Sailor Moon Special Edition

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Sailor Moon Special Edition

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:48 am

You know how George Lucas created special editions of Star Wars to make some tweaks to his movies here and there? What if Toei did something similar to Sailor Moon? I'd like to see some of the animation cleaned up a bit. I don't mean like add in lots of flashy CGI or anything, but just for Toei to go back and correct some of the animation errors they made, at least the big, noticeable ones. I'd also like to see them create new animation each time the Soldiers' use their attacks. It's not that I don't like the attacks; it's just it gets a little boring seeing the same old stock footage being used for the Soldiers' attacks. Another thing I'd like to see would be new opening theme songs for seasons two through four. As much as I like Moonlight Densetsu, it gets tiresome after hearing it for the 100th time, and I think I would have liked the song more if Toei had at least changed the opening theme song more than twice in the series. What sort of modifications would you like to see them make to Sailor Moon, if any, if Toei were to create a special edition of it?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

TonyOctober 2.0
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TonyOctober 2.0 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:56 am

I like to do the Special Edition.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:34 pm

Yes, but what would you like to see included on it? That's what he's asking.

I agree on pretty much all of that stuff, especially about changing the opening theme. But I'm going to take that a step further and say they ought to change the ending theme more also. It just doesn't change often enough for my taste the way it is now.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:06 pm

I'd like to see them include some of the old laserdisc omake segments subtitled and included, and maybe some commentary from Takeuchi or the animation directors or even Arisawa the composer. The animation needs to be cleaned and brightened, because every DVD I've seen of it is a little grainy. But I'd prefer they not touch theme songs and such. What would be clever if they could manage to do it would be to only record the OP and ED once on the DVD and have the episodes access them when needed to save space.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:19 pm

Decent audio quality would be nice. Even the original laserdiscs somewhat stumbled in that aspect.

I'd also like to see image remastering, and not feel like I'm watching a show from 1979 (although, for some odd reason, I think the faded colors and dust are part of the Sailor Moon charm).

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Cardcaptor Takato
some tweaks to his movies here and there?
Excuse me. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

But to be serious, I would like to see really enhanced sound and picture. When I'm watching a screaming Daimon get slammed with a pink, heart shaped brick wall I expect my windows to shudder ^_^. The new attack animations would be interesting to (that's why the R movie is one of my favorites). I'm not sure about fixing animation errors, because a lot of the time what they screwed up is funny. I'm not sure if there were any scenes from episodes that were cut for time reasons, but if there were, I'd like to see those restored for DVD. In keeping with Lucas style, I'm not sure if I'd have any dialogue changed, but I personally would change Ami's line at the end of the R movie where she says "What's the point of surviving if we're the only ones" or somthing like that after Usagi's crystal breaks. The whole "Our worthless lives mean jack shit without Usagi" feel that very rarely crept into the show kind of ticked me off, but that's just me.

I guess as long as Toei doesn't digitally replace healed Galaxia with Naru at the end of Stars because "THAT'S HOW WE ORIGINALLY WANTED IT WE JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO DO IT AT THE TIME. I SWEAR!!!!!!" or something stupid like that I'll be content. ^_^
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Kazuki
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Kazuki » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:54 pm

I'd also like to see new transformations and attacks. Also, unlike the attacks, the senshi may get new tranformations once every 2 seasons or whatever but (minus Sailor Moon) they all use nearly exactly the same transformation footage apart from the beginning where they call out their transformation phrases.I'd also like to see a Sailor Moon mini episode just to see what Sailor Moon would look and be like in 2005, Maybe they could to a special based on one of the manga bits that weren't included in the anime maybe.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:00 pm

5.1 sound (Peach, I also expect my windows to shudder.)
Eternal fukus (I can't understand why they didn't do this in the first place.)
Extras like cast and crew interviews and commentary. (Clean openings and endings are not extras.)
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Pipestrell
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Pipestrell » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:21 am

Personally, what I'd like to see is the first few episodes with actual backgrounds instead of colour washes.
Rosencrantz: Do you think death could be a boat?
Guildenstern: No; Death is not, it isn’t. Death is the ultimate negative; not being. You can’t not be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No; what you’ve been, is not on boats.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:43 am

Personally, I would just do with cleaner picture/audio and more extras. (The extras on the region 2 discs are so weak!) I don't really like the idea of going back and fixing animation mistakes. Or changing lines, recycled footage, or anything like that. I don't really like my anime edited. :wink:

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Something else I thought of: None of that series box is only available in very limited quanties with the first press edition crap. You can still get the Utena series box and it comes with a T-shirt. And extras in terms of physical goods would be nice. I got all of the special editions of the first Ghost in the Shell season and came out with:
-2 Cds
-3 T-shirts
-4 collectable ID cards
-a nice tin box to hold all 7 volumes.

[OT]Like, OMG! This is, like, my 100th post![/OT]
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Sailor Moon != Ghost in the Shell. Bandai relies on putting extras in everything they have because, well, people aren't going to buy their products without some persuasion sans Gundam. Most of Bandai's releases are either cookie-cutter action/harme show....or, well, Gundam.

Also, people still care about Ghost in the Shell, .hack//SIGN, etc., because those shows are fresh off the Japanese market and ready to supply to the kiddies who first watch the show on Cartoon Network / fansubs and then buy the real deal. Sailor Moon, hate to say it, is nowadays more like the show you're just lucky enough that someone puts on DVD at all, much like Dnager Mouse, Count Duckula, and countless other cult hit shows from years ago. It's not fresh anymore, and although it has its fans (us), everyone except Toei of Japan has forgotten about this show, and moved on.

What's done in this show/manga is done, its fate cemented permanately eight years ago when Stars concluded in Feb. 1997. I'd like to see a decent release with better picture and sound as much as the next fan, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't. Since many of you have fansubs of the whole series already, it won't be the end of YOUR worlds, either.

I'm sorry for sounding like an ass, but really, people should just be happy for the Sailor Moon they got, and just accept what they have.

Pipestrell
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Pipestrell » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 pm

I can't speak for the rest of the folks here, but I for one was taking this discussion as PURELY hypothetical.
Rosencrantz: Do you think death could be a boat?
Guildenstern: No; Death is not, it isn’t. Death is the ultimate negative; not being. You can’t not be on a boat.
Rosencrantz: I’ve frequently not been on boats.
Guildenstern: No; what you’ve been, is not on boats.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:13 pm

Pipestrell wrote:I can't speak for the rest of the folks here, but I for one was taking this discussion as PURELY hypothetical.
So was I. I know it will probably never happen, we are just saying that if it were to happen, this is what we would like to see.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:56 pm

Neo Dead Moon wrote:Sailor Moon, hate to say it, is nowadays more like the show you're just lucky enough that someone puts on DVD at all, much like Dnager Mouse, Count Duckula, and countless other cult hit shows from years ago. It's not fresh anymore, and although it has its fans (us), everyone except Toei of Japan has forgotten about this show, and moved on.

What's done in this show/manga is done, its fate cemented permanately eight years ago when Stars concluded in Feb. 1997. I'd like to see a decent release with better picture and sound as much as the next fan, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't. Since many of you have fansubs of the whole series already, it won't be the end of YOUR worlds, either.

I'm sorry for sounding like an ass, but really, people should just be happy for the Sailor Moon they got, and just accept what they have.
I'll use my mod powers here to ask you to please refrain from harping against this purely hypothetical topic. This show is far from cultish (it still has plenty of fans in the US and Japan, and all the episodes are getting some rereleases overseas), and so the clamoring for its renewal in other places is not out of place, nor should it be considered ungrateful. In the future, please use a bit more tact when making your replies to the topic.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back