DIC music vs. Original music

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

DIC music vs. Original music

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:55 pm

I hope this isn't a crazy question but I want to know what everyone thinks of the music that DIC made compared to the music of the original Japanese version.

DIC dubbed 2 seasons of Sailor Moon and in my opinion the music is very very repetitive and even Sailor Moon's transformation music is the same, even though in Sailor Moon R (the first arc) she receives a new transformation sequence and a new broach. In the SM movies (R, S, SuperS) the music is also repetitive but a few snippets of the original music come out now and then. Even Sailor Uranus & Neptune's beautiful transformation music in the Sailor Moon S movie is gone and replaced by music that isn't memorable.

In the original SM episodes, the music is beautiful including the Sailor Soldier's transformation music. To me it's just more memorable and creates more emotion then the DIC music does. Even in the 3 SM movies, mostly SMS, the music just sounds more "cinamatic" if you get my meaning then the dubbed music in that film.

Overall I prefer the original music.

Pharoah#9
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Pharoah#9 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Definately the original music! You'd get sick and tired of hearing a variation of the main theme every two minutes. The other music that isn't a variation of the main theme is quite boring as well. Just as well Cloverway took over and kept in the original music.
Join me, and together we will destroy the sith! - Count Dooku
I''m the Jedi Master with a lightsabre, Obi-Wan Kenobi! And in the name of the Jedi, I'll punish you! Wait a minute, that's not how the line goes! - Obi-Wan
We''re not filming Star Wars, we''re filming Sailor Moon! - Director
How come we hired Star Wars characters then? Now we have to shut down the whole movie project!
Yeah, yeah, whatever! - Director

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:02 pm

For one thing, I;m listening to the origional music right now, and its wayyyy better than the DiC version, as it sounds messed up, and made too many different variations of it
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:05 pm

Most of the DiC music makes me shudder. It all sounds synthesized and repetitive. There are hardly any instrumentals to anything, whereas the original background music is always orchestrated and fit to set the mood.

As for the vocal songs...while some of DiC's vocal songs may have fit the scene, 9 times out of 10 I still prefer the originals, simply becuase I prefer the original show as a WHOLE.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Probably the only DIC music that is my favorite is in the episode in Sailor Moon R (dub version) called "Final Battle" and it's when Rini meets her mother (Neo-Queen Serenity) in Crystal Tokyo. I like the dub music and the original music when it plays during that scene.

Just the other day I was watching one of the Sailor Moon R (first arc with Ali/En) episode called "Who is the White Rose For? The Moonlight Knight Appears"--the dub version is called "A Knight to Remember" and you know that in the dub a song called "Rainy Day Men" plays. I prefer the original music when it plays during the scene then Rainy Day Men. The original music during that scene sounds more beautiful and instrumental.

The Sailor Uranus & Neptune transformation music is one of the most beautiful music heard throughout the series--especially in the S season.

And don't forget the music heard in Sailor Stars--if DIC created their own music for Stars, the music would still be the same from the 1st season!

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks to YouTube I have been watching some episodes from the DiC days, and I never realized until now how excessive some of the repetition of the music was. For example, I just watched the "Final Battle" episode, and this sort of heavy, slow, dramatic version of the theme song is played about a billion times - when Rini is evil, when Rini is good again, when they defeat the Doom Phantom, when Rini goes back to the future... and there's probably more.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:59 pm

I can't stand the Dic dub music, either. Not only do I hate it for being repeative, but I hate how Dic doesn't understand the importance of silence. In the Japanese version, there were moments of silence used in the more dramatic moments, like when Zoicite stabbed Tuxedo Mask in the episode where the Moon Princess' identity is revealed. Dic just has endless music playing throughout the whole episode and ruins part of the supsense by having this loud, dull, generic, Saturday morning cartoonish music playing the entire time. What I don't understand is why they had to change it. Wouldn't it have cost them less money and make the dubbing faster if they had kept the original music? The only Dic dub BGM track that I enjoyed more than the original was Serena's transformation music that was played in the first episode. I loved that music a lot and I thought it was much more catchier and suited the scene more with its more upbeat tune than the Japanese BGM track, but then Dic went and replaced that really nice track in episode two with this boring track that they constantly used for the rest of the seasons they dubbed.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I can't stand the Dic dub music, either. Not only do I hate it for being repeative, but I hate how Dic doesn't understand the importance of silence. In the Japanese version, there were moments of silence used in the more dramatic moments, like when Zoicite stabbed Tuxedo Mask in the episode where the Moon Princess' identity is revealed. Dic just has endless music playing throughout the whole episode and ruins part of the supsense by having this loud, dull, generic, Saturday morning cartoonish music playing the entire time. What I don't understand is why they had to change it. Wouldn't it have cost them less money and make the dubbing faster if they had kept the original music? The only Dic dub BGM track that I enjoyed more than the original was Serena's transformation music that was played in the first episode. I loved that music a lot and I thought it was much more catchier and suited the scene more with its more upbeat tune than the Japanese BGM track, but then Dic went and replaced that really nice track in episode two with this boring track that they constantly used for the rest of the seasons they dubbed.

Thank you Cardcaptor Takato for mentioning about how DIC doesn't understand how to keep a scene silent. I agree with you 100% on that. Not only does DIC use background music for scenes that were suppose to be silent in the original Japanese episode BUT also for scenes in which a character did not speak at all in the original, they add more dialogue then was intended. The DIC BGM track of Serena's transformation in the first episode was good but I much prefer the Japanese BGM track of her transformation. The original BGM transformation track seems more catchier, upbeat, and has that exciting feel to it.

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:15 pm

I;m listening to some of the japanese episodes, and the DiC ones, and its true, they covered up some of the more serious moments with some silly background music, or calm mood music
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

nobucho
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by nobucho » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Why did DIC even bother changing the background music??

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:02 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I can't stand the Dic dub music, either. Not only do I hate it for being repeative, but I hate how Dic doesn't understand the importance of silence. In the Japanese version, there were moments of silence used in the more dramatic moments, like when Zoicite stabbed Tuxedo Mask in the episode where the Moon Princess' identity is revealed. Dic just has endless music playing throughout the whole episode and ruins part of the supsense by having this loud, dull, generic, Saturday morning cartoonish music playing the entire time. What I don't understand is why they had to change it. Wouldn't it have cost them less money and make the dubbing faster if they had kept the original music? The only Dic dub BGM track that I enjoyed more than the original was Serena's transformation music that was played in the first episode. I loved that music a lot and I thought it was much more catchier and suited the scene more with its more upbeat tune than the Japanese BGM track, but then Dic went and replaced that really nice track in episode two with this boring track that they constantly used for the rest of the seasons they dubbed.

Thank you Cardcaptor Takato for mentioning about how DIC doesn't understand how to keep a scene silent. I agree with you 100% on that. Not only does DIC use background music for scenes that were suppose to be silent in the original Japanese episode BUT also for scenes in which a character did not speak at all in the original, they add more dialogue then was intended. The DIC BGM track of Serena's transformation in the first episode was good but I much prefer the Japanese BGM track of her transformation. The original BGM transformation track seems more catchier, upbeat, and has that exciting feel to it.
This is another thing that bothered me. It's like they were afraid that if kids didn't have constant auditory stimulation, they would change the channel. Come to think of it, maybe all the lightning and scene-changer effects had something to do with this too :idea: .
nobucho wrote:Why did DIC even bother changing the background music??
Sailor Moon was one of the first dubbed anime to be shown on American television (don't throw things at me, I know there were lots of predecessors, but you know what I mean), and at the time companies wanted to Americanize the shows so that, in theory, they would be received more readily by American children. Changing the music was really the worst thing DiC did, in my opinion, which is why I feel much more merciful towards the CWI dub.

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:04 pm

But look how far we've come!

Yah, I don't think anyone actually likes the DiC music better... there's just no good reason to. The only song I think I remotely liked was My Only Love and now it just sounds so... corny?

(I liked Carry On to... but I didn't know it was a Sailor Moon song for the longest time...)

