Anime vs Manga vs Sentai Best - Worse version of SAILOR MOON

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:09 am

The anime's animation was hardly consistant. Usagi would go from having short, almost chubby legs, to having rediculously long skinny legs. Especially during Stars. Her legs were way to long for someone who's only 4'9". Another example is Taiki. Apparently she's supposed to be 5'7", but she looks nearly seven feet tall. And the character's eyes were always a dead give away to the inconsitancies.

And personally, I think the manga poses were a lot better than the animes. If you type in 'sailor moon anime' you'll find some very gravity defiy poses (my favorite so far is Yaten's on the Sailor Stars Best Song Collection).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:32 pm

Well, here's my take on this:

Good Points:
Anime - good music, good plot, (occasionally) good animation
Manga - awesome storyline, too bad it wasn't animated directly!
Live - tons of character development, much more so than the anime and manga, angst, drama, lovely costumes

Bad Points:
Anime - Too long and too repetitious, same old formula everyday, (occasionally) bad animation
Manga - a bit confusing at times such as the series finale
Live - cheesiness, bad action scenes, did not cover the Outers?

Anime Opinions:
This was very good. Too bad it did not follow too much of the manga's plot line. If this was animated in today's standards, then hopefully it could've been a lot better. The monster-of-the-day was irritating me a bit and it got old pretty quickly.

Manga Opinions:
I like how the manga delved deeper into the characters and provided more interesting twists such as the whole Princess issue.

PGSM Opinions:
I was really impressed with the live PGSM because it had so much potential with the costumes, the actresses, the drama. If only it was an older show, or even an actual Japanese drama. It made me like each of the characters (especially Ami) a lot more. They did flop a bit for Minako because I do not understand what her problem was. :?

Unfortunately, they have to aim it at kids once again and dumbed it down. I'm very curious to imagine what it could have been without the cheesiness, the bad fight scenes, and maybe using a CGI cat all the way with no puppet.

[spoiler]And no offense, no Sailor Luna.[/spoiler]

Also, it doesn't seem like they are going to add in the Outers' story arc either. I mean, I know that the original story was supposed to be about the Dark Kingdom only and then grew due to popular demand but still, it feels like it's missing something without the Outers. :wink: Maybe they're too violent for a kid's show...?

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:07 am

Also, it doesn't seem like they are going to add in the Outers' story arc either. I mean, I know that the original story was supposed to be about the Dark Kingdom only and then grew due to popular demand but still, it feels like it's missing something without the Outers. Maybe they're too violent for a kid's show...?
If they were too violent for a kids' show, do you think they would have made it into the anime? I know fans like to get defensive, but let's be realistic here: The anime was designed for and marketed to children. Does that mean adults cannot or should not like it? Of course not.

But it IS a kids' show.

Now, to the topic at hand...

I prefer the manga most. I like the way most of the characters are presented more, even if it is a bit static. I actually do like Naoko Takeuchi's art, so that's nice. I think most of the themes are presented better in the manga as well.

Anime comes next. While I love the manga most, almost all my favourite scenes come from the anime. The death of the Inner senshi in the first "season." Haruka and Michiru challenging Usagi's status as the Messiah. Things like that.

PGSM comes last. I tried to get into it. Really, I did. But it was just a bit too camp for my tastes. It isn't that much more than the show, but the show has a nostaligc feel to it. The manga had the feel of "this is the original." But PGSM didn't have any of that, and I just couldn't get past type of show it was.

Besides, the marketing involved in the anime was bad enough. But the senshi were using the same toys Bandai had on the shelf in PGSM. It annoyed me a little.

I haven't seen any of the musicals, so I won't comment on any of those.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:15 am

The musicals!

I haven't seen a lot of them, but from what I have seen, they don't really follow the manga plot at all. They pulled a few bits and pieces from the manga, but it was mostly their own storylines. But that doesn't make the musicals bad. I thought the musicals were really well done and the costumes only got better as they preogressed every year. It is disappointing though, that any member of the musical was only allowed to be in it for a maximum of four years. I didn't like the cast changes.

the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by the dooky » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:20 am

This wasn't the case, surely? I'm certain one of the Harukas was around for at least five years...
Amazoness! Because men seldom make passes at girls who routinely kill men.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:11 am

purplefeltangel wrote:The only character who I thought was really poorly-drawn in the anime was adult ChibiUsa from SuperS. Hair doesn't go like that! Why didn't they just do her hair like Black Lady's?!?!
You forget that Chibiusa also has pink hair. Last I checked, not many young girls sported naturally pink hair.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:57 pm

This was mentioned here, and in the SuperS thread as well, but it fits in with my preference for the anime. Some people like the anime less, or the SuperS season less, because of the filler. But I think the filler is one of the best points of the anime. It helps cast the climaxes in sharper relief. Example: Hotaru and Chibiusa spend 7 episodes becoming friends while Mimete sends the daimons after forgettable one-shot victims. Then at the end when Mistress 9 takes Chibiusa's pure heart, but is overcome by Sailor Saturn who then returns the heart, it's all the more touching because we know what has gone between them. Had they just spent one episode with Chibiusa and Hotaru, it wouldn't have had the emotional effect.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:59 am

The anime. I liked how much more developed the villians were in the anime, and some of them (Beryl's generals, the Amazon Trio) are some of my favorite anime villians. I also liked the Japanese voice acting a lot (except for Tomozawa Michie's Hino Rei), and I thought the art was clean and very pleasing to the eye, inconsistent as it was.

