Registartion for new accounts currently closed

This is the place where all major announcements are posted. It is required that all new users look through these and follow through with what they say and such. Current users should have already seen what's in here and must be sure to check when anything is added.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Registartion for new accounts currently closed

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:23 am

I'm sorry to have to do this, but for the time being I have been pretty much forced to close up registration for new accounts on these forums. It appears that people have nothing better to do these days than call upon friends to "raid" the forums, so to say, because of something they essentially didn't like. I just plain love the maturity level of people these days. -_-;; So until the rest of the staff and I decide what to do about some stuff here and me playing with some code (mainly forcing new people to enter their birthday right at registration), creation of new accounts is closed and there's no loophole around this unlike the closing last year when I was implementing a lot of new code here. Hopefully people will have grown up by the time it's open again (which is funny, since said group have stated that we don't know what we're talking about in certain things and that they're older and do, and are now acting like elementary school kids), but then again I really don't have high hopes for that ever happening.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Boner
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Boner » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:50 am

Really? I didn't notice any raids but I have only been here for a day. The threads I have been in are pretty clean so far. I think I may have missed this. Too bad though because some good quality people that may want to join wont be able to. Sorry to hear this.
I do have a little issue with mods here. I don't think that the mod title should give them the right to accuse people of things or make judgments. I posted my thought innocently asking people a few questions that they should ask themselves and I was accused of being rude and the thread was ultimatley locked, but not before a mod slipped in her two cents, and I did nothing wrong. This person seems to be on edge with everyone, based on what I have seen from her in just one day of registration. Not exactly something that would be a welcome gift to new members. I like to join forums where I feel welcome and wanted, not blasted. I know she will respond with some yadda yadda but I don't care to hear it. All I am here to do is post my thoughts, not be accused of garbage.

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:22 am

Well.

Voicing your opinion but doing it against the rules will result and thread locking and banning. Simple as that. The mods and admins make the rules so that the place runs smoothly: who wants to see opinions that are just an invitation to a flame war against the person who expressed themselves?

I don't care if you don't like things, but the least you can do is being polite towards people and back up what you say. This can avoid trouble.

Moderation is always needed everywhere, and you have just proven why.

That, and respecting the mods and admins is also a good advice I can give you.

EDIT: If you're talking about Tiff, ahem, be even more warned, she's not only a mod, she's an admin here. And she's a damn good person working hard for these forums to stay clean.
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:40 am

Boner wrote:I posted my thought innocently asking people a few questions that they should ask themselves and I was accused of being rude and the thread was ultimatley locked, but not before a mod slipped in her two cents, and I did nothing wrong. This person seems to be on edge with everyone, based on what I have seen from her in just one day of registration. Not exactly something that would be a welcome gift to new members.
It was not just your post that made her lock down the thread, but a culmination of the bickering and nonsense on BOTH sides of the field that made her realize that the thread was really going nowhere. You just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:06 am

Dan-san, I applaud you and the mods for doing what you feel you have to do. If people can't follow the rules, then they really shouldn't waste valuable server space with their bullshit. But that is the way I feel.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Boner
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Boner » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:00 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:Well.

Voicing your opinion but doing it against the rules will result and thread locking and banning. Simple as that. The mods and admins make the rules so that the place runs smoothly: who wants to see opinions that are just an invitation to a flame war against the person who expressed themselves?

I don't care if you don't like things, but the least you can do is being polite towards people and back up what you say. This can avoid trouble.

Moderation is always needed everywhere, and you have just proven why.

That, and respecting the mods and admins is also a good advice I can give you.

EDIT: If you're talking about Tiff, ahem, be even more warned, she's not only a mod, she's an admin here. And she's a damn good person working hard for these forums to stay clean.
Here's another example. So? Am I supposed to be afraid? Gimme a break. Mods and admin aren't here to go around and bully people or make people "afraid".

