Stupid Dub Cuts

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Stupid Dub Cuts

Post by Rainbow » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:07 pm

Okay, there's one for dub lines you hate, now what about things that were cut out of episodes (not changed lines, cut scenes)? I actually can think of at least one from the R season that annoys me...

Okay, it's the part where King Endymion (King Darien?) has just revealed that Chibi-Usa is Mamoru and Usagi's daughter. Each of the Inner Senshi has a reaction to it, and they cut Mars's out! Why hers was cut out makes no sense...do they not want to show her being angry/shocked at finding that out? I remember watching the dub and waiting for her reaction there and I didn't see it.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:54 pm

When that little baby pees on Ann. What was REALLY stupid, is that they PUT the scene in 'Sailor Says'. Idiots.

Sailor Solider
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Sailor Solider » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:54 pm

The whole entire 45/46 episodes.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:56 pm

Amen to that, Sailor Solider.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Stupid Dub Cuts

Post by Tiff » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:57 pm

Rainbow wrote: Okay, it's the part where King Endymion (King Darien?) has just revealed that Chibi-Usa is Mamoru and Usagi's daughter. Each of the Inner Senshi has a reaction to it, and they cut Mars's out! Why hers was cut out makes no sense...do they not want to show her being angry/shocked at finding that out? I remember watching the dub and waiting for her reaction there and I didn't see it.
Mars's words are: "WHERE, WHEN, AND HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?" which can be considered inappropriate to some viewers, and therefore, it was cut out. It was obvious she meant "when on earth did you two shack up?", so I can kind of see why they cut it out. Granted, I think it's hilarious and wish they hadn't.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:00 am

I never understood why that freaked her out so badly, myself...

And though in our eyes 45/46's editing was pretty stupid, the rationale behind it is understandable enough. All that death and whatnot is a wee bit dark for their target audience...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:07 am

Dinozore wrote:I never understood why that freaked her out so badly, myself...
It wasn't so much that it freaked her out..it was the fact that she's protective of Usagi, and wanted to know when the hell she was out having sex with Mamoru..not to mention Rei's small, but existing past with Mamoru. I would be just a tad jealous too if I knew that he had a daughter with my best friend.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:41 am

Mars's words are: "WHERE, WHEN, AND HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?"
I think she said: "What Year, Month, and Day did this happen?!?!" and then cuts to Usagi and Mamoru with red faces basicly stunned by the whole thing.

They cut that out? Baka DiC. it's just so funny! I mean, in animes it's just awsome when characters snap. so comical... :lol:

I haven't seen the dub in YEARS, so I can't really say anything.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:41 am

episode 45/46 was just beyond belief of edits. 'I'm perfectly fine one minute and beaten up the next for no apparent reason'. It took me watching it a couple times to realize that the senshi actually were dead and not just Usagi imagining them there. (Ok, so I didn't catch on to things like that immediately when I was a teenager)

Anything with japanese writing is always edited. (at least 90% of the time) Let's not expose children to other countries and writing.
*shrugs* who knows why.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Re: Stupid Dub Cuts

Post by Rainbow » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:18 am

Tiff wrote:
Rainbow wrote: Okay, it's the part where King Endymion (King Darien?) has just revealed that Chibi-Usa is Mamoru and Usagi's daughter. Each of the Inner Senshi has a reaction to it, and they cut Mars's out! Why hers was cut out makes no sense...do they not want to show her being angry/shocked at finding that out? I remember watching the dub and waiting for her reaction there and I didn't see it.
Mars's words are: "WHERE, WHEN, AND HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?" which can be considered inappropriate to some viewers, and therefore, it was cut out. It was obvious she meant "when on earth did you two shack up?", so I can kind of see why they cut it out. Granted, I think it's hilarious and wish they hadn't.
Huh, you know, I didn't think about that, but they COULD'VE changed the line to be:
"Of course she's Serena's daughter! They're both annoying!!"
or something like that. There's nothing objectionable in the animation, just in what she says, so she could say something different. (not to mention some of their changed lines end up having sexual connotations anyway, as mentioned on this very forum)

I really didn't notice the sexual connotation when I posted the topic in the first place, since I tend to not notice those in general.

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:18 am

Yes, the dub seems to have a problem with making their audience LAUGH. Usagi spewing juice in Rei's face, Luna scratching Artemis in the face for saying something perverted, the Sailor Senshi clapping when Mercury freezes one of the monsters in SuperS, the Crayon Shin-chan parody (even using the same kid as Shin-chan in the Japanese version), Minako screwing up phrases..all these cuts really took a lot out of one of the best aspects of the series. The humor.

And there is NOTHING funny about humor being cut out. -_-
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:10 pm

Dinozore wrote:I never understood why that freaked her out so badly, myself...

And though in our eyes 45/46's editing was pretty stupid, the rationale behind it is understandable enough. All that death and whatnot is a wee bit dark for their target audience...
Well ... what confuses me to a certain extent [spoiler] is the fact that 45/46 were edited so much to make it seem as if the senshi were just "captured" and not killed, and yet they leave Nephrite's death in, which can be argued to be even more depressing and disturbing than the deaths of the Sailor Senshi since he doesn't get brought back to life. Granted, it might have been really difficult to edit out Nephrite's death, but I'm sure if they tried hard enough they could have. [/spoiler][/spoiler]

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:15 pm

[spoiler]Sure, but Nephrite is a bad guy most of the time, even though at the time of his death he's good.[/spoiler]

Seiya Kou Forever
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Seiya Kou Forever » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:20 pm

er..can someone tell me what 45/46 is. lol.. :lol:
When I look in your eyes, I am drawn into them. Because my heart is beating so quickly, I know this is real. This heartache is too much, I've grown tired of it. Your smiling face is too brilliant. If we had met earlier. All I can find is that excuse.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:26 pm

Seiya Kou Forever wrote:er..can someone tell me what 45/46 is. lol.. :lol:
Episodes 45/46, where the senshi [spoiler] go to confront Beryl, but each of the inner senshi dies in the process. They are the last two episodes of the first season. [/spoiler]

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Seiya Kou Forever
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Seiya Kou Forever » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:49 pm

Tiff wrote:
Seiya Kou Forever wrote:er..can someone tell me what 45/46 is. lol.. :lol:
Episodes 45/46, where the senshi [spoiler] go to confront Beryl, but each of the inner senshi dies in the process. They are the last two episodes of the first season. [/spoiler]
oh!! but didn't the dub show how the scouts die? i mean they [spoiler]went up to the "doom and gloom sisters" and they killed them, and in the process, they died too. or did the japanese actually show how they died? [/spoiler]
When I look in your eyes, I am drawn into them. Because my heart is beating so quickly, I know this is real. This heartache is too much, I've grown tired of it. Your smiling face is too brilliant. If we had met earlier. All I can find is that excuse.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:06 pm

Seiya Kou Forever wrote:
oh!! but didn't the dub show how the scouts die? i mean they [spoiler]went up to the "doom and gloom sisters" and they killed them, and in the process, they died too. or did the japanese actually show how they died? [/spoiler]
-_- They explained their deaths as "going to the negaverse". They cut out a lot of snippets here and there. The senshi were never labled as being DEAD in the dub

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:41 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:
Anything with japanese writing is always edited. (at least 90% of the time) Let's not expose children to other countries and writing.
*shrugs* who knows why.
This is especially stupid since they talk quite a bit during the R season that the city they live in is Crystal Tokyo in the future, even in the dubbed version. Why cut out Japanese text when they clearly state that they're in Japan? Couldn't they have had subtitles for the Japanese text underneath it or something like what ADV Films does with the official subbed version? I mean, the whole point of cutting it out is because the kids can't read it, right? So, as long as they translate it, it should be fine to leave in the Japanese text especially because they make it clear that the dub takes place in Japan, right?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:56 pm

Somehting that annoys me and got me going was how rini's when she first comes into the anime was handled you see a bright light and her land the kiss etc then when she goes to get the gun bright light and you see her fall but it then cut's to somthing else it confused me no end
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:16 pm

Chibi-Usa was pointing a gun at Usagi, and acting dead serious about it, so I can easily see why that was cut...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot