Signature Rule Addition. ALL MEMBERS READ.

This is the place where all major announcements are posted. It is required that all new users look through these and follow through with what they say and such. Current users should have already seen what's in here and must be sure to check when anything is added.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Signature Rule Addition. ALL MEMBERS READ.

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue May 18, 2004 1:29 am

There has been a change in the rules concerning signatures.

Before there was a 300 character limit for signatures, now there is a 5000 character limit. The rule now states this:

Images are not permitted in signatures. There is no need for them and they just take up space and suck up bandwidth anyways. There is a very loose limit on characters in a signature. However, we expect all members to have a signature that DOES NOT take up much space. If your signature becomes too lengthy, please change the size of your font so that your signature takes up less room. Failure to abide by this may result in a warning or temporary ban. Discretion is given to the admins to decide what is appropriate and what is not.

In other words, your signatures can now be rather lengthy, however if you decide to do this YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FONT SIZE SMALLER. Look at my signature as an example.

Failure to abide by this rule will NOT BE TOLERATED. This is a privelage that we are giving you as members. We expect each and every one of you to respect this board and respect us, the mods. If a member abuses this privelage they will either be warned, temporary banned, or possibly permanently banned. Deciding what is appropriate size/length of a signature is 100% at the discretion of the mods. Our judgement in the matter is final. If you're afraid that your sig might be too long, then you might want to consider reducing its size. A good rule of thumb is if it is over 5 lines of text, make the font size smaller. If it's over 15 lines of text, it's probably too long, period.

Now, with that said, have fun with your new sig freedom. =)

TBA

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue May 18, 2004 1:34 am

We have 5000-word signatures...

but the avatars still have to be insanely small...

Yay.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 18, 2004 1:37 am

Dinozore wrote:We have 5000-word signatures...

but the avatars still have to be insanely small...

Yay.
Wow. That was needlessly sarcastic.

Perhaps if you had requested larger avatar restrictions in an intelligent and polite manner, we would actually honor that request.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue May 18, 2004 2:02 am

First off it's 5000 characters, 5000 words and 5000 characters is a HUGE difference. Bob made the change in size to allow for more content in signatires in smaller spaces so that way bigger sigs can be allowed provided they don't take up much visual space on here. The extra text hardly affects the bandwidth at all.

Second off, this is not the case with avatars. Images take up much more space and use more bandwidth, therefore a size increase needs more caution in making a decision on it. Load time for pages is more determined by images than by normal text, which is why this is kept into careful consideration when deciding the limitations of graphics. Not to mention, this site and forums are run off a server sitting next to my desk on a cable modem with a lot of stuff going through it than just phobos itself, which means another factor to keep into consideration. Maybe someday I'll increase the avatar size and such a bit, but if smartass remarks such as that are made often (which you do make often), that day is less likely to come.

Forums are meant for discussion, not for pretty pictures and that shit. It's more important for the actual content, which is why limitations are set, so that the actual content can be accessed within a timely manner. Which would you rather see, forums like here with some restrictions but decent load times and easy to see content, or forums with no restrictions with images of all sizes on a page that takes a long time to load and hard to find content with having to wait a long time for the images to load before you can even SEE that content?

The usage of these forums is free, therefore unless something here is unusable, such as bugs that prevent posting or viewing them, you shouldn't be bitching about something not as good as you would like. Be happy I give as much options as I do, I could just only let people select avatars from a gallery on the site instead of uploading them, or even not at all. If you want to go to forums with basically no restrictions on what you do for avatar and other image sizes, then head on over to the Genvid forums and pay then $5 for an account there so you can focus on all the pretty stuff you want to there (I'm not knocking Genvid, I love using their forums, I'm just using how they do things as an example), but for a free service such as this, be happy with what you have instead of being a smartass. If the restrictions of avatars have such a huge impact on how you use these forums, that you can't enjoy discussing various topics with others because your avatar isn't excatly as you like it, then this place isn't for you and you may as well leave.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue May 18, 2004 5:19 am

-_- Sorry about that...

Though it does look like you've ironed some of the bugs out of the avatar system, since my Mutsumi avatar works now (the forum said it was over the size limit way back the last time I tried changing my avatar)

Edit: Actually, I like the Seiji avvy I use at snopes.com better... I'm surprised I can use it...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Tue May 18, 2004 7:39 pm

I understand why the avatars can't be big or why pictures aren't allowed in posts or signatures. This is because I'm on two forums that do allow both, and they both take longer to load than this one, which is annoying.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Sailor Wind
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Wind » Tue May 18, 2004 7:43 pm

even though members avatars are 80 x 80 in pixels everyone has to have small pictures as there avatars. i agree with having the pictures small but i think 80 x 80 in pixels is way too small, should make the limit around 200 x 200 or something.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue May 18, 2004 7:52 pm

There are fora out there (yay Latin plurals!) whose proprietors don't care about bandwidth--more money than content, I guess. What irks me about such fora is not the loading time--I have cable--but the simple waste of space. If you have two people with huge images in their sigs having a conversation, 5 posts can scroll for 5 feet, as well as necessitatign horizontal scrolling. It makes it harder to read, and you see the same images over and over. If I want cool anime images, I'll go to an archive.

