DIC music vs. Original music

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailor Rose
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailor Rose » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:07 am

I know Ive already posted, but anyway. Some of the songs i thought didn't fit in, but then alot did.
My only love, was dont very well kudos to DIC, same with Carry on. Power of love, i liked but it wasn't great, i also despised that they used it in the cut version on the R movie, i was like, this has been used!!!" so anyway i now have the cur versions of S and super S and all the movies are uncut aswell hehe

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:17 am

"My Only Love" or "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" (Silver Crystal)?

My Only Love is the song in the episode (English dub) when Serena is revealed as the Moon Princess. Maboroshi no Ginzuishou is played in the original episode. I use to love My Only Love but when I watched the original Japanese episode I really really loved Maboroshi no Ginzuishou and it sounds and fits the scenes much better than My Only Love. Also the situation is suppose to be about the Silver Crystal and it sounds more logical with Maboroshi no Ginzuishou then My Only Love. I think Maboroshi no Ginzuishou sounds more romantic, sad and poignant. Just listen to the music, read the lyrics of the song (subtitled) and the other voices that plays throughout the song. Very beautiful! :)

Here is a link to hear this original & beautiful song (just scroll down once you get on the page and you'll find it):

http://www.mysticalsenshi.com/mp3s1.php

Which one do you guys prefer?
Current Sailor Moon Season watched: Re-watching Sailor Moon Classic
Episode 15: "Usagi is Frantic! Rei''s First Date"

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

i love the original music it rocks, though i must say the dic music of sailor moons transformations is pretty cute
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:29 am

I definetely prefer the original music over the dub. I liked a few of the dub songs but overall, the original music is much better. It sets the mood better and seems more mature which I don't really find with the American version of the show.

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:52 pm

*Eternal Moon* wrote:I definetely prefer the original music over the dub. I liked a few of the dub songs but overall, the original music is much better. It sets the mood better and seems more mature which I don't really find with the American version of the show.
I agree with you Eternal Moon! The music in the original does set the mood and it does seem more mature. Since I saw the Sailor Moon S and SuperS dubs I love how they kept the original music and when I saw the original Japanese episodes, I love S & SuperS even better but when I saw the first season, it was more refreshing to hear the music since the first season in the dub were all changed.
Current Sailor Moon Season watched: Re-watching Sailor Moon Classic
Episode 15: "Usagi is Frantic! Rei''s First Date"

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:34 pm

I don't know if a lot of people realize it but music REALLY does make a difference in a show and even movies. To me, it seems like the music can pull just as many emotions out of you as the actual words and scenes can. I realized this yesterday when my mom was watching When A Strangers Calls and I didn't even glance at the screen but the music frightened me. I didn't even have to see what was happening to be scared. Now that's how you know the music is powerful.

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:45 pm

I watched the subs for a few episodes I had seen dubs for awhile ago, just to see if it really was different.

O_o Holy fruitcakes, the music alone made a huge difference. It was kind of overwhelming.

Original music > DiC music. Original music was actually believable as they used real instruments to do the pieces and there was EMOTION. DiC just whipped out one of those keyboards and started abusing the synthesizer to see what they could come up with, then made variations because it really all does sound alike.

"Don''t let the cave-in get you down
Don''t let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown...Sokka"
- Minstrel "Avatar: The Last Avatar"

Now you see me <_< Now you don''t

corza-chan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by corza-chan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:58 am

SailorMoonFan wrote:"My Only Love" or "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" (Silver Crystal)?

My Only Love is the song in the episode (English dub) when Serena is revealed as the Moon Princess. Maboroshi no Ginzuishou is played in the original episode. I use to love My Only Love but when I watched the original Japanese episode I really really loved Maboroshi no Ginzuishou and it sounds and fits the scenes much better than My Only Love. Also the situation is suppose to be about the Silver Crystal and it sounds more logical with Maboroshi no Ginzuishou then My Only Love. I think Maboroshi no Ginzuishou sounds more romantic, sad and poignant. Just listen to the music, read the lyrics of the song (subtitled) and the other voices that plays throughout the song. Very beautiful! :)
Okay... when it comes to which I like better... I'm going to have to say "My Only Love". No offence that you preferred "Phantom Silver Crystal" (Maboroshi no Ginzuishou). After seeing the dubbed version and falling in love with "My Only Love", I was hoping the original version would have a really great song for this really intense scene. Sadly, I was let down by "Phantom Silver Crystal"... The music just felt wrong, and even though the title of the song was more appropriate for the scene... Tuxedo Mask had just died and Sailor Moon was in tears... The Silver Crystal was being formed and "My Only Love" just seemed to have great emotional lyrics for the 2 lovers and powerful music for the revealing of both the Moon Princess and Silver Crystal.

