lightweight » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:50 pm

TOPIC REVIVAL!

Anyway...

Fullmetal Alchemist, but for different reasons any of you've posted. On a previous forum I was, many of the members (all females) were so infatuated with FMA that they even changed the theme of the forum to feature a FMA theme, complete with shirtless Ed. I decided I didn't want to be part in what could possibly be some overhyped crap, and stopped right there... until one day when I just happened to be awake when FMA was on. It was episode 7 (you know the one). I became hopelessly hooked.

Princess Tutu. I can't explain why, it just looked far too... strange for my tastes. However, once I gave it one chance to understand it, I loved it.

Evangelion. I watched it when I was younger, and something struck me as unsettling. I just... couldn't watch. Now that I'm older, I think I can appreciate it more.
Now listening to: Gorillaz: El Mañana

"You can teach an old dog new tricks... but you cannot teach Madonna to act."
-Yakko Warner

Officially finished watching all Sailor Moon episodes as of April 19, 2008!!!