Comparison comments

Discuss the content of the site's comparisons here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Comparison comments

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:15 am

I wanted to put this here because I didnt want to go off topic too much in the Easter Egg Hunt thread, but oh man now that ive been re reading the comparisons my sides actually hurt. I had completely forgotten, or probably mentally supressed the god awful slang that was present in the dubbed series. To read about it now it amazes me how anyone can watch the dubs without either laughing hysterically or choking on bile. Thumbs up to Bob, Dan and Tiff for showing the cuts and adding humor to it to make the reading even more enjoyable.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:15 pm

XD Glad we can provide a good dose of hysteria.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 pm

Yeah, the comments can be completely hilarious sometimes. I'll edit this once I dig up some good quotes.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:03 pm

Hehe please do Doctor Casey because I am telling you some of their reactions to the story had me choking with laughter, and speaking of choking just got finished reading Dan's Dorito mishap, my god I laughed so hard at that I woke my son up. And ugh Ami talking slang is just wrong no matter what, Its not cool or hip to see someone who is supposed to be known for her intelligents reduced to a slang throwing home girl. Ugh *hugs my subbed versions like treasure.*

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:14 pm

Ami talking slang? Oh God, I think hell just froze over.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm

k big warning do not read comparisons while eating/drinking something specially soda. Read a comment from Bob about Beryl's cracked boobies while downing a coke zero and not only got the bad choking burning nostril thingie. But I laughed so hard it felt like I was going to pop a blood vessel in my head lol.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:24 am

Hehe *blows on finger nails* i still got it after all these years *evil grin*

TBA

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:53 am

Here's my two cents on the DiC dub. I rather be shot, pissed on, ran over, have every internal organ shredded, and the rest eaten by some African tribe then watch the dub. The original is always better and always will be. I'm sure there is others that feel the sameway.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:57 am

um ouch ChibiSteven, but I will agree I dont think I could sit volunteerily threw a Dubbed episode ever again.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:53 am

...I really must be who prefers the dub over the sub, in some cases. Call me lazy, but I can't keep up with the subtitles for the life of me. Sometimes, the original Japanese is just too dark. I mean, I'm usually all for darkness in anime, but we're talking about 14 year olds being killed by the evil force. Doesn't that kind of count toward child violence, in some way??

Call me an idiot, even hypocritical, if you want. But there's a certain nostalgia to the dub that I don't get when I'm watching the subs. So yeah, whatever.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:01 pm

I dont knock ya for liking the Dub Neon, if it had been the only version out there of the series I may have agreed since its not without some humor. But after watching the originals and seeing the differences in personalities especially, I just cant sit threw the americanized slanged filled version of the show. And even now its hard to watch the subbed original at times cause to me now its a more watered down version of the manga itself. I just think that the people responsible for the Dub should have paid a bit more attention to the character crossover. Sure some of the senshi and their alts could have gotten away with using slang but for crying out loud Ami should not have been one of them. Then to try to erase cultural references made no sense because it is obvious the setting was not in the U.S. it just seems insulting to me that they would go (albeit half assed) out of the way to cover up the cultural themes like signs and newspapers instead of just trying to more acurately translate them. Instead of Crossroads why not make a Romanasized sign saying Jubaan school? They could have changed the signs of alot of that stuff since they did waste time adding other useless effects. And like the comparisons note they dont even bother taking Kana out of some shots just half cover up them. So it just seems like the dub was done by half assed people and it makes it hard for me to watch.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:33 pm

Let's remind ourselves of something here.

SMU was created to inform and entertain people. It was created to show people the differences in a cartoon that had been dubbed and heavily edited, not to create a sense of "anti-dub" or "dubbies vs subbies". Most of the comments we make in our comparisons are for humor purposes, and we aren't out to kill anybody who enjoys the dub, nor are we out to destroy the company that created it.

It's OKAY to like the dub. It's OKAY to enjoy itw hile watching it. It's OKAY to have a nostalgic feeling when you watch it. I love the original as much as anybody, but at one point I did watch and enjoy the dub. And I'm not about to knock anybody who may still enjoy or even PREFER the dub.

