ZOMG NO GUN! Episode 60/54 Chibiusa's arrival

Discuss the content of the site's comparisons here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Locked
User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

ZOMG NO GUN! Episode 60/54 Chibiusa's arrival

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Ok, after curiosity got the better of me, I decided to watch SM R episode 54 (DUB)

This was my reaction :shock: mostly due to the terrible script but also because the gun was cut and the terrbile editing. Chibiusa reversed herself! She went back into the portal!

It was so bad my mouth was literally agape. I understand that children watch the show and may immitate behaviour, but it's a cartoon. If they know that guns are dangerous they shouldn't go near them.

And what was the deal with "Sorry for landing on you sir" that completely destroyed Chibiusa's mysterious/mean streak.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:44 pm

That's the thing though, is that most kids who might have been watching this show don't have that mentality. They either don't know not to point guns at people, or they'll think that TV knows better than their parents and it looks cool to do so they'll do it, or some combination of that. I agree on the point that they could have done something else to have Chibiusa make her escape, or at least handled it better.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:24 am

However, Chibiusa was pointing a TOY GUN, which is obvious when the dart pops out of it, and toy guns exist. A cartoon is not going to determine whether a child will point a gun at someone. It is all dependent upon whether the parent owning the gun has proper gun safety in place and teaches the child the proper use of guns...ie, you never point a real gun, loaded or otherwise, at a person.

I think the fact that it was cut out was a stretch, considering in many, many cartoons, weapons are used against characters daily.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Yes, like in Looney Tunes, Elmer Fudd is always pointing a gun at Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam also seems quite fond of them.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:Yes, like in Looney Tunes, Elmer Fudd is always pointing a gun at Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam also seems quite fond of them.
Exactly. Even the most classic cartoons are full of violence and weaponry. Hell, look at Tom & Jerry.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:53 pm
Location: My Kingdom

Post by Princess Latona » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Tiff wrote:
Iced_Cappucino wrote:Yes, like in Looney Tunes, Elmer Fudd is always pointing a gun at Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam also seems quite fond of them.
Exactly. Even the most classic cartoons are full of violence and weaponry. Hell, look at Tom & Jerry.
Yup. Hell, the best example would be Wil E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. Seriously, how many times does Wil E. Coyote blow himself up/fall off a cliff/get run over by a truck/etc.? Just think of all the trouble we'd have if kids imitated HIM.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:11 pm

Princess Latona wrote: Yup. Hell, the best example would be Wil E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. Seriously, how many times does Wil E. Coyote blow himself up/fall off a cliff/get run over by a truck/etc.? Just think of all the trouble we'd have if kids imitated HIM.
Tom and Jerry comes to my mind first...Joe and I caught it on TV the other day, and were shocked at how violent it was. I had forgotten, honestly. I mean, those animals beat the hell out of eachother with everything handy.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:53 pm
Location: My Kingdom

Post by Princess Latona » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:06 am

Tiff wrote:
Princess Latona wrote: Yup. Hell, the best example would be Wil E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. Seriously, how many times does Wil E. Coyote blow himself up/fall off a cliff/get run over by a truck/etc.? Just think of all the trouble we'd have if kids imitated HIM.
Tom and Jerry comes to my mind first...Joe and I caught it on TV the other day, and were shocked at how violent it was. I had forgotten, honestly. I mean, those animals beat the hell out of eachother with everything handy.
Yup, they are Itchy and Scratchy lite, after all.

Just as Tom & Jerry came to mind first for you, so did Wil E. Coyote for me. He and the roadrunner were always my favorite Looney Tunes to catch (strange child that I was). And seriously, with how many times he managed to blow himself up, or fall off a cliff, or however else he managed to mangle himself in the course of one of those cartoons (much like Tom & Jerry) it would be a disaster if kids took what he did seriously. :(

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:19 pm

I know all that, but I was saying that in the context that DiC were only trying to cover their asses. They didn't want one of their shows to be blamed if some kid pointed a gun at someone because "Rini did it on Sailor Moon!" They also changed the entire scene in that episode in season one where Sailor Moon got knocked off the balcony by that possessed princess at the party and Tuxedo Mask caught her, and my theory on that is the same. They didn't want to get blamed if some kid said they were only doing it because they saw Sailor Moon do it. Don't forget that the entertainment industry does happen to take a lot of blame for the things kids have done, whether it's actually their fault or not. DiC just didn't want to get sued.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

User avatar
Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: In the trees

Post by Dinozore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Generally the less realistic a character is (and the less realistic the setting), the more it can get away with doing on TV.
Last edited by Dinozore on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

User avatar
Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:53 pm
Location: My Kingdom

Post by Princess Latona » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:10 pm

jupiter23 wrote:I know all that, but I was saying that in the context that DiC were only trying to cover their asses. They didn't want one of their shows to be blamed if some kid pointed a gun at someone because "Rini did it on Sailor Moon!" They also changed the entire scene in that episode in season one where Sailor Moon got knocked off the balcony by that possessed princess at the party and Tuxedo Mask caught her, and my theory on that is the same. They didn't want to get blamed if some kid said they were only doing it because they saw Sailor Moon do it. Don't forget that the entertainment industry does happen to take a lot of blame for the things kids have done, whether it's actually their fault or not. DiC just didn't want to get sued.
While I do see your point Jupiter, I think you're giving far too little credit to kids here. If a kid does something stupid because they "saw it on TV", then you have to wonder where the parents are. Why did a parent not tell them they can't do it? Why didn't the parents teach them that just because it's on TV doesn't necessarily mean it's possible. If a kid's watching so much TV that they believe whatever they see is possible, then you have to start questioning where their parents are that they use the TV as a babysitter/teaching implement.

It's funny you brought up how easily the entertainment industry gets blamed for kids' actions. I did a presentation about video games and kids for a class, and came across the idea of "folk demons" during my research. Folk demons are a fancy term for "scapegoat"; they're an easy target for critics to blast away at for the various ills that plague our society. Problem is, while they're blathering on about "OMG, violent games/sex/language!!!!11" they ignore the real reasons these problems are cropping up.

So to use the balcony scene that was cut in the dub as an example, it would have been extremely easy to blame DiC if little Jessie tried to imitate that scene. It's a lot harder to blame little Jessie's Mommy and Daddy for not teaching her that not everything on TV is realistic and meant to be imitated.

Grah, I'm rambling. I'll wrap up here before I make everyone stay up all night and read my thoughts on this issue. :oops:

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 am

That's the point I'm trying to make. There have been cases where the parent didn't teach their child not to do something they saw on TV, and it usually resulted in someone getting hurt or killed. My point is that DiC didn't want to get blamed for some uninformed kid killing a brother/sister/friend because of one of their shows. It's not that I'm giving kids too little credit, I'm saying kids don't always know the difference until their told otherwise.
It's funny you brought up how easily the entertainment industry gets blamed for kids' actions. I did a presentation about video games and kids for a class, and came across the idea of "folk demons" during my research. Folk demons are a fancy term for "scapegoat"; they're an easy target for critics to blast away at for the various ills that plague our society. Problem is, while they're blathering on about "OMG, violent games/sex/language!!!!11" they ignore the real reasons these problems are cropping up.
I know all about that. I've spent more than one Sociology class on the subject. People create their own demons, because it's easier to blame others for your problems than it is to blame yourself (for a lot of people, anyway.)
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:01 pm

I tried to watch the dub version of episode 60, I was like 'WTF?' when I watched it. Most of the time I had the sound off. Then I turned it on at the beginning of the episode and the dialogue was soooo off!!! After I heard the dialogue I turned off the sound again, it was terrible.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Locked