Manga comes second. I liked how the Outer Senshi are more fleshed out, and the Infinity arc is loads better than S, but otherwise I never really cared for it. I greatly dislike Takeuchi's artwork, and color pictures aside, I thought most of the manga looked mediocre until the final arc or so.

Last comes Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. It was an interesting idea, but it's too cheesy and formulatic to be more than a novelty, and I don't consider it Sailor Moon at all. Sailor Luna was annoying as well.

Takanori-chan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Takanori-chan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:35 am

I like all three (anime, manga PGSM), but still haven't finished the end of the star arc in the manga (so can't say much about the ending yet)

I hate to say it but none of the three really have much character development. The characters are unrealistic and unbelievable (however great they may be at times) and always come second to the plot.

The manga moves the fastest with very little filler, the story flows nicely and the villains die quickly. However the arcs always end poorly. There is a lot of build up and then the story falls flat.

The anime has too much filler but the background music and visuals always make up for it. The arcs have much more interesting endings but some of the seasons still fall flat at the end (R,S).

PGSM took me a while to warm up to, I thought that I would hate it (and there are things I don't like - sailor luna, over-costumed villains, most of the j-pop - although some of it grew on me) but the thing that kept me interested was the actors. The format did add an element of realism that can only be attained with live actors. There is a bit more depth of character here (although still sterotyped) and most of them are extremely likable - especially the sailor guardians.

Overall I would have to say that the manga has the most interesting and mature story, even though the covers are somewhat embarrasing for a 24 year old male to have (i'm talking about the newer japanese ones). But I don't want to say that it is better; just that it is the place where all of it started and probably the format that will have the most longevity.
:shock:

hyacinthus
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by hyacinthus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:08 am

From least favorite to favorite:

3. Anime
2. Manga
1. Live-action

I was skeptical when the live-action show was announced, but I was thrilled after seeing the first episode. The show just got better as it went along, and it surpassed every expectation I had.

I would have loved the live-action series to continue, but it had really already used plot elements from every Sailor Moon series. Perhaps that is why I like it so much; everything I love about Sailor Moon was condensed into a 49-episode package. It improved on many things that were minus-points for the anime and manga: more drawn out than the manga, but less "filler" material than the anime; Ami is given a soul; no Starlights/Pegasus/creepy black-haired girls; and MIO!

I hated the whole "Protect the Princess!" thing that plagued the manga and some of the anime, so I was pleased that PGSM turned this idea into a conflict, and that Usagi actually gets pissed now and then (well, okay, REALLY pissed). The way she acts in SuperS and Sailor Stars is beyond normal human capacity.

[spoiler]In the anime, whenever Usagi turns into the Princess, she is about to save the world or make a Flashy Heart Moon Vibrator Rod, or something else really nice. I love how this is turned around in PGSM... When you see the Princess coming, it's time to run![/spoiler]

Oh, I forgot, EVERYONE is hot in PGSM. Even Ikuko.

HEAVEN_for_Losers
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by HEAVEN_for_Losers » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:34 am

hyacinthus wrote: [spoiler]In the anime, whenever Usagi turns into the Princess, she is about to save the world or make a Flashy Heart Moon Vibrator Rod, or something else really nice. I love how this is turned around in PGSM... When you see the Princess coming, it's time to run![/spoiler]

Oh, I forgot, EVERYONE is hot in PGSM. Even Ikuko.
I agree with the spoiler and the everyone's hot comment entirely, except for the Ikuko thing. . . I think in PGSM she was on hard drugs.

As I child I would've said the anime rules over all, but as I'm re-watching it, I'm beginning to realise how cheesy it is.

With PGSM, I was captivated from episode one, and began losing sleep to fit more PGSM into one evening (someone uploaded all the episodes to YouTube). All of the bad beginning themes, and little-girlishness of Usagi from the anime, were all gone.

[spoiler]The only thing I found hard to swollow at first, was everyone having their hair not-like their Senshi-selves. It looked kind of funny, but also added a more real value to their non-senshi persona.

The first episodes got right down to buisness, each one revealed a new scout, and some youma. Through later duration, the scouts get stronger at a quick, but realistic rate.[/spoiler]

All and all, I'd have to say PGSM is the best of the three.

michiru_haruka
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

sailor moon or Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon

Post by michiru_haruka » Tue May 23, 2006 10:00 am

which do you like better Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon or sailor moon

STARSCREAM EDIT: I merged this post into an already existing thread regarding which of the versions you like better. michiru_haruka, if you are going to start a topic of discussion, please add to your own discussion first by providing your opinions on the matter. Thank you.

"I am so bored of this fighting.." --Uranus
"Oh? You don''t enjoy the time we spend together?" --Neptune

"I''m not jealous. I just can''t stand the thought of you looking at anyone other than me." -Haruka
"Haruka,That''s called jealousy." -Michiru

"Ouch! You''re hurting me!" -Haruka
"Am I?" -Michiru
"I want you to touch gently" -Haruka
"Later, when we''re alone" -Michiru

"Haruka is....."-Usagi
"..My important partner." -Michiru

"It''s getting cold, don''t you think?" -Haruka
"Do you want me to warm you up?" -Michiru