Anime vs Manga vs Sentai Best - Worse version of SAILOR MOON

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

sailor_mask1
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Anime vs Manga vs Sentai Best - Worse version of SAILOR MOON

Post by sailor_mask1 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:28 pm

I do hope that this is new now. Well, for me even though the Manga is the original being created by Naoko-san, and the one that started it all, I still say that Anime is the best version, though it did wandered off the original, I still find it Great! The story still somehow manages to come out fine, it has a lot of heart and a lot of LOVE, each characters got a lot of attitude, and they're ALL SO CUTE especially Chibi-Chibi-chan, don't you just want to take her by your arms and cuddle her. And the humor, man I think SM humor says it all.

The Sentai is probably my worse. Since I personally think they hurried the production of the series, and wandered off as well, the special effects they used are kind'a cheesy, something I would'nt expect from a highly developed country like Japan. and unlike the Anime ver. at least the anime offered much, much more than the sentai has, plus the humor man, that rocks me out. :lol:
the special effects of course being a cartoon is much easier and more smoother. I think they should have put much more time and devotion in making it, there are still lots of improvements to be made in it but whats done is done. Hopefully if they do decide to make another sentai ver. of SM, all the cheesiness and bad points are gone, somehow look kind'a like a hollywood film. But of course I could be asking to much for a TV show. But at least it's a start.

My Final view: SM Anime the best! SM Sentai the worse, needs more improvements.

Sailor Moon, often copied, but never, and I mean NEVER ever Duplicated! :D

"OH MY GOD THEY KILLED KENNY! YOU BASTARD!" -- sTAN & kYLE
"DAMN IT CARTMANN, GET A LIFE! -- kENNY :shock:

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:29 pm

I've read the entire translated manga. I've only seen one complete season of the anime that being Sailor Stars, and only the first episode of the sentia. So I'm not really sure what to say.

Blackat
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Location: The only place where you can find Kangaroos in your backyard.

Re: Anime vs Manga vs Sentai Best - Worse version of SAILOR

Post by Blackat » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:11 pm

sailor_mask1 wrote: the special effects of course being a cartoon is much easier and more smoother. I think they should have put much more time and devotion in making it, there are still lots of improvements to be made in it but whats done is done. Hopefully if they do decide to make another sentai ver. of SM, all the cheesiness and bad points are gone, somehow look kind'a like a hollywood film. But of course I could be asking to much for a TV show. But at least it's a start.
I've got two things to point out here-

1. Sailor Moon (anime) never had a big budget, and they never really could predict how big the series was going to be so they didn't spend alot of money or time on the first series. Gradually, though, SM did get a bigger budget and the animation did get better - SuperS is a good example of that, and so is Stars.

2.PGSM was, in my opinion, intended to be cheesy in the first place. I always thought they were aiming for that "PowerRangers" type show, which is very popular in Japan. I don't think it would've worked in a Hollywood type way, but if someone were to attempt it, I'd be interested in seeing it.

With all that said, I do like both the Anime and PGSM, but I'll always be faithful to the Manga. (If that was the question at all? I didn't really understand.)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Anime vs Manga vs Sentai Best - Worse version of SAILOR

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:33 pm

Blackat wrote:

2.PGSM was, in my opinion, intended to be cheesy in the first place. I always thought they were aiming for that "PowerRangers" type show, which is very popular in Japan. I don't think it would've worked in a Hollywood type way, but if someone were to attempt it, I'd be interested in seeing it.
*Nods* That's the style of that type of show. As you pointed out, Power Rangers was the same way. It's simply a part of japanese television culture. Plus, it's not like PGSM was some highly budgeted show.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:37 am

