Inappropriate Material - Everybody Read!

This is the place where all major announcements are posted. It is required that all new users look through these and follow through with what they say and such. Current users should have already seen what's in here and must be sure to check when anything is added.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Inappropriate Material - Everybody Read!

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Lately, the mods and admins have been noticing some jokes, discussion, and innuendo that, in our opinions, have been borderline inappropriate.

We are aware that we have a lot of adult members, but we also have quite a few minor members. We also have people who visit and browse the site before deciding to join. We want to keep this site appropriate for both groups. Sailor Moon is, essentially, a kid's show, and we have to keep this site a least somewhat minor-friendly.

Fun flirting (such as responding with "rwor!" and "sexy!" to a member's picture, for example) is by all means fine. Very light flirting is common and so long as it is little more than a fun quip, a compliment, or such then we don't have a problem with it.

Sexual discussion that is not meant to be SERIOUS and MATURE debate (such as teenage pregnancy, abortion, etc), overly sexual jokes, and obvious sexual innuendo do not need to be displayed here at SMU. If you must do that sort of thing with a friend, do so in PM or somewhere else.

We must remember that this is a PUBLIC forum, not a private journal or something of that sort. Not everybody wants to see that sort of thing, and we want to protect ourselves should a minor or the parent of a minor should appear on the forums.

If we feel that someone is posting inappropriately or with excessive inappropriateness, we will let that member know with a light warning, followed by more severe measures if that behavior continues.

Also, we want to remind people that they should not post ANYTHING about themselves that they don't want others to see. These forums are ALL visible by anybody who isn't banned. Any browser can come in and see your posts. So if any member wants to post any personal information/stories/etc, they need to remember that it can be viewed by anyone, and be sure that they don't mind that fact. Otherwise, they shouldn't post it.

We don't want to have to make this an actual rule, but rather a guideline that we hope is easy enough for members to follow. ^_^ We want to keep this forum fun for everyone, but while maintaining a respectful, tactful, intelligent, and mature atmosphere.

Thank you! Any questions or comments may be posted here.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Re: Inappropriate Material - Everybody Read!

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Tiff wrote:We must remember that this is a PUBLIC forum, not a private journal or something of that sort. Not everybody wants to see that sort of thing, and we want to protect ourselves should a minor or the parent of a minor should appear on the forums.
That, of course, makes sense. However, I'm curious, just as a hypothetical, were it not for the public image, how does the staff feel about such things?

And as a practical point, if you are sympathetic to it, would it be possible to consider an adult-only forum?
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:31 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote: That, of course, makes sense. However, I'm curious, just as a hypothetical, were it not for the public image, how does the staff feel about such things?

And as a practical point, if you are sympathetic to it, would it be possible to consider an adult-only forum?
The staff discussed it. We all agreed that this needed to be done. We've read some things lately that we found to be inappropriate and things that we don't want to see on our forums. I'm...really not sure what else to add to that.

I mean, I'm as perverted as they come. But I have a respect for people who just plain don't want to see that side of me. It's just plain inappropriate.

As for the adult forum, I'd rather not. I don't know how the other mods feel about that, I can't speak for them, but I myself do not want an adult-only forum. Again, people can discuss adult-only material on their own time, in their own IMs or blogs. Not here.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:38 pm

Keeping minors out of such a restricted forum would also be very difficult. Everyone's personal issues about what a "legal age" is aside, I could only imagine that the owners could get into a heap of trouble if a kid lied about his age, wandered into the adult section, and was discovered by a parent or guardian. Not only is that not the kind of behavior we want to foster in our users, but it's also not something I'd imagine Dan would want to have to deal with.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:And as a practical point, if you are sympathetic to it, would it be possible to consider an adult-only forum?
That idea crossed my mind as well, Asteroid. But then I thought about it more... and I mean, this IS a BSSM forum, and that's what we're technically here for. So even though I'm happy to have met and discussed a lot of different (and often more mature) things with a lot of people, I agree that we should keep in mind that we can always discuss that kinda stuff off the forums if we want, or in PMs, or e-mail, or anything. There's enough other methods. And if anyone ever wants to IM for example, they are welcome. I'll talk about anything with anyone.

I know I'm one of the biggest (if not the biggest) culprits of this issue, so I'll try to tone it down a bit. ^^; We've had some bad stuff fairly far in the past though (pg. 6 of the Nonsense Thread, anyone? =p) and no one seemed to mind then, so I didn't think it would be an issue now... but again, I'll try to tone it down.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:43 pm

Starscream wrote:Keeping minors out of such a restricted forum would also be very difficult. Everyone's personal issues about what a "legal age" is aside, I could only imagine that the owners could get into a heap of trouble if a kid lied about his age, wandered into the adult section, and was discovered by a parent or guardian. Not only is that not the kind of behavior we want to foster in our users, but it's also not something I'd imagine Dan would want to have to deal with.
Exactly.

Not only that, but it'd be a breeding ground for people want to see "pr0n" and such, and I really, as an admin, don't want to deal with that sort of crap.

