"N/A" posts.

This is the place where all major announcements are posted. It is required that all new users look through these and follow through with what they say and such. Current users should have already seen what's in here and must be sure to check when anything is added.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

"N/A" posts.

Post by Tiff » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:48 pm

I'm sure everyone has noticed that all of #1SailorMoonFan's recent posts have been replaced with "N/A".

He did this himself. We're not entirely sure why, but he was being reprimanded for breaking some rules, and we're thinking he did it either to spite us, or to rid himself from the forums.

Regardless of the reasons, it's not cool, and we are not happy with it.

So here we go: If you make a post and for ANY reason don't want it to exist anymore...well, frankly, too damn bad. It's one thing to edit your post to change what you said if you didn't like it...but do NOT replace ANY of your posts with either nothing or "n/a". It messes up threads and makes things confusing. Take the Animal Rights thread...now it doesn't even have a starting post, becuase it has been replaced with an "N/A".

DO NOT DO IT. We've had it happen once before, and we were not happy. We're just as unhappy about it this time. If anybody does this to any of their posts again, they will be permanently banned without question.

Thank you.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:20 pm

Basically, here are the details.

#1SailorMoonFan was reprimanded for borderline harassing the admins and mods about other members/posts/topics/you name it. 99.6% of the things he complained about or said "we needed to take care of" were 100% fine and needed no admin/mod action. Thus, after once again doing this, he was reprimanded for this. No warning, no ban or anything, just SOUND ADVICE was given telling him to stop being so hypersensitive.

I suppose this forced him to go legally insane. He sent an email after I demanded an explanation for the N/A posts saying "I'm done with the internet." stating that he had cancelled his accounts and two other places as well.

That's fine. I have no problem with him deciding that he's "done" with the internet, but his actions were completely unacceptable. Considering his activity on the forums over the past few months, most current threads are DEPENDENT on his posts considering that discussion was formed AROUND many of his posts. For example, the animal rights thread makes absolutely NO sense now because it doesn't have a STARTING POST. Now, nearly all of our threads are, excuse my french, royally fucked up. Many are almost unreadable, and replyable, or impossible to understand cause a lot of things are lost because there is NO CONTEXT.

Now, to be brutally honest with all of you members, I have never EVER been this livid or pissed at a single member of the forums, EVER. Yeah, we've had our bad apples. Snake, Squirrel, Sailor X, but nothing that wasn't easily solved. Banned! Problem solved. This on the other hand, a ban will not be able to fix. That's why it is so serious. And to make it worse, he had no legitimate reason to do it.

So, now, we just have to move on the best we can. Frankly, #1SailorMoonFan has caused a lot of headache and problems on the forums, luckily we wont have to deal with him anymore. To all the rest of the members, thank you for being good members and let's move on from this the best way we can.

TBA

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:47 am

I have to add my thoughts of people doing this. Doing this is one of the few things that REALLY pisses me off. I'm usually calm, colected and cool, and sometimes might get mad and go a tad overboard, but this stuff will send me over the edge. I HATE it when stuff it my databases is royally messed up like that. When a small mstake happens, I'm slightly pissed, and that's a mistake. When it's intentional, then I'm really fucking pissed. Like take it out on the punching bag 5 feet from where I am sitting pissed. So doing stuff like this will not only get you banned upon sight, but if I have the time and means, there is a chance I'll hunt you down and relpace the punching bag with you. This stuff does drive me THAT crazy.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:41 am

Point blank, Dan spends a lot of times making sure these forums are set up to run smoothly. He keeps records of all of this stuff, and when it gets fucked up, I don't blame him for being pissed.

Thankfully, stuff like this doesn't happen often at all. ^_^ Thank you all for that. This will be made an official rule.

If there are any questions and concerns, feel free to post in here.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:54 am

Would it help if we went through our caches looking for any SMU versions before the post edits, so they could be restored?
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:01 am

MarioKnight wrote:and sometimes might get mad and go a tad overboard
Understatement of the year award. =P *hands out trophy*

*ahem* anyway...

