ADV to Lose SM Liscense (March 11, 2004)

When news is posted to the site, a thread will be created here for discussion on that news item.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

ADV to Lose SM Liscense (March 11, 2004)

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:09 pm

http://www.smuncensored.com/news.php?id=67
It's been running around the rumor mill lately the possibility of ADV losing the rights to the first two seasons of Sailor Moon. It was first suspected to be the case with the huge price reductions of the uncut boxes in various retailers, but now there's some offical backing from retailers. They say that ADV has told them that they lose their Sailor Moon liscense on March 31st, 2004, and that their products will move to out of print (OOP) status.

How does a company lose a liscense to a feature they only held for less than two years (remember they had rights a year before the boxes came out)? While the contract of uncut Sailor Moon and ADV was pretty much unknown, it can now be verified that ADV had sub-liscensed the uncut seasons through DiC. As some may be aware, DiC's contract with Sailor Moon in the states was to end in 2002, but was renewed for two more years in the fall of 2001. Two years have passed by, and from the looks of it, no renewal will take place. When DiC's contract runs out on March 31st, ADV's contract also directly ends which means no more ADV Sailor Moon products. DiC and/or ADV has yet to offically say anything, though it wouldn't suprise me if they don't until after the contract ends. If anyone wants to purchase ADV's Sailor Moon products, hurry up and get them as they won't be around much longer. On a side note, this only has to do with DiC and ADV, Geneon and Cloverway have nothing to do with this contract therefore the second two seasons and movies are not afected by this news.
Last edited by MarioKnight on Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:12 pm

So what does it really mean to lose a license? Why won't the other anime get to lose a license? I don't see any other product getting the OOP status. :cry: But does this mean that fansubs of Sailormoon will be available again since it's not licensed?

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:12 pm

My take on this? With the shit treatment they gave the seasons and poor mamagement of replacements (especially season one), I hope that this really does happen so fansubs of these seasons can be distributed again. At least the fansubs are of better quality and if something happens to them between the distro and customer, the distro tries to rememdy the situation even if it's not their fault. The end of this month will be sweet. ^_^

Edit a few minutes later: Damn you're fast. @[email protected]
Sakyua wrote:So what does it really mean to lose a license? Why won't the other anime get to lose a license? I don't see any other product getting the OOP status. :cry: But does this mean that fansubs of Sailormoon will be available again since it's not licensed?
Like I said, this should give the greenlight for fansubs. Other anime have their own contracts, Sailor Moon's just happens to have a liscense based on time. I can't really say more on that since I don't know how these things work. I wouldn't worry about other anime though.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:17 pm

Well, even if it goes out of print, there are always the bootleg ones right? They're really cheaper, have a good boxset design, and they're just a copy of ADV's release. They'll probably be there a long time.

Now, it would be good if another company can release the individual DVDs. Perhaps they can remaster them? But that's impossible because who would bother making another release? :roll: I wonder why bootleggers haven't copied the Japanese Sailormoon DVDs yet and released them for a cheaper price? :?

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:01 pm

Crappily done though they are, I am still glad I bought them as soon as they came out. I wouldn't have been able to get to see the first two seasons as they originally were any other way were it not for these releases.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:12 pm

Does this mean someone like Geneon MIGHT pick up the licenses for the first two seasons? It may be possible, therefore, that THEY may be better able to coordinate something with Toei so that we get the quality that the R2 DVDs have...

Of course, of those licenses are untouchable for whatever reason, then this idea goes out the window as well...
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:28 pm

I find it highly unlikely anyone will be able to pick up the first two seasons. Toei is one of the tougher companies to work out deals with, possibly the worst, and considering this occuring at all (I wonder if DiC tried to extend the contract again or not), them not letting Stars come over here, AND the possibility of Geneon losing their liscense, I would say that Toei wants to give SM in the US a break, much like what they have done to their shows in Japan.

To clarify the Geneon comment above, Geneon has said in the recent past that they might lose their liscense and are working to extend it. No timeframe was given or anything, though I'm sure they have at least a year left since they probably wouldn't bother rereleasing their Sailor Moon products if it was anytime soon, though that is admittedly speculation on my part. I would also assume that if they were unable to extend their contract, that they would actually announce it, as they've already told us of the possibility of it happening, unlike ADV who is saying nothing at all about their contract ending in a few weeks.

