IMPORTANT: TO EVERY MEMBER

This is the place where all major announcements are posted. It is required that all new users look through these and follow through with what they say and such. Current users should have already seen what's in here and must be sure to check when anything is added.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Migiwa
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Migiwa » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:24 pm

Hi there! I registered just so that I could reply to this thread. :D

Respect is an important thing. At times it's easy to accidentally reply to a thread you didn't read in the heat of the moment. But it'd gotten to be a trend here.

Nanami-san, you need to cool your jets. Go relax a bit. Take a valium, or possibly effexor, like I do! It can truly change your perspective. This wasn't a personal attack on you. It was a forum-wide announcement. Sweetie, not everything is focused at you. There is a whole big world out there.

hmm. . .

Now back to my regularly schedualed silence! (and sad deterioration of spelling skills >.< )
Onigiri to yonde kudasai.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:16 pm

*does a little apology dance* Sorry to repeat what everyone said ( :wink: :wink: ), but I also read and totally agree with what you said, Tiff. I try very hard not to repeat what anyone has said unless it is absolutely neccessary (read: I have the same opinion as they do), because I don't like to contribute to stagnation. However, it is very hard NOT to have repition on certain posts, especially marathon posts. But who wants to read 6 pages of the same three things? Or worse, 6 pages that turns into 9 pages, that turns into 23 pages? (as you can see, I'm not referring to any post here, but several I have seen on other message boards).
As a totally unrelated thing: why isn't our "wink" emoticon animated?
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:24 pm

crazydiamond wrote: However, it is very hard NOT to have repition on certain posts, especially marathon posts. But who wants to read 6 pages of the same three things? Or worse, 6 pages that turns into 9 pages, that turns into 23 pages? (as you can see, I'm not referring to any post here, but several I have seen on other message boards).
As a totally unrelated thing: why isn't our "wink" emoticon animated?
I'm sorry if some people don't want to take the time to do it...but all of us mods do it, and there's no reason for anybody else to if they're going to respond.
and i have no idea.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:28 am

IMO, then, when you don't want to read 23 pages, just don't read them.

If you happen to find a 23 pages topic... read the first one, and if it's interesting, read over and answer if you want. If it's not, simply don't answer.

Because then what happens it you read page 1, answer page 23, and repeat everything others have said, thus making it hard for people to find the topics entertaining.

I had said on the old board that I'm a mod for another board like this one. And unfortunately, people do this a lot. They don't read anything, and when you tell them about their mistakes, they either:

- cry "Why are you so mean to me when I'm so innocent"
- do the big "Goodbye to everyone" thing then come back
- piss off everyone by "yelling" at the mods.

Then it's a whole "locking topics" adventure.

*thinks of a "Forums Mistakes Pet Peeves" topic... o.O;;;;*
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:34 am

Akarui Kibuno: EXACTLY.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

writergirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by writergirl » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:23 am

I've gotta hand it to you have have a lot of respect of ryou mods! I go to another forum for the tv show Charmed... there are no joke, 180 pages... not kidding. The show recently got a new character (yes I do have a point to this) and there are theories GALORE about him. and noone will post in just one thread, they all have to create their own... and those mods dont' combine them, or do anything about it... and it drives me nuts! Thanks for being the first forum I ever went to, cause it shows how a REAL froum is supposed to be!

oh and ps... I'll try not to do it (but it's kinda hard on those 9 page things that you read liek the silly rumors thing in teh sm forum!!! haha)
Plug for my message board Im awful. ::Hangs head in shame::

Left here alone, and unsure of what I feel. Unclear, but I see, Just what I'm afraid of.
I can't find my way anymore. And I cannot heal the wounds I've created. I can't let let go of whats killing me
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know
I can't breathe anymore Somehow I'm locked inside this cage And I've tried, but I cant Fight to stay alive
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
I've tried But I can't fight anymore.
I've Fallen from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
~ Megan McCauley's "Reverie"

Sailor_Moon_Bunny
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: IMPORTANT: TO EVERY MEMBER

Post by Sailor_Moon_Bunny » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:38 am

Tiff wrote:I'm repeating what I said in the "Top Ten Anime" Topic (located in the Anime section) so that EVERYBODY will have read it. EVERYONE needs to read it again, becuase there is added info.

People, I am so tired of asking everyone to read every post. You should at LEAST be reading the post that introduces the topic.
I'm going to say this once more:
READ EVERY POST BEFORE REPLYING. IF I SEE ANOTHER REPEATING POST OR A POST GOING AGAINST THE GENERAL GUIDELINES OF THE TOPIC (ex: Em said ten. TEN. Not 8. Not 23. TEN.), IT WILL BE DELETED AND YOU WILL BE WARNED.

This is for EVERY TOPIC. I really am tired of wasting time deleting and editing posts. As a mod, I have to read every post, people. It won't kill you to read the posts in the topic which you will be replying.

If you come at me with "I didn't know", or "I didn't see it.", that excuse will be ignored, as I have posted this in TWO PLACES. Being a brand new member two weeks from now is one thing. ANYONE who is signed up now and actively posting should read this, and I will only be more pissed off if you don't.

I'm not trying to be a bitch, but i'm so tired of repeating myself. PLEASE stop wasting space, and only post if you are keeping to the topic and not repeating someone else's post.
Don't worry, I never do that....well maybe when I was 9 or 10 I did, but now I never!

Hehe....yah, even if the topic is more than 50 pages long....:roll:

You have my word.

Midoriko
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Midoriko » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:52 pm

Well I'm new here and I have to ask a question about this rule.

I read through the whole thread and I'm interested enough to express my opinion in the thread.. But, someone else has already posted something like my opinion. So, I'm not supposed to post in the thread??

Or, is it that I'm not supposed to make a post just to quote someone else.. as in your example in the first post of the thread

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Midoriko wrote:Well I'm new here and I have to ask a question about this rule.

I read through the whole thread and I'm interested enough to express my opinion in the thread.. But, someone else has already posted something like my opinion. So, I'm not supposed to post in the thread??

Or, is it that I'm not supposed to make a post just to quote someone else.. as in your example in the first post of the thread
You can most definitely add to an opinion if you agree. We just don't want people to repeat thesmelves with the SAME exact thing over and over. Also, an opinion needs to be your own. Agreeing is fine, but ADD to the discussion. Don't just quote people over and over and say "Yep!" without adding something.

Here's a good example:

A while back we had a thread about whether or not some sailor moon related thing was a rumor. It was PROVEN to be a rumor, and yet people kept constantly saying "yep, it's a rumor!" over and over, without adding anything new to the discussion.

Hope that helps.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama