Which Senshi get's Shafted the most?

The amazing anime that this site is dedicated to.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MiyukiMoon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MiyukiMoon » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:18 pm

I don't think any senshi got shafted in the manga personally...

In the anime, I still think Saturn and Pluto got majorly screwed. Actually all of the Outer Senshi do after S. Besides the first 6 episodes, what do the Outers do in Stars? They complain about the Starlights a little, but never do they really STAR in an episode. Besides the UraNep 'turn evil' episode, they don't do anything memorable in Stars.

Really, the anime is the only forum this applies to, as the musicals don't shaft the Outers, and if it is still following the manga by S, PGSM wo't either.
CODENAME WA MOON PRISM POWER...
Tsuki no Hikari

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:52 pm

Everyone without a "Moon" in their name got shafted in the Stars manga, the Senshi shooting gallery that it was...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:49 pm

Dinozore wrote:Everyone without a "Moon" in their name got shafted in the Stars manga, the Senshi shooting gallery that it was...
Amen. Even the Starlights and the Princess where left behind...[spoiler]we never found out whatever happened to them after they were reborn from the Cauldron, do we?[/spoiler]
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

MiyukiMoon
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MiyukiMoon » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:59 pm

That's because the Stars manga was meant to center around Naoko's favorite character: Usagi
CODENAME WA MOON PRISM POWER...
Tsuki no Hikari

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:03 pm

Ami, Rei, Makoto, AND Minako after R. Why? Aside from a couple of filler episodes a season, and only ONE new attack each for the duration of the series, they did practically nothing. They never became eternal, did nothing in the final battles besides being used as shields, never played a major part in later season plots (aside from Rei in S), and they all have the power of a declawed kitten even after turning into Super Sailor Senshi.

Saturn and Pluto were also screwed over, as well.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:38 pm

Well I sorta agree. I noticed throughout the anime the inner senshi's attacks aren't effective or are used as a distraction more often than they actually HURT an enemy.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:09 pm

I personly don't think any senshi got "the shaft" in the anime or manga. All the senshi served their purpose. As a friend said to me the only flaw about the Sailor Moon series in general is that it would have been more interesting if it constantly centered around Usagi, everything from her point of view and never straying. Characters would have been more interesting and mysterious, there wouldn't have been as much dramatic irony, and readers/viewers would have been more interested. Think the view point of Harry Potter, it always follows around Harry, reader only knows what Harry knows, the enemy is usually mysterious until the end of the book (with the exception of 5).
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:23 pm

The Inners got royally screwed over from S onwards. Most of the time, they only made token appearances early in the episode (this is even more noticeable in SuperS, where I originally noticed it), and they missed two forms and about two attacks each from their manga counterparts.

Basically, everyone without "Moon" in their name got shafted in the anime (possibly excepting the Starlights. Haven't watched enough of Stars to tell)
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:39 pm

I think Kakyuu got ignored (and there was no chance to NOT make her seem overly perfect). It would've been more interesting to at LEAST show her Senshi form from the manga. That's why I think she's the most neglected SENSHI because her Senshi form was never shown.

Though, in a way, even though she's not there, she's EXTREMELY important to the plot of SailorStars because she's the Three Lights' goal. Without her, there would be an incredibly different story.

In response to KoinoVash, I disagree. As with other magical girl team shows (like MKR andn Tokyo Mew Mew), instead of having one star, I think ALL the Senshi should've had equal billing. In fact, it could've been done with these changes:
1) Called "Bishoujo Sailor Senshi"
2) All 10 main characters introduced in the first season (Chibi-Usa-sama and the Starlights could be saved for later)
3) Pluto could be mysterious without guarding time (Chibi-Usa-sama could time travel with the Silver Crystal) and Sailor Saturn gets to attack without killing herself.

I especially wish Pluto hadn't been stuck at the Time Gates...it's not like she was very useful if the Black Moon family could time travel to the past to follow Chibi-Usa-sama.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:36 pm

That's one of the things I hated about the R season. How Sailor Pluto never did much of anything. They could've at least have her help the Senshi fight that monster they battled against before they reached the gate of time.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:29 pm

-_-; even though the show's been done and over with for years...I really doubt it matters now whether or not Pluto could have not guarded the gates of time or if the inners could have had more screen time.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:01 am

Yeah, but now we have PGSM, so we should hope they won't make the same mistake they made before with the anime.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:21 pm

Since PGSM is following the manga more than anime, I wouldn't worry about that. If it even goes that far....
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:07 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Yeah, but now we have PGSM, so we should hope they won't make the same mistake they made before with the anime.
o_O; not like you could do anything about that if they did...and what mistake?? Giving mercury "the shaft"? That's an opinion.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:18 pm

Tiff wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Yeah, but now we have PGSM, so we should hope they won't make the same mistake they made before with the anime.
o_O; not like you could do anything about that if they did...and what mistake?? Giving mercury "the shaft"? That's an opinion.
1) It's fun to speculate and wonder "what if?" I know I can't change the canon show. Saying something "should've" happened doesn't mean that it's true. I wouldn't be wishing for it in the first place if it were true.
2) He/she didn't say that we have control over the PGSM show. He probably meant that since there IS a new Sailor Moon show that's a whole new version, there can be hope that some portrayals of characters might be different.
3) And it's someone's opinion that Mercury being "neglected" was a mistake.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:05 am

Rainbow wrote: 1) It's fun to speculate and wonder "what if?" I know I can't change the canon show. Saying something "should've" happened doesn't mean that it's true. I wouldn't be wishing for it in the first place if it were true.
2) He/she didn't say that we have control over the PGSM show. He probably meant that since there IS a new Sailor Moon show that's a whole new version, there can be hope that some portrayals of characters might be different.
3) And it's someone's opinion that Mercury being "neglected" was a mistake.
1) good for you. I don't care to take tiem to wonder these things.
2) I never said he did. Don't assume.
3) Um, which is why I said "THAT'S AN OPINION".

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:53 pm

It definietly has to be Tuxedo Mask. After the first season, he just.... disappeared (not literally). Sailor Saturn had more screen time than him (hint: sarcasm)
My favourite Cardcaptor Sakura quote *contains spoilers*:

Sakura: I love you Yukito-san!
Yukito: I love you too, but the one you love most isn''t me.
Sakura: *looks confused*
Yukito: You love your father right?
Sakura: Yes.
Yukito: And what about me?
Sakura: I love you.
Yukito: Aren''t the feelings quite similar?
Sakura: *realizes* They are. You have known for awhile haven''t you?
Yukito: Yes, you have always loved me as if I were a part of your family and I am grateful for that.
Sakura: Is there someone you love?
Yukito: Yes
Sakura: Is it..brother? (Touya)
Yukito: *eyes widen and then he smiles* Yes, I don''''t know what I would do without Toya. He made sure I didn''''t disappear.
Sakura: I''m sure he loves you too! He did everything to make sure you didn''t disappear! But if brother ever does anything to hurt my dearest Yukito-san, I will teacher him a lesson!
Yukito: *puts hand on her cheek* Thank you, Sakura-chan. When you find the one you love, if he ever hurts you, I will teach him a lesson.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm

sailor_moon_R wrote:It definietly has to be Tuxedo Mask. After the first season, he just.... disappeared (not literally). Sailor Saturn had more screen time than him (hint: sarcasm)
Tuxedo Mask isn't technically a senshi. And he never disappeared o.O He appeared at every one of sailor moon's battles, just about. And the entire Nehelenia arc centers around him.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:10 am

It's been some time since I had the mangas in front of me, but I always thought Ami/Mercury got shafted pretty badly in the manga-to-anime transition. It's almost as though the show's writers took a handful of her traits and molded her around them, which made her a far more shallow character than she is in the manga, IMHO.

Also, as far as Mamoru/Tux is concerned, his anime incarnation is what happens when the writers dislike a character. He really did get shafted quite badly because the writers had no clue what to do with him beyond what they'd already done. (I have a ref somewhere on TVtropes, but the page I found most of that on has been buried, and I can't find it again for the life of me!)
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

sailor_moon_R
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailor_moon_R » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:05 am

Tiff wrote:
sailor_moon_R wrote:It definietly has to be Tuxedo Mask. After the first season, he just.... disappeared (not literally). Sailor Saturn had more screen time than him (hint: sarcasm)
Tuxedo Mask isn't technically a senshi. And he never disappeared o.O He appeared at every one of sailor moon's battles, just about. And the entire Nehelenia arc centers around him.
True, but it is kinda of a metaphor because his importance does decrease dramatically after the first season. He becomes 'that guy that helps sailor moon when she's in trouble'. I also wasn't even thinking of sailor stars... thanks for the reminder:) And I know he isnt a senshi, but I saw some other people on this topic post about him too, and I felt the same, so I had to follow suit:)
My favourite Cardcaptor Sakura quote *contains spoilers*:

Sakura: I love you Yukito-san!
Yukito: I love you too, but the one you love most isn''t me.
Sakura: *looks confused*
Yukito: You love your father right?
Sakura: Yes.
Yukito: And what about me?
Sakura: I love you.
Yukito: Aren''t the feelings quite similar?
Sakura: *realizes* They are. You have known for awhile haven''t you?
Yukito: Yes, you have always loved me as if I were a part of your family and I am grateful for that.
Sakura: Is there someone you love?
Yukito: Yes
Sakura: Is it..brother? (Touya)
Yukito: *eyes widen and then he smiles* Yes, I don''''t know what I would do without Toya. He made sure I didn''''t disappear.
Sakura: I''m sure he loves you too! He did everything to make sure you didn''t disappear! But if brother ever does anything to hurt my dearest Yukito-san, I will teacher him a lesson!
Yukito: *puts hand on her cheek* Thank you, Sakura-chan. When you find the one you love, if he ever hurts you, I will teach him a lesson.