About Super S: is it really THAT bad?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:50 pm

I liked SuperS. I thought it was the Chibi-Usa/Pegasus storyline was rather sweet, and the Amonzoness Quartet are among my favorite all-time anime characters. ^_^

StarlightJupiter
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by StarlightJupiter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:59 pm

I personally didn't enjoy it because it revolved too much around Chibiusa and she is the character I like the least. I don't find her very interesting at all so naturally I didn't enjoy an entire season starring her.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:56 pm

I agree that the ART in SuperS was really good (for the most part), but I, personally, didn't like the story at all. It seemed, to me, just to be another version of Sleeping Beauty. Nehelania just took the place of Malifecent. Plus, Pegasus was just plain UGLY in the manga. He was SO poorly drawn. Even in the "good" pictures, he just looks...blah.

As for the anime...it wasn't that bad, I don't think. Like others have said, it was a kind of "break" from all the serious, apocalyptic stuff. It quickly straightened itself out, tho, when it came to crunch time, and I do like the final few eps. I also like Rini's voice in this season (and S) cuz it's really cute.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:57 pm

Rainbow wrote:It might be that it's a "male that she calls on for help."
Umm..

I think it's the other way around. Helios calls on Chibiusa FOR HELP. I remeber Chibiusa saving or aiding Helios alot more than Helios helping her.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:38 am

devilmaykickass wrote:I think a big part of me not liking it quite as much as the others is the insanely horrible quality Pioneer gave us in the Region 1 DVDs...by far the worst quality DVDs I've ever seen in my life...before that I'd only seen the Cloverway dub and the raw Japanese LDs (which are freaking beautiful)...so it didn't help for me to finally see it to where it was uncut and I could tell what was going on for it to look so horrid.
I STILL don't see why Toei gave Pioneer such lousy masters. It's like they make the U.S. Sailor Moon releases poor quality on purpose to make people buy the more expensive, Japanese R2 DVDs. The only good thing about the R1 DVDs is that their translation job is a lot better than the badly written, horribly romanicized slop from VKLL, and that there's 6 episodes on each DVD.

Oh, do I hate Toei.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:48 pm

Now that I remember it, it's more like the Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask relationship. He rescues her in the regular Senshi battles (the Twinkle Yell power) but then at the end of the anime, she saves him from Nehelenia. At least, that's what I remember. I haven't watched the anime in a while, nor read the manga. I'm pretty sure she saves him more in the manga, too, just like how Sailor Moon saves Tux more in the manga.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 pm

Hmm, I never really thought of it as Pegasus rescuing Chibi-usa, I always thought of it as Chibi-Usa telling Pegasus to charge up Sailor Moon's Kalediscope. At the beginning of Moon Gorgeous Meditation it looks he's using his power to make it stronger. Sort of a team effort I guess.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:02 pm

I guess I was just annoyed that they needed a man to charge up Sailor Moon's attack. Although that actually might be a more equal thing in the Sailor Moon world since it includes so many powerful females, both good and evil and inbetween.

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:33 pm

Rainbow wrote:I guess I was just annoyed that they needed a man to charge up Sailor Moon's attack. Although that actually might be a more equal thing in the Sailor Moon world since it includes so many powerful females, both good and evil and inbetween.
o_O as opposed to other female senshi charging up her attack? What difference does it make if the senshi help charge her up at the end of the first season, or if Helios helps her charge it up during SuperS? Chibiusa helps her at the end of R...how is that any different? Becuase Helios is a man?

*shakes head* that's being more sexist than the actual issue at hand.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:46 am

I just rewatched SuperS just recently, and all in all, I don't think I have much of a problem with the series. I quite enjoy it. It's got some interesting villains, and I don't really have a problem with Chibiusa, who's likely one of my favorites out of the senshi. I didn't care for Helios that much (Chibiusa could find a better match than him IMHO :P Anshar from Sailor Moon: Another Story for one...), but there's not much that brings the series down for me.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:05 am

I think I was just realizing that was rather sexist, since the Sailor Moon show kind of neglects men as it is. Which is one of the reasons I like it so much. I am not sure why I disliked that about Helios, but as soon as I remembered how much more females have power in the Sailor Moon-universe, I realized that it wasn't as sexist as I thought it was.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:42 pm

While I didn't completely dislike SuperS, it was my least favorite season. I can't say I enjoyed the half with the Trio much. *shrug* I didn't like the Trio. This half also felt more episodic than the rest of the anime, and you rarely saw the inners.

I didn't like the fact that Usagi and Chibi-Usa had so much spotlight. (mostly in the first part) No I don't hate either one. Of course they're the main characters, but the previous seasons gave more time for the other senshi. The filler episodes weren't too interesting either.

The second half with the Quartet was better. Nehelenia is one of the coolest SM villains, and finally the inners began to show up more. I liked Helios too. He's one of my favorite male SM characters.. He and Chibi-Usa were cute together in the dreams.

So yeah SuperS wasn't bad, but it pales in comparison to the other seasons, as well as the manga version. SuperS manga is the second best IMO, and it's a shame Toei had to change it THAT much. I also missed the outers in the anime version.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:44 pm

I wish that Pioneer could have picked up the SuperS specials. I think that it would have been a nice addition to the box sets.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:35 pm

LadyFlameSniper wrote:I also missed the outers in the anime version.
Technically they WERE in SuperS, but in the Special episode (like Usagi04 said above)

[offtopic]...and yes, I truly wish that they would have picked up:

- SuperS Specials
- Ami-chan no Hatsukoi
- Stars
- The dubbed movies with the dubbed music and cuts on those DVDs they released, 'cause it took me a long time to get them (as .RMs) otherwise (I already had the dub voices/Japanese music/uncut DVDs)[/offtopic]

Anyway, to me, SuperS was the least entertaining season. It felt too bland...needed more/better action.
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[SMU] [Sonic-CulT] [Sonic Classic] [SoaH]
[SWS2B] [Zophar's] [DaizenshuuEX]
[My LiveJournal]

~ RattleMan's SMU Signature ~
~ April 10th, 2005 ~

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:19 pm

Usagi04 wrote:I wish that Pioneer could have picked up the SuperS specials. I think that it would have been a nice addition to the box sets.
I have to wonder, why didn't we get Make Up! Sailor Senshi, Sailor Moon SuperS TV specials, or Ami-chan's First Love?

It seems a bit odd CWI/Geneon didn't get them. Shouldn't Make Up! Sailor Senshi be included with the SMR movie? Same goes for Ami-chan's First Love, and the SuperS movie. And aren't the specials part of SuperS?

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:49 pm

Umino wrote:
Usagi04 wrote:I wish that Pioneer could have picked up the SuperS specials. I think that it would have been a nice addition to the box sets.
I have to wonder, why didn't we get Make Up! Sailor Senshi, Sailor Moon SuperS TV specials, or Ami-chan's First Love?

It seems a bit odd CWI/Geneon didn't get them. Shouldn't Make Up! Sailor Senshi be included with the SMR movie? Same goes for Ami-chan's First Love, and the SuperS movie. And aren't the specials part of SuperS?
One would think they would be as they are included on the Japanese DVD's if I remember correctly. CWI/Geneon may not have bothered trying to get them seeing them as non-important. It's too bad since Make Up! Sailor Senshi is funny and Ami-chan's First Love is cute. I think the animation for Ami's henshin and attack are gorgous.

As for my opinion of SuperS, it basically mirrors LFS. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't as good especially coming after S and if you had read the manga.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:15 pm

Kameko wrote: One would think they would be as they are included on the Japanese DVD's if I remember correctly.
Yeah, they are. Make Up! Sailor Senshi! is on the SMR movie DVD, Ami-chan's First Love on the SuperS movie DVD, and the SuperS specials were on the first Sailor Moon SuperS DVD.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:50 am

RattleMan wrote:I also missed the outers in the anime version.

Technically they WERE in SuperS, but in the Special episode (like Usagi04 said above)
Yeah I know, I have it. A short special which wasn't even all that special. (And due to other story differences, Pluto and Saturn weren't in it at all.) I meant I wish the outers were regulars in the anime season.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:56 am

I never really liked Super S all that much. It's always been my least favorite season. There were a few select episodes from that season that I really liked, but that's about it.

Sailor Moon's new attack, "Moon Georgous Meditation" or whatever it's called (it's been so long since I've watched it) really annoys me and I really don't like watching that segment in every episode.

I don't mind the fact that the season focuses more on Chibiusa, but I really don't think the storyline is all that great and it was disappointing that the outers didn't appear in this season.

Hachiko
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Hachiko » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:14 pm

I've seen SuperS a few years ago, and I think the series could have had more of the Outers involved in this one. Also, one big mistake that I noticed (though not a major problem) is that Usagi and the Sailor Team are still in junior high. They should have been in their first year of high school. This would make the characters in Stars in second year of high school.

Also, I would have liked more to see the Nehelenian arc added to the end of SuperS, instead of being at the start of Stars.

As for the dub, I would have let Hawkes keep the role as the voice of Sailor Moon instead of Ballantyne, since those familiar with the dub know that Hawkes can do Usagi/Serena's voice better. Also, the attacks and transformation calls should have been the same as the Japanese version if CWI were to do it right (which they didn't).

Other than that, I think SuperS is an okay series. If what I had suggested above was done, SuperS would have continued the legacy and success S left off, and this time pull it off quite nicely.