Yeah, that's kinda retarded, and I don't understand why anyone would need to do it. But on the lighter side of things, I don't think it's the end of the world in most cases. I mean, the Animal Rights thread still has everyone else's opinion's in it, and it still mostly makes sense because when people responded to certain parts they quoted it, and that's left intact. So you can still see what people are responding to.

Again, I don't think it's right or anything, and I don't disagree at all with the banning. But I don't think it's as humongous a deal as you guys are making it out to be. It's not like someone went in and hacked your databases and deleted half the threads or something. Things could be a LOT worse. Just my two cents.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:26 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:Would it help if we went through our caches looking for any SMU versions before the post edits, so they could be restored?
Unless the caches are updated several times and each seperate one can be accessed, that's essentially not possible. I've got an idea I'm tossing around in my head to try to code onto the forums to prevent data loss if someone were to do that, however it will take a long time to implement and would only work for any posts made after the code is done.
Sylphiel wrote:Again, I don't think it's right or anything, and I don't disagree at all with the banning. But I don't think it's as humongous a deal as you guys are making it out to be. It's not like someone went in and hacked your databases and deleted half the threads or something. Things could be a LOT worse. Just my two cents.
I guess it really depends on what end it's being viewed from. Viewing it as a user wouldn't really spark as much as it would viewing it as an admin, proven by this recent case where the users were just a tad confused, whereas us admins were ready to go for blood. Working so hard to maintain such a large database and having pieces of it be intentionally destroyed and unrecoverable is basically a kick in the balls. Granted, there are ways to prevent the data loss via backups, but it's time consuming and a waste of space to backup databases as frequently as posts are made. I know it can be a lot worse, and we've gone through a lot worse here on this site and forums a few times already. But just because it can be a lot worse doesn't take away from the fact that it's still really bad and infuriating to us. Especially to me, but then again I'm reall anal about this sort of thing. ^^;;
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 am

Well, speaking as an admin from another board, I for one can say I don't blame any of you for being angry about this. I would be too, and simply banning him wouldn't be enough for me, either. But I also know that you can't really help it if one of your members gets pissed off for no good reason at all and pulls crap like this. You did the only thing you could do about it, and made sure he can't come back to do something like this again. I commend you for doing your jobs, which is all you could do.

And speaking as a regular member, I say it's still quite an annoyance to have what seems like every other post erased, so it looks like the other members in the threads were only talking to themselves or something.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:42 am

I would be pretty damned upset, too. It's not a problem when they get into a huff and leave. They don't want to be around any more? Fine. That doesn't give them the right to disrupt the forum. I've seen it happen several times, and it comes in many different forms. All of which are annoying.

I'm curious, though. Will this new rule be specifically for "n/a" posts, or will it include something about posts that are heavily edited to try to cover up rule breaking or dissrespect?

Edit: o/ How many words must an NGH forget, before she has no post left? o/
Last edited by NameGoesHere on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:43 am

I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that he intentionally did this to piss us off. I'm sorry if I'm being unprofessional here, but this is just my opinion, #1SailorMoonFan had consistantly proven himself to be a freaking idiot. While many of you members didn't see it, he would report posts that had nothing wrong with them, send us PMs about members who he believed were "Sexually harassing him" or "Trying to stalk him" when in reality it was just people trying to be nice to him. Normally, we'll get a reported post once every few weeks, cause most of the time there's nothing on the forums that's worth reporting (Thank you to you members for that =D), but with him, we'd get several A DAY.

I think it's fine that he's "done" with the internet. Whatever floats his boat. We didn't tell him to leave (at that point in time), nor were we trying to push him out of SMU, we just wanted him to chill out. But I somehow fail to see the logic in relating him "leaving the internet" and destroying all his posts on our message board. There IS no logic. The only logical explanation is that he was just an asshole trying to be an asshole. But then again, he never was the most logical person, which goes back to maybe he was just being a freaking idiot.

I apologize for the anti-#1SMF banter, but you gotta understand, 1 - i'm extremely pissed, and 2 - frankly, he deserves all the public bad talk. I can almost guarentee you that I would NEVER ever EVER ever EVER talk this way about any other member ever, but just realize, this is almost like therapy for me. The only way for me to get over this is to publically talk about it =P.

k - that ends my two cents.

