DiC vs. Cloverway

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by J Anderson » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:35 am

I can almost understand some of the dub and sub errors during the Cloverway period. At least in the Japanese track, Tomoe does seem to say "Kaorinite" and "Yujial". And remliss/lemures could go either way just by listening to it. At least they didn't change the names to such a degree that the DiC episodes did.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:45 am

I don't think Cloverway changed too many names. Other than keeping most of the names DiC had changed previously and giving the Outers (Hotaru exempted) new names, a lot of their changed names (most of the Witches 5, for example) seem to simply be odd translations of the original ones.

I do like DiC a little better, because they had some good songs and some better lines (the "talent" line, for one). A lot of what got cut was understandable (especially considering that it was dubbed close to 10 years ago), and most of the episodes they cut weren't of any real relevance to the story anyway. The 45-46 thing was kind of irritating, though I actually do think the combined episode is still pretty good.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:53 pm

Dinozore wrote: The 45-46 thing was kind of irritating, though I actually do think the combined episode is still pretty good.
Well, it's like Dan said...if it stands alone and isn't compared to the original, then sure, 45-46 would be fine. But some of us (including myself) love the original so much, that what they did to 45-46 was just horrid.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

RyoRei0110
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RyoRei0110 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:46 pm

I don't really mind either dub, they both had their good and their bad.. but I'm going to go with DiC, because the Cloverway version was a bit too rushed for my taste.

Even now, I think the DiC version just seemed more interesting and more funny while the Cloverway was just boring. I wish the VAs for Cwi put more "umph" into it.
::cries:: Its been forver!! And this place has changed... oh how I''ve missed it all ::hugs::

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:02 pm

n/a
Last edited by peachvampiress on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:21 pm

This is just like Sophie's Choice... I can't decide which one I want to die more.

Okay, I can. And I say Dic must die. Yes, I hate Cloverway. They did stupid things like change Haruka to Amara, an equally foreign name. They changed Zirconia into a lipstick-wearing Yoda. But Dic... they just really fucked up. Nothing bugs me more than those damn scene-changers they came up with. I think it's to wake the viewer up every 5 minutes. I can't even begin to fathom what Dic would have done to the S finale. "Stop picking on Harriet! So what if she got a new hairdo, that just happens to move, that doesn't mean you should hurt her!.... feelings that is."

GAG.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:07 pm

Jeff wrote:This is just like Sophie's Choice... I can't decide which one I want to die more.

Okay, I can. And I say Dic must die. Yes, I hate Cloverway. They did stupid things like change Haruka to Amara, an equally foreign name. They changed Zirconia into a lipstick-wearing Yoda. But Dic... they just really fucked up. Nothing bugs me more than those damn scene-changers they came up with. I think it's to wake the viewer up every 5 minutes. I can't even begin to fathom what Dic would have done to the S finale. "Stop picking on Harriet! So what if she got a new hairdo, that just happens to move, that doesn't mean you should hurt her!.... feelings that is."

GAG.
*CRACKS UP*
Oh Jeff..you crack me up.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:17 pm

I could imagine the scene where Hotaru becomes Mistress Nine:

"Wow, this is totally da bomb."

*kills DiC*
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:05 pm

As a stand-alone product,I treasure the DiC dub,mostly because I grew up watching it as a little girl(I'm only fourteen),and to this day,when I have nothing better to do,I pop in one of my tapes with recorded DiC episodes and kick back.Although they completely butchered the series and made it kiddy-fied,as Dan and a few others said,it's a great show if you don't compare it to the original.I have to agree that they added in some wonderful comedy and stayed mostly faithful to the plotline,and don't laugh,but I actually adore the background music.I'd prefer that upbeat,action-y transformation and attack music over that cheesy "OoOH Sera Muun..."anyday.

Cloverway...well,I don't even need to explain.

