DiC vs. Cloverway

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:16 am

Well, let's see if I can take a whack at it. I'll have to start with the first episode that was cut, and go through the list.

Episode 2- Umino flips up Ms. Haruna's skirt. He also tries to get Usagi to kiss him (which could count as sexual harassament), and he and a bunch of other students damage school property.

Episode 5- That episode was probably because of the scene where Shingo kicked Luna, and then some other time in the episode where Usagi says to Luna when she's possesed "If you don't stop following me, I'll kick you" or something like that.

Episode 6- Usagi uses the disguise pen to transform herself into an adult so she can sneak into a bar. Then, she hops into the car of a man she just met. Sailor Moon Says, don't ride with strangers just because your herione does! *giggles annoyingly*

Episode 20-The only "objectionale" scene I can think of is when the monster people at the resort thing are trying to perform an excorist or whatever.

Episode 42-Sailor Moon is "too cruel" to the monster and starts hurting the monster-turned human instead of healing her. I'm not so sure about this episode.

Episode 67-Haven't seen it yet, so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe it's because the episode was so bad, that not even Ms. Naoko Takeuchi herself liked it? Isn't that the reason why it was pulled from the Sailor Moon R DVD boxset release? Like I said, I'm not certain for sure, since I haven't seen this episode yet.

User avatar
Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1310
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 am
Location: Bug Valley
Contact:

Post by Rainbow » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:30 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Episode 67-Haven't seen it yet, so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe it's because the episode was so bad, that not even Ms. Naoko Takeuchi herself liked it? Isn't that the reason why it was pulled from the Sailor Moon R DVD boxset release? Like I said, I'm not certain for sure, since I haven't seen this episode yet.
I've never seen it either, but I heard that it has dinosaurs in it. Maybe they don't want to show dinosaurs being alive in our time, even on a fantasy show about magical superheroes?
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

User avatar
marspeach
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:30 am

Post by marspeach » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:47 am

And 67 was pretty much a filler ep, and they just wanted action. I don't care for that episode, but I'm upset. It's the principle of the thing, you know?
I am a loser!

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:16 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:50 am

Tiff wrote:
Dinozore wrote:¬.¬ Stupid forum, stop dying when I try to post!

Actually, I think Serena's VA in the Cloverway dub got better over time...
Well, it's like I said..her voice wasn't bad when she didn't try to sound stupid.
Still, though, I never really got used to her voice. Not in S, not even in SuperS...

Or maybe I'm just so spoiled from my SuperS DVDs having the option to switch to Japanese language that any Englsih voice would sound wrong for Usagi at this point in my life ^^;

Except, of course, Tracey Moore.

User avatar
Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1310
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:37 am
Location: Bug Valley
Contact:

Post by Rainbow » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:24 pm

marspeach wrote:And 67 was pretty much a filler ep, and they just wanted action. I don't care for that episode, but I'm upset. It's the principle of the thing, you know?
Okay, I've just viewed 67 this evening. I have it on RealPlayer, and the video quality isn't very good (also it's Japanese with NO subtitles), but it's something. I thought it was a good, sweet story, but probably because I'm a Chibi-Usa-sama fan. Sorry, but I can't send it to you. I tried to send it to someone, but the file's rather large and it clogged up my Internet.
Last edited by Rainbow on Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:22 am

Post by J Anderson » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:38 pm

Stephen Victor wrote:
J Anderson wrote:I still question the validity of some cuts. Episode 5 was most likely NOT cut to to Haruna's dress being flipped up. I base this on the photography episode, where Haruna and Naru are shown in smallish swimsuits. Which were far more revealing. .
Episode two was the episode which involved a scene with Haruna's dress being flipped up. I personally believe it probably wasn't just that scene that ended up with the episode being cut, it probably had to do with the general theme of teenage boys being cruel, disrespectful and rebellious that was the reason it was cut. Come to think of it, does anyone know the reasons why episodes 2, 5, 6, 20, 42 and 67 were cut? With episodes 2 and 6, I can guess that they were cut because of objectionable content, but I have no idea why the others were.
I tend to get those first 3 cut episodes switched around, since they were all so close together. 20 and 67 were most likely cut to save both airtime and licensing costs, 42 because Sailor V isn't a well-known character in the US, they probably didn't figure it necessary.

User avatar
Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: In the trees

Post by Dinozore » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:59 pm

I think that the first three cut episodes were cut because they were Moon-only episodes and DiC wanted to introduce the other Scouts faster (to be honest, I never did like the Moon-only episodes...)

Episodes 20 and 67 were probably cut because they're side stories that don't involve the villain of the arc.

Episode 42 probably was cut because of the focus on Sailor V...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

User avatar
LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:17 am
Location: New Jersey

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:36 am

Another reason those Moon early episodes were cut because of stuff like Usagi sneaking into a night club and Umino sneaking in the girls locker room and looking up Haruna's skirt. And another reason 20 and 67 were cut was because they were "swimsuit episodes" Maybe they would've attempted to edit them if they were connected to the arc more.


Episode 42 still dealt with the main villains. As you said it was cut because Sailor V was the main focus. But that's still a stupid reason since there are plenty of episodes focusing on other characters.


I really enjoyed episodes 5,6, 42 and 67 though....
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

User avatar
FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by FoxFire » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:54 am

I didn't care much for most of the episodes with just Usagi either, but besides for the fact that it shouldn't be Dic's choice to cut whatever episodes they want, what annoys me the most is that the episodes that they cut were some of the best pre-Mercury and Mars episodes. I liked episodes 5 and 6. Episode 7 was probably my least favorite of those episodes.

I thought the dinosaur episode was the worst episode of R (what was the point of it), but again it still shouldn't be their choice which episodes to cut.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:58 am

One hypothesis on Episode 24...

Sailor Moon wants to hurt/kill Katrina because she hurt Minako in the past; even if DiC was able to edit the dialog, you can see how upset Usagi is with Katrina, and really, REALLY wants to make her pay for what she "did" to Minako.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:00 pm

Let's get back on topic. This isn't a discussion about why those episodes were cut.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:36 am

*wonders why nobody has bought in any Tiffu glue to repair her where she cracked up earlier in the thread*

*Brings glue and repairs Tiff*

I prefer DiC. Well, DiC up to where Rini appears (Tracy Hoyt=Ugh! Sugar is better) and still cannot tell where Tracey Moore left off and Terri Hawkes began.

My main munchkin (or beef, whatever you prefer) here is that more people are following the DiCheads' example and screwing us anime fans over royally *gun magically appears in hand and is pointed in the direction of the CEO of 4Kids*

I still can only think of a few points where DiC was inconsistent with themselves though (like SMR#2)
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Guest

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:36 pm

Uh, this is a very difficult question. I'd really like to say DiC, but CWi has some good... parts... about their dub. (It wasn't easy to say that). For example, sometimes they were more intact with the original than DiC was, and they had more of a "Japanese theme" in the episodes, whereas DiC gave an american theme. They kept more episodes, and names. Occasionaly they'd get a spell name correct (e.g. Sparkinlg Wide Pressure). And they kept (the most anoying word) "nega" out. But, there are some bad things. Instead of getting spell names correct, they got them so wrong, it made DiC look good. "Jupiter thunder power"??? WTF was that? also, they were incredibly inconstant. One day their Soldiers, next day their selling cookies... ugh :x there was also the very unwanted presence of slang that made me cringe every time i heard something like "It's not my bag" made this sound worse than scooby doo and their 60's slang. and then, it was rushed. I'm sorry,but Ms. Ballantine has THE_WORST voice for Serena. For god sakes, she sounds like Scooby Doo when she laughs. (the whole ahe he he he he). DiC just made more cuts, made it a lil more cartoonish, and made the scripts a little kiddish, but in all I'd have to say DiC did a better job. I think of it like this: If you were to make 1-5 $ depending on weather the episdode was good (1=bad 5=good) and DiC makes about a 2, 3 or 4 sometimes, but mostly a 3. Cloverway varies, sometimes its a 1 (Kickin' in to High Gear), but sometimes its a 5 (darkness, my old friend). I'd rather get a 3 everyday, than a 1 or a 4.

User avatar
Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: The Northeast, way south of Maine

Post by Miyamoto » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:33 pm

Well.. I'm afraid I don't have anything good to say about either version... I think they both suck. I admit though that I started my SM fandom with the Cloverway dubbed Sailor Moon S that aired in December of 2000 (the year that Comcast finally added Cartoon Network to its system). I had known what Sailor Moon was but I was never really interested... but somehow I gave in and I decided to give it a try and then I was instantly hooked. I watched CWi's S and SuperS, being confused about the characters.. Then, not knowing any better at the time I went out and bought some of the DiC tapes just because I wanted to see how the series began... Boy was that a mistake... Sure it filled me in about the characters etc but the voices etc sucked BIG TIME! Not too long after I downloaded the fansubs of SM classic and R and I loved it and I haven't seen a dubbed for TV SM ep since then. I have two of the S DVDs... So I'm a hardcore original version SM fan. I cringe whenever I see a dub of SM or any other anime for that matter. SM started me on my anime fandom. I've seen many other animes since then. THANK YOU NAOKO-SAN!
Supah Mario ownz j00 f00!!

http://we.is-a-geek.org/~ShiggyMiyamoto ... maller.jpg

If you''d like to send me a message please use [email protected]. Thnx.

Recent Funny Xbox Chat:

<aznwaterboy> how did xbox kill a cat
<SMiyamoto> LOL
<Raxc> XBox fell on the cat''s back.

User avatar
Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: The Northeast, way south of Maine

Post by Miyamoto » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:56 pm

Hmm.. It's almost been 10 days since I posted my reply into this topic.... Was my post THAT powerful? lol
Supah Mario ownz j00 f00!!

http://we.is-a-geek.org/~ShiggyMiyamoto ... maller.jpg

If you''d like to send me a message please use [email protected]. Thnx.

Recent Funny Xbox Chat:

<aznwaterboy> how did xbox kill a cat
<SMiyamoto> LOL
<Raxc> XBox fell on the cat''s back.

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:43 pm

I failed to notice. Is Tiff going to thank me for repairing her?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:22 am

Post by J Anderson » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:47 pm

Cutting episode 67 for being filler and dubbing the clip episode makes no sense though. Especially when I doubt DiC really had plans to dub anything past R, for that matter.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:29 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:I failed to notice. Is Tiff going to thank me for repairing her?
XD;;; Tiff failed to notice that you repaired her!
*gives you a gold star and a cookie (which she made without burning her parents' house down, YAY)*

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:14 am

*eats cookie, takes star and distributes supplies of Tiffu glue for whenever she cracks up again*
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

User avatar
Sailor Solider
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:50 pm

Post by Sailor Solider » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:53 pm

DiC. I detest Clover for many reasons, one of them is all that crappy gangsta talk. Especially hearing something like ''Yo, Serena, quit tripping'' from a character like Ami. Ummm, sorry, was just to busy reading Tiff's S.D.A and it suddenly got mixed with my mind.

Great stuff though.

:lol:

Locked