I also don't want to be responsible for policing minors out of there. One can never truly tell when someone is lying about their age. Yes, I'm more than sure people lie and say they're 13 when they're not. But at least I'm trying to keep them from seeing overly adult material.
We've had some bad stuff fairly far in the past though (pg. 6 of the Nonsense Thread, anyone? =p) and no one seemed to mind then, so I didn't think it would be an issue now... but again, I'll try to tone it down.
Well, it's just gotten a tad out of hand now. We've been keeping an eye on it, and now we've simply decided that this isn't the place for that sort of thing. And thanks.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Sylphiel wrote:We've had some bad stuff fairly far in the past though (pg. 6 of the Nonsense Thread, anyone? =p) and no one seemed to mind then, so I didn't think it would be an issue now... but again, I'll try to tone it down.
Page 6 was nothing to the last few pages we have now; whereas the former was still somewhat flirty and a bit suggestive, the last few pages (as of this writing) have been downright explicit in the contents of the posts, to the extent that anyone with any idea about what sex is could put the pieces together. Further, this latest string of incidents has been promulgated a lot longer than what we had before, which is really where our concern originated.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:51 pm

Starscream wrote:
Sylphiel wrote:We've had some bad stuff fairly far in the past though (pg. 6 of the Nonsense Thread, anyone? =p) and no one seemed to mind then, so I didn't think it would be an issue now... but again, I'll try to tone it down.
Page 6 was nothing to the last few pages we have now; whereas the former was still somewhat flirty and a bit suggestive, the last few pages (as of this writing) have been downright explicit in the contents of the posts, to the extent that anyone with any idea about what sex is could put the pieces together. Further, this latest string of incidents has been promulgated a lot longer than what we had before, which is really where our concern originated.
Alrighty. I guess it's kinda hard for me to determine what's bad from what's worse since I don't really get offended by much of anything. ^^; *wonders if we should move the current discussion to the Sexuality thread in Off-Topic*
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:00 pm

It's not that we, the staff, believe that it's offensive, just that it can get inappropriate at times. And, as stated, these forums are open to everyone. Minors, parents, adults, registered members and guests - they all can read the discussions that take place here.

We aren't asking people to completely censor themselves, just pay attention and keep it toned down a bit. ^^;;

:D
Last edited by Tempest on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Sylphiel wrote:*wonders if we should move the current discussion to the Sexuality thread in Off-Topic*
I don't think that would be appropriate, either; from the first post:
3) This topic is NOT to discuss your sex life. This should be kept private, as I'm sure not everyone wants to hear about what you do at home.
The OT thread has already ventured into people's personal sex preferences, and again, this is NOT something we want discussed here. Again, whatever your views are on this matter are YOUR views, and seeing as how this WILL be kept as a public forum, we do not want to be the place to discuss this.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Starscream wrote:
Sylphiel wrote:*wonders if we should move the current discussion to the Sexuality thread in Off-Topic*
I don't think that would be appropriate, either; from the first post:
3) This topic is NOT to discuss your sex life. This should be kept private, as I'm sure not everyone wants to hear about what you do at home.
The OT thread has already ventured into people's personal sex preferences, and again, this is NOT something we want discussed here. Again, whatever your views are on this matter are YOUR views, and seeing as how this WILL be kept as a public forum, we do not want to be the place to discuss this.
Okay, it was just a suggestion. And I forgot about that intro to that thread, actually. So my apologies.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Heh, it's easy to skim over the details when you're excited about a topic of discussion; everyone does it from time to time ^^;
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Sailor_Moon_Bunny
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Swearing

Post by Sailor_Moon_Bunny » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:43 am

It's a good idea to keep this forum fun and appropriate, but I don't consider swearing as "appropriate".

Sure, there's no kids in this forum, but some teenagers might dislike the swearing and bad words. Maybe some adults too. (I'm one of them)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Swearing

Post by Tiff » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:35 am

Sailor_Moon_Bunny wrote:It's a good idea to keep this forum fun and appropriate, but I don't consider swearing as "appropriate".

Sure, there's no kids in this forum, but some teenagers might dislike the swearing and bad words. Maybe some adults too. (I'm one of them)
We've made it clear in the rules that excessive swearing is a no-no. Casual swearing is fine, and I don't think we're going to be changing that anytime in the future. Honestly, if people don't like swearing, they don't have to come here. It's as simple as that, really.

o_O; also, you're 17...how does that make you an adult?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor_Moon_Bunny
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Understood

Post by Sailor_Moon_Bunny » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am

XD I didn't say that I was an adult, I said I just hated swearing....

That's fine, I'll just ignore the swearing.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Understood

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:50 am

Sailor_Moon_Bunny wrote:XD I didn't say that I was an adult, I said I just hated swearing....

Maybe some adults too. (I'm one of them)

=P you did, but no matter. Ignoring the swearing is probably the best course of action.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor_Moon_Bunny
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailor_Moon_Bunny » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:55 am

Tiff wrote:
Sailor_Moon_Bunny wrote:XD I didn't say that I was an adult, I said I just hated swearing....

=P you did, but no matter. Ignoring the swearing is probably the best course of action.
Hehe....*turns bright red* Sorry about that... :oops: Made a small mistake.....

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Sailor_Moon_Bunny wrote:
Tiff wrote:

Hehe....*turns bright red* Sorry about that... :oops: Made a small mistake.....
:roll:

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:57 pm

ADMIN MODE:

Chibisteven, don't know your intent with the rolling eyes but

http://www.smuncensored.com/forums/rules.php#16

and

http://www.smuncensored.com/forums/rules.php#11

That is all.

TBA

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:32 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:ADMIN MODE:

Chibisteven, don't know your intent with the rolling eyes but

http://www.smuncensored.com/forums/rules.php#16

and

http://www.smuncensored.com/forums/rules.php#11

That is all.
I go to a post high school program, since I gradulated the high school program. I get annoyed with this one student pretty bad. Unfornately, he can't help it. So it really tests my patience. And I think it might of just rubbed off on the wrong person.