Geneon Losing License to the Movies

When news is posted to the site, a thread will be created here for discussion on that news item.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Sailor Moon Movies License to expire

Post by sailor53 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:44 pm

According to Geneon their Sailor Moon Movies license will expire at the end of this year. The license will not renewable. So if you haven't already bought the movies now would be a good time to. :wink:
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:23 pm

What the bloody hell? o.o

Is Sailor Moon just about DEAD in America?

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:51 pm

Umino wrote:What the bloody hell? o.o

Is Sailor Moon just about DEAD in America?
Well, the thing did start about 12 years ago, and unless Toei decides to let someone license Stars I don't think there's anything left to bring over...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:38 pm

That's disappointing. Just like Dan mentioned earlier, I too, also suspected that Geneon only had the rights for another year. Now in this case, less than a year :(

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:37 pm

<--- Is eagerly awaiting SOS's response just to make fun of it. Nothing, nothing will compare to the sheer stupidity of whatever bright idea they dream up of.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:55 am

Aya Reiko wrote:<--- Is eagerly awaiting SOS's response just to make fun of it. Nothing, nothing will compare to the sheer stupidity of whatever bright idea they dream up of.
I'm guessing it'd invole buying the Luna P Toys. Even though their aren't being made anymore...

The Moonie
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by The Moonie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:49 am

The final nail in the sailorm moon coffin. Who cares there's still the live action and stuff.
My gardian Jupiter
Brew a storm
Call the cloud
Bring down lighting
Supreme Thunder

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:54 am

This is why I don't like leaving my house, don't do the normal site going for a day and stuff like this happens. >.< At least now is the perfect time for me to use the Admin Center for one of the reasons I made it, to do updates and such without being home. News article with news thread (to be merged with this one) to be up within a half hour.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Geneon Losing License to the Movies

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:32 am

http://www.smuncensored.com/news.php?id=69
In Anime Boston this weekend, Geneon has publically stated that the contract to the three Sailor Moon movies will end when this year ends. December 31, 2004 will be the final day of the contract, and the movies will immediately go to out of print status. While copies might remain in stores after this date, once they're gone, they're gone. Geneon stated that the Sailor Moon licenses are non-renewable, thus confirming that when any license regarding Sailor Moon is set to end, it will end. This announcement does not regard the S and SuperS seasons however, as they are on a different contract that the movies are on. While I'm sure the license to those two seasons will end within two years, the actual day this will happen is not known at this time. If anyone wants to buy Sailor Moon releases in America, time is running out.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:38 am

The Moonie wrote:The final nail in the sailorm moon coffin. Who cares there's still the live action and stuff.
There's still one more nail, the S and SuperS seasons. I'm guessing they'll be done a year after the movies, since the two seasons were acquired a year after the movies.

This is sad indeed, another part of the Sailor Moon saga will be taken away from us. I'm just glad that Geneon did a good job on the movie releases and is doing what they can to get as many as they can sold before the license expires.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:58 am

I'm really not that upset about this. As much as I love Sailor Moon, I think it's time for it to go. It's fanbase as of now is almost strictly people like us. It doesn't sell well anymore because it's not popular. I think it's time to let something else come. All good things must come to an end, right?
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:07 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:I'm really not that upset about this. As much as I love Sailor Moon, I think it's time for it to go. It's fanbase as of now is almost strictly people like us. It doesn't sell well anymore because it's not popular. I think it's time to let something else come. All good things must come to an end, right?
Yeah, i'm in agreement there. I mean, it's a pretty old show, and as much as I hate to say it, there are newer and better things out there. Sailor Moon will always have a place in my heart, becuase it re-introduced me to anime when I was older, and it's a wonderful show. We can continue to do SMU, and have forums like this, and have fansites and the like....and even PGSM can give us joy like the show did. But I mean...let's put the damn show to rest.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:32 pm

I'm actually kind of dissappointed in this...I already have the official subbed versions of the Sailor Moon movies, but I was planning to buy the DVDs for them as I was planning on re-buying all my VHS tapes onto DVD. I at least might get the Sailor Moon Supers movie as I don't actually have that on VHS, but on VCD and I'd like to have a legimate copy of that....I'll have to buy it pretty quickly then, so it seems. At least I managed to buy the Sailor Moon R movie on DVD.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:13 pm

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with a lot of you on this point. Yes, Sailor Moon is an old show. Yes, it's had it's run, and yes, it will always remain in the hearts of its true fans...but there's plenty of worse quality shows out there that are STILL being published on a yearly basis with no problem. I honestly don't see why things like "The Irresponsible Captain Taylor", while funny but with nowhere near the fanbase of Sailor Moon, continues to be licensed and produced, while Sailor Moon enjoys a mere two, maybe three odd years of publishing existance.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:30 pm

I agree with Starscream's post, Sailor Moon has so much more going for it than a lot of series' over here. While I agree that all good things must come to an end, I think that it's too early for Sailor Moon to end here in America. It will have only been here ~10 years, around half of them being just the DiC dub. Sailor Moon really picked up the pace here the past few years and with there still being another season left to come over, still has great potential to do so much more.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:38 pm

I think you're getting the wrong idea from my words...if I had it my way, i'd make sure there were DVDs of each season, and that more people had the chance to see it (in its original format, of course ^_~). But at the same time, I'm not going to be upset and angry over this...becuase it happens eventually. It's sad that it has to happen already, but...*shrug* I dunno. I guess I'm just not letting it upset me as much as other people. Quite honestly, I guess I'm not seeing the "huge fanbase" you guys are talking so much about. When I mention Sailor Moon to anyone, 9 times out of 10 I get a "Ugh, I hate that show" kind of reply. It's getting harder and harder to find people who will sit down and give it a chance, at least, it's hard around here. Most people either judge it immediately by what they caught a glimpse of on cartoon network, or simply by the fact that it's old or is "for girls". I don't think the magical girl genre is as popular as it used to be, IMO.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Luchia Nanami
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Luchia Nanami » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:39 pm

Gee what a surprise. I was right on Geneon being next to lose US SM and about the elitists being glad its gone.

So what if its old? Does that mean future fans shouldn't be allowed to buy it? This is why they do game remakes so people who missed it long ago can join in the fun now. SM is alot bigger and more well known then about 80-90% of all other anime released in the US so it will always find fans new and old.

Oh wait. No it won't find fans. Not for much longer anyway. Unless DiC themselves re-release it which is unlikely.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:56 pm

Luchia Nanami wrote:Gee what a surprise. I was right on Geneon being next to lose US SM and about the elitists being glad its gone.

So what if its old? Does that mean future fans shouldn't be allowed to buy it? This is why they do game remakes so people who missed it long ago can join in the fun now. SM is alot bigger and more well known then about 80-90% of all other anime released in the US so it will always find fans new and old.

Oh wait. No it won't find fans. Not for much longer anyway. Unless DiC themselves re-release it which is unlikely.
Okay, No. Who the bloody hell said they were GLAD it was gone? Not a fucking one of us.

You know what I"m so god damned tired of? People not reading a god damned thing I, or much of anyone else, writes. We made the point that it was old, and that eventually this sort of thing happens, and so it was no surprise. Where the HELL did you get "oh, we're glad it's gone! oh, nobody else should enjoy it"?!

I don't care if anybody thinks i'm going overboard. I'm SICK of it. Read the words, or don't even bother responding.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Lucied
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lucied » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:31 pm

Ack, this sucks, but at least Geneon told us 8 months ahead of time so those of us who don't have the movies can still get em, unlike ADV, who tells us half a month before x_x
"I am the black mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!" - Black mage, 8-bit theatre

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:57 am

Tiff wrote:I don't think the magical girl genre is as popular as it used to be, IMO.
Has the magical girl genre ever been popular in the U.S....?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"