About a skipped episode... (5; Chanela's steal love)

Discuss the content of the site's comparisons here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

About a skipped episode... (5; Chanela's steal love)

Post by Sailor V » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:07 pm

A friend told me that they skipped it not only because Umino was a giant perv, but because the monsters would scare younger viewers. Good job DiC, that had to be one of the stupidest reasons.
Last edited by Sailor V on Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that's one of the episodes that nobody's completely sure why it was cut, actually. Morga was way scarier than Baam.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:30 pm

Um....No. It was cut becuase of the pervyness and becuase Haruna's skirt was flipped up, showing her underwear.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by the dooky » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:24 pm

I don't think that's ever been confirmed. Besides, the skirt-flipping incident could have been cut out with ease (and as I recall, this was the only real incident of perviness in the whole episode). I always got the impression they just wanted to cut down the number of Usagi-only episodes.
Amazoness! Because men seldom make passes at girls who routinely kill men.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:14 am

Wrong episode. It was episode number 5. It had Shingo kicking Luna and the Chanela's being evil. They say that it was because having an evil pet could scare younger viewers. They cut number 2 because they could, let's leave it at that.

the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by the dooky » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:02 am

What? Given your comments about Umino, this thread was pretty obviously about episode 2. Umino barely appears in episode 5.

And the reason you give still doesn't make sense. Shingo kicking Luna could have been cut, and the Chanela are no scarier than the freaky possessed dolls in episode 18. Who is this "they" of which you speak? As far as I was aware, there had never been any official comment on why any of the episodes were cut - only speculation. So could you be so good as to provide a source for your claim?

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:52 am

Tiff wrote:Um....No. It was cut because of the pervyness and because Haruna's skirt was flipped up, showing her underwear.
I think it's more about Umino's behavior while under Bam's control. Flipping up Haruna's skirt, throwing rocks at the school, tripping Haruna-sensei, trying to force a kiss on Usagi...

And there's also the fact the boys were being controlled by "The Devil" tarot card.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:19 am

the dooky wrote:What? Given your comments about Umino, this thread was pretty obviously about episode 2. Umino barely appears in episode 5.
I had the episodes mixed up.
the dooky wrote:And the reason you give still doesn't make sense. Shingo kicking Luna could have been cut, and the Chanela are no scarier than the freaky possessed dolls in episode 18.
Does DiC ever make sense?
the dooky wrote:Who is this "they" of which you speak? As far as I was aware, there had never been any official comment on why any of the episodes were cut - only speculation.
DiC is the "they" I was talking about.
the dooky wrote:So could you be so good as to provide a source for your claim?
A friend who looked it up on TV.com. I know it isn't a good source. but that is where he got it.

the dooky
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by the dooky » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:10 am

Sailor V wrote:Does DiC ever make sense?
They're not known for it, which is why I think trying assign reasons to why they cut specific episodes is pretty pointless. And the argument was yours, not theirs. I don't want to sound rude, but you can't put forward an argument, be told that it's not believable and then blame it on DiC. There's no logic in that.
Sailor V wrote:DiC is the "they" I was talking about.
Are you sure?
Sailor V previously wrote:They say that it was because having an evil pet could scare younger viewers.
The "they" I was asking about were the people who had stated this as the reason. And as you yourself admit, this information comes not from DiC but from an anonymous contributor on TV.com. My point is that nobody associated with DiC has ever - to my knowledge - explained why any of the episodes were cut. So any explanations you'll see are, at best, speculation, and should really be labelled as such. Just because something's written down, it doesn't make it true. Especially on the Internet.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:39 am

Umino wrote:
Tiff wrote:Um....No. It was cut because of the pervyness and because Haruna's skirt was flipped up, showing her underwear.
I think it's more about Umino's behavior while under Bam's control. Flipping up Haruna's skirt, throwing rocks at the school, tripping Haruna-sensei, trying to force a kiss on Usagi...

And there's also the fact the boys were being controlled by "The Devil" tarot card.
*Blink* which is EXACTLY what i meant/said. By "pervyness" I mean the forced kissed, flipping up the skirt, etc.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:12 pm

I bet the real reason DIC cut this episode was so they could introduce sailor mercury a lot sooner. perhaps they thought the fans would get bored with all the episodes with Serena by herself.

I know its a dumb reason but this is DIC afterall
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:35 pm

Tiff wrote:*Blink* which is EXACTLY what i meant/said. By "pervyness" I mean the forced kissed, flipping up the skirt, etc.
You mentioned the perverted actions, you didn't mention how Umino was throwing rocks at school windows, tripping Haruna, wasn't listening in class, overall acting like a deliquent.

There wasn't much pervy-ness aside from the skirt flip, and the forced kiss. Cutting those two things would've been simple. Everything else, would've been tricky.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:10 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:I bet the real reason DIC cut this episode was so they could introduce sailor mercury a lot sooner. perhaps they thought the fans would get bored with all the episodes with Serena by herself.

I know its a dumb reason but this is DIC afterall
I don't think that's a dumb reason at all. That's a very realistic reason, in comparison, the Usagi only episodes are a lot more boring than the ones with the other senshi there. There's just no interaction between characters, because there ARE no other characters.

TBA

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:52 am

I really liked the Usagi-only episodes, but I doubt I'd have been able to appreciate them nearly as much as a kid, and as that was DiC's targeted demographic...

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:02 pm

I never liked the Usagi-only episodes. She just can't carry the show herself, imo...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Dinozore wrote:I never liked the Usagi-only episodes. She just can't carry the show herself, imo...
Neither did I. I do think that later in the series she probably could've carried the series by herself, not that I would have wanted her to, but her character grew as the show went on.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:28 pm

Since we are on the subject, I feel that we should have had more Usagi/Ami episodes. We olnly had 1 full episode and 0.5 of the other episode.

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:45 pm

I liked that Usagi was given a chance to beef up in the original. eah, she wasn't exactly capable of handling EVERYTHING on her own, but at least she was given a chance to show that she was capable of doing something by herself. Unlike in the dub.

And yeah, there should've been more episodes with just Usagi and Ami. It seemed like they brought Rei in as soon as they did just so they could have a powerful senshi.

sailorceres
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by sailorceres » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:28 am

im just sad they cut it because i loved shingos cute friend...they cut a bunch of episodes for no reason and this was one of them thats all
Aitto Seigi, Sailor no Bishojo Senshi, Seera Mun! Tsukini Kawatte, Oshioki Yo!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:26 am

sailorceres wrote:im just sad they cut it because i loved shingos cute friend...they cut a bunch of episodes for no reason and this was one of them thats all
Several reasons were mentioned. o.O what do you mean "no reason"?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama