Things You Liked About The Anime Better Than The Manga

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Things You Liked About The Anime Better Than The Manga

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm

I know a lot of fans like the manga more than the anime and I personally enjoy both equally but there are actually some changes in the anime I admit I liked more than the manga. I thought the anime was better at conveying emotion than the manga. The manga had its moments, but it didn't make me cry quite like episode 45 and 46 did with the deaths of the Sailor Soldiers. The scene where Rei dies in Usagi's arms in Sailor Stars always gets to me too and I always get teary eyed when Usagi confesses to Rei that she hasn't been getting any letters from Mamoru from the start. I liked how the anime changed it so that Uranus and Neptune searched for the talismans and were willing to sacrifice anyone for their mission only to discover they were the holders themselves. I just thought that was a really interesting plot twist and it made me really feel for them when Haruka was willing to kill herself for the talisman's sake.

I also like how the anime was a lot funnier. The manga had some occasional funny scenes but nothing really laugh out loud funny and to be honest, it was the comedy I enjoyed about Sailor Stars the most. The episode where Usagi follows Chibi-Chibi around thinking she's going to a world of sweets is still the most hilarious thing ever. I love it when one of the students gives Usagi a love letter and everyone thinks it's for her but it turns out to be for Yaten, and Ami actually comments that she thought Usagi was that type of girl and everyone looks shocked at Ami. Ami being a closeted fan of the Three Lights was cute and funny, too. I just thought the manga version took itself too seriously a lot of the time. I also thought the anime did a better job of fleshing out Chibi-usa and Hotaru's friendship whereas the manga seemed to focus more on the fighting and battles. I personally think Fisheye makes a better crossdresser than Hawkseye, too. I don't know why but I just think Fisheye always had better fashion sense. These are just a few things I liked about the anime better, but what things did you think the anime handled better than the manga?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:13 am

As you said, Cardcaptor Takato, the humor is my favorite part of the anime, and one of the major reasons I like it better than the manga. It's one of the reasons I actually like the filler episodes, since they're usually pretty funny. I usually prefer humor to drama anyway.

One thing that I like even more about the anime is that it is easier to imagine Chibi-Usa as REALLY just being 6 or so when she first appears instead of 902. That, to me, just brings up a lot of weird questions, the same with all the other aspects of people having extra-long lives in the manga Crystal Tokyo. For example, how does schooling work? Do kids mentally stay a certain age longer and so do the schools just keep reminding them of the same things over and over again? Using Chibi-Usa, if she has stayed in the body of a 6-year old for that long, has she been in the same grade of school for that long? Does that mean she's really bored with learning the same stuff over and over again or are they teaching her new things? If she's still stuck in one grade, does this mean the extra-long lives make kids extra-forgetful too so they can stay in school longer? Or do Crystal Tokyo schools just, say, meet once a week so that the schooling itself takes longer? Does time pass extra-slowly there so people don't get bored? Does anyone in Crystal Tokyo ever just get sick of living so long and kill themselves? Since people live so long, do they have lots of babies in their lifetimes and does that mean the world is REALLY overcrowded since people can't die?

The anime, on the other hand, doesn't go into that issue and so if you take it at face value, the people of Crystal Tokyo (and the Senshi) have aged normally. But then, maybe I'm weird since I can understand the whole suspended animation in the Deep Freeze better than I can understand the "never-aging" thing.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:36 pm

I like the anime much better period, but anyway... I think the early parts of the anime have much better pacing. I strongly prefer there being a healthy amount of time for Usagi to develop her character and personality by herself than for Sailor Moon to be awakened one chapter and Sailor Mercury the next. Take some time to stop and smell the roses, or something.

Ravynsoul90
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Ravynsoul90 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:05 am

i'm the opposite, i thought the anime was too slow, but it did have its fun points..

1 - Humor was better
2 - Emotional scenes were pretty emotional
3 - Bad guys lasted longer
4 - development of Usagi
5 - battles :)

But just because i'm a rebel i'm gunna list 5 "manga better than anime" reasons

1 - The story lines
2 - SMoon wasnt the only one who can kill
3 - Character Development
4 - Faster pace
5 - battles :)

They're both great in their own ways, but neither of them are perfect! :oops:
So Sorry, Usagi-chan! We will take your energy after the wedding as your Wedding Gift to us okay? :D - Kuroki Mio(PGSM)

Must... Kill... BILL!!!!

Move your goddamn big toe..

"What a time we live in, anger, intolerence, famine, terrorism.. Just imagin what its gunna be like for your grandchildren"
- My English Teacher O.O

kaolinite
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by kaolinite » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:23 am

Almost everything, I'm not such a big fan of the manga.
Maybe that's also because I saw the anime before I read the manga, I don't know.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:31 am

I like how the anime's humor and the emotional parts (such as when the Senshi die in Episode 45, Haruka and Michiru dying, 6 part Stars finale). I also like how in the R season the lives of the Ayakashi sisters are spared, not like in the manga they're killed off like that. I like both (anime and manga) equally. I do like the manga a lot but just wished that it had a slightly better translation and I hope one day it might be rereleased into a better translation.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 am

I preferred the Amazon Trio living in the anime to them dying and I also think emotion is much better in the anime because it has music to accompany it.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree with Dr. Casey about the pacing of the anime. Especially when someone like Usagi suddenly becomes a superhero with such an amazing destiny, it definitely would take time to get used to the concept and to mature as she gradually accepts her destiny. And of course I love the humor in the anime. Plus, it has music. Oh and you can't forget the the wonderfully amazing transformation/attack sequences!

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:12 pm

The only thing I like from the anime better than the manga is the music. Depending on what situation SM is facing the music just blends in with it.
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 pm

-the Usagi/Rei relationship,
-the villains have personalities,
(for example, I was very disappointed that the Naru/Nephrite and Zoisite/Kunzite story isn't in the manga. The manga generals all share the same personality or lack thereof. BORING)
-they get many things wrong, but when they get a scene right, it's just SO right. The manga never annoyed me like the anime did, but on the opther hand, it also never made me cry like the anime did. The senshi death scene in episode 45 is still THE one unforgettable moment in the series. :cry:

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 pm

Even though I generally like the pacing of the manga better, I sometimes think that it was too fast. The backstories for all the villains in the anime I thought was brilliant (though I wish Queen Beryl's backstory would have been included in the anime; it only appeared in the manga).

My favorite villains are Saphir and Nephrite and both of them got really good backstories that were never fleshed out in the manga, ever. Zoicite isn't anything special at all either, just another villain, whereas in the anime he's seen as a coward who submits to Kunzite's every will (and he doesn't even love him, go figure). While he's still my least favorite general regardless at least he had a personality, which is always a plus no matter what it is.

Also the Stars manga felt a bit tangled in its own plot... the anime had it more spread-out and not nearly as confusing. It's also one of those parts that was too rushed; I felt it should have had more than 3 volumes so that it could be spread out more and clearer. Though I did love that Princess Kakyu had a much more important role than in the anime; "Look I've finally come! Half an episode later I'm dead and I come back to life in the final episode!" as opposed to the manga; "I come about a third into the series, travel with the Sailor Starlights and Sailor Moon, face many dangers together and when the Starlights die I take on my Sailor form, kick ass, and die." Lol SO much more useful.

The manga does sometimes suck out all the emotion. There were a couple times I almost cried, but there were probably about 20 times in the anime where I almost cried (Saphir dying, Nephrite dying, Ali screaming because En is dying, Pegasus disappearing before Chibi-Usa's eyes when she's a grown-up, Uranus screaming for Neptune when she gets shot, Uranus screaming in general, Usagi screaming "Crisis Make-Up" but it keeps not working... I could go on and on and on...)
*~SailorStarfire07~*

"Robin, who is this girl? And why does she call you, ''''poo?''''"
~Starfire, Teen Titans

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:25 am

I'll do both

Things I liked in the anime better

1.The Senshi's death both in Classic and Sailor Stars were handled better in the anime in terms of emotional scale.

2.I liked how in Classic, Princess Serenity and the ghost of the inner senshi combined their powers to defeat Metallia rather than just Sailor Moon by herself as in the manga

3. I liked the way Michiru and Haruka's relationship was portrayed in the anime better at least in S. You could tell they were really in love. In the infinity arc they just seem like their dating you don't see how serious they are until the Dream Arc where they have their family with Hotaru

4.Sailor Venus's entrance was more grand than it was in the manga

Things I like in the manga better

1.Better character development (especially for Usagi)

2.The other Senshi get to kill enemies

3.Aside from the Amazoness Quartet none of the enemies reform and pretty much all of them are killed

4.Faster paced, so no filler

5. The inner senshi aren't all boy crazy like in the anime. Just Minako really and Makato to a certain extent

6.Mamoru isn't a douchebag (though he does suffer from Edward Cullen syndrome in other words being created to be the author's ideal boyfriend wishfulfillment)

7. The Mamoru and Usagi relationship is better developed. It wasn't like in the anime where they were like we were loves in a past life so we to be in love now!

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:59 pm

I havent read all the manga(only all of the infinity arc, all of classic, a tiny bit of R and a tiny bit of the dream arc), so I dont have much to compare. From what Ive read, there are things that I liked so much better in the anime than in the manga.

1. Haruka and Michiru's personalities and how they appeared to be in love more in the anime than in the manga. (They seemed pretty mean to me in the manga, I like them much more in the anime since they dont to be as cold)

2. How the talismans were hunted for rather than being there all along.

3. Background music and emotional intensity of scenes(not that the manga didnt have any, it just more intense with voice actors and music to go along with the scene).

4. Villians Villians Villians. From what I read compared to the anime, the anime potrays the villians much better. I like how in the anime you can sympathize with them more and they dont always seem that bad. And they get more screen time than they do in the manga.

5. Henshin scenes! I know they would be hard to draw in a manga but they are so cool to watch(not that Im a perv or anything I just like how they kinda resemble a dance or rythmic gymnastics routine).

6. More comical moments in the anime.

7. Lastly, I like the character's personalities better in the anime, they seem much cuter.