I give respect where I get respect. If someone treats me like garbage than I will return the favour. I'm a nice guy and would rather not get on the bad side of people but I can be an asshole if I have to. I didn't add to the fighting now, did I? No I didn't. Yet, she pointed out MY post and said I was being rude. I did nothing wrong. I asked the people who were so against it a few questions they should think about. It was IN NO WAY an instigation for a flame and, without even KNOWING me, she basically labelled me wrong because she "thought" I was trying to start a flame.

I WAS NOT breaking any rules and I DID NOT disrespect a mod or a member. I voiced my opinion on what people should ask themselves and yet I get shit on. Great first impression.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:06 pm

Yes, that was a great first impression. Also, let me be the one to tell you that if you continue to be an arrogant asshole here, the mods will ban you. I'm just giving a fair warning here, even though it isn't my job to do so. You treat people the way you want to be treated. And if you act like an ass, people will treat you as if you are one.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:58 pm

1) I'm not a mod.

2) If your post in the Sims thread isn't rude, then I don't know what rude is.

So reconsider next time you post. People will respect you if you respect them. And, yes, you are supposed to be afraid, because, while the mods and admins do not bully new members just for the heck of it, they do, however, ban the people who don't deserve to be members here. So yes you did one thing wrong.

That, and by answering to this thread, you're just proving my point. Had you really done nothing wrong, you would have sent the mod/admin in question a nice PM, either asking why she thought your post was rude, or apologizing for sounding rude. But no, instead of this, you come, and quote me and say all those things.

YOU, without knowing the mod, said you had a problem with her. YOU said "based on what I saw from her on my first day". YOU are the one who assumed things without knowing the mod. So she's like you: she returned the favor.

That, and, as much as I'm not a mod, maybe you should remember the rules.

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

bigdaddykane
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bigdaddykane » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:11 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:
Had you really done nothing wrong, you would have sent the mod/admin in question a nice PM, either asking why she thought your post was rude, or apologizing for sounding rude.
hang on a minute there, I'm a member of quite a few diferent forums, and am well aware of maturity levels of certain members that like to join up. There always seems to be a little bit of resentment towards new guys just because they aren't known by the admins and mods. On quite a few of the forums i visit it seems the recognised members can get away with saying anything and it slipping by, but if a new guy said the same that person would be banned/warned.

now the reason i quote your post my friend is because i would like to take you up on something.
"had you really done nothing wrong, you would have sent the admin a nice pm.....apologising for sounding rude"

if said person had done nothing wrong, why should they have to apologise? sure, if the post really sounded THAT rude, yeah okay.
But, i have to admit i've seen a few posts here that the admin and mods have taken up on, and they haven.t really been that rude. surely a little bit of blame falls on both sides?
apologies all round, methinks.

just throwing in an opinion.

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:13 pm

Well, the thing is, no one here rejects new people automatically, nor do the mods and admins. We're [EDIT : we as in we users since I shall remind that I'm not a mod, just a user who cares about the forums] not going to bash you just because you're new.

However, if you go through some topics, you will notice that new members that are "bashed" (English not being my native language, I have a hard time finding my vocabulary) are the ones who don't search for something on Google, or who post something that's already posted, or who just don't respect the rules.

In that aspect, did you read the posts that are concerned by this ? If you didn't, I can remind you of what happened. The first topic concerned is the one in which you could say what you would name your kids. Go there to see what we all said. That, and one doesn't need to resort to name calling to be rude anyway. The other post I personnally was thinking of was something in The Sims topic, in which it was implied that Sims players are people with no lives who need the game to get one. This is rude too.

That, and don't put in the "my friend" until you really/I'm really one, please. Ahem.

Sometimes, known members can get away with little stuff, but you would understand it more if you were on the other side AND if you read through topics where there have been such occurances. I am an admin too on another forum and believe me, sometimes new guys ARE annoying (rule breaking and everything), and you're quite relieved that "old" members come and have some fun. Gotta think about the context, too.