TBA

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:50 am

From a moderator's stand point it's a major pain in the ass. Not everyone comes to the announcements category to read up on the forum notices, especially if they're new. Not only is there chunks of information missing from conversations, but you also have to figure in all the people who will respond to the "N/A" messages asking, "I don't understand. What does it mean?". And the mods will have to respond to them with a link to this thread and ask them not to further dwell on it in thread where the subject will be considered "off topic". Then you'll have other members trying to fill in the gaps so people will understand what's going on which is a waste of other people's time..

Going back and taking out your responses, taking out information on a discussion board, is inconsiderate. It confuses new members and causes problems for the Mods and current members.

I hate childish and petty acts like this. The immaturity of it all is what's making me unhappy.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:17 am

This is sad there has to be a sticky for this. People like #1SailorMoonFan are idiots and we Know it. He deserved the ban.
Anyway, we never have to see him again.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:19 am

Sylphiel: Yes, things could be worse. In ANY situation, things could ALWAYS be worse. But that isn't the point. The point is, what happened is pretty shitty in our opinions, and it doesn't matter how much worse things could be. It fucked up ou database, and when you have someone who works hard to maintain that, of course it's upsetting.

And not only that, but this is the second time this has happened. We don't want it to happen again. It's very frustrating for admins to log on and see a bunch of "N/As" and then see at least two members freaking out, going "WHERE ARE HIS POSTS?!" becuase they're COMPLETELY confused. Part of our job is to maintain order on this site, and that order was disturbed last night.

Tempest: Yep, you hit the nail right on the head.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:37 am

Hmmm... I just read AnimeGuru's post about #1SailorMoonFan... AnimeGuru called this guy an idiot, but I think the term he's really looking for is MENTALLY FREAKIN' INSANE. Seriously, how nuts do you have to be to report posts that do no harm several times a DAY, or tell the Admins/Mods about people who are sexually harrassing you or stalking you, when you're just being nice??

Did you manage to EVER catch this guy's age? Was he like... Really 12, but lying about his age so he could look like he was 25 or something?

I just hope there's an IP, email, and whatever else kind of ban on this guy. He defenetly doesn't deserve to come back here. I'm probably not the only one to say, with all of the stuff the Admins have to do with the site and the forums, I'm glad that guy's gone. There's too much work to be done, and there's obviously no room for, erm...Weirdos. :S

Heh, some #1 fan HE turned out to be. ¬_¬
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:32 pm

MarioKnight wrote:...Working so hard to maintain such a large database and having pieces of it be intentionally destroyed and unrecoverable is basically a kick in the balls...
I know exactly how you feel on that point. Since my job is to maintain huge databases, I know what it feels like when something is deleted. Once, when I was working in Minneapolis, a member of my own team decided to delete an entire section of something that I was working on. I have now created code so it can't happen again... ^^;
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Neon Heart wrote:Hmmm... I just read AnimeGuru's post about #1SailorMoonFan... AnimeGuru called this guy an idiot, but I think the term he's really looking for is MENTALLY FREAKIN' INSANE.
LMAO. You know me too well =D

TBA

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:04 pm

I guess it's a curious study in that most bannees, to coin a term, are people who break the rules, and here we have one who wanted rules enforced where and when they shouldn't be. That can sometimes be worst.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:49 pm

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear this happend. I don't maintain databases myself so I guess I can't fully appricate the problem.

Do you have any backups that you could use to find the text to his posts and copy and paste them back in? Or is it one of those things thats: 1) not possible or 2) just too much work to be worth it?

Anyway, this guy sounds nuts and I'm glad he's gone, but I'm kind of worried too. If he's not on the internet harrassing admins 24/7 what is he doing??? I don't like the idea of this guy out in public.

*Cocks Shotgun*
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:51 pm

He said he was a Vegetarian... Probably picking stuff from people's gardens.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:01 pm

Funny way to leave the internet. With "N/A" posts. If you don't want people to know about something don't post it in the first place and two don't go around curopting the databases if you already did post something. Three, if one wishes to retire or take a break from the internet don't make a big show about it, people hate that.

My two cents.