I understand that everyone is open to their own opinion, but instead of just saying I liked the dub song more, I prefer to go into detail for the reasons why. I think out of all the Japanese songs played throughout the entire Sailor Moon series, "Phantom Silver Crystal" sadly happens to be the most unliked for me, in other words... it is usually skipped in my Winamp playlist.
Check out my Sailor Moon Universe:
http://www.sailormoon-universe.com

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 pm

I love the original music Soo much. It really has a lot of emotion and it sounds really amazing. The DiC music i kinda like because I grew up watching the dub. Now I watch the japanese version and I love sailor moon even more b/c of the amazing music!!! w00t go sailor moon

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:29 pm

The japenese music is so much better. The Dic music is to bland and repetitive. And it really surprises me when ever I hear people say the Dic music was better. I think the Dic music was okay on it's own but it doesn't hold a candle to the original. As for the transformation music when Dic was in charge all the music was the same! Right now I'm watching Sailor Moon R the movie subbed and I gotta say Mar's star power theme is so catchy. Sera Maws Sera maws Maws Sera Maws. And in regards to insert songs. Well Carry On was pretty cool as corny as the lyrics were. My only love is a good song but like a lot of times Dic had an insert song it just seemed like product placement for their Sailor Moon CD. The song that plays originally Maboroshi no Ginzuishou was nice and subtle. Just gave the scene a nice touch.

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Chase Man! » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Do I even HAVE to tell you my opinion?

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Chase Man! wrote:...

...that's the point of the whole topic. There is no sense in posting if you don't share your opinion.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Uh oh...

Post by Chase Man! » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
Chase Man! wrote:...

...that's the point of the whole topic. There is no sense in posting if you don't share your opinion.

Very well...

First off, the dub music. Pretty much the problem with the dub music is three things...

1. It's the same "DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA" over and over again.

2. It's like they didn't even try to distinguished itself from other cartoons. It's like they had a synthesizer and thought that was enough. Nope, it doesn't. And besides, synthesizer CAN produce good music, but again, they didn't give two craps about what the instrument could really do and thought the bland trupments it made was enough.

3. SILENCE IS GOLDEN DiC! USE IT!

4. "Heart and soul, I fell in love with you..." Then where was it?

And a bonus...

5. Just because it was the 90's didn't mean using a Orchestra would make the kids go deaf.

As for the songs? Hey, it was the 90's, what did you have in mind for a final battle?

As for the orginal, it was pretty much part of the show. As Dan (or was it Bob?) once said, the music ws 33 percent of the show, and if you removed it, part of the heart and soul of the show dies. I mean, dialogue isn't enough to carry the scene, and being memorable certainly helps. Besides, it works when you randomly hum some of the music here and there!

And the songs? Same deal. For instance, do you think the final battle from episode 200 would still work without the "Sailor Star Song"?

There, I rest my case... (hope I didn't pissed anyone :) )

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Regarding music with lyrics I still think the original owns Dic in this too.

Mabaroshi no Ginzuishou (sp?) fits much better than My Only Love. And while My only love was like ISN'T THIS SO SAD OH MY GOD HOW SAD?!. Mabaroshi no Ginzuishou was very bitter sweet and the first bit of the music (before the words start) was very sad in my opinion.

Carry On had a cool guitar solo but the lyrics were pretty damn cheesy. Sure Moon Light Densetu (again sp?) isn't a good battle song but I think it was very fitting to use the show's opening for the final battle.

SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 pm

I chose original music any day. The dub music isnt bad, but I am very fond of the original.