And, about the PM thing, I still stand by what I said, and I'll add that a PM is always nicer because it then avoids this kind of topic deviation, since I'm sure Marioknight didn't want this to turn into yet another "Gosh the admins hate me cause I'm new" topic, or "Gosh the admins hate me they locked my topic" thing.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:32 pm

Akarui-san is right. We are all probably going to get fussed at for deviating the topic so much (I say we because I too was involved). Akarui-san and I have also been members here for I don't know how long, but I can tell you that when I first came here I probably only got fussed at for something maybe once, but other than that, I can't remember a time I was ever fussed at or bashed on for anything else here. I have followed the rules set here from day one, or have done my best to do so. Akarui-san has done the same thing as far as I know. My point is you can get along with the people here just fine if you don't always sound antagonistic or condecending to everyone who responds to something you said.
Come join the party.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:44 pm

End the discussion now.

Any further debate in this thread will result in a permanent ban.

Thank you.

TBA

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Big thank you, Dan! That's what I thought should have been done right from the beginning because of all these teeny boppers coming in, and not following the rules. I'm not pointing at anyone specifically, but I'm just being general.

Another thing I wanted to bring up. I think it would be a good idea to give the mods the ability to temporarily ban people. Ie: The whole Snake fiasco that happened last summer. If a mod had been able to ban him, it wouldn't have turned into the complete zoo that it did before the admin got here to put a stop to it. What do you guys think?

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:35 pm

That's already an option for us, RT. I believe it was given to us because of that very incident.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear that Dan. It sounds like it'll be a lot of work. You bust your ass enough as it is for these boards. Maybe you could get someone who knows code and what not to help you.

Personally, I don't think it'll be a big loss closing the registration for awhile. The majority of people who join never post, those after them are mostly the ass-hats you spoke of. One question though.

MarioKnight
creation of new accounts is closed and there's no loophole around this unlike the closing last year when I was implementing a lot of new code here.
What loophole was that? I sort of remember, but not quite (stuff like this drives me crazy, that's why I ask ^^;)
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:52 pm

Starscream wrote:That's already an option for us, RT. I believe it was given to us because of that very incident.
That's good to know.

Back on topic here anyway, the code does sound like a ton of work, but in the end, I think it will be worth it. It really leaves me wondering how you make time for it, with college and all. It's getting close to the end of the semester (we're done at the end of April) and they've been really piling the work on us in the last week or so, and I haven't had much time to do anything else. I truly appreciate everything that you've been doing for us.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm

peachvampiress wrote: MarioKnight
creation of new accounts is closed and there's no loophole around this unlike the closing last year when I was implementing a lot of new code here.
What loophole was that? I sort of remember, but not quite (stuff like this drives me crazy, that's why I ask ^^;)
Last year I was pretty lax about it. Instead of coding a MOD in to disable them, I just made it so that accounts could be created still, but an admin would have to activate it rather than have the user activate it themselves. The only way an account would have been activated was if someone e-mailed me about it so new members could still join but just had to take an extra step to do so while I got all that stuff sorted out.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:23 pm

MarioKnight
Last year I was pretty lax about it. Instead of coding a MOD in to disable them, I just made it so that accounts could be created still, but an admin would have to activate it rather than have the user activate it themselves. The only way an account would have been activated was if someone e-mailed me about it so new members could still join but just had to take an extra step to do so while I got all that stuff sorted out.
Ahh, okay thanks. Now I won't go insane @[email protected]

Try not to strain yourself too much on trying to fix the forums.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:46 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:It really leaves me wondering how you make time for it, with college and all. It's getting close to the end of the semester (we're done at the end of April) and they've been really piling the work on us in the last week or so, and I haven't had much time to do anything else.
Sorry, looked over this the first time through. For me, it's fairly easy to make time for it, since I'm not in school this semester (and future semesters are now in question due to an incident I don't want to go into right now). So basically, any time outside of work for me is my time.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

Ayane
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Ayane » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:05 pm

>_< "Incidents" aren't usually good in my definition...good luck with that and don't bang your head against the wall too much working on this place. ;)