Actually, PGSM is a tokusatsu series (Japanese live-action). Sentai is a specific genre of tokusatsu series that refers to shows involving color clad super heroes that fight evil monsters with their weapons and giant robots (aka the Japanese version of Power Rangers). Anyway, my favorite version of Sailor Moon is PGSM. I think it followed the manga more accurately than the anime did while at the same time adding in a lot of new interesting plots and characters. I thought the character development was a lot better in PGSM than in the anime. In the anime, I always felt like the show focused too much on Usagi and not enough on the other characters. While I do realize that Usagi is the star of the show and naturally more of the spotlight should be focused on her, at times it felt like Toei forgot that there were other Sailor Soldiers on the show too, but with PGSM everybody got an equal amount of screentime and character development. I also liked how PGSM was less repeative and predictable than the anime. The anime was good too and will always remain a classic in my anime library, but every episode of it was virtually the same. PGSM I felt added more variety to the show. Another thing I liked about PGSM was Usagi and Mamoru's relationship. While I liked them as a couple in the anime too, the anime made it seem like their entire relationship was based on destiny. PGSM made their relationship feel more believeable to me because they started to fall in love with each other before they found out about their past lives. I liked just about everything about PGSM. Call me crazy, but I even liked Sailor Luna. I thought she did a great job of adding comedy relief to the show and she actually helped out in the fight scenes too, and I thought she was a really cute and adorable character.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:16 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Actually, PGSM is a tokusatsu series (Japanese live-action). Sentai is a specific genre of tokusatsu series that refers to shows involving color clad super heroes that fight evil monsters with their weapons and giant robots (aka the Japanese version of Power Rangers).
*Shrugs* Either way, it's still in the style of many Japanese live-action shows. It's not uncommon to see the cheesiness in other shows in Japan.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by the dooky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:54 am

For me, the anime comes out on top, with the live action series as my least favourite. I'll concede that PGSM was extremely well-written, but for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it.

Speaking of Usagi getting too much focus (as the last post but one was), I'd have thought this was a criticism more fitting for the manga. It's partly due to the relative shortness of the manga that Usagi takes a relatively big chunk of the limelight, but it's still quite noticeable for those of us who have grown more used to the anime.

I find the anime to be the longest and richest continiuity of the series... despite some atrocious episodes here and there, the highs more than make up for the lows. It's not without its flaws, but then neither is the manga - which gets downright baffling towards the end. Also, it may well be heresy to say it, but... I actually don't really like Takeuchi's art style. That's not to say she isn't talented, but... it just looks a bit odd to me.

And what, no mention of the musicals? ^_^ Surely the only version of Sailor Moon to feature a kiss between Uranus and Neptune deserves some love...
Amazoness! Because men seldom make passes at girls who routinely kill men.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:09 pm

I have to agree. I prefer the anime overall. I did enjoy the manga, but I can never get into the manga the way I could get into the anime. I enjoy hearing the voices, the music, and seeing the animation. Even though the anime had a lot of added things, I enjoyed it a lot. It was done nicely, and it's definitely one of my very favorites.

PGSM was fun to watch, but it's not high on my list. Hell, I haven't even finished it. ^^; Dan sent me the cds, and I have had ZERO time to watch them. I plan on it, though.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:35 pm

The manga is AMAZING, but I much prefer the anime.
The live-action one I adore BECAUSE of teh cheeze. :P I was a Power Rangers nut...

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:35 pm

Actually, I love all three versions of them. ^^ The anime slightly more than the rest!
I found the manga to be incredibly welldrawn and romantic. Same goes with PGSM, even if it's sometimes really cheesy. You just gotta love those scouts... the heck, everyone in the whole Sailor Moon universe! XD

jam-chan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by jam-chan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm

I've always preferred the anime for the humor, good (well...most of it) music, and some of the anime-only characters that got added into the plotline *coughcough*URAWA*coughcough*. The manga never impressed me very much, and I have yet to see PGSM...so, yeah. There's my two cents on this matter. =)

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:43 pm

Yeah, I'm with the anime lovers. I didn't find PGSM cheesy though, once it got past the initial dozen or so episodes. The manga on the other hand. . . well, I don't want to create heat, but I don't think Takeuchi is that great an artist. Her inking is far too thin and spindly, many of her frames are drawn from incomprehensible angles, her shadings clutter up the drawings--basically there's just too much clutter in a Takeuchi manga. She's brilliant at creating characters and plots and really making a world that's exciting, but the art just makes it so hard to get through the manga.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:18 pm

