Free web hosts with no ads and allows direct-linking. HELP.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Free web hosts with no ads and allows direct-linking. HELP.

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 pm

Now that sailormoon.com has dropped their web hosting... I've been looking for another webhost. To host stuff for me, that I can use for on forums like direct-link to stuff I put up.

Any help will be appricated.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:14 am

It's hard to find any type of service now that isn't supported by ads on free accounts. Everything that you want is pretty much impossible to find for free unless you happen to know a friend that owns a domain that can create FTP accounts for other users.

I can recommend Photobucket for your image hosting needs. You can just create an account and upload images into albums and to link off-site. I've been using it for years and I have no complaints. You get a gracious amount of space and monthly bandwidth on free accounts (1gig space/25gig bw per month) and a small range of uploading options.

If you want something faster and less personal you can also use ImageShack. I've used it a lot in the past when I helped out with icon contest communities. I can say with all honesty that I'm not a fan, but it's reliable and can get the job done.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out and suggest web hosts that fit your needs. I haven't really looked into free hosting in I can't tell you how many years.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Anton-P
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Anton-P » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:10 pm

And what happened to sailormoon.com? I thought that place will exist forever :shock:
I visited the website now and there is no login form and all email boxes were moved to mail.com... Are they closing it or something?

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Who knows what happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First message, dated April 2nd, 2009
Dear User,

On April 7, 2009 we will upgrade your email service to a new, enhanced webmail user interface provided by mail.com. The new service includes the following great features absolutely free of charge:

3 gigabytes of storage
Spam and virus protection
Mail alert
Free customer support
You may experience some minor disruption if you log in to your email at the time of the upgrade, however all your email, address book and calendar data remain safe and will be fully restored to your account. We apologise for any temporary inconvenience.

We are confident that you will approve of the new webmail interface. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Yours sincerely,
sailormoon.com Member Services
This is the second message recieved dated April 3rd 2009... Jez. That's little warning.
Dear User,

We are in the process of upgrading your sailormoon.com account to a new and improved user interface.

We note that you have uploaded data to the sailormoon.com Web Hosting & File Cabinet service. Unfortunately, the new sailormoon will not support Web Hosting & File Cabinet and we therefore urge you to download and keep any important data you may have stored there. *Please retrieve your data from your Web Hosting service before April 7, 2009.* After that date you will no longer have access to the Web Hosting & File Cabinet service and any data in it will be lost.

We apologise for any inconvenience. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Yours sincerely,
sailormoon.com Member Services
Last message.
Dear User,

Welcome to mail.com. This new, enhanced webmail user interface provided by mail.com includes the following great features absolutely free of charge:

3 gigabytes of storage
Spam and virus protection
Mail alert
Free customer support
You may experience some minor disruption if you log in to your email at the time of the upgrade, however all your email, address book and calendar data remain safe and will be fully restored to your account. We apologise for any temporary inconvenience.

We are confident that you will approve of the new webmail interface. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Yours sincerely,
mail.com Member Services