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Yeah those scene changers that you mentioned Jeff was also what I was thinking about too. Actually I don't really like them very much and when Cloverway took over they continued with the scene changers. But I give Cloverway credit for keeping the original music but there were some scenes in which there was silence in which a character didn't speak at all and in the dub they add a voice in ruining what was originally intended. Also when Sailor Moon S & SS first aired, Cloverway wasn't even finished with all of the episodes but the ones that were completed were aired. I think Cloverway should have waited until they completed all of the episodes but it was Cartoon Network's fault because they wanted to put it on on a specific date. That's probably why S & SS has so much inconsistencies (mostly notably Sailor Moon S)

Hey Panda, I think the only SM song that DIC made was "Power of Love" and it's way better then "My Only Love". That song was good at the time but now when I listen to it it does sound a little corny.
Last edited by SailorMoonFan on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:04 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:Yeah those scene changers that you mentioned Jeff was also what I was thinking about too. Actually I don't really like them very much and when Cloverway took over they continued with the scene changers. But I give Cloverway credit for keeping the original music but there were some scenes in which there was silence in which a character didn't speak at all and in the dub they add a voice in ruining what was originally intended. Also when Sailor Moon S & SS first aired, Cloverway wasn't even finished with all of the episodes but the ones that were completed were aired. I think Cloverway should have waited until they completed all of the episodes but it was Cartoon Network's fault because they wanted to put it on on a specific date. That's probably why S & SS has so much inconsistencies (mostly notably Sailor Moon S)

Hey Panda, I think the only SM song that DIC made was "Power of Love" and it's way better then "My Only Love". That song was good at the time but now when I listen to it it does sound a little corny.

Also what are some of your favorite SM original music? Here are some of my faves:

1) Sailor Stars Opening Theme Song
2) Moonlight Densetsu
3) Nagareboshi he
4) Tuxedo Mirage
5) Moonlight Destiny
6) Otome no Policy
7) Kaze mo Sora mo Kitto
8) Heart Moving
9) "Rashiku" Ikimasho
ADMIN MODE:

We already have a "favorite sailor moon songs" thread here in the sailor moon section, so please don't start posting your favoritesh ere. Go there.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I believe that in one dub episode I recently saw on YouTube, DIC replayed the same BGM 3 times in a row. I don't remember the exact episode but I think it was in the Jadeite arc of the 1st Season. Once the song finished they started it over from the beginning, if I remember correctly. It was quite annoying and didn't much care for it at all!

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:26 pm

I'd say that the original BGM is by far better than the DiC BGM. My personal opinion. The BGM DiC created was okay (for exampe I liked Usagi's (Serena's) henshin music a lot), but they ruined the romantic moments of the show by playing a really cheesy BGM (it's also played far too often).

But I guess I have to give DiC (and all the other dubbing companies) credit for the songs, because I love them even if some songs contain cheesy lyrics (like "Carry on" and the theme song).

I like both the original and dub songs. I know that many of you prefer "My Only Love" to "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou", but I couldn't choose between them two, because they both make me feel melancholic. ^^
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:28 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:Hey Panda, I think the only SM song that DIC made was "Power of Love" and it's way better then "My Only Love". That song was good at the time but now when I listen to it it does sound a little corny.

See, I think Power of love is corny as shit... but that's half because I'm in love with the original song (which the name of escapes me right now...)

I think the funniest song I've ever hear was She's Got The Power. It made me laugh so hard when I heard it this year!
Last edited by Panda on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:47 pm

I LOVE "Who do you think you are"! ^^ It's funny and it rocks my socks, OMFG!

When I'm talking about the original, I wouldn't know what my fav song was. Maybe "Ai no Energy o Ubae"

There are way to many to list them all >.<

BTW: I've found a cover of Moonlight Densetsu, sung by Nana Kitade (who also did the ending of FMA) Thought you should know, because it's cool as hell :D
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:11 pm

I prefer the original music. The dub sounds way too cartoonish at times. Although there is one dub track that I love, it plays where Nephrite dies and later when Zoicyte dies. I know it plays more than that but those two stand out to me the most.

Many people don't seem to prefer the dub transformation over the original and I disagree. I really hate how the senshi have all the same music while Sailor Moon gets her own, which sounds waaaaaaaaay to pixie like, if that even makes sense. I liked in the original how each senshi had their own music.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:10 am

I also like in the original the Sailor Senshi all had their own individual transformation music. It makes them all individuals and different which they are. Some SM fans say the Sailor Senshi music sounds kind of disco-ish but I don't agree.