InuYasha

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:53 am

They just showed the episode where we finally know who Naraku is & they changed the ending theme, but ok I even love this one better. I love the songs even if I have no idea what the lyrics mean. So yeah how many episodes are there in total?

Aoi Hikari
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Aoi Hikari » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:05 am

In Japan they are up episode 130 and the manga is up to chapter 337.
Proud to be a R. Dorothy, Mimiru, Asuka Soryuu, and Kaworu Nagisa Fangirl!!!
Also proud to be Anti-Subaru!!

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:05 am

Aoi Hikari wrote:In Japan they are up episode 130 and the manga is up to chapter 337.
That's cool.:) I heard they have a 3rd movie coming out in December, *sighs* wish we can see it here, but oh well.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:28 am

I wouldn't worry. I really can't see Viz missing the opportunity to release the Inuyasha movies in the US, especially given the popularity the show seems to be enjoying thanks to Adult Swim...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

shansen
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by shansen » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:54 am

I'm curious about something concerning the dub ... specifically, the names of certain attacks/weapons, as well as some other general stuff. Whenever I look stuff up on the web, it's hard to tell if the people are using the romanized version (or directly translating it from Japanese), or if it's the actual dub name.

Anyway, here's a list of the main ones (Note: I'm not exactly sure where the show is at in the U.S., so some attacks might not have been used yet.)

- Shikon no tama (literally "ball of four souls" ... I would guess something like "shikon jewel" would be used)

Inuyasha's stuff:
- Sankontessou (Inuyasha's main claw-based attack; it's got several different translations, but most are like "soul-shattering iron claw")
- Tessaiga (Inuyasha's sword; lit. "iron-crushing fang")
- Kaze no Kizu (Attack used with Tessaiga; lit. "Wound of the wind")

Other characters:
- Kagome: Hana no ya (lit. "purity arrow")
- Shippo: Kitsune bi (Shippo's fire attack; lit. "fox fire")
- Sango: Hiraikotsu (Sango's bone boomerang; no idea what the translation is)
- Miroku: Kazaana (His air void; lit. "air hole")
- Sesshoumaru: Tenseiga (His sword that can restore 100 lives; lit. "Heavenly Life Fang", apparently)

A couple of others that I'm pretty sure you haven't reached, so I'll stick them in spoiler code, are:
[spoiler]
Inuyasha - Bakuryuuha (Tessaiga's ultimate attack)
Sesshoumaru's other sword - Toukijin)
[/spoiler]
This is just out of curiosity's sake ... I don't need this for any particular reason (i.e. it's not for a fanfic, or any other such thing).

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:32 am

shansen wrote:Shikon no tama (literally "ball of four souls" ... I would guess something like "shikon jewel" would be used)
Usually called the Shikon jewel, but it was called Shikon no Tama once and I believe it has been reffered to as the Jewel of Four Souls also
Inuyasha's stuff:
- Sankontessou (Inuyasha's main claw-based attack; it's got several different translations, but most are like "soul-shattering iron claw")
- Tessaiga (Inuyasha's sword; lit. "iron-crushing fang")
- Kaze no Kizu (Attack used with Tessaiga; lit. "Wound of the wind")
The first one is called Iron Reaver Soul Stealer. Not a good translation, but it does admittedly sound pretty cool when his VA says it
Tetsusaiga (I've seen it called both Tessaiga and Tetsusaiga before) has the Japanese name still
Kaze no Kizu has been referred to as the "Wind Scar" (which, as I understand, is another possible translation of "Kzae no Kizu"), but I don't think the name has ever been shouted in battle in the episodes I've seen so far
Other characters:
- Kagome: Hana no ya (lit. "purity arrow")
*thinks* I don't remember. I don't think it has a name in the dub...
-Shippo: Kitsune bi (Shippo's fire attack; lit. "fox fire")
It's called Fox Fire
- Sango: Hiraikotsu (Sango's bone boomerang; no idea what the translation is)
I believe the translation is something about a flying bone. And the Japanese name is retained on this one.
- Miroku: Kazaana (His air void; lit. "air hole")
It's called Wind Tunnel
- Sesshoumaru: Tenseiga (His sword that can restore 100 lives; lit. "Heavenly Life Fang", apparently)
Just like Tetsusaiga, the name is unchanged. The name is mispronounced in the first episode it's mentioned in, but it's pronounced correctly after that
Sesshoumaru's other sword - Toukijin)
That's not a spoiler (CN showed up to episode 52), and just like the other swords, the name is unchanged.

As for Bakuryuuha, I've heard rumors that it's going to be called Dragon Twister (I believe it has that name in the PS1 game that was released recently), but we won't know for sure until CN shows some more new episodes next year.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome

shansen
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by shansen » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:07 am

Thanks a lot, Dinozore! I was just really curious about that stuff.
Dinozore wrote:I've seen it called both Tessaiga and Tetsusaiga before
This all revolves around the fact that, if the Japanese symbol for "tsu" is written smaller than usual, it becomes a special character.

In the anime, it's quite clear that the "tsu" is in fact small (one of the episode titles is "Tessaiga versus Tenseiga", and it's clear that the "tsu" is in fact smaller) meaning that the pronunciation is "tessaiga". However, in the manga, it's more unclear; it seems to be more like a normal-size "tsu".

I think most people are comfortable with either one, although from what I've seen "tessaiga" has become the more popular form (at least for anime-related discussions).
Dinozore wrote:Kaze no Kizu has been referred to as the "Wind Scar"
Yeah, "kizu" has a bunch of meanings (from http://www.solon.org/cgi-bin/j-e/dict):

wound; injury; hurt; cut; gash; bruise; scratch; scar; weak point

Anyway, thanks again for the information! It's good to know that the translations are pretty accurate.

By the way, for those who are wondering, episode 136 is airing in Japan on Dec. 8th. There probably won't be much more new after that until the New Year, seeing how the third movie is airing on Dec. 20.

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:55 pm

I finally ordered the second movie! It should come in this week.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:18 pm

You know, after watching the first and second movies I decided I like the second one much more. At least a third of the first movie was just reviewing the series! I guess it's great if you've never seen the show, but if you've seen the series before it's really boring! I liked the enemy in the second movie more too. Princess Kaguya (or KagOOya for those in the Sailor Moon S dub) is pretty and I like the legend behind her.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

krystalkarrierkpc
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by krystalkarrierkpc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:08 am

I agree with anyone who thinks Kikyou should be shot hanged and burned.

While we are on the the subject who do you think deserves Inuyasha's love:

Kagome or Kikyou?

You should know my answer.

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:31 pm

KAGOME, DAMMIT! Three-point essay on why she derseves InuYasha's love coming soon. (NOT!) I think it's because Kagome actually loves him, unlike the revived Kikyo, who has repeatedly tried to kill him. I think InuYasha loves her too. I actually like the Kikyo for BEFORE she died, bu the revived one- I mean, GOD. She's annoying. Plus, Kagome isn't dead.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

Yamato-san
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Yamato-san » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:06 am

I'm sure I've mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm one of those who thinks Kikyou's better suited than Kagome.

Dammit, I appear to be a minority on here. Is there anyone else besides me who'd prefer Kikyou over Kagome?

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:36 am

I find Kikyo to be much more attractive than Kagome.

Honestly, I can understand why Kikyo is the way she is. I mean, if I died like she did and was revived by sorcery, I'd be pissed too...

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:58 am

I prefer Kagome, Kikyo is living an unnatural life and really deserves to go back to resting in peace. Not only that, but Kikyo doesn't really want to be with Inuyasha anymore. She might have feelings for him, but getting revenge so her soul can be at peace is far more important then anything to her now.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

lunareclipse
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by lunareclipse » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:55 am

She (Kikyou) makes me feel sorry for her. I mean with her tragic story and all. But when she starts acting all petty and pitful I just get all angry and vicious again. It would be a lot better if she makes up her mind. But the show would lose a dramatic point of interest. So I guess I'll have to stick with it or find something else to watch(like that's gonna happen).

I think of IY as an animated soap opera.

One Half-Demon torn between two lovers.
One Modern Day Girl in love with the halfbreed who chooses the other evil girl who only wants him dead over the one he really loves but doesn't know it.
One evil Big Bad Demon who wants the evil girl to himself and all power over Feudal Japan.
Toss in a pervert and a girl with a sad story and no family left and you've got yourself a soap opera.

Bizzare.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:18 am

Days of our Youkai… weekdays at three.

I know that was lame, but I just couldn't help myself. -_-;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

MysticalChicken
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MysticalChicken » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:53 pm

I <3 Inuyasha. I've seen all the dubbed episodes and have 95 subbed episodes d/l off KazaaLite (so far I've watched about 75 of them, but it's been a while so I'm watching them all from ep. 1 again). Dear lord god in heaven I loves me my cable modem. ^_^ Also have two of the manga, would have more but I just keep forgetting to buy them. Except I wish they wouldn't have done the reversey-thing with the manga. It's not THAT hard to read from right to left. I do it with my DB manga, and it only took me about three pages to get used to it. But I digress. Anyway--I wanna tweak Inuyasha's doggie ears!!

*tweak tweak tweak*

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:28 pm

As I said above, I ordered the second movie. It came in a couple of weeks ago, and I think it was a good movie, but I like the first one better. :wink:
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:03 am

To clarify my position, I've only read the manga up to volume 15. Never seen the anime. Hopeing to get it soon though.

Personally in answer to who Inu Yasha should be with....I think Kagome. If Kikyo were still completly in her right mind like before she died, then I would more likely side with her. But I do enjoy the cute moments between Inu Yasha and Kagome.

Kikyo needs anger management. Her attempts to kill him are just cries for help. she's a little too twisted for my complete liking. Her idea of a date is draging him down to the grave with her.

I never thought of this as a soap opera, but it is.

*side note* I actually enjoy the right to left english manga that has been coming out. It takes a little getting used to as was stated, but after some time you just slip into it without thinking. Although I was in the Japanese bookstore browsing through the english manga and heard a kid ask his mom why the books were backward and the mom just said that they read theirs backward in japan. I can't help getting slightly irriated when people say that, considering it's not backward in that country.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:27 pm

YTV has started airing it Fridays at 10:00pm and 10:30pm. I watched the first few episodes and it look alright.
Last edited by peachvampiress on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings