Thanks DiC. =P

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

EternalSailorMoon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by EternalSailorMoon » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 pm

Sorry Tiff, I corrected my mistake. :(

Maha
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: Thanks DiC. =P

Post by Maha » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:27 pm

TheresaJ wrote:Some people say we should THANK DiC for bringing Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon here, even if they completely destroyed and mangled it.. Ok .. Whatever .. So, thank you DiC for:

* Turning Rei-chan into a complete [email protected]#%! who hates Usagi.
* Making the senshi sound like braindead Malibu mallrats
* Making Mamoru-san a complete jacka#$!
* Horrid lines like "You're meatloaf!" and "He's such a hunkmiester!"
* Naru-chan's awful Jersey voice ^^;

Thanks for nothing, DiC bastards. I can't believe some people.. :cry: Show your thanks to DiC, too. :twisted:
I cant stand DIC for what they did to the actual anime itself :evil: . and i can only stand the dub to a certain extent.. and trust me, its not that far of an extent either =D but yeah, if you think of the whole picture itself.. if they didnt bring it to the west in english, then we might not have known what sailormoon is or not hear of it until a later age.. not to mention, they wouldnt have sold these really need sailor moon sticker/cards here either ^^' so i guess we have to thank them to an extent.. even though, they made a lot of western people think that Sailormoon is for kids and only kids :( sigh.. ah well =\
~ The Moonlight Carries The Message of Love ~

EternalSailorMoon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by EternalSailorMoon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:10 pm

I cant stand DIC for what they did to the actual anime itself . and i can only stand the dub to a certain extent.. and trust me, its not that far of an extent either =D but yeah, if you think of the whole picture itself.. if they didnt bring it to the west in english, then we might not have known what sailormoon is or not hear of it until a later age.. not to mention, they wouldnt have sold these really need sailor moon sticker/cards here either ^^' so i guess we have to thank them to an extent.. even though, they made a lot of western people think that Sailormoon is for kids and only kids sigh.. ah well =\
Do you know that it wasn't Dic that made the show for kids and only for kids? the show was originaly made for kids, not only in the USA was sailor moon for kids but in Japan too was for kids.

Maha
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re:

Post by Maha » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:25 pm

EternalSailorMoon wrote:
I cant stand DIC for what they did to the actual anime itself . and i can only stand the dub to a certain extent.. and trust me, its not that far of an extent either =D but yeah, if you think of the whole picture itself.. if they didnt bring it to the west in english, then we might not have known what sailormoon is or not hear of it until a later age.. not to mention, they wouldnt have sold these really need sailor moon sticker/cards here either ^^' so i guess we have to thank them to an extent.. even though, they made a lot of western people think that Sailormoon is for kids and only kids sigh.. ah well =\

Do you know that it wasn't Dic that made the show for kids and only for kids? the show was originaly made for kids, not only in the USA was sailor moon for kids but in Japan too was for kids.
not according to what i read about sailormoon and its ratings :)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:42 pm

The US Version of Sailor Moon was dumbed down severely, and therefore, APPEALED to kids much younger than the Japanese version.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Maha
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Maha » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:46 pm

Tiff wrote:The US Version of Sailor Moon was dumbed down severely, and therefore, APPEALED to kids much younger than the Japanese version.
yeah, what she said ^^' thanks for clarifying that point =) i just dont think those kids in Us, who watch the dubbed, would understand everything if it was the japanese version's dialogue and how its all presented and done. *Shruggs*

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:01 pm

Tiff wrote:The US Version of Sailor Moon was dumbed down severely, and therefore, APPEALED to kids much younger than the Japanese version.
...whose manga ran in Nakayoshi, a magazine aimed towards 3 to 8 year old girls. The same audience, incidentally, the English version also appealed to, to some extent. I wouldn't say it's dumbed down as much as Optimum talked down to the North American audience.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:14 pm

Neo Dead Moon wrote:
...whose manga ran in Nakayoshi, a magazine aimed towards 3 to 8 year old girls. The same audience, incidentally, the English version also appealed to, to some extent. I wouldn't say it's dumbed down as much as Optimum talked down to the North American audience.
I didn't SAY that it wasn't aimed at little girls. I simply said that the US version APPEALED more to young kids than it did young adults, like the Japnaese version did.

and I'm talking about the ANIME. HUGE difference there. The Manga is way more mature than the anime, by far.

