The S movie DVD.....

Discuss the content of the site's comparisons here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

ZeoViolet
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

The S movie DVD.....

Post by ZeoViolet » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:41 pm

I haven't been here for a long time. I hope this is the right forum. I can't (yet) find specific reviews for the movies DVD versions.

It's been a long time since I visited this site, but I distinctly remembered nobody who reviewed the edited S movie liked it. (Personally, as a movie itself in English, it wasn't all bad. Nitpicky compare it to my VHS of the uncut subtitled edition, though, it becomes atrocious.)

The other day I obtained the DVD for the first time, because I was dying to see what they'd done to the uncut version of it--if they bothered to change it at all, or just had the same US background music with all footage intact.

Bouncing back between Japanese language track and English, I was plesantly surprised one one small note, though--the Heinshin background music was returned to it's original form instead of that early SM music. (That music itself I enjoy, but it seemed wrong to hear it with uncensored heinshein sequences). And the restored stuff that had been edited out seemed to fare remarkably well in English, IMHO.

There was ONE thing, though, that irked me. It was in the "Character" section of the DVD. It said Usagi was an overage Junior High Student. Overage? Unless this is a reference to their lost year, which I doubt, then all of them must have been held back, 'cause they are all the same age.

Anybody else notice this?

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:51 pm

I think they meant "average". It's probably a typo. The Pioneer DVDs had a few like those. In one of the S DVDs, they had a character gallery for Chibi-usa that said "Meet Sailor Chibi-Usa's"
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

ZeoViolet
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ZeoViolet » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:54 pm

*laughs* I considered that, but it seemed that when you release a DVD, you catch such spelling errors.....unless they were using a program that is supposed to catch them.....

RattleMan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RattleMan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:08 am

ZeoViolet wrote:*laughs* I considered that, but it seemed that when you release a DVD, you catch such spelling errors.....unless they were using a program that is supposed to catch them.....
Technically, it's not gonna be recognized when run through a spell checker, because "overage" IS a word ^_^

I bought the R/S/SS/ Movie DVDs, and I love watching them. I'm still looking for the edited (yes, EDITED) VHSes, though.
[Rattle's Web Spot]
[Sonic X Uncensored]

Most Frequested Places:
[SMU] [Sonic-CulT] [Sonic Classic] [SoaH]
[SWS2B] [Zophar's] [DaizenshuuEX]
[My LiveJournal]

~ RattleMan's SMU Signature ~
~ April 10th, 2005 ~

ZeoViolet
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ZeoViolet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 pm

RattleMan wrote:
ZeoViolet wrote:*laughs* I considered that, but it seemed that when you release a DVD, you catch such spelling errors.....unless they were using a program that is supposed to catch them.....
Technically, it's not gonna be recognized when run through a spell checker, because "overage" IS a word ^_^

I bought the R/S/SS/ Movie DVDs, and I love watching them. I'm still looking for the edited (yes, EDITED) VHSes, though.
Actually, that is what I meant....guess I wasn't clear. I meant, "It seems that when you release a DVD, you catch such speling errors....unless you use a program that is supposed to catch them, *since overage IS a word*."

I do have all the VHS edited editions as well as the special uncut subtitled VHS editions. Before now I never saw a reason to obtain the DVD's since I could mentally apply the uncut parts to the edited editions (Plus the DVD's were very expensive). But when I found this one on sale, used, I couldn't resist.

Remember the part up above where I said it was nice to see they returned to the original background music in the english language track, especially for the heinshin scenes? It makes it doubly ironic that they kept "Sailor Mini Moon" when in the background of HER transformation scene, it continued to play "Chibi-Moon!" :roll:

Pioneer did this too in the early SuperS episode, the only other time this sequence for Chibi-Moon was played, I seem to recall....

devilmaykickass
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by devilmaykickass » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:00 am

Wow, I didn't notice that until now. That's hilarious.

Malachite
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Malachite » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:14 pm

Then again, it could make sense in a way, considering one would think that Usagi's had to repeat certain grades so many times. :lol: Then again, that probably works differently in Japan, or Usagi always manages to pull a miracle out of her butt at the last minute.

jeccaneko
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by jeccaneko » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:29 pm

RattleMan wrote: I bought the R/S/SS/ Movie DVDs, and I love watching them. I'm still looking for the edited (yes, EDITED) VHSes, though.
I actually used to have those - I bought them when they first came out on VHS. Unfortunately I sold them because I no longer have a VCR - I rebought all of the stuff I still liked on DVD. When I bought the 3 Sailor Moon movies on DVD I was actually, believe it or not, disappointed that the DiC music wasn't there for the dubbed version. I had gotten used to hearing The Power of Love during the R movie when Serena and the rest are trying to stop from crashing to their dooms. I like Moon Revenge, but it kinda felt reserved for the original Japanese language version. They may not have the rest of the DiC music there, but at least the "Power of Love" version of that scene in the dub is on the DVD in the extras section.

sailod diva
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailod diva » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:45 pm

i loved the sailor r the movie the best but I'm sorry during the climax of the movie i preferred the English song to the Japanese song called "moons revenge"
Hey this is sailor diva. check out my new website at 360.yahoo.com/sailordiva30. I''ve got a sailor solder photo album and a pic of my own original senshi. I also have other pics and privite thoughts on my blog. See u later. :wink:

Matto
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Matto » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:41 pm

I noticed the mistakes (typos mind you) in my R movie DVD. Mostly it's Rini and that's it, but when I watch the dub that music and sound effects seem kind of muted. I noticed this in the Power of Love bonus clip...weird. :?