The Villains: portrayed better in the anime then the manga?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jermyn
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

The Villains: portrayed better in the anime then the manga?

Post by Jermyn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:11 pm

Would any of you here agree with me, that the five villain groups of the series received far better characterization and treatment in the anime than in the manga? This was a major problem I had with the Manga, almost all the villains in it come across as extremely generic "BAW HA HA I AM EVIL" characters with no real personality.
While in the anime, we get to know them and even to understand and sympathize with them a bit.

In the Manga, The Shitennou, Ayakashi Sisters, Witches 5, Amazon Trio and Sailor Animamates are nothing more than glorified monsters of the day compared to their anime counterparts.

Prince Demand is a one-dimensional psycho and would be rapist instead of a noble leader who wanted the best for his people and was corrupted by Wiseman and his obsession for Neo-Queen Serenity.

Wiseman is no longer the scary sadistic intelligent monster of the anime who delights in manipulating and corrupting people but a boring "I want revenge and the Silver Crystal!" villain.

Professor Tomoe is no longer a man who deeply loves his daughter and is possessed by a evil but funny demon but a run-of-the-mill mad scientist guy.

Queen Nehelenia is a generic evil sorceress lady instead of the creepy and insane but extremely tragic villainess of the anime.

Indeed, the only villains I've thought had better portrayals in the Manga were Queen Metallia, Pharaoh 90, Chaos (Since they played a more active role) and maybe Sailor Galaxia.

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:15 pm

Well, yeah, but you gotta remember that in the manga, the minions die almost right away. We dont get to know them personally as we do in the anime. In the manga they (from I can remember, Jadeite, Nephrite, the Ayakashi Sisters, and many more) only last for a few chapters before being killed off by Sailor Moon or the other senshi.

In the anime, they have wayyy more time to develop the characters and all that. thats why they have to many fillers so we can get to know their background and sympathize with them. they also move and talk, so automatically its like theyre more alive, and instantly gives them some type of personality.

But the same can be said for the last 3 witches in Sailor Moon S in the anime. Since they only get one episode, they, too, seem like the generic "HA HA HA im evil" and theyre killed instantly, without us, the viewer, getting to know them.

That's the way I see it anyway.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:02 pm

It's been a while since I read the manga, but from what I remember, they did get a bit more plot development than most other villains/minions. Or, at least there was enough development on them for you to find out that they once served Prince Endymion before turning. Then, the Black Moon Clan gets a bit of personality development as they're laying out their plans to capture the senshi, and you even find out at one point why Sapphire (using dub name because I can't remember his original name for some reason) would never put on the Black Crystal earrings like everyone else, leading to a bit of their backstory. And in the Deathbusters, while Dr. Tomoe does come off as the Mad Scientist, it's Hotaru that reveals that he was once a caring person before the accident that killed her mother and started everything. Then, in SuperS, I think that the Amazon Trio were only meant to come off as animals that had been enchanted to do a job, which they end up failing at. The Amazon Quartet get enough development in the manga for you to end up finding out that they were actually Sailor Soldiers who had been awakened far too early and possessed. Then the Sailor Anima-mates were supposed to have none of their original souls left, making them nothing more than puppets, with Galaxia herself being a puppet of Chaos as well. And Galaxia gets enough development for you to find out her backstory and how she ended up in the position she ended up in.

You could also argue on behalf of the manga that the focus was on turning Tsukino Usagi and her friends into superheroes, therefore the villains getting a personality at all was to be sacrificed. Or that Takeuchi-sensei's publishing deadlines and such at the time had something to do with it.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:28 am

I think that way about the sub-villains (Witches 5, etc.) but I thought the main villains were more interesting in the manga.

Queen Beryl had a very interesting backstory in the manga. But in the anime, she's just there and working for Metallia.

I loved how evil Demand was in the manga. He was heartless, and completely insane.[spoiler] Killing his own brother, trying to erase all existance -- woah![/spoiler] Manga Tomoe was more-or-less the same.
Queen Nehelenia is a generic evil sorceress lady instead of the creepy and insane but extremely tragic villainess of the anime.
How is Nehelenia tragic? She saw her ugly future, and took it out on everybody else. I don't care what Sailor Stars tries to make her look like. Nehelenia was selfish. Anyone who turns people into zombies just to stay beautiful is a selfish bitch. Though I will agree with you, I thought Nehelenia was handled better in the anime (ignoring Stars).

