InuYasha

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:28 am

Dinozore wrote:Does the constant mispronunciation of English in the Japanese language (including anime) bother you too, then? They're both the same thing to me, and neither really bothers me.

I keep running into people online who speak of the IY dub like it's the Yu-gi-oh dub, and it doesn't deserve that.
Nope. You know why? Becuase the Japanese are actually trying,and find English to be somewhat mature. They actually put effort into learning it. Half the time, it seems dub actors/actresses and dub companies just look at the name, say it once, and decide that that's how it must be pronounced.
Take utena for example. U-Tehn-Ah. NOT OOT-EHN-AW. It's ridiculous. You can HEAR her say Utena, and be able to pronounce it right. It's like they're not even trying.
Therefore, it isn't the same.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:51 am

It seems to me that a lot of the use of English is just because the Japanese think English is cool. I mean, they put some damn stupid (and at times just plain nonsensical) English on their stuff... not to mention the random English words...

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:53 am

I've only seen like 4 episodes but I like it, Inuyasha is nicer when he's completely human hehe.

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:25 pm

Luchia Nanami wrote:
FoxFire wrote:They really need to do something with Kikyo too.
Yeah.

Kill her.
That fucking bitch! I cannot stand her... oh wait. Yes I can. She's a feminist. I wish I knew why I like feminists so much, being male and all.

shansen
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by shansen » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:32 am

I have to admit, I've never really been a fan of Kikyou. Here's a spoiler from episode 124 (there are more recent ones out there, but I haven't seen them yet) concerning this topic.
[spoiler]Kikyou dies ... apparently. Naraku finds a way to get rid of his human side, which liked Kikyou and wouldn't let him kill her. He tells her this, and then attacks her. After wounding her, he pushes her into a fissure whose bottom is filled with Naraku's shouki (poison found in Naraku's body), so her body will melt.

She falls, has flashbacks concerning her and Inuyasha. Inuyasha (and company) run to this spot, see her broken bow, and a sad song plays in the background as Inuyasha realizes this. Naraku's human part (which is detached from the rest of his body and being taken care of by Kagura) confirms that Naraku did kill Kikyou.

But ... in classic anime fashion, the next episode preview has Kagome asking Kagura if the story that Kikyou has survived is a lie. I haven't seen past this, so I can't comment any further ... when I do, I can let people know, if desired.[/spoiler]

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:53 am

Actually, I know what happens a little farther along...
[spoiler]Kikyo isn't dead after all. Much later, she appears as "the Saint" during Abi's reign of terror that ends with her (Abi's) death at Naraku's hands (well, tentacle thingy, really). Kikyo is still "alive" and well as of the latest chapters of the manga (http://www.wot-club.org.uk/Inuyasha/ provides summaries of the latest manga chapters, if you are interested)[/spoiler]

Yep, there you go.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:53 am

I've never seen it, but it sounds rather interesting. I go to bed before Adult Swim comes on, though.

Inu Yasha means "dog spirit," right? He's supposed to look like a dog, right? I think he looks like an Eskimo dog crossed with a human...one of those white dogs that look kind of like wolves with their curled tails and pointy ears, right?
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

shansen
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by shansen » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:30 am

Rainbow wrote:Inu Yasha means "dog spirit," right? He's supposed to look like a dog, right? I think he looks like an Eskimo dog crossed with a human...one of those white dogs that look kind of like wolves with their curled tails and pointy ears, right?
Here's an excerpt from http://www.anzwers.org/free/hearth/iy/cg/guide01.htm:

"'Inuyasha' is written with the kanji (ideograms) for 'dog', 'night' and 'witch'. 'Yasha' actually means female demon or witch, but the name can be loosely translated as 'dog-demon'."

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:07 pm

Dinozore wrote:It seems to me that a lot of the use of English is just because the Japanese think English is cool. I mean, they put some damn stupid (and at times just plain nonsensical) English on their stuff... not to mention the random English words...
so what's your point? That still stands with what I said. Think about the S episode where Usagi gets drunk. She sees everybody speaking English and is highly impressed by it. She sees everybody speaking English to be an adult atmosphere. The Japanese don't always realize their English is bad, but they put it on signs, businesses, clothing, and in songs, whereas our anime voice actors can't even put an effort into pronouncing a damn name right.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:52 pm

Tiff wrote:so what's your point? That still stands with what I said. Think about the S episode where Usagi gets drunk. She sees everybody speaking English and is highly impressed by it. She sees everybody speaking English to be an adult atmosphere. The Japanese don't always realize their English is bad, but they put it on signs, businesses, clothing, and in songs, whereas our anime voice actors can't even put an effort into pronouncing a damn name right.
I never did understand how English was linked to an adult atmosphere... maybe because I've spoken the language my whole life...

And I severely doubt the English VAs are intentionally mispronouncing anything...

For that matter, there aren't really any major mispronunciations in the Inuyasha dub.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:47 pm

*dances around the little debate going on* I used to watch Inu Yasha, and I really liked it. Then Adult Swim moved it late at night not good time and I can't stay up that late just to watch a cartoon when I have to go to class the next day. The same thing goes with Trigun and Bebop, tho I've seen all of Bebop. Weasels and their late-night shows. I've access to the manga, but there's just so much of it that I can't invest that much money in it. I'd love to read it tho.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:14 pm

Dinozore wrote:
And I severely doubt the English VAs are intentionally mispronouncing anything...

For that matter, there aren't really any major mispronunciations in the Inuyasha dub.
Of course they aren't doing it intentionally. I never said they were. What I said is that half of them don't do any research. I've read interviews where the actors/actresses have never even seen the anime before they start making them do the lines.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:39 pm

To jump into the debate here, I agree with Dinozore. I can deal with it. The Japanese may look at English words too and pronounce them how they see it. We do the same thing with Japanese. I somehow have this knack for looking at romanji and pronouncing it and later hearing I had it right. Almost always. "Usagi" and "Michiru" were kind of tough. But when I look at "Kagome" I pronounce it how they do. And they way Kagome's VA pronounces "Kagome Higurashi" is excellent. She even rolls her tounge on the "Higurashi." "My name is Kagome! Kah-go-meh!" I've never heard her name prounounced in Japanese before. Is that right?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:13 pm

Sailor X wrote:To jump into the debate here, I agree with Dinozore. I can deal with it. The Japanese may look at English words too and pronounce them how they see it. We do the same thing with Japanese. I somehow have this knack for looking at romanji and pronouncing it and later hearing I had it right. Almost always. "Usagi" and "Michiru" were kind of tough. But when I look at "Kagome" I pronounce it how they do. And they way Kagome's VA pronounces "Kagome Higurashi" is excellent. She even rolls her tounge on the "Higurashi." "My name is Kagome! Kah-go-meh!" I've never heard her name prounounced in Japanese before. Is that right?
See, i'm different. I research it and make sure i'm pronouncing it right. I don't even attempt to pronounce a japanese word until I hear it first. And yes, Kagome's VA pronounces it fine..it's the OTHER VAs that don't.
But we're never going to agree, so i shall whack all three of us with the on-topic stick, and end this pointless debate.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:40 pm

*gets whacked with stick* OW! Pain...

OY, ADULT SWIM! ISN"T THIS THE THIRD WEEK OF FLCL!? WHERE IS INUYASHA!? WHERE!?
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:01 am

I think it comes back next week, or maybe it was the week after that. Go to their site and check the schedule...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:16 pm

Inuyasha comes back on TV this up-coming monday at the same time it used to come on. They are going to be airing it from episode one.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Sailor_Trinity
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailor_Trinity » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:00 pm

I watched it on cartoon network.........all reruns but still good I guess.

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:26 pm

*plays a bugle and then takes deep breath* OY, PEOPLE OF SMU! INUYASHA RETURNS TONIGHT AT 11:05, 5 MINUTES LATER THAN USUAL BECAUSE OF STAR WARS:CLONE WARS! WATCHITDAMMIT! *faints*
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:06 pm

I have edited your size 18 font. There is no need for such a large size, it's just an eyesore.