But with the signatures, the more-characters-for-less-space is a good tradeoff. I should start using them. Maybe I'll start a quote of the week thing. Hmmmm. . .
Last edited by Sailorasteroid on Tue May 18, 2004 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:13 pm

For the record, this topic is about discussing the new signature rule, not discussing avatars. Let's try and stay on topic.

TBA

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 18, 2004 8:20 pm

Although this is going horribly off-topic, i'm going to try and settle this ridiculous banter once and for all.

To anybody griping about the avatar sizes:

80 x 80 is NOT tiny. Look at my avatar. That is 80 x 80. You can read it. You can clearly see the picture. Hell, I even added some effects to it. This is NOT an avatar pageant; therefore, there is no need to have a huge, overbearing avatar.

I'm going to show you all something,
Sailor Wind. You suggested having avatars that are 200 by 200. Do you realize how BIG that is?

There. That's 200 x 200. Can you IMAGINE how poorly the forums would load, and how ridiculous that would look if everybody had avatars that huge?

80 x 80 is a normal, realistic pixel size. Perhaps increasing the FILE size may come into consideration, so that people don't have to hurt the quality of their avatars..but not with these kinds of attitudes. Do you think we like to sit around, and hear nothing but people bitching when they want something? how about ASKING?

Sailor Asteroid politely asked for a calender. Dan agreed it was a good idea, and made one.

How abuot following such an example? People don't respond nicely to sarcasm, rude remarks, or demands, especially when we're providing a free service open to anyone, provided they don't break internet restrictions, such as age.

Enough if enough. This topic is about signatures, and not avatars.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor Wind
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Wind » Tue May 18, 2004 9:18 pm

it was just a suggestion and if you think i'm being rude you could of asked me to edit the post so it doesn't look that way cause i do do that sometimes without realising.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue May 18, 2004 9:35 pm

0__o I'm having a problem with the signatures. Just look at mine. I typed it out fine, then a bunch of weird stuff was showing up in the preview. When I fixed it, more weird stuff would show up. I've left it like this so you can see. Maybe it's just a small glitch of something.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 18, 2004 9:37 pm

Sailor Wind wrote:it was just a suggestion and if you think i'm being rude you could of asked me to edit the post so it doesn't look that way cause i do do that sometimes without realising.
And I took your suggestion, and told you what was wrong with it. Someday you'll have to realize that people aren't always going to agree with you, or that sometimes your suggestions may not be the best.

Again..it's OVER. Do not continue to discuss it.
0__o I'm having a problem with the signatures. Just look at mine. I typed it out fine, then a bunch of weird stuff was showing up in the preview. When I fixed it, more weird stuff would show up. I've left it like this so you can see. Maybe it's just a small glitch of something.
*Frowns* That's really odd...i'll let Dan or Bob handle that one. My sig came up just fine.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:24 pm

*squints* The only thing I see that's a little weird is that instead of single quote marks ( ' ) they're showing up as double quotes ( " ). Is that what you're talking about?

TBA

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 18, 2004 10:30 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:*squints* The only thing I see that's a little weird is that instead of single quote marks ( ' ) they're showing up as double quotes ( " ). Is that what you're talking about?
Yeah, that's what I see.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue May 18, 2004 10:32 pm

Animeguru0
*squints* The only thing I see that's a little weird is that instead of single quote marks ( ' ) they're showing up as double quotes ( " ). Is that what you're talking about?
lots of other things.''''
At the end if the sentence I used normal quotatin marks " and they turn out like "". And then there's the problem you noticed
I''d be a
But also, in one of the previews, it was like this

/"blah blah blah"/ with these /

0_o hoped that helped, it's all so confusing to me.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue May 18, 2004 11:26 pm

I think that increasing the allotted signature size to 5000 characters is a great idea! It allows people to express themselves through bandwidth saving, fast loading words, as opposed to large avatars. And as a dial-up user with an average 5.00 kbps download rate, I must say: Huzza!

*chants and holds up a sign* Self expression, without bandwidth oppression. Self expression, without bandwidth oppression… what? O_o;;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Tue May 18, 2004 11:30 pm

::chants with NGH's::

I like the 80x80 size. <-points to ava It's not as big as 100x100, but it's still pleanty gracious. The HD forums have a max limit of 64x64 and other forums are smaller to avatar disabled.

[back on topic]
fweeeee. It's neat. Alot of the times when I want to write something leangthly in my sig there isn't enough room and I have to condense it and it looses it's charm. :D Extra space appreciated.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Wed May 19, 2004 12:14 am

PeachVampiress - Your signature has been fixed. The weird thing about it is, instead of actual double quotes ( " ), every single one was a single quote ( ' ). Even when there was 4 of them, they were 4 individual single quotes...like such ''''. With 4 seperate key strokes. Anyway, hopefully it wont give you any more problems.

TBA

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed May 19, 2004 12:31 am

:squeals and glomps: thank you Guru ^_^. Yay, now I don't look like a gramatical idiot. :wink:

~Suicide Kings