I prefer the anime to the manga, mainly because of the humor. I like the manga too, but I think the anime is funnier. I do like Ami in the manga better, though, she seems more confident about her intellect there. I really can't judge PGSM very well since I've only seen a few episodes of it in raw Japanese, but from what I've seen it seemed more like a romantic drama than the mix of humor and drama that I like about the anime Sailor Moon. I think it might also be because I generally prefer animation to live-action anyway, so that probably influences my opinions. Although I might like PGSM better if I saw all of it, too.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:08 pm

I prefer the manga. I just liked how the story seemed more mature and how things that happened in previous arcs were brought up or played a part in later arcs. I also like Usagi's, and a few others like Michiru, Rei and Setsuna, personality more. Although the art in the first two arcs is kind of blahish and many things in the Stars arc confused the Hell out of me.

The anime comes second because it had a lot of good humour and music, although there were things that I didn't like in it.

PGSM is last. I followed it for a while, but after the whole Princess Sailor Moon thing I really didn't feel like following it anymore. I couldn't stand how Minako's character turned out. But I did enjoy the plush Luna and Artemis and Sailor Luna.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by purplefeltangel » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 pm

I've never seen PGSM, but if I had to make a choice between the anime and manga . . . I couldn't.

The manga is definitely much better plot-wise. There is no filler. Everything is story, story, story. This is good! I'm a fan of science fiction and adventure novels, which are also very plotty.

But I'm also a fan of character stories. The manga is a character story, but only for one character -- Usagi. Takeuchi sometimes seems to forget that she has a cast of twenty-odd (not just the soldiers) to take care of. Sure, the other soldiers get their days, but not the way they do in the anime. And the manga villains (especially in SuperS, minus Nehellenia) just aren't as developed.

Also, I think the art in the manga is absolutely horrible. Takeuchi has no concept of anatomy and her art just looks messy. For the manga revival, her art was much better, but it was mostly just because the lines were smooth! I saw a picture of Princess Serenity in her notes with the same smooth lines, and I was like, "ooh, shades of what's to come!" If she had just done smoother lines, her art really could have looked that much better. But as it was, it just wasn't that great.

The filler in the anime bothered me a lot. But I did like that in the anime, you learn more about the supporting characters. Even if, when it comes to the soldiers, most of the attention is on Ami and Hotaru, everyone's personality is a little bit more filled out in the anime, and we have more attention given to them.

I think the anime and manga kind of each have their characters that they focus on and ignore. In the anime, Usagi remains really rather ditzy all the way through Stars, whereas in the manga she gets much more mature but never loses her spark. We learn more about Rei's past in the manga, as well as some of the motivations towards her proud, snobby exterior. Yes, she's sophisticated, but she's also overly dignified -- because she's afraid of what people will do to her once they get too close, and afraid of what she can do to other people. In the anime, Rei is glossed over, while we learn more about Magnificent Wonderful Perfect Submissive Quiet Shy Intelligent Many-Talented Ami (can you tell I don't like her much?) and all the great things she can do, and all the reasons why she's wonderful and everyone should buy her merchandise. The characters carry the story, and the manga and anime both have their faults when it comes to those.

It sounds like I like the anime better, but what really brings back the balance is SuperS and ChibiUsa. Both of these are undeniably better in the manga. SuperS is a much more mature story, and in the manga, doesn't have a huge big gaping ragged black void of a HOLE in continuity! ChibiUsa is also less hyperactive, less bratty, and more like her mother.

So in short, in case you tl;dr'd this: The manga doesn't delve enough into the villains and supporting characters but is much plottier and more mature than the anime, whereas the anime has too much filler but has more developed supporting characters and villains (except, notably, Beryl and Nehellenia) and is a lot funnier.

Incidentally, I think both the anime and the manga could have done without the Starlights and Kakyuu. They were interesting, but they didn't add anything to the story. They weren't crucial to the plot at all, except their own subplot.

Well, I think that's my Ramble Quota for the day all used up. ;) </rant>

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:04 am

I saw the anime first, and that's what made me a fan. But... upon reading the manga that became my favorite by far. I bought every volume of the translated version basically the day of release and got very involved in it. I re-read it many times. Some of the translation changes annoy me (like the stuff that was... DiC-ified, I guess) But still, I love the art, story, atmosphere, everything. I owned every volume of the Tokyopop version and a couple non-translated originals, and if I could have any of my manga collection back, it would definitely be BSSM.

A lot of the repetitiveness and filler of the anime annoys me, along with plot changes and characterization changes. I can't sit through very many episodes of it at once due to the annoying filler-type issues, whereas with the manga I could read a couple books from cover to cover in one sitting since it always engrossed me. Though to be fair, I do like most of the story-centered episodes of the anime a lot, most of the BGM, image songs, seiyuu, etc. And as for the movies, I loved the S movie, hated R (minus the Moon Revenge scene and a couple other moments), and was so-so on SuperS. Not very good odds.

I've never seen the live action version, and I don't really have any desire to I guess. Doesn't interest me much, and I don't think I could really get past the cheese. ^^;
purplefeltangel wrote:while we learn more about Magnificent Wonderful Perfect Submissive Quiet Shy Intelligent Many-Talented Ami (can you tell I don't like her much?)
:lol: :lol: ... I feel exactly the same way as you do about Ami. Ugh. :) *laughs*
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:17 am

Takeuchi has no concept of anatomy
That's actually something I've wondered about. Naoko's art reminds me a lot of the fashion models designers have to draw. I've taken fashion drawing and we were taught to draw the models at nine heads long (the average person is six). The drawings are given long, slender legs, slender torsos, and eleongated fingers, which is how her art turned out a lot. I think she mentioned in her art book notes that she loves looking at fashion magazines, so I wonder if she saw the eleongated drawings and decided to base her style on that.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:44 am

I missed this quote. But I have to say... why does it really matter? It's not necessarily supposed to be realistic proportions, its not true-to-life portraits, its manga. Chibis in anime aren't proprtioned right. It's just a style. Naoko's style has out of proportion stuff too in a different way and I happen to like it and think her works look lovely.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:05 am

Sylphiel wrote:
I missed this quote. But I have to say... why does it really matter? It's not necessarily supposed to be realistic proportions, its not true-to-life portraits, its manga. Chibis in anime aren't proprtioned right. It's just a style. Naoko's style has out of proportion stuff too in a different way and I happen to like it and think her works look lovely.
I would agree. I've always admired Takeuchi as an artist. The manga is by far my favorite because it has more plot in it than the anime or PGSM does.

What really annoyed me about all three BSSM works is that we never learned about Minako. I'm not referring to Codename Sailor V, since I haven't read it yet. I've got a crapload of Japanese manga that I haven't finished reading, including Codename Sailor V.

It was especially bad in PGSM, since we got little to no background information about Minako aside from the fact that she was Sailor V. We never really learned much about her as a person. She never seemed to have a stable home, she always seemed to be living in hotels and the only person she seemed to have was her manager. We never really got to learn anything at ALL about her family life, which was disappointing.

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by purplefeltangel » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:43 am

Sylphiel wrote:
Her portraits are't even realistically proportioned to anime. And I'm not even only referring to her proportions, although they are terrible. I'm also referring to some of the completely impossible and painful-looking poses her characters sometimes make, the way she doesn't know how body parts move, the fact that her heads and jaws are always misshapen, the arms different lengths, etc. As an artist, it definitely matters to me. I can't concentrate on the story half the time because I'm thinking, "geez, the art is so bad!"

That's one thing I like about the anime. Even though the first two seasons are very low-budget, the characters are always at least nicely drawn. The only character who I thought was really poorly-drawn in the anime was adult ChibiUsa from SuperS. Hair doesn't go like that! Why didn't they just do her hair like Black Lady's?!?!