This is a CARTOON we're talking about, and getting extremely enraged or serious about it is a bit...well, it isn't healthy >_>;;

Either way, let's all remember that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I dont knock ya for liking the Dub Neon, if it had been the only version out there of the series I may have agreed since its not without some humor. But after watching the originals and seeing the differences in personalities especially, I just cant sit threw the americanized slanged filled version of the show. And even now its hard to watch the subbed original at times cause to me now its a more watered down version of the manga itself. I just think that the people responsible for the Dub should have paid a bit more attention to the character crossover. Sure some of the senshi and their alts could have gotten away with using slang but for crying out loud Ami should not have been one of them. Then to try to erase cultural references made no sense because it is obvious the setting was not in the U.S. it just seems insulting to me that they would go (albeit half assed) out of the way to cover up the cultural themes like signs and newspapers instead of just trying to more acurately translate them. Instead of Crossroads why not make a Romanasized sign saying Jubaan school? They could have changed the signs of alot of that stuff since they did waste time adding other useless effects. And like the comparisons note they dont even bother taking Kana out of some shots just half cover up them. So it just seems like the dub was done by half assed people and it makes it hard for me to watch.
I have to agree some aspects of the dub are really half-assed. Alot of DiC's background music sucked and had no place in the show. Some of their songs were decent, but alot of those kind of sucked like their version of the Sailor Moon theme song for example.

Tiff wrote:Let's remind ourselves of something here.

SMU was created to inform and entertain people. It was created to show people the differences in a cartoon that had been dubbed and heavily edited, not to create a sense of "anti-dub" or "dubbies vs subbies". Most of the comments we make in our comparisons are for humor purposes, and we aren't out to kill anybody who enjoys the dub, nor are we out to destroy the company that created it.

It's OKAY to like the dub. It's OKAY to enjoy itw hile watching it. It's OKAY to have a nostalgic feeling when you watch it. I love the original as much as anybody, but at one point I did watch and enjoy the dub. And I'm not about to knock anybody who may still enjoy or even PREFER the dub.

This is a CARTOON we're talking about, and getting extremely enraged or serious about it is a bit...well, it isn't healthy >_>;;

Either way, let's all remember that.
This is a good point you have.

Crysta
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Crysta » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:38 pm

I have to say, I actually prefer "Carry On" over "Moonlight Densetsu" for the final battle with Beryl/Metallia. It just fit much better, considering this is the big, final battle - it doesn't really make much sense for MD to be playing there since (from what I remember of the lyrics) MD is about love and whatnot... how does that fit with Usagi sacrificing herself to kill Beryl/Metallia?

I'm also quite fond of the dub song that plays when Usagi first turns into Princess Serenity and the rainbow crystals become the ginzuishou again. I can't remember what played in the original, but the dub song was nice too.

Of course, the theme tune for the dub was horrendous, though. ><
DiC got it right sometimes, but they messed up a lot too.

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:00 pm

Crysta wrote:I have to say, I actually prefer "Carry On" over "Moonlight Densetsu" for the final battle with Beryl/Metallia. It just fit much better, considering this is the big, final battle - it doesn't really make much sense for MD to be playing there since (from what I remember of the lyrics) MD is about love and whatnot... how does that fit with Usagi sacrificing herself to kill Beryl/Metallia?

I'm also quite fond of the dub song that plays when Usagi first turns into Princess Serenity and the rainbow crystals become the ginzuishou again. I can't remember what played in the original, but the dub song was nice too.

Of course, the theme tune for the dub was horrendous, though. ><
DiC got it right sometimes, but they messed up a lot too.
Those peices work. Because the song writer decided to "actually work on it", not just throw it together. Although the lyrics could use more work on the fight scene.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Im sorry if the topic turned into a dub bash it was definately not the intent, I just wanted to comment on the witty comments made about the changes and how fun it is to read them, still got to watch eating or drinking while reading them though cause it could be very dangerous lol

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:49 pm

I agree that some of those comments are funny.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:30 am

I'm just glad you guys can at least admit you liked the dub (or still do). I can't stand it when people see an original version and go bashing the dub left and right, and saying, "No no I've ALWAYS liked the original! I HATE HATE the dub!!"
...right. Even though they probably never would've known about the series if the dub didn't exist. >.>;;;
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:55 am

I love a lot of the comments that are in the comparisons. I seem to remember one comment that sticks out in my mind, really well:

"WHY AM I SO FAT *EATS WHOLE BOX OF OREOS* WHY"

Or something like that! XDDD
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL