Forum registration re-open

This is the place where all major announcements are posted. It is required that all new users look through these and follow through with what they say and such. Current users should have already seen what's in here and must be sure to check when anything is added.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Forum registration re-open

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:33 am

Due to issues of multiple spambots and such, many of you have probably noticed that forum registration has been closed for a couple of months. I have been planning and working on a method to keep them from getting in, and have completed this, so forum registration is open once again!

When a new user wants to sign up for the forums, there is a new link labled "Forum Account Request Form" alongside the "Register" link. This new link will open a new window with a short simple form to fill out, with just your username, email, birthday, and a validation code to prove you are not a spambot. Once this has been filled out and submitted, you can still make an account like normal. As soon as an admin notices the new account, they will check to be sure that a request form for the account was filled out, and then activate your account while sending you an e-mail stating that they can now access the forums. This will take no longer than a day or two for activation to occur. If a few days pass with nothing happening, please contact me immediately.

This new addition to the system does two things. As already mentioned, this extra setup will keep spambots away, giving us more control of the accounts activated. Because the form isn't part of the phpBB registration process, the form won't be filled out by the spambots, therefore any account they might make will be deleted after the two day rule (which is now modified to if an account here is made but no request form is filled out for that account within two days, it get's deleted). The second is that this finally forces users to input their birthdays in their profiles, as entering your birthday is a required part of the new form. This makes our lives a TON easier for trying so hard to enforce it, and will be lessannoying for everyone else from having to see a mod post about not entering your birthday in. Everybody wins.

With all that said, time to celebrate the re-opening of registration and to prepare to meet some more new people! ^_^
Last edited by MarioKnight on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:47 am

Whoa, I definitely didn't notice that. Closing registration down for a couple of months is a pretty drastic measure, but at least that period's over now.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Aw, no more spambots? I'm sure gonna miss a spambot's edited post. ("I'm an annoying idiot spammer with no life.") Oh well. :P
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Dennis
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Dennis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:49 pm

That seems like a pretty good choice to filter bots. I hope it works well.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:37 pm

Ah, shoot. I filled one out by mistake thinking that it was the only way to log in.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Sailor_Moon_Bunny
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Nice plan!

Post by Sailor_Moon_Bunny » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:35 am

Pretty complicated. Though it's safe and neat! Good plan!

I was wondering why I had to complete two forms to join... 8)

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:40 pm

I have slightly modified the registration process. As of now, creation of new accounts is disabled and new accounts can only be made by an admin. I've grown tired of deleting disabled spam bot accounts, though it has been nice not having them post anything. So I've taken a step away from both me and all new users. New users only have to fill out the one form now, and I don't have to delete all non-activated accounts. It's win-win all-around.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(