Takeuchi's Control Over The Anime

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Takeuchi's Control Over The Anime

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Many Sailor Moon fans claim that Takeuchi had little to no control over the anime and that she hated how the anime was handled, but I've never seen any official source for a quote of Takeuchi saying she disapproved of the anime or that she had no control over it. I was re-reading the Sailor Moon manga and I noticed something I hadn't before. In the chapter Rei is introduced in, there is a "Notes from Naoko" section and in it she says that she wrote the anime version of this episode to be different from the manga and asks the readers to see if they can spot the differences. It's from this page here: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/ ... 1-3_19.jpg If this is true then it seems to indicate that Takeuchi had some major involvement in the anime after all and that she seems to actually approve of the liberties the anime takes with the plot. But according to the ending credits of episode 10, the screenplay for this episode was written by Yoshiyuki Tomita. So, which is right here? Did Takeuchi really write the anime version of this episode? I know she wrote the lyrics to some of the theme songs but did she have a larger involvement than that? Was this just a mistranslation or is Mixx lying? Or does Takeuchi have any idea of what she's talking about? And is there any official source where Takeuchi has ever said she disapproved of the anime version or is this just one of those persistent fan rumors that fans have anonymously accepted as truth?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:22 pm

I think it's entirely possible that Takeuchi-sensei did have some say in what happened in the anime, just not overall say in what happened. One of my copies of the manga (the Tokyopop run) has a page at the end of the book where Takeuchi-sensei apparently showed the audience what she had designed the Sailor Soldiers to look like for the anime when it got the green light. And some comments sprinkled throughout the series supposedly from Takeuchi-sensei indicate that she thought some parts of the anime were very well handled, such as in the first season when Mamoru and Usagi are revealed to be Serenity and Endymion, and Mamoru is captured by the Dark Kingdom. One such comment I remember her saying that she cried when she watched it.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Re: Takeuchi's Control Over The Anime

Post by Kameko » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:And is there any official source where Takeuchi has ever said she disapproved of the anime version or is this just one of those persistent fan rumors that fans have anonymously accepted as truth?
I'm going with the second one. In the fifth picture collection she does mention she was shocked at the Starlights gender change. Also, when she appeared at the San Diego Comic Con in 1998, she admitted that the change bothered her. But that's a far cry from saying she hated the anime. People probably took what she has said about the Starlights gender change and made it out to be that she hated the entire package.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Being one of those fans that have said that I had to go make sure I had my source right, now im going strictly by what ive read in my own copy of the manga. I have the Tokyo pop books from a few years ago and in book 10 she does a few top ten lists. Now for those of you that have it on hand its in the back of the book with the other 10 lists but I made a scan of my own book she didnt say she was very upset by it all but she does state that she wishes the anime had been the same as the manga, and she was shocked and had regret for the changes to Sailor Mars but is happy cause the fans didnt seem to mind. Now ive heard that the translation of the books were abit skewwed but its this list when I read it a few years ago that made me feel she did not have much control over the anime as some think she does. I could be wrong but why would they print that if she had control?

Here is the scan of my book:
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:20 pm

jupiter23 wrote:I think it's entirely possible that Takeuchi-sensei did have some say in what happened in the anime, just not overall say in what happened.
I guess that makes sense. CLAMP didn't have total control over the anime adaptations of their series but Nanase Ohkawa still wrote the scripts for some of the episodes of the CCS anime, Mokona Apapa supervised the character designs, and they even drew the character design for the anime-only character, Meiling. But it's still strange that Takeuchi said she wrote the anime version of this episode yet the ending credits say somebody else wrote the screenplay. Couldn't somebody sue her for taking claim over somebody else's work? And if she was upset for the direction that Rei's character took in the anime, why did she write her that way in this episode if she really did write it? Are these Notes From Naoko thing only in the English version? It'd be nice if somebody who knew Japanese could check the original version to see if Mixx didn't just mistranslate this or something because it just seems really odd to me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:32 pm

Are these Notes From Naoko thing only in the English version? It'd be nice if somebody who knew Japanese could check the original version to see if Mixx didn't just mistranslate this or something because it just seems really odd to me.
No, they're there in the original Japanese Manga (the reprints from a few years ago don't have them). I heard that Tokyopop rewrote/messed up those Notes from Naoko, so I'm not sure I would trust those. I heard that it was someone else who was responsible for the changes to Rei (I want to say Kuniko Ikuhara, but I really not sure).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Mine is definately from Mixx/Tokyopop and I did hear that they did some things with the translations. But I also remember from a few years back that Mrs. Takeuchi did an interview where she talked about what kinda say she had and her dislikes in some of the changes. Unfortunately I dont have that I have a brief tidbit on my fansubbed tapes but it only shows a small piece of the beginning credits then fades off. So I am unsure if she really said that or if rabid fans made it up.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 pm

I'm guessing the thing about writing it differently is a mistake in the translation. She probably was saying that that manga act and the corresponding anime episode were just written differently, not necessarily by her (the anime of course). But if that were the case, you'd wonder why she'd bother saying that when there is no manga act that is identical to an episode of the anime anyway. So she may as well have said that about each act.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:42 am

While no episode is identical to the source material, episodes 1 and and 8 did follow the manga accurately for the most part. The majority of the changes to those episodes were just scenes that were added into the anime but the basic plot and characters are still the same. However, with episode 10 Rei's personality is entirely different from the manga and the circumstances of Jadeite's death is different as well, so I can sort of understand why Takeuchi would make a comment about episode 10 being completely different from the manga since it seems to be the point where the anime starts diverging from the manga plot.

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:12 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:While no episode is identical to the source material, episodes 1 and and 8 did follow the manga accurately for the most part. The majority of the changes to those episodes were just scenes that were added into the anime but the basic plot and characters are still the same. However, with episode 10 Rei's personality is entirely different from the manga and the circumstances of Jadeite's death is different as well, so I can sort of understand why Takeuchi would make a comment about episode 10 being completely different from the manga since it seems to be the point where the anime starts diverging from the manga plot.
Yeah I see you're point. Especially with Jupiter's entrance into the story. The first half of that act had some similarities but then it all just changes. And, like you said, from that point on the anime diverges from the manga, only keeping the significant parts and plot development. Although it still does have other similarities, like the battle at the Starlight Tower and the battle at Tokyo Tower.