Stupid Dub Cuts

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:15 pm

One thing that was often mentioned in the site's episode comparisons that I do find odd is how come Cloverway didn't want to show the moment a character crashes into something (a wall, the stacked oil barrels in Haruka's entrance episode, etc.)? Is this trying to minimize the violence shown on television? That doesn't make sense, though, since the action itself is still obvious. (not to mention Cloverway kept in other, more violent parts, like Neptune and Uranus being shot by arrows in the Marine Cathedral)
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:46 pm

Dinozore wrote:Chibi-Usa was pointing a gun at Usagi, and acting dead serious about it, so I can easily see why that was cut...
umm I can as well I was pointing out how badly edit it was doneand how confuseing it was for me when I frist saw it
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Another stupid cut is DiC cutting out Usagi and Tuxedo Kamen falling off the balcony in episode 22. What I don't understand is why they cut it out. I mean, what was so offensive about it? Usagi's panties weren't revealed underneath her dress when she fell off the balcony and it wasn't violent or that scary since Luna came to the rescue with the umbrella. It couldn't have been a cut for time length either since they tried to make up for the loss time by re-using some footage from earlier in the episode of Usagi walking through the hallway when she gets drink spilt onto her dress.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:00 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Another stupid cut is DiC cutting out Usagi and Tuxedo Kamen falling off the balcony in episode 22. What I don't understand is why they cut it out. I mean, what was so offensive about it? Usagi's panties weren't revealed underneath her dress when she fell off the balcony and it wasn't violent or that scary since Luna came to the rescue with the umbrella. It couldn't have been a cut for time length either since they tried to make up for the loss time by re-using some footage from earlier in the episode of Usagi walking through the hallway when she gets drink spilt onto her dress.
They cut it out because they didn't want kids thinking that umbrellas make effective parachutes. That's probably another reason SailorStars wouldn't make it here is because Chibi Chibi floats on her umbrella more than any character and she's a toddler.

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 am

But didn't DiC leave it in the flashbacks in "Day of Destiny?" If they left in at one point, why did they cut it out in another?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:51 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:But didn't DiC leave it in the flashbacks in "Day of Destiny?" If they left in at one point, why did they cut it out in another?
Forgetfulness, laziness, or deciding later that it wasn't really harmful to show it to kids. You could ask the same question about any of the cuts they did where they show it anyway in the Sailor Moon Says segments.

Seiya Kou Forever
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Seiya Kou Forever » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:52 am

basically, sailor moon is supposed to be pg13. the dvd says so. with the "nudity" and everything. i don't see why the companies are so stupid. if you're not gona finish putting a show on air, then don't begin it in the first place! :x
When I look in your eyes, I am drawn into them. Because my heart is beating so quickly, I know this is real. This heartache is too much, I've grown tired of it. Your smiling face is too brilliant. If we had met earlier. All I can find is that excuse.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:11 pm

Seiya Kou Forever wrote:basically, sailor moon is supposed to be pg13. the dvd says so. with the "nudity" and everything. i don't see why the companies are so stupid. if you're not gona finish putting a show on air, then don't begin it in the first place! :x
Because these people refuse to realize that Sailor Moon is a KIDS show, even with "nudity". It is not a show specifically made for teenagers, it is for kids. And to have to censor a kids' show into even more kid-friendly kids show is just tedious extra work. Just cut out the swearing, some mild innunendo, and nothing else..90% of the edits in the dub wouldn't exist if Optimum just did that.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:54 pm

The most stupidest cut was the cutest Sailor Moon openings where we have Usagi talking about how she became a Sailor Soldier and funny that all of those "Sailor Says" segments has clips of these scenes.

I just think its cute(and I love Mitsuishi Kotono's voice for the role).

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:31 am

Mars bitch slapping Moon FTW of dumbest cut ever. They showed it in the pre episode preview. They showed Mars approaching Sailor Moon angrily with a I'm gonna slap her stupid ass face look. And we see the aftereffect on moon's cheek in her holding touching where she got slapped. So why did Optimum/Dic (whichever handle the actual editing) bother to cut the actual bitch slap?

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:58 am

One bunch of cuts that always annoys me take place during the R episode in which Saphir dies. In the dub, a lot of the interaction between him and Petz is cut, as well as many of the scenes of her after his death. I really felt it took away a lot of the impact of his death, to have those scenes hacked to bits. The original version had me close to tears as I watched it, the dub definitely had a lesser impact.

I wonder why the scenes were cut, though? It couldn't have been an attempt to deny he was going to die/had died; that much was obvious. It makes no sense.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 am

I hate how they cut Usagi's cooking lesson in the curry episode because of the mere suggestion of a finger being cut off.
It was a cute, fun scene, and a whole big chunk cut out of the episode.

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:23 am

And have we forgotten they couldn't edit out every time the senshi had a group make up scene, yet they had no problem editing out the previousley mentioned scenes?