I will never understand why Sailor Moon has all this bullshit going around the liscensing issues over here. :roll:
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:31 pm

http://www.smuncensored.com/news.php?id=67
Update a few hours later: ADV has posted the following announcement on their site:

ADV Films today announced that the first 86 episodes of the original Sailor Moon television series will no longer be available in the U.S. on home video after April 1, 2004. Although the response of the fans and sales of this video series in both the dubbed- and uncut-subtitled format have been tremendously successful, the creators of the program have decided against continuing the availability of the home video in the U.S. at this time. All episodes released under ADV Films will remain available for sale in retail outlets and via the company website.
Last edited by MarioKnight on Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:31 pm

Only the first 86 episodes? Why wouldn't the announcement inculde up to 89? :?
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:35 pm

Because they're bad with numbers. Another Sailor Moon example of their bad numbers is when they initially announced the replacement program for the second box, they mentioned that the bad audio was in episode 67, where they eventually fixed their error.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:39 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, I agree with you about them being bad with numbers. :wink:
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:24 pm

You know what I'm dreading? Not who, if anyone, will get the license now.

No, what I'm dreading is what idiotic statement SOS is going to make about this situation. :roll:
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:43 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:You know what I'm dreading? Not who, if anyone, will get the license now.

No, what I'm dreading is what idiotic statement SOS is going to make about this situation. :roll:
*rolls eyes* it'll just be another excuse for them to "petition" another company to get the rights, and if another company does, they'll say it was allll becuase of SOS's efforts.

And Im not sure what to feel about this. i really don't feel anything. I've seen every season but SMSS and R subbed, and I'm going to get R soon, and I HAVE SMSS on VCD, just haven't gotten around to finishing it. So I don't really care *shrugs*

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Lucied
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lucied » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:00 pm

So this means I've only got 20 days left to buy the R boxset, or else I can never buy it again? @[email protected]

I am not buying ANYTHING else until I get that set now >_<
"I am the black mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!" - Black mage, 8-bit theatre

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:11 pm

Well, it'll be availble after the end of the month, it's just that once the supply runs out, it's gone for good. So the sooner the better for finding them.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:48 am

...No more products?...*looks at checking and savings account and notices he has no job*...DAMMIT! >_<

Even at 40$ or whatever online, I have no holiday to use to get my parents to buy it for me T_T

Well, I do have 20 days to find a job and get enough money to buy the R season. Gotta keep high hopes ><
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:17 pm

Tell them it is a Saint Patrick's Day present. It might work. Or they just might laugh at you.

Chibi Son Gokou
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Chibi Son Gokou » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:40 pm

Kuso!!! Good thing I'm going to the anime store in Orlando tomarrow. I've been wanting to get the first season on DVD, but I can't find an online retailer that accepts checks and are cheap. Amazon.com only accepts checks on the products that are on display. They only accept credit cards for everything else. So that means the only Sailor Moon Season 1 boxset I could get costed around 132 dollars! Only place online I know that actually sells them cheap and accepts checks is ebay but I'm having trouble getting an account with them.
(Voice done by Masako Nozawa)

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:34 am

MarioKnight wrote:
Sakyua wrote:So what does it really mean to lose a license? Why won't the other anime get to lose a license? I don't see any other product getting the OOP status. :cry: But does this mean that fansubs of Sailormoon will be available again since it's not licensed?
Like I said, this should give the greenlight for fansubs. Other anime have their own contracts, Sailor Moon's just happens to have a liscense based on time. I can't really say more on that since I don't know how these things work. I wouldn't worry about other anime though.
This is going to be something unprecedented. Never has a series so high on the general fanbase's radar return to being unlicenced. This should get interesting...
Sakuya wrote:Well, even if it goes out of print, there are always the bootleg ones right? They're really cheaper, have a good boxset design, and they're just a copy of ADV's release. They'll probably be there a long time.

Now, it would be good if another company can release the individual DVDs. Perhaps they can remaster them? But that's impossible because who would bother making another release? :roll: I wonder why bootleggers haven't copied the Japanese Sailormoon DVDs yet and released them for a cheaper price? :?
Don't buy bootleg! You don't even want to know about the truth about bootlegs. Buy the R1. If not that, buy the R2. That way, you're monetary support goes where it supposed to, not to...
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Chibi Son Gokou
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Chibi Son Gokou » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:28 pm

Yay, I got my copy today! ^^ although it costed around 116 bucks. I had around 465 dollars in checking and I could have gotten both the classic series and R, but I didn't want to blow all my money on Sailor Moon episodes, especially considering the fact that I owe my mom 200 dollars for monthly expenses pretty soon.

The only thing I don't like about it though is the sound quality. I believe ADV chose to keep it in monotone cause I sure had to turn up the volume a LOT to hear anything, plus it sounded like it was really old. Not that it was a defunct DVD or anything because the ADV previews had perfect sound quality. It was kind of wierd watching the first few episodes though after watching some episodes of Sailor Stars because the first few episodes looked very VERY old, and apparently the art style improves dramatically throughout the series.
(Voice done by Masako Nozawa)