Geneon Losing License to the Movies

When news is posted to the site, a thread will be created here for discussion on that news item.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:22 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Tiff wrote:I don't think the magical girl genre is as popular as it used to be, IMO.
Has the magical girl genre ever been popular in the U.S....?
Well, if you think about it, yes. First, Sailor Moon was blasted all over Cartoon Network, and they even went as far as to call it a "magical girl show" on Toonami. Cardcaptors was on the WB at the same time, also a magical girl show. Then, let's not forget The Powerpuff Girls, which was and still is america's own "magical girl" show. Then we had releases of Pretty Sammy, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and other magical girl shows in the stores, mostly on VHS.

Is that enough background knowledge for me to say that the magical girl genre once had its time in the light here?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

bewitchingchild
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bewitchingchild » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:00 pm

uhhhhh... BUT i will always miss my meatball head.... snifff... so technicallly... what do they mean they cant renew them? does that mean that geneon will never be able t distribute it again? ever? will another company be alowed to pick it up? and lets face it-the chances of an american release of pgsm are really slim, so does that mean that the only legitimate sm in the us will be the s and supers dvds??? oh god...
~why arent show slike scooby doo ever ending?

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:38 pm

Tiff wrote:
Luchia Nanami wrote:Gee what a surprise. I was right on Geneon being next to lose US SM and about the elitists being glad its gone.

So what if its old? Does that mean future fans shouldn't be allowed to buy it? This is why they do game remakes so people who missed it long ago can join in the fun now. SM is alot bigger and more well known then about 80-90% of all other anime released in the US so it will always find fans new and old.

Oh wait. No it won't find fans. Not for much longer anyway. Unless DiC themselves re-release it which is unlikely.
Okay, No. Who the bloody hell said they were GLAD it was gone? Not a fucking one of us.

You know what I"m so god damned tired of? People not reading a god damned thing I, or much of anyone else, writes. We made the point that it was old, and that eventually this sort of thing happens, and so it was no surprise. Where the HELL did you get "oh, we're glad it's gone! oh, nobody else should enjoy it"?!

I don't care if anybody thinks i'm going overboard. I'm SICK of it. Read the words, or don't even bother responding.
I have to agree with Tiffu, here. I never said I was glad it was gonna be gone. I said that I wasn't upset over it. Sailor Moon has had a successful (IMO) run in the United States. But, as sales of ADV's boxsets showed, the fanbase has slimmed. Perhaps, if Geneon's S and SuperS boxes sell well, they might try harder for Stars, or even PGSM (though I doubt they'll acquire the rights to either). I want Sailor Moon to still be available. But I also want to give a chance to something new, something that will come along and, like Sailor Moon did, help reshape the status of anime in America. Sailor Moon isn't really gaining new fans, not like it used to. Tiffu mentions it, and hears "Ugh, I hate it." I mention it, and I hear "Do wha? What's that?" I'm just not letting this bother me, I'm in now way glad about it.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:27 am

Tiff wrote:
Well, if you think about it, yes. First, Sailor Moon was blasted all over Cartoon Network, and they even went as far as to call it a "magical girl show" on Toonami. Cardcaptors was on the WB at the same time, also a magical girl show. Then, let's not forget The Powerpuff Girls, which was and still is america's own "magical girl" show. Then we had releases of Pretty Sammy, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and other magical girl shows in the stores, mostly on VHS.

Is that enough background knowledge for me to say that the magical girl genre once had its time in the light here?
I was being sarcastic since America seems to believe that the only people who watch anime are boys. On a side note, I wouldn't really call "Cardcaptors" a magical girl anime. Cardcaptor Sakura, yes, is indeed a magical girl anime, but Nelvana tried to aim "Cardcaptors" at boys instead of girls and made so many changes that it's not even the same show anymore, but that's a whole 'nother topic on it's own.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:46 pm

I think it's kind of sad, though not for myself specifically, since I have at least raw versions of almost all 200 episodes. But it's sad because, so far as I can tell, I just recently converted my cousin Sara into being a Sailor Moon fan, and she'll have a hard time with her new interest if it's going to go out of the stores like that. Of course, I can always share my copies of episodes and my fandub with her, but that's just not the same as having it for your very own.

The reason I empathize with her (wow, ME empathize with someone!) is because for me, it's only been recently with my anime interest that the shows I've liked were actually on TV and in stores. Since I've never really watched as much TV as most people (though I do watch a few shows I like, such as The Simpsons), I've often had to search for things in video rental stores and garage sales, etc. So I don't want Sara to have the same sort of fate with her new interest in Sailor Moon.

On the other hand, I can understand why it's being "killed in America," so to speak. So far as I can tell, it's NOT that popular, except with its die-hard fanbase, even though that fanbase can still grow to accept new members (like my cousin). Also, Toei won't let SailorStars come over to America anyway, so there's not much left to release except for the SuperS specials. I also find it amusingly ironic that Sailor Moon in America is dying out just as in Japan there's a whole new life for it--as the live-action show. Makes me wonder if the live-action will ever get here? Or maybe some other company will end up with the Sailor Moon show and all its movies and specials. Who knows? I don't think it can be written off as being dead yet, as long as it's not completely out of print in Japan.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Luchia Nanami
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Luchia Nanami » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:27 pm

What's a tiffu? Sounds like tissue! But...:?: :P

Anyhow Geneon must really be losing S & SS soon cause a SS thinpak boxset is set for August before all of SS was even Sig Series. Sheesh. I give them a year at most.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:43 pm

Luchia Nanami wrote:What's a tiffu? Sounds like tissue! But...:?: :P

It's what my friends call me. Tiff. Tiffu. It's Tiff with a "u" added to it. Get it now?

And do not take what I say and twist it again.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Luchia Nanami
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Luchia Nanami » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:24 am

I twist nothing! (except twist ties on my bread!)