And according to a site I found:

"The word Nakayoshi traslates to good or best friend. Nakayoshi is a monthly magazine aimed at young girls around the ages 8-14, and costs around $5-6 an issue. "

8-14 years old. Not 3-8.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

OutPhase
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by OutPhase » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:32 pm

Tiff wrote:I didn't SAY that it wasn't aimed at little girls. I simply said that the US version APPEALED more to young kids than it did young adults, like the Japnaese version did.
How can it be more or less appealing to a younger age group if it was always aimed at children in the first place? You're either aimed for the younger audience or the older audience. No inbetween. It was never meant for teens, adults, etc. just children, hence why it's a children's show.

Also, didn't you once say that "it was meant for all ages" in a thread a while ago? Now you switched it to children, and that's called flip-flopping.

However, you can be aimed at a different age bracket. If you say kids, people normally refer to those between the ages of 3 to 12.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:41 pm

OutPhase wrote:
How can it be more or less appealing to a younger age group if it was always aimed at children in the first place? You're either aimed for the younger audience or the older audience. No inbetween. It was never meant for teens, adults, etc. just children, hence why it's a children's show.

Also, didn't you once say that "it was meant for all ages" in a thread a while ago? Now you switched it to children, and that's called flip-flopping.

However, you can be aimed at a different age bracket. If you say kids, people normally refer to those between the ages of 3 to 12.
A person can create a show/book with the intention of it being for a certain age group/gender/etc. But it doesn't always work out that way. Sailor Moon was supposed to be a girl's show, and look how many guys love it.

I could write a book intending it to be for girls 13-16, but I could be surprised if it appeals to girls over 16.

and good god, I never said it wasn't a kid's show. I simply said that the American version was more immature and childish. Which it is.

Again, you'r enot reading what I'm saying. I never said it wasn't meant to be a young girls show. But what I AM saying is that the american version ended up coming off as far more childish and immature.

And no, i've always said that it appealed to many different ages in Japan. APPEALED. And that's the truth.

Good god, I really didn't think what I said was that hard to understand.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

OutPhase
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by OutPhase » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:09 pm

Tiff wrote:Sailor Moon was supposed to be a girl's show
You just said in your last post:
I didn't SAY that it wasn't (Double negatives are FUUUUUUUN) aimed at little girls.
Well, make up your mind, Thane of Flip-Flopping.
I could write a book intending it to be for girls 13-16, but I could (woulda, coulda, shoulda) be surprised if it appeals to girls over 16.
You could be surprised, but then, you could not be surprised. Why don't you write a book aimed at such an age to find out?
and (I love starting out my sentence with a conjunction and not making the first word capitalized) good god (I believe in Baal or some other false idol, so no capitalizing "God" for me), I never said it wasn't a kid's show. I simply said that the American version was more immature and childish. (fuck commas) Which it is.
The Japanese version was also aimed at children. Look at Super S and how it seemed that they made most of the episodes for fun rather than plot development. Hell, I think that in a lot of ways it's just as immature in the Japanese version as in the American version.
Again, you'r e (HOW DO I USE SPACEBAR) not reading what I'm saying. I never said it wasn't meant to be a young girls show. But (I think I'll start me sentence with a conjunction AGAIN) what I AM saying is that the american version ended up coming off as far more childish and immature.
I would've understood your post if you backed up some damn reasons why it was more childish in the dub. Anyone can say "The Japanese version is more mature", but it would be more intelligent to back up your opinion instead of making it sound like you have the right to label it as a fact when it's cleanly someone else's opinion.

And (I like to start my sentences with conjunctions, even though that's grammatically incorrect) no, i've (caps-lock sucks lol) always said that it appealed to many different ages in Japan. APPEALED (I don't need a subject or predicate in my sentence, because the rules of proper English don't apply to me). And (Again hating proper grammer) that's the truth.
It's the same age audience in a different country. Back then, censorship was more lax overseas and because of said-lax censorship, it was aimed at a young audience when it would've been aimed at a pre-teen audience in the US, but they changed some dialog around for it to be aimed at the same age bracket here as it was in Japan.
Good god (I don't believe in the Lord because I typed "God" with a lower case letter), I really didn't think what I said was that hard to understand.
Well, it was for me, because your way of typing out your opinions seems crappy to me, but coherent to others, but then again, your grammar sucks, so big surprise there, Miss Murderer of the English Language.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Admin mode:

Good day, sir. You've been banned.

Oh, and Neo Dead Moon? You share the same IP. Which means you're the same person.

So not only are you banned for complete disrespect to a member, but for creating multiple accounts for the sheer purpose of being disrespectful.

Good day to you. And don't come back.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Blackat
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Location: The only place where you can find Kangaroos in your backyard.

Post by Blackat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:56 am

*claps* Yay for power! XD (silly people who don't think of IP adresses)

Back on topic -

I completely agree with you Tiff. Yes, it was aimed at a particular age and gender groups, but that doesn't mean people of other ages and guys can't watch/like it. Sometimes even little things appeal to certain age groups in a show, and that makes them want to keep watching it.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:54 am

Blackat wrote:*claps* Yay for power! XD (silly people who don't think of IP adresses)

Back on topic -

I completely agree with you Tiff. Yes, it was aimed at a particular age and gender groups, but that doesn't mean people of other ages and guys can't watch/like it. Sometimes even little things appeal to certain age groups in a show, and that makes them want to keep watching it.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:41 pm

IP logging is grand. =D
/Off Topic
OutPhase wrote:I would've understood your post if you backed up some damn reasons why it was more childish in the dub. Anyone can say "The Japanese version is more mature", but it would be more intelligent to back up your opinion instead of making it sound like you have the right to label it as a fact when it's cleanly someone else's opinion.
If it's alright with you, Tiff, I'd like to address this issue.

The American version is more childish because it refuses to give children any credit by removing references to death and same sex relationships. In that sense, they are also implying that parents aren't ready to handle the subjects either.

If the American dub contained all of the bits that were cut out, and it was still aimed at the same age range that it was in Japan, outrage would have been likely. It was rewritten to be less mature, and then it was aimed at the same general audience, young girls. They didn't talk down to anyone, they skirted the issues entirely. That would be a textbook example of "dumbing down."

I've worked in the theatre, and I know a few things about changing scripts and plot points for a specific audience. It's how production companies cover their asses.

Edit: Fixed a wording issue that I didn't catch the first time around. ^^;
Last edited by NameGoesHere on Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:IP logging is grand. =D
/Off Topic

If it's alright with you, Tiff, I'd like to address this issue.

The American version is more childish because it refuses to give children any credit by removing references to death and same sex relationships. In that sense, it also talks down to the parents of the children, by saying that they aren't ready to handle the subjects either.

If the American dub contained all of the bits that were cut out, and it was still aimed at the same age range that it was in Japan, outrage would have been likely. It was rewritten to be less mature, and then it was aimed at the same general audience, young girls. They didn't talk down to anyone, they skirted the issues entirely. That would be a textbook example of "dumbing down."

I've worked in the theatre, and I know a few things about changing scripts and plot points for a specific audience. It's how production companies cover their asses.
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I was referring to.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Let's get back on topic, guys ^^;
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Hikari no Senshi
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

There's more

Post by Hikari no Senshi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm

I want to thank DiC for butchering one of my hobbies/obsessions and putting useless slang into a Japanese cartoon show. Or was that Cloverway? While I thank them for bringing SM into America, I really doubt I'm going to watch the S/SuperS dubs, including in their false ''uncut'' verisons were adding removed scenes into its original state means ''uncut''.

:roll:

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Admin Mode:

Hikari no Senshi:

As per the rules, you must input your birthday into your profile before continuing to post here. Please do so immediately.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Matto
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

...=/

Post by Matto » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Boy, this thread is teeming with DiC hate. But people seem to blame them a bit too much. Optimum needs to be blamed more, they wrote the stupid scripts (even though some of scripts were kind of good), and picked some bad voices (I won't name people).

But think for a second, DiC had to do what they did. THEY were owned by Disney back then, and we have to give Andy Heyward credit for having the balls to dub Sailor Moon.

In fact, Sailor Moon is one of the better dubs around that time. Tracey Moore was a DiC regular with the Mario 3 and World cartoons, Susan Roman did a number of parts for them as well, and guess what? Tracey made a perfect english Usagi, Susan was Makoto, and I love the four Black Moon sisters inthe dub more then I do in the sub. Rubeus just ruled, and Roland was good with voice direction.