Where could an uncensored, uncut dubbed Stars go?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Where could an uncensored, uncut dubbed Stars go?

Post by Sailor X » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:01 am

I say Showtime Beyond. This is where Dirty Pair is shown, and it's much more explicit than Stars is. I mean, DPF has straight up nudity, nipples and all.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Re: Where could an uncensored, uncut dubbed Stars go?

Post by Stephen Victor » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:27 am

Call me crazy, but I don't want Stars to be uncut and uncensored if it actually is dubbed. I *want* it to be edited. I just think that it'd be interesting and amusing to see an edited dubbed version and to analyze all the changes in it and compare it to the original.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:59 am

I think it could easily go on Adult Swim...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:12 am

Dinozore wrote:I think it could easily go on Adult Swim...
No, actually it couldn't, or at least episode 200 couldn't. If I'm not mistaken, nudity is not allowed on the Adult Swim, not even nudity that isn't very explicit and therefore episode 200 couldn't be shown on there unless they painted clothes on Usagi or something.

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:19 am

Well, about the new Anime Network? I know not everyone has it but it won't be too late until it is made worldwide. Also, what about the MTV channel? I know Heat Guy J is made to air there.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:31 am

Sakuya wrote:Well, about the new Anime Network? I know not everyone has it but it won't be too late until it is made worldwide. .
there's an anime network?
Call me crazy, but I don't want Stars to be uncut and uncensored if it actually is dubbed. I *want* it to be edited.
you're crazy.
*shudder*
So very..very...crazy.

And I imagine it would just end up on DVD like season 1 and 2...I'm not sure if they would ever put it on television. But who knows...

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:38 am

Dinozore wrote:I think it could easily go on Adult Swim...
Never going to happen...

Sailor Stars=Kids

Adult Swim=adults

All of their shows are teen and adult targeted shows.
Tiff wrote:there's an anime network?
It's on Comcast on demand. It's pretty neat, you can order selected anime series for free.

Only flaw is...
All the shows are dubbed.......by ADV....

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:35 am

Encore: Action, perhaps? Or the International Channel? It could work on Adult Swim if they zoom in on Moon during the nude shots...heck, if they do that, they could probably put it on Saturday night on CN.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:39 am

Stephen Victor wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't want Stars to be uncut and uncensored if it actually is dubbed. I *want* it to be edited. I just think that it'd be interesting and amusing to see an edited dubbed version and to analyze all the changes in it and compare it to the original.
I agree, even though I made my own fandub (with purposeful changes). I hope they give the Starlights weird accents...mmm...Luna's dub voice...(does Homer Simpson drool)

Of course, that's probably because I've seen the original, so it would be somewhat boring to me if it WASN'T changed.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:09 am

If Sailor Stars was dubbed uncut, it could probably air on either ADV's anime network, the International Channel, or if they still aired anime in the U.S., the Sci-fi channel. Personally, I just want them to have a direct-to-DVD release in the U.S., since I don't watch much regular tv, anyway.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:23 am

Rainbow wrote: I agree, even though I made my own fandub (with purposeful changes).
Yes, we know. We know, we know, we know.
Rainbow, a lot of us are tired of hearing about your fandub. PLEASE stop sneaking your fandub, your fanfics, and your changes into every post you make.
It's on Comcast on demand. It's pretty neat, you can order selected anime series for free.
Only flaw is...
well, that killed it for me x_x

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:12 am

Umino wrote:
Tiff wrote:there's an anime network?

Only flaw is...
Not true, while The Anime Network is owned and run by ADV, the library is not entirely ADV. The majority of titles obviously are, but I know they have a show or two from Right Stuf and Geneon, and working on deals to air other shows from other distributors. Also, this month, The Anime Network is no longer a Comcast Exclusive. A month or two ago, ADV and Time Warner issued press releases of the channel's launch sometime in November, which will be availble on digital cable cable on demand. Anymore technical discussion of it should be in another thread in other anime.

Back on topic, I don't think Stars will hit TV arwaves except maybe possibly The Anime Network. I think that even that is a longshot though.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:09 pm

The Anime Network is showing Chobits, which is a Pioneer/Geneon series.

I don't think we'll ever get an uncensored, uncut SailorStars dub. Not only does Toei animation NOT want to ship Stars over, it would get ruined. See, the fanbase for the dub in America is higher than for the sub. If they release a dub, and all of a sudden "Serena" is "Usagi" and "Darien" is "Mamoru" then people are going to get confused. They won't want to keep buying it because its not the series they like. Also, people don't take Sailor Moon seriously. The movie channels wouldn't show it. That'd be like showing the Digimon movie on Encore. It wouldn't be taken seriously enough to be marketable.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Anna Roz » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:34 pm

I'm personally terrified of seeing a Stars dub. If it wasn't censored like Dic and Cloverway's dubs, yeah, that'd be nice, but believe me, it isn't likely. We'd probably see nude Usagi with her boobs and other "offensive to dubbie" regions painted blue with smiley faces. We'd see all scenes with cars flipped, because oh no, Japanese cars drive funny. We'd probably see scenes with signs written in "funny symbols" cut out, because the symbols look funny. Oh, and any scene that shows buildings would be cut, since buildings encourage kids to go on a killing spree. Grunting and other noises would suddenly sound like someone's having an orgasm, oh and the Starlights wouldn't be spared from the dubbing scissors either. I could imagine all the fun the dubbers would have cutting the season up..

Dubber#1: "Cut, cut, cut, let's cut this! Cut cut cut! Cut,cut,cut! We can't show buildings, cut cut cut! We can't show that, snip snip snip!"

Dubber#2:" This script sounds too intelligent, change, change, change! We can't show boobies, paint paint paint!"

Luchia Nanami
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Luchia Nanami » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:18 pm

Oh please. Adult Swim has shown nude, crudely drawn breasts before. The episode of Lupin III where the plot was to turn Lupin into an old man anyone? And the TG stuff wouldn't matter. Kenshin got away with it. CN's standards have grown much looser from last Sailor Moon was on. So I'd say it would end up on SVES. And the edits would only be determined by the company that dubbed it, not CN.

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by J Anderson » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:47 pm

Luchia Nanami wrote:Oh please. Adult Swim has shown nude, crudely drawn breasts before. The episode of Lupin III where the plot was to turn Lupin into an old man anyone? And the TG stuff wouldn't matter. Kenshin got away with it. CN's standards have grown much looser from last Sailor Moon was on. So I'd say it would end up on SVES. And the edits would only be determined by the company that dubbed it, not CN.
But didn't CN determine the cuts for S and SS for airing purposes? I know DiC decided on their cuts, but Cloverway dubbed all footage.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:56 pm

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a Stars dub. Sadly, I think our only hope is a DVD release ;_;
Last edited by peachvampiress on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:38 pm

Umino wrote:Only flaw is...
*tilts head* Why is that bad? I love the Excel Saga dub, and they did that...
J Anderson wrote:But didn't CN determine the cuts for S and SS for airing purposes? I know DiC decided on their cuts, but Cloverway dubbed all footage.
I think the only cuts they decided on were the two that resulted in temporarily skipped episodes...

And Luchia is right. The standards have become much less strict since S and SS aired. A little further and Stars could be on Saturday nights...

I'd like Stars to be dubbed well, preferably by Geneon (keeping Optimum the hell out away from it) using one of the dubbing studios they usually use (Which are pretty good)
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:49 pm

Dinozore wrote:
Umino wrote:Only flaw is...
*tilts head* Why is that bad? I love the Excel Saga dub, and they did that...
ALOT of their early dubs suck.

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:19 pm

If Geneon does pick up the rights to Sailor Stars, then I wonder what it would be like if they picked Bang Zoom to dub it? Bang Zoom is the studio for Cardcaptor Sakura right?