About Super S: is it really THAT bad?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Crecent beam
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Crecent beam » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:44 am

In the anime it is pretty clear why Haruka and Michiru aren't around. They had come to Tokyo to find the talismans, and when the mission had been completed, they had nothing to do there.
Besides, they are supposed to fight against enemies from outside the Solar System, and as we know, that's not the case of the dead Moon Circus.

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Sailor Moon S & first 6 episodes of Sailor Moon Stars

Post by SailorMoonFan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:57 am

Jeff wrote:I tend to fall on and off the SuperS train, but right now I'm definitely "on."

This season had a lot of "filler," but it's not as bad as it sounds. Most episodes develop the relationship between Chibusa and Pegasus, or they are very funny. I also think that this is an impressive season stylistically, with all of Kunihiko Ikuhara's weirdness (that circus tent is downright bizarre). The plot is executed really unconventionally, and the Chibiusa becomes a really likeable character. There are many sweet scenes.

The way Nehelenia was explained was weird, with only hints and clues given until the end, and the final episode was very different, and I liked it. Instead of blasting the hell out of the final villain, talking, talking, choking, and falling was a nice change of place. Episode 166 had a surreal sense about it.

I only wish that, when Sailor Moon was falling, she had transformed into Eternal Sailor Moon (that way she could have flown herself and Chibimoon to safety). I think that would have been a very neat thing and would have eliminated the need to bring back Nehelenia and ruin her character with some emo story about wanting to have a story read to her.

Like I said before I really like the cliffhanger. We get somewhat of a sense of Nehelenia and what her motive is and some background into her life. But during the first 6 episodes of Sailor Moon Stars the sketch that we get of Nehelenia is turned into a portrait of her--we learn about her whole life and feelings. In the subtitled versoin of the last episodes of the Nehelenia arc, Queen Nehelenia mentions that she wanted to have a friend and a lover which really makes me feel for her. But I don't think her character was ruin when Stars came, her character became more defined and clear. And also Queen Nehelenia's return was persuaded by Queen Galaxia and that is important if you take that in consideration.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:11 am

While I dont dislike superS it is my least favorite of the sailormoon seasons for a simple reason. I totally dispise chibi-usa and that season focuses on her more then the other characters.

This is just a personal reason though so I cant speak for anyone else.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Re: Sailor Moon S & first 6 episodes of Sailor Moon Star

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:40 am

SailorMoonFan wrote: And also Queen Nehelenia's return was persuaded by Queen Galaxia and that is important if you take that in consideration.
Exactly. Queen Nehelenia was used to promote the growth of Sailor Saturn because Galaxia needed all of the starseeds to be mature (she probably couldn't use them if they weren't) - since Hotaru was still a baby, her star seed was pre-mature and Sailor Saturn wasn't awakened. So I think Nehelenia's arc was important because of that reason besides her on personal closing in the series.

artemis_is_my_dawg
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by artemis_is_my_dawg » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:25 pm

SuperS is one of my favorite seasons. it was great, beautiful, and funny. i loved the amazon quartet, (keep in mind i watched this DUB) and the amazon trio. lets just say i loved all of the enemies. i also loved rini and helios' little friendship. so adorable!

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:10 pm

In my opinion I think Sailor Moon Super S is a great season to turn to if you are looking for something to laugh on and this season is full of humor. Sailor Moon S was a more darker & serious series and I think it was great making it funny & humorous. Even though the storyline in the Super S goes more indepth and at a more serious tone in the first 6 episodes of the Sailor Stars season, Super S is just fun to watch for their filler episodes.

*Eternal Moon*
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by *Eternal Moon* » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 pm

artemis_is_my_dawg wrote:SuperS is one of my favorite seasons. it was great, beautiful, and funny. i loved the amazon quartet, (keep in mind i watched this DUB) and the amazon trio. lets just say i loved all of the enemies. i also loved rini and helios' little friendship. so adorable!
I really liked SuperS too. It had my favorite villains (the Amazoness Quartet), the animation and music was beautiful and like you, I loved Chibiusa's and Helios relationship. They never showed that side of Chibiusa before and she's one of my favorite characters so I really enjoyed the season.

otakugirl17
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by otakugirl17 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 pm

I like SuperS. Not my favorite, but I don't hate it. It had pros and cons. It had good music, transformations, attacks, and it went into dreams. It had my favorite villians the Amazon Trio( I didn't care for the Amazoness Quartet) and the episodes were funny.

I was disappointed that the outers weren't in this season and the lack of plot did annoy me. I like Chibiusa, but I felt that the inners were ignored this season. Also the fight scenes were pathetic and it made it very hard to believe that these were the same girls who fought Dark Kingdom, Black Moon, and the Death Busters. And the youma in this season had such HORRIBLE designs. They weren't threatening at all.

However I still enjoyed this season and the only reason it's bashed so much is because of the focus of Chibiusa. I don't know why she gets so much hate. She's so cute even though the way she treats Usagi annoys me.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:20 pm

Mod mode::
otakugirl17, Please put your birthday into your profile. It's required. Thanks :D!
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Master Zirconia in the sub vs. dub

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:42 pm

Does anyone think that making Master Zirconia in the dub version a male instead of a female a big mistake in the SuperS arc? I mean, first of all, it totally messes up certain aspects of the plot, especially near the end. What do you think about this?

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Re: Master Zirconia in the sub vs. dub

Post by Gamer8585 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:19 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:Does anyone think that making Master Zirconia in the dub version a male instead of a female a big mistake in the SuperS arc? I mean, first of all, it totally messes up certain aspects of the plot, especially near the end. What do you think about this?
Yeah making her a male doesn't make one lick of sense since [spoiler]Zerconia is supposed to be a reflection of Nehelenia's true self.[/spoiler] Or what about how they made Fish-Eye into a woman, but one episode shows Fish-Eye bear chested (and its definitely a man chest).

I still love this arc (subbed; the dub makes my ears bleed with all the damn slang). The Amazon Trio is quite possible the best group of villains ever:

They pick out their victims while getting hammered, Tigers-Eye is so vain when he fails to get a girl he can't come to grips with it (comically), Hawks-Eye loves to make fun of Tigers-Eye (and Vice-Virsa), they both felt awkwardly attracted to Fish-Eye, and Fish-Eye was the only villain to make fun of the Senshi for wearing mini-skirts. Heck, the way they extract the dream mirror and "examine" it is a metaphor for rape (and that just makes them the most evil villains in the series).
Not to mention the whole episode where Minako two-times Tigers-Eye and Hawks-Eye (the irony works on so many levels).

Yes, their episodes were mainly filler, but it was damn good filler.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:27 pm

I've never seen the episode with Minako two-timing Tigers Eye & Hawks Eye. I must have missed it when it aired on Cartoon Network (dubbed) when the SuperS first came on. Darn! Can't wait to get my DVD Collection in. :P

I've missed quite a lot of episodes from the SuperS arc, especially near the end when the Amazoness Quartet came in.

I think making this season funny, fluffy, and bouncy was appropriate because during SMS was very dark and even though there was humor, all of the episodes were very important because you had to know who the Messiah was, what the Holy Grail is, who were the 3 people who were the holders of the talisman, etc. Once you get to the first 6 episodes of Sailor Stars which is the conclusion of the Nehernia arc, it's very different from SuperS.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:56 pm

i don't really HATE super s, but it's my least favorite of the 5 seasons. to many predicatable fillers, to much chibi moon (although i love the helios-chibiusa story line) its not all bad though. the amazoness quartet is so cute, and the story picks up towards the end. and it has some really funny episodes (ie when diana comes)

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

SailorMoonFan
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorMoonFan » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:07 pm

I have a quick question: in the dubs of the SM SuperS arc, were the Amazoness Quartet called the Amazon Quartet or did they keep their original name like it was in the Japanese episodes? Thanks!

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:08 pm

SailorMoonFan wrote:I have a quick question: in the dubs of the SM SuperS arc, were the Amazoness Quartet called the Amazon Quartet or did they keep their original name like it was in the Japanese episodes? Thanks!

Amazon Quartet.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

tangledupxinplaid
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by tangledupxinplaid » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:27 pm

I remember getting hooked on SM when the dub of Sailor Moon S was on TV and I continued to watch it when Super S started running. I didn't like it as much as S, but I didn't find it horrendously awful, either.

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Sailor Moon Super S- Why don't people prefer it?

Post by sailor_moon_R » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 pm

I have a serious Question. Why does everyone dis or even hate the 4th season of Sailor Moon. Its actually a really good series if you think about it. I personally think it is a great series!! Why does everyone think it is bad. Im talking about the Japanese one, not the English. The Japanese one is really great!! Can someone tell me?

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:37 pm

K i'll bite though I think this may have been discussed before. I know for my own personal reasons I dislike that series because I read the Manga version before I watched the animated version. And there were too many differences that didnt make since.

1. Giving Mamarou's crystal to Helios- while it did make his character have a big purpose in the anime, he still had simular purpose in the manga, he was a protector or Mamoru and his crystal instead. So I guess the change isnt so bad it just bugged me because once again Tuxedo Kamen's powers were reduced to give another character more play in my eyes.

2. Diana's enterance into the story- Because I read the manga I knew the little kitty who I still think is adorable actually appears during the time arc. Her bravery in guarding the time door for Pluto was highlighted there as well. Along with the cute scene where Artemis and Luna realize that in the future they become mates and have a kitten. No instead you get the episode in super s where she appears, Luna and Artemis fight about it because she thinks he is in love with some human nun? ugh that epsiode still irrates me.

3. Im torn on my feelings for this but I still say that the Amazoness Quartets characters were portrayed abit better in the anime because they were cute and all. But the manga shows who they really were and they were the major villians for the book along with Nehelania. Not the trio which were just their pets in the book and did not last long against the senshi. Now dont get me wrong I love the mess out of Fisheye, Tigerseye, and Hawkseye but to me I could give or take them just like Ann and Ail from the R series. And with Nehelenia not being taken care of by the end of the series and leaking into stars I just cant it bugs me, the whole curse on the silver millenium was overlooked, which could have helped explain why so many tragedies befell Serenity and all the senshi. And I just think they focused too much on comedic stuff. And I think the book was more clearer on Zircona/Nehelina being one in the same.

4. The Amazoness Quartet just freaking disappear..no telling of who they really where, they are just made to be another group of bad guys who change their minds and walk off into the sunset..ugh. Their names should give away who they really are to most fans but the manga point blank tells you their Senshi who are named after moons of the inner Senshi. Pallas, Juno, Vesta, and Ceres.

I could go on but I think this is long enough I know many love the anime and I would never knock that I love the full show all around. But I guess reading it first ruined the anime for me, cause the whole dream mirrors nonsense just seemed to pale compared to the manga's story to me. This is just my opinion on it though I cant speak for why others dont like that season.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Re: Sailor Moon Super S- Why don't people prefer it?

Post by Slrjoecool » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:22 pm

sailor_moon_R wrote:I have a serious Question. Why does everyone dis or even hate the 4th season of Sailor Moon. Its actually a really good series if you think about it. I personally think it is a great series!! Why does everyone think it is bad. Im talking about the Japanese one, not the English. The Japanese one is really great!! Can someone tell me?
<MOD MODE>

sailor_moon_R,

PLEASE. Read the rules, and use the search feature of SMU before creating a new topic. This is the second time I've had to warn you about this. It took me 60 seconds top to find this topic. Do NOT create another duplicate topic again.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

KKDW
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by KKDW » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm currently watching SuperS, and...well....I think from how I'm see it as bearing down more to individual episodes. Most of the time I'm really enjoying an individual plot only for this to be ruined when the villians strike, I can't help thinking that there must be a better method for them to go Pegasus hunting! Also, why oh why does Chibi-Moon have to call up Pegasus EVERY SINGLE TIME just so Sailor Moon can kill the really stupid R/Lemless?

Though I think there are some good moments and episodes (some of which involce subversions of the what seem to have become annoying cliches by now). Three moments I liked that I can recall right now...
1: That episode where the villians go after that girl who's practicing to be a swordmaster, because the victime of the week HELPED TAKE ON THE MOSTER!
2: One episode where there up against one of the inflatable ball monsters, we hear Tuxedo Mask's theme music start up, ball looks around to see where the music is coming from and then TM's Rose ramdomly slugs itself into the ball!
3: Another TM moment, he just does the rose throw thing to distract the monster, only it dosen't work (FOR ONCE) and the ball monster (another one!) runs straight over it, really I can't exactly see the point of Tuxedo Mask being there anymore! Aside from perhaps getting Sailor Moon to focus on what she doing while she's being completely useless!