I think I know why episode 6 was cut

Discuss the content of the site's comparisons here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Chibi Son Gokou
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

I think I know why episode 6 was cut

Post by Chibi Son Gokou » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:21 pm

Most people think that this episode was cut just cause Usagi walks into a bar, but I think there's more to it than that. First of all, DiC might have thought the entire episode overall had too mature of a theme and to maintain Sailor Moon's reputation as a kids show, they had to cut it out. Plus, DiC probably thought Usagi's disguise was a bit explicit. Then there's the really long scene where Usagi is riding in the car with the guy, who is driving on the passenger side and is on the left side of the road, and we know how much trouble DiC goes through to change all of that.
(Voice done by Masako Nozawa)

Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mendoza » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:48 am

All valid points.
Also the simple fact that the show was dragging in Dic's eyes at this point. They had to get to sailor mercury as quickly as possible and this episdoe was an easy choice as a sacrifical lamb.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:19 pm

Also, there's the fact that Usagi gets into the car of a stranger she just met. I imagine that if DiC had ended up dubbing the episode, they probably would've changed it so that Serena already knew the man, like he was related to her somehow or something, which would've required massive plot re-writing from them. So, rather than going through all this trouble of cutting and dialog changing, they probably felt like it would've been best if the episode was skipped all together, especially since it was just a filler-in episode. They also might've thought the submilinial music draining energy thing would be too scary for little kids or something. Or that man's story about the youma stalking him was too scary for kids to handle.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:34 pm

Or maybe the Youma itself would have been too scary for kids. If you think about it, the Youma in this episode looked like a demon from Hell, and DiC probably realized this. Anyway, that is another theory.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

RAPTOR948
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Location: I'd say either planet Shakuras, or Mako-chans appartment.

Post by RAPTOR948 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:37 pm

personally I thought Dic's dubbing was filled with holes and flaws and left too many questions unanswered, and when a question is left unanswered, it makes the curious seek the truth. I would've rather seen the episode cuz it would've still made sense. I'd rather the whole series subtitled anyways, it would make TONS of sense.
I appologize for offending anyone. I regret the wrongs I have commited, and am deeply sorry.

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:09 am

I thought that it was because of the bar scene and because Usagi sort of looked....mature to put it lightly. But other than that...I didn't really see a reason why to not air that episode.
R.I.P. Jennifer Blanco 11/09/87 - 11/13/05

"I go with the flow. Whatever music you play for me, I will dance."
- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

Wenderric
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Wenderric » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:15 am

I thought it was because writing a 'Sailor Says' for that episode would have been too difficult. Something like:

"Remember kids, if you can't get into a bar because you're too young, disguise yourself! Sailor Moon Says!"

It's entertaining for me.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:26 pm

lol, good one Wenderric.

I rather thought it was for all the reasons above. It's one of those side episodes that cause all kinds of over cautious censor problems. Personally I loved it. It showed Usagi's caring side.

First off, Usagi getting mad at a guy because he ruined her dress...the face she makes is a bit scary. Not the example of compassion our herione is suppose to give off.

Then there's Usagi's famous bar scene to go see the musician. She's underaged and dressed in a very "unique" outfit. Although I do love the hair. It's a bit more than parents want to have kids try.

Usagi then gets into a car with a guy she knows a whole two minutes. I will admit, the scene itself is very lovely. She and him have a wonderful talk about his one sided love. but kids are always told to stay out of strange cars. it's not something that DIC wanted to encourage. (that and the flood of angry parent mail)

About the comments on the youma, I agree. Giant bats, lots of giant bats and then you have bat woman! That even creeped me out a bit. It's bad enough the whole thing takes place at night time, but then you have scary bats everywhere. All I can say on their thinking is Angry Parent Mail.

That's probably the thoughts behind cutting this episode from the dub. It's another one of those times when saving themselves from the flood of angry letters and complains is more important than keeping the show whole. That and the edit job would have half the show cut. It's too much effort and time to cover for every problem.

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:59 pm

That is so true. If they had aired it, the original episode would have been completely butchered.
R.I.P. Jennifer Blanco 11/09/87 - 11/13/05

"I go with the flow. Whatever music you play for me, I will dance."
- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:49 pm

They probably would have re-used footage that was already shown, or clip footage from episodes not yet aired just to get the episode straight.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:16 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:lol, good one Wenderric.

First off, Usagi getting mad at a guy because he ruined her dress...the face she makes is a bit scary. Not the example of compassion our herione is suppose to give off.

Then there's Usagi's famous bar scene to go see the musician. She's underaged and dressed in a very "unique" outfit. Although I do love the hair. It's a bit more than parents want to have kids try.

Usagi then gets into a car with a guy she knows a whole two minutes. I will admit, the scene itself is very lovely. She and him have a wonderful talk about his one sided love. but kids are always told to stay out of strange cars. it's not something that DIC wanted to encourage. (that and the flood of angry parent mail)

About the comments on the youma, I agree. Giant bats, lots of giant bats and then you have bat woman! That even creeped me out a bit. It's bad enough the whole thing takes place at night time, but then you have scary bats everywhere. All I can say on their thinking is Angry Parent Mail.
I think the episode could've been dubbed with some careful and "creative" re-writing. I don't think Usagi getting mad at the guy for ruining her dress would be a big problem just because she's supposed to be a superheroine. It's not any worse than Usagi getting to school late, failing every single test, and her arguments with Rei. For the bar scene, they could've just edited her outfit some, like how 4Kids edited Mai's outfit in Yugioh. Then, they could've changed it so that the bar was a resturaunt, and instead of Usagi turning into an adult to sneak into the bar, they could have it explained that she was transforming into a rock star because she didn't have a ticket to get into that man's concert.

After all, her costume does look rock starish....DiC could've re-wrote the script, so that Usagi already knew Yusuke. Like, maybe change it so that he's her uncle or something. That way it would be ok for her to get into the car with him, since she already knew him. And as for the youma, all I think they really needed to do was cut out a few seconds of Yusuke's flashback there at the end where they show the youma sneaking up on him.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:31 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote: I think the episode could've been dubbed with some careful and "creative" re-writing.
Well yes, but DiC probably decided it was simply too much work to do all that and instead just decided it would be far easier to skip it. Granted, they did air episodes 45-46 butchered to death, but the difference is episodes 45-46 were very important as they ended the season whereas episode 6 was just filler and didn't serve much of a purpose aside from perhaps developing Usagi's character a tiny bit. It was much easier for them to simply skip episode six since it was filler and contained too much objectionable content, as opposed to doing all the re-writing and massive editing.

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am

as many have mentioned ht eeepisode would have required a major plot-rewriting in order to make it "acceptable' for DiC. However, many episodes were cut for no reason, other just becasue they had to much stuff going on such as "Day of Destiny" (*shudders at thouht of how they horribly butchered this part) I think one of the main reasons was to introduce Merucru ASAP nad because of all the extra stuff thats already been mentioned it was a top choice on the sacrifice lsit!
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:00 am

here's my theory on why all the episodes were skipped. Dic had ordered 72 episodes of Sailor Moon but the standard episode number for a cartoon airing in North America was 65 (unless it was really popular) When you consider that the 65th episode of the Japanese version is the one where Jupiter and Venus get their new attacks that would be a crappy way to end a series. So Dic wanted to end at episode 72 to give the show some closure in case it wasn't a success.

Yeah technically episode 72 isn't good since it leaves the show off with Rubeus promising revenge and Chibi Usa/Rini just learning about the Sailor team's Ids, but it gives some closure in the sense it ends the 4 weird sisters era and Rini finally learning the Scouts secret identities can be considered for closure if you didn't know what was going to happen next.

So to get to 72 episodes with only 65 they decided to get rid of 7 episodes worth. The reason they decided to get rid of half the solo Usagi episodes is fairly obvious they wanted to get to the other Scouts and the main plot faster. As for why the certain episodes were skipped, I think it's more so why the other episodes were kept.

episode 1-obvious

episode 3-semi important introduced the Disguise pen

episode 4-dieting and exercise there's a PSA waiting to happen

episode 7-episode about wanting to be a star perfect chance for some product placement for their Sailor Moon CD. (if the theme song and I wanna be a star playing in the episode is any indication

episode 20 was skipped for having nothing to do with the actual plot

episode 42 probably because it had nothing to do with the Sailor Moon/Tuxedo Mask affair

As a wild guess had Dic not found episode 45 and 46 objectable and left them as they were more than likely they would have skipped another episode so the show would theoretically end with all four sisters being healed not just 2 out of 4.

And of course episode 67 was skipped for having little action and nothing to do with the plot

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:49 pm

Do they still have that 65 episode rule?

I agree with all that was mentioned (Usagi sneaking into a bar dressed up as an adult, then going into a stranger's car) are good reasons to why episode six was cut.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Wed May 07, 2008 7:07 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:Do they still have that 65 episode rule?

I think it depends on how popular the show is. But even then many shows would break the rule.