I must admit on a final note,however,that I absolutely despise the North American theme song.*vomits*

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:56 am

Rindesayu wrote:but I actually adore the background music.I'd prefer that upbeat,action-y transformation and attack music over that cheesy "OoOH Sera Muun..."anyday.
Me too. Except for the Outers' transformation music, I don't like any of it. And I still think Mars' sounds like disco...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:10 am

*shrug* I found the DiC transformation BGM bland. I love practically all of the disco-ish transformation BGM with the singing. I find it incredibly catchy. Nothin beats the outers' theme though.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:17 am

In my opinion, while DiC had a few decent tunes I probably prefer the music of the original, especially the music used in S which I think is absolutely beautiful. A lot of the music from the Japanese Sailormoon is very fun, catchy, sad, lovely, memorable ... a few DiC tunes are cool and catchy, but a lot of it I don't like and find to be pretty dull and overall I find the Japanese music to be more beautiful and emotional.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:34 am

LadyFlameSniper wrote:*shrug* I found the DiC transformation BGM bland. I love practically all of the disco-ish transformation BGM with the singing. I find it incredibly catchy. Nothin beats the outers' theme though.
Me, too. I love the original henshin music. I love singing to it. "SAILA MAHS! SAILA MAHS!"

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Obsessive Touga Fan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Obsessive Touga Fan » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:07 pm

There's nothing especially wrong with DiC's transformation music... but the original transformation music is one of my absolute favourite things about the series. In fact, the first subtitled Sailor Moon I watched was the R movie, and the moment I fell in love with the original version was when I heard Sailor Venus' transformation music.

So cheesy... so perfect :shock:

Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Anna Roz » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:21 pm

Although I equally despise both dubs, Dic at least tried to keep things consistent, no matter how badly they screwed up the show. Cloverway, meanwhile, couldn't decide on a dub name for Venus' Love-Me Chain, or Jupiter's attacks, for that matter. And don't get me started on the dubbed SuperS attacks. Then again, Dic had a problem with keeping attacks consistent themselves. What I like about Dic is that in the last 17 episodes of R, they KEPT the name of Mercury's "Shine Aqua Illusion" attack. However, such inconsistancies as "Moon Star Power" piss me off. Music wise, I like the Cloverway dub better, although I don't like the dubbed Ai No Senshi lyrics. Cloverway actually kept most of the original music, while whoever was working in the music department with Dic thought it fun to bash their head against the synthesizer for hours before they finished. Censorship wise, both the dubs are tied. I can't decide which is worse in that department..oy..

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:00 pm

I think part of my bias against Cloverway is that when I saw DiC's, I had no clue about the original. But when I saw Cloverway, I already knew about the original. I had been introduced to Sailor Moon through DiC, so it holds a special place in my heart *gags on the cheeziness of that line*
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Mercurius
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mercurius » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:21 pm

That's a hard choice...after watching the uncut season 1, I couldn't go back to DiC's shows without thinking, "Hey, there's supposed to be a scene (or a whole episode) here!" and Linda Ballentine and all that awful slang ruined the Cloverway dub...so lately, I just watch them subtitled...I don't even have the DiC episodes anymore...(DiC did come up with some catchy original songs, so I suppose that gives them the edge...but not by much). The original theme is much better than the "Fighting Evil By Moonlight..." one DiC used.

SailorBoy62
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorBoy62 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:36 am

There were only two things that made me like the DiC dub a bit more, and that was the fact that it was in stereo. Also, the sound was mixed terribly in the Cloverway version. The volume of the music and sound effects were all over the place in the Cloverway dub. It was annoying..

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:53 am

Starscream wrote:I could imagine the scene where Hotaru becomes Mistress Nine:

"Wow, this is totally da bomb."

*kills DiC*
"It's so sweet, I'm getting cavities." ><

Chibi chibi star
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Chibi chibi star » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:02 pm

I'd have to go with DiC for doing a better job with Sailor Moon. Kudos to Cloverway for putting in the origingal Japanese music, but their VAs for Ami and Usagi sucked; they screwed up almost every episode only 5 times worse than DiC; skipped a VERY important episode of Sailor Moon (although it wasn't nearly ALL their fault); and were very inconsistent with the attack names. DiC was just as bad, but at least they (kinda) kept things consistent.
I wish on a star...
Just to be with you...
Please find me...
Call my name for me...
I'll be there for you...
My only love...