How should the manga get re-released?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

ViciousKatanaGuy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

How should the manga get re-released?

Post by ViciousKatanaGuy » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:32 pm

TOKYOPOP eagerly wants to re-release the Sailor Moon manga, but it's undergoing licensing problems. Once that crap clears up, how should TP re-release the manga?

* Right to left (something they WILL do)
* Rewriting of the translation (now that they have more and better-trained staff)
* New naming conventions (follow German convention - "Bunny" as a nickname for the main character, with Japanese names for all the rest)

I'm thinking of getting that and Cardcaptor Sakura for my currently 5-year old female cousin.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:28 pm

They should unflip it, pick one set of names and stick with them (preferably the Japanese), and fix the translation...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

baka::haruka
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by baka::haruka » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:50 pm

Right to left, original names, and fixed translations. That is all I will be happy with.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:56 pm

If they unflip it, use all original names and a more accurate translation, then I'll actually buy them all as opposed to the random ones I bought years ago when I saw them at Hot Topic once before the manga craze started.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:37 am

I agree with what everyone already stated. In the Mixx manga, it was really annoying with the inconsistant names.

ilovethesailorsenshi
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

my choice

Post by ilovethesailorsenshi » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:51 am

right to left and original japanese names (consistant attacks also)
... i dunno what to say, i''m sorry

(I''m more like hotaru... thus the avatar change)

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:05 am

It should be un-flipped, all of the Japanese names should be retained, the translation should be as accurate as possible, and the bindings should be the best quality that they can be. I have some of the flipped manga, and the bindings were so crappy that my copy of volume 18 fell completely apart and is beyond repair. :cry: It would also be nice if Tokyopop would include some sort of limited gifts with the unflipped manga, like stickers or bookmarks or something.

I'd also like to see boxes released for the different arcs of the manga. What I mean is rather than release the manga in box sets, they should release boxes to keep the manga in, like how ADV did with their Pretear DVD release or how Geneon did with their DVD release of Sugar. I just like the idea of having series' boxes to keep my manga in like I have for some of my anime because I think it makes it easier to carry when you're going on a car trip somewhere.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:37 pm

Oh man, I totally agree about the binding. a couple of my volumes are starting to come apart, hence the reason I don't read them much. I'm so afraid of breaking them.

I'd like to see a bigger book. The pocket mixx was a bit small for me. Other than that, I agree with everyone else. I'd just like to see it done right this time.

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:04 pm

I'd love it it they would just translate the 2nd edition manga (meaning using the new artwork), keeping it unflipped, using the origional names, and staying consistant. And I'm with Cardcaptor Takato on the box thing, I've lost most of my mixx manga T_T.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:10 pm

How should it be released? Immedeately and at no charge to the buyers! :D

But yes, I would like to see it unflipped and at typical manga size. But anything to get it back into the bookstores is a Good Thing, IMO.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:06 pm

I agree with all of you. I'd rebuy the entire series if they re-released it in the unflipped format and give my older copies to my sister.

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:33 pm

Yep, unflipped and with the original japanese names would be nice, and if they could leave the honorifics on the ends of names (like Haruka-san, Usagi-chan... like they did with the CCS re-releases) that would be great! It'd be nice if they could include translation notes at the end, explaining the significance of the characters names and such. Also using the new cover art and coming up with a better logo, closer to the japanese one, would be great as well. :)
~So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Rivalee
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Rivalee » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:03 pm

I also hope that the new release will be unflipped, the original-names, plus those name-honorifics + the binding. My first Sailor Moon-manga, vol 2, fell apart after 1½ day :cry: .
BTW, they gotta translate the Code name wa Sailor V-manga, too.
My youtube-account / My multiply-account

I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box. And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can´t put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I´d found the key to true happiness.
~Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I´m some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bad luck! I´m are suffering from Rivalee´s Syndrome.
Cause: thinking too hard
Symptoms: aphasia, vague gills, mildly squeaky voice, eyelid swelling
Cure: cryogenic freezing until science catches up

Mark91
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mark91 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:48 pm

Well, I own all the Japanese Manga and some of the english manga, and my number one want is for them to be bigger in size, more like Magic Knight Rayearth, or Cardcaptor Sakura. And most definaty in right to left format, but preferably in the North American Right to Left....the other kind is confusing. Also if they do I think the new Manga would be perfect to use like for the covers and stuff, and it would be cool if they kept the stickers in...extras are awesome 8)
Regarding the boxsets: It's an awesome idea, no arc is more than 4 volumes, plus like they did with MKR, these could include extra books*grin* Maybe the short stories?
I hope Tokyopop does get the rights, because they did awesome jobs with CCS and MKR, so I'm more than sure they can do an awesome job here.

Artemis Lover
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Artemis Lover » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:07 pm

Woah, that would be soooooo AWESOME! I think they should be flipped, which makes it easier for me to read, but I don't think they should change the names. They should also do a more accurate translation (AKA word-for-word as best they could, changing whatever we american/canadian/european/whatever I'm forgetting people may not understand about Japanese culture.) :D
“See this butt? Yeah. Look at it. LOOK AT MY BUTT. This is all you’re getting. MY BUTT to look at it. Yeah, bet you’re sorry now, aren’t you? You’d like to see my cute fuzzy face, wouldn’t you? But all you’re getting is the BUTT. LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT MY BUTT. Sucker.”
The thing is, Henrietta has—how can I put this? Kind of a big butt. If Henrietta were a celebrity? She’d be J-Lo.
Not that J-Lo has what I would call a big butt. But others have opined that this is so. I think J-Lo has a normal, healthy butt. As does Henrietta.
~Meg Cabot

Maikeru_100
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Location: On Earth...on North America...in the USA...in Colorado...in Lakewood

Post by Maikeru_100 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:04 pm

Personally I think that TokyoPop should let some other company do it, they butcher every book they get there hands on, but if they do re-release it they better get it right or they will fell the wrath of Maikeru_100

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:02 pm

I don't think Tokyopop is so bad; I have several Tokyopop series I've been quite happy with--Chobits, Comic Party, Battle Royale. It takes guts to put out something like Battle Royale, considering it has to be shrinkwrapped and can't be read in the stores and is supposed to be sold to adults only. Sailor Moon was just released by a young company with not enough market awareness.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:07 pm

Place it under the "100% Authentic Manga" line and give it minimal amount of edits (more like tweeks). No changes unless needed.

I wouldn't buy any manga from TP unless it was under the "100% Authentic Manga" label.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:06 am

I don't understand why you would want them to be bigger if you want them to be as close to the original manga as possible. The Japanese versions (including the reprinted ones) are exactly the same size as the ones Mixx put out.

Is Tokyopop really eager to reprint it? When did they say that? :o If they are, I would like:

1. Original SFX
2. Right to left
3. No cuts/censors
4. Accurate translations
5. Cultural notes if any?

I saw some other manga publishers whose manga included those Japanese jackets as well as color inserts. I think that'd be a cool treatment. :)

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:06 am

Mainly what I'd like:

Right to Left
Original translations
Japanese names
Volume format *not comic-book format*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06