And finally, Galaxia was a 1000x more interesting in the manga. She was a complete badass, who ultimately wanted to make something of herself no matter what. [spoiler]I also thought her death scene was one of the most powerful moments in the manga[/spoiler].

Also, what's wrong with truly evil villians? THEY'RE EVIL. Why should we feel sorry for them? Not all villians need a sad backstory. Just imagine how much Sleeping Beauty would suck if Maleficent had a sad backstory.

Maleficent: I'm sorry Aurora. I'm only evil because everyone makes fun of my horns!
Aurora: Oh, okay. MOON HEALING ESCALATION.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:39 am

Umino wrote:I think that way about the sub-villains (Witches 5, etc.) but I thought the main villains were more interesting in the manga.

Queen Beryl had a very interesting backstory in the manga. But in the anime, she's just there and working for Metallia.

I loved how evil Demand was in the manga. He was heartless, and completely insane.[spoiler] Killing his own brother, trying to erase all existance -- woah![/spoiler] Manga Tomoe was more-or-less the same.
How is Nehelenia tragic? She saw her ugly future, and took it out on everybody else. I don't care what Sailor Stars tries to make her look like. Nehelenia was selfish. Anyone who turns people into zombies just to stay beautiful is a selfish bitch. Though I will agree with you, I thought Nehelenia was handled better in the anime (ignoring Stars).

And finally, Galaxia was a 1000x more interesting in the manga. She was a complete badass, who ultimately wanted to make something of herself no matter what. [spoiler]I also thought her death scene was one of the most powerful moments in the manga[/spoiler].

Also, what's wrong with truly evil villians? THEY'RE EVIL. Why should we feel sorry for them? Not all villians need a sad backstory. Just imagine how much Sleeping Beauty would suck if Maleficent had a sad backstory.

Maleficent: I'm sorry Aurora. I'm only evil because everyone makes fun of my horns!
Aurora: Oh, okay. MOON HEALING ESCALATION.
I agree with pretty much all of this, and had to LMAO at the end of your post. XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:15 am

Umino wrote:

I agree nothing wrong with villains being evil just because the could be. Which is why I hold Nehelania in such high regard in SuperS. And yes why do you think Maleficent is considered the greatest Disney villain of all time because she's just pure evil.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:03 pm

HighC
And yes why do you think Maleficent is considered the greatest Disney villain of all time
Because she mercifully didn't break out into some campy song and dance about how she was going to get Aurora, or how King Stefan totally shafted her on the party invitation?

Sure the minions got shafted on the development, but, like it's been said before, that because the manga didn't have time for a couple hundred filler episodes.

What I did find interesting about the main villians in the manga was how they ended up all being connected at the end. I also like how they'd be referenced later in the manga even after their story arc was done. With the exception of Nehelenia's story carrying over into Stars, it's like they were all forgotten.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 pm

peachvampiress wrote:
What I did find interesting about the main villians in the manga was how they ended up all being connected at the end. I also like how they'd be referenced later in the manga even after their story arc was done. With the exception of Nehelenia's story carrying over into Stars, it's like they were all forgotten.
That's one thing I always liked about the manga. It made sense that they were all connected somehow, rather than just randomly killing and attacking people seperately.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 am

It also explains why every villian targets Japan.

Maybe DIC was making the anime closer to the manga by having all the villains related to the Negaverse?

supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by supersailorearth » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Umino wrote:It also explains why every villian targets Japan.

Maybe DIC was making the anime closer to the manga by having all the villains related to the Negaverse?
but that would require intelligence

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: The Villains: portrayed better in the anime then the man

Post by Dinozore » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Jermyn wrote:Wiseman is no longer the scary sadistic intelligent monster of the anime who delights in manipulating and corrupting people but a boring "I want revenge and the Silver Crystal!" villain
On the other hand, in the manga he's the entire fucking planet Nemesis.
Umino wrote:Queen Beryl had a very interesting backstory in the manga. But in the anime, she's just there and working for Metallia.
Metallia's just sort of... there in the anime, too. As an amorphous blob in